• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Hi all,

Firstly, big thanks all the developer/contributors to this addin.

Ive installed it in my site, and it works fine, except for one issue:

I had a problem of that all orders were being marked as Preparing [PayPal IPN] at each stage of the process. So even once the paypal payment had been made and the customer returned to my site, instead of being updated to my default it was also marked as Preparing [PayPal IPN]

It then dawned on me that the reason for this is that I do not have a \catalog\ directory on my website...everything is in the root directory. So, instead of uploading the file to www.mysite.com\catalog\ext\modules\payment\paypal_ipn\ipn.php , I changed this to www.mysite.com\ext\modules\payment\paypal_ipn\ipn.php

However, this doesnt seem to do the trick....I am obviously missing something else out somewhere in one of the files.

Any help much appreciated.

Anybody with a Taxable/Non Taxable mixed catalog had problems with PP overwriting the tax amoount passed by OSC?

OSC calculated the correct amount during the review_order.php (ony one product was taxable in the cart) but after the customer was taken to Paypal, they recalculated the tax based on the entire cart :-)

Thank you for your feedback on this!

It then dawned on me that the reason for this is that I do not have a \catalog\ directory on my website...everything is in the root directory. So, instead of uploading the file to www.mysite.com\catalog\ext\modules\payment\paypal_ipn\ipn.php , I changed this to www.mysite.com\ext\modules\payment\paypal_ipn\ipn.php

However, this doesnt seem to do the trick....I am obviously missing something else out somewhere in one of the files.

Try removing the payment module in admin, then installing it again. This should make sure only up to date values are in the database.

Have you set the IPN settings in your PayPal account? If so, remove them. It's only necessary to use the Auto Return setting.

HTH

---john---

Try removing the payment module in admin, then installing it again. This should make sure only up to date values are in the database.

Have you set the IPN settings in your PayPal account? If so, remove them. It's only necessary to use the Auto Return setting.

HTH

---john---

Woot!

I hadnt enabled the IPN settings in my paypal account, but a removal of the module and reinstallation did the trick!!!

Thanks John...much appreciated!!!

Woot!

I hadnt enabled the IPN settings in my paypal account, but a removal of the module and reinstallation did the trick!!!

Thanks John...much appreciated!!!

Ugh, I spoke a bit too soon...this is what my order info in my admin looks like:

12/03/2006 14:37:00 False Preparing [PayPal IPN]

12/03/2006 14:38:14 False Pending PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; £5.19)]

12/03/2006 14:38:48 True Preparing [PayPal IPN]

First entry is just before transferring to PayPal

Second entry is just after customer has clicked Pay Now on PayPal site

Third entry is when customer is returned to my site -->> this looks like its labelled incorrectly; should it not be Pending??

Btw, my default status is "Pending"

does anyone know how I can get the subtotal,tax,shipping & total to show up on the checkout_payment.php page?

I don't know if it matters but I am also using the QTpro contribution.

I tried to simplycopy the following code from checkout_confirmation.php but I got errors.

<?php
 if (MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_INSTALLED) {
$order_total_modules->process();
echo $order_total_modules->output();
 }
?>

Edited by spencermjax

Does anyone have any ideas why I am receiving these errors???

Hello, I tested PayPal for a while and never had a problem. However, today I went live and tried to use it and we received this error when selecting that option at checkout. Does anyone have any ideas what this means. Appreciate your help...

Warning: fopen(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-data.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 367

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 368

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 369

Warning: openssl_pkcs7_sign(): error getting private key in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 374

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-data.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 376

Warning: file_get_contents(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 379

Warning: fopen(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 383

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 384

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 385

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-signed.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 391

Warning: file_get_contents(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 394

Warning: unlink(/hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment//948226-8-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /hsphere/local/home/skeeweea/absolutelybeautifulhairillusions.com/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 398

I have another request for this mod.

I seem to have alot of IPN Pending orders in admin. Of course, each one I have to duble check as to wether I have an actual paypal order for the one in the admin. My feeling is that many people are going through the process and want to get to the final page (on my site) to see their "grand total" and are abandoning their cart. I was thinking that there is probably a way to determine if a customer actually clicked the confirm order button and got to paypal or simply made it to the checkout_process page and quit. If it could be determined that they actually did not go to paypal, we could set the ststus of the admin order to something else.

Does any of this make sense??

I seem to have alot of IPN Pending orders in admin. Of course, each one I have to duble check as to wether I have an actual paypal order for the one in the admin.

Are you saying that you get orders accepted by PayPal, but not updated in the orders table?

My feeling is that many people are going through the process and want to get to the final page (on my site) to see their "grand total" and are abandoning their cart.

What's stopping them? The checkout_confirmation page IS the page where the grand total is shown, at least it is if you've turned on the correct items in the order total module.

I was thinking that there is probably a way to determine if a customer actually clicked the confirm order button and got to paypal or simply made it to the checkout_process page and quit.

If they click the confirm order button, your order status changes to Preparing PayPal IPN.

If they make it to checkout_process then the payment has been accepted by PayPal and they have been redirected back to you shop successfully. If they quit at that point - you've logged and verified the order anyway.

If it could be determined that they actually did not go to paypal, we could set the ststus of the admin order to something else.

I can't see anyway of doing that, and it's the wrong logic I feel. You can't really check for something not happening in that way, only 'not happened within a specific time frame', which is what you do at the moment - decide the anything that's been in the 'Preparing' state for 48 hours or so must be an abandoned order. I don't think the paypal API has a way of returning the data you want.

cheers

---john---

No confirmation email for customer, although have returned successfully from PayPal IPN.

Hi. I really hope someone can help me. I have Paypal IPN 1.4 installed, with auto return enabled (in PayPals Website Payment Preferences), to http://www.dogdrugs.co.uk/checkout_process.php (set up in osC admin panel) - I don't have SSL. I ordered an item today and was returned to the site and received the checkout_success. My store received email confirmation from Dog Drugs (osC), but I as a fake customer didn't receive the email confirmation, although my shopping cart was emptied.

In the Paypal Profile I have Instant Payment Notification (IPN) Off, like you're supposed to.

IN osC Paypal IPN admin I don't have a temporary directory set up.

The store also received this email from Dog Drugs (osC), with the subject "PayPal IPN Invalid Process" which I can't understand:

$_POST:

payment_date=01:30:38 Dec 04, 2006 PST

txn_type=web_accept

last_name=Malone

residence_country=GB

item_name=Dog Drugs Ltd Pet Drug Store

payment_gross=

mc_currency=GBP

[email protected]

payment_type=instant

verify_sign=AiKZhEEPLJjSIccz.2M.qweEEeFwAzT-lMu3kTxZjm2tg.t08nlRdozS

payer_status=unverified

tax=0.00

[email protected]

txn_id=2C351334333999041Y

quantity=1

[email protected]

first_name=Sal

invoice=21

payer_id=M57237M57237

receiver_id=UNHRSP2G8TE7U

item_number=

payment_status=Completed

payment_fee=

mc_fee=0.31

shipping=2.95

mc_gross=3.22

custom=2

charset=windows-1252

notify_version=2.1

$_GET:

The customer also sees a whole load of stuff in their account history, just from this one transaction:

04/12/2006 Preparing [PayPal IPN] just testing the comments box

04/12/2006 Preparing [PayPal IPN] just testing the comments box

04/12/2006 Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; £3.22)]

04/12/2006 Processing PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]

04/12/2006 Processing PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; £3.22)]

Really hope you can help me. Thanks.

macanics,

What's stopping them? The checkout_confirmation page IS the page where the grand total is shown, at least it is if you've turned on the correct items in the order total module.

Well my issue was that I did not want the admin to et cluttered with so many IPN processing orders. Once they get to that page the order is logged in admin. if they quite there the unprocessed (by paypal) order is still in admin. So I thought that I gould give them a total prior to getting to checkout_confirmation, that would help.

I also understand what you are saying about the logic of not being able to check if they "do not do something".

After a couple of hours of tinkering, I finally got the pricing/shipping stuff on the checkout_payment page. Let's see if that helps.

Thanks for the comments.

Not sure if this contribution is working the way that it should be.

This is how its working in my store:

STEP 1

Customer places goods in his shopping basket and gets to the http://mysite.com/checkout_confirmation.php page. At this point (before exiting this page), the order is placed into the orders table - as verified by the following screenshot - and given a status of PayPal [Preparing IPN]. This does not seem right to me - shouldnt the orders table and status update only occur once the customer has clicked the "confirm order" button on this page??

untitled-1.jpg

untitled-2.jpg

STEP 2

Customer makes payment on the PayPal site either via PayPal itself, or via credit card.

Step 2, Option 1:

If paying via PayPal, the transfer back to my store takes place automatically. The following updates are shown in my database, all of which look correct:

untitled-4.jpg

untitled-5.jpg

Step 2, Option 2:

If paying by credit, the customer clicks the Pay Now button and a record is created in my database. However, the customer the customer is then given the choice of creating a PayPal account, and must click the "Return to merchant store" text link in order to return back to my store (off topic - this is absolutely shocking behaviour by PayPal).

The following updates are then shown in my store:

The first image seems incorrect - why is the second order status pending (which occurs when the Pay Now button is clicked at PayPal), and the third order status then reverts back to Preparing [PayPal IPN] ?? It looks like these are the wrong way around !!

untitled-6.jpg

Even more strange is that on the order list in the backend, the status is shown as Pending!!!

untitled-7.jpg

CONCLUSION

So, in conclusion, two main issues that I have:

1. Why is the Preparing [PayPal IPN] created when the http://mysite.com/checkout_confirmation.php page is loaded, and not when the "Confirm order" button on this page is clicked? Although my initial thoughts were that the Fast Easy Checkout contribution (which adds the checkout_shipping and checkout_payment into one page) may be the culprit, I am not convinced.

2. Why does the order status not work properly when the customer pays via credit card, but does work correctly when the customer pays via PayPal?

Any enlightened answers to the above would be GREATLY appreciated.

So, in conclusion, two main issues that I have:

1. Why is the Preparing [PayPal IPN] created when the page is loaded, and not when the "Confirm order" button on this page is clicked? Although my initial thoughts were that the Fast Easy Checkout contribution (which adds the checkout_shipping and checkout_payment into one page) may be the culprit, I am not convinced.

2. Why does the order status not work properly when the customer pays via credit card, but does work correctly when the customer pays via PayPal?

1. That is the way this IPN contribution works, a preparing IPN order gets created before checkout confirmation is pressed. Your FEC has nothing to do with it.

2. There have been a flurry of posts regarding paypal credit card payments in the last two pages of this thread - have a read maybe it will help you.

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Hi Chooch,

Thanks for the replies. Couple of quick questions on your response:

1. That is the way this IPN contribution works, a preparing IPN order gets created before checkout confirmation is pressed. Your FEC has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for confirming this. Not that I am pointing fingers, but I have to ask the question why it is done like this...why not only create the preparing IPN order after checkout confirmation is pressed?

2. There have been a flurry of posts regarding paypal credit card payments in the last two pages of this thread - have a read maybe it will help you.

I have read all of these, and whilst I understand the practicalities of the PayPal site, please can you confirm that:

(i) When a customer pay with his PayPal account, the order status in the database is

- Preparing [PayPal IPN] (customer not notified)

- Preparing [PayPal IPN] (customer notified)

- Pending (customer not notified); PayPal IPN Verified

(ii) When a customer pay with his credit card on the PayPal site, the order status in the database is

Lastly, assuming that scenario (ii) is correct, why is the last order status in the individual customer order shown as Preparing [PayPal IPN] (customer notified), but in the list of recent orders the status is shown as Pending?

Thanks again for the help.

(i) When a customer pay with his PayPal account, the order status in the database is

If the customer selected paypal ipn at checkout, the order is created with the status (preparing ipn) whether or not checkout confirmation or paypal.com is achieved or not - the order is there. The customer obviously can't be notified and order status is not pending. Keep in mind it will only show 'notified customer' if checkout process is achieved and yes, the above scenario is correct.

(ii) When a customer pay with his credit card on the PayPal site, the order status in the database is

Lastly, assuming that scenario (ii) is correct, why is the last order status in the individual customer order shown as Preparing [PayPal IPN] (customer notified), but in the list of recent orders the status is shown as Pending?

I have no experience of paypal ipn credit/debit card payments so I can only see from what other people have written in the last two pages of credit/debit card transactions concerning paypal (and it doesn't look too good). Maybe I might make a test credit/debit card transaction and see what happens but from the posts here it seems like it is up to paypal to help out a little bit with the return link and they probably won't. Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

why it is done like this...why not only create the preparing IPN order after checkout confirmation is pressed?

This is the way it has to be. IPN module is different from most other payment modules. After the confirm button has been pressed, with other module selected, checkout_process takes place and continue the payment processing in your store. This is not the case for IPN module. With IPN selected, payments are processed at Paypal, there for IPN module has to do many jobs which should be taken care by checkout_process, prior to confirmation. That's why it creates order before confirmation.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

It is also different from stock PayPal module. Stock PayPal module doesn't need to wait for feedback from PayPal. For IPN to work, the order must be create before sending customers to PayPal.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

That's why it creates order before confirmation.
I have wondered about this from when I first installed this IPN contribution. I don't think it is absolutely neccessary for that to happen and it can be configured to show an order after checkout confirmation has been pressed - it can keep in line with the current format which simply updates an abandoned cart (via order number) and updates it if the customer returns back to the store. Maybe because it isn't absolutely vital so no-one has tried changing it but it can be done.

It is also different from stock PayPal module. Stock PayPal module doesn't need to wait for feedback from PayPal. For IPN to work, the order must be create before sending customers to PayPal.
I think he has already established this. Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

I have wondered about this from when I first installed this IPN contribution. I don't think it is absolutely neccessary for that to happen and it can be configured to show an order after checkout confirmation has been pressed - it can keep in line with the current format which simply updates an abandoned cart (via order number) and updates it if the customer returns back to the store. Maybe because it isn't absolutely vital so no-one has tried changing it but it can be done.

Correct - coming from a programming backround (albeit not mysql/php) the correct logic is to only create the record once the checkout confirmation button has been clicked.....its not *vital* that it happens this way, but in the strictest sense it is more logical and correct.

I think he has already established this.

Yes indeed. My post had nothing to do with the fact that this contribution is different from the stock Osc. My post was centred around the fact that paying with PayPal or paying with a credit card (via the PayPal site) produces two slightly different order status records. In addition, if paying with a credit card, the order status shown on the detailed customer invoice is different to the order status show on the list of recent orders.

My post was centred around the fact that paying with PayPal or paying with a credit card (via the PayPal site) produces two slightly different order status records. In addition, if paying with a credit card, the order status shown on the detailed customer invoice is different to the order status show on the list of recent orders.

From the previous posts by other people I had gathered the order status situation but didn't know anything about a problem with the invoice payment details. I will try to make some time tomorrow or later tonight and make a test transaction using my credit/debit card and see what happens.

CHOOCH

I think he has already established this.

So, what do you think the reason why this module was written in this way? If it doesn't need to handle all the database and email jobs, why bother put those all in? If it is not necessary as you said, it just need to modify the form_action_url in the stock paypal module and add the ipn.php in the ext folder to get feedback from paypal, what else?

oh, yes, some extra info needed for paypal in the function process_button(), anymore?

So, what do you think the reason why this module was written in this way? If it doesn't need to handle all the database and email jobs, why bother put those all in? If it is not necessary as you said, it just need to modify the form_action_url in the stock paypal module and add the ipn.php in the ext folder to get feedback from paypal, what else?

If I get what you are saying....then I think you are misunderstanding us :o If that makes any sense.

I am not saying that all the database and email jobs shouldnt be handled; I am querying WHEN it is handled. At the moment, it appears that the order is created when the checkout_confirmation page is loaded. I am suggesting that the order should only be created when then Confirm Order button on checkout_confirmation is clicked.

Its not *that* different, but does seem more logical.

Correct - coming from a programming backround (albeit not mysql/php) the correct logic is to only create the record once the checkout confirmation button has been clicked.....its not *vital* that it happens this way, but in the strictest sense it is more logical and correct.

The logic to make IPN work is to follow the rules established by Paypal!! If you want your order create only after confirmation, you need to modify the checkout_process.php and checkout_success.php, which was avoided in the first place!!

So, what do you think the reason why this module was written in this way?
I have no idea, i didn't write it and i don't know any of the authors... maybe you can ask one of them and post the answer here for all of us to see.

If it doesn't need to handle all the database and email jobs, why bother put those all in?
I don't have any recollection of mentioning anything to do with databse and email jobs related to your posts. As for the second part of your question, I didn't write this contribution so I can't comment as to why the author bothered (or not) to put them in.

If it is not necessary as you said, it just need to modify the form_action_url in the stock paypal module and add the ipn.php in the ext folder to get feedback from paypal, what else?
I can't understand the question.

Anyway, here is what I wrote in an earlier post:

"I have wondered about this from when I first installed this IPN contribution. I don't think it is absolutely neccessary for that to happen and it can be configured to show an order after checkout confirmation has been pressed - it can keep in line with the current format which simply updates an abandoned cart (via order number) and updates it if the customer returns back to the store. Maybe because it isn't absolutely vital so no-one has tried changing it but it can be done."

my view is still the same on the above.

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH