• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Hello,

How does this module differ from the one that comes with the original OSC install?

Thanks

Eric B

I am not too sure why I have not heard back from anyone. If it is because it seems like I am being lazy and should have searched the forums and documentation first, it is not.

I spent a few days going through the forums, and reading over the install readme file for this contribution.

I am looking at this contribution and the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN

I am trying to figure out the difference between these two contributions and the original PayPal set up that comes with the OSC install.

Can someone tell me the differences or where online I can read more about them?

Thanks so much everyone.

Eric B

AJ2000

have you tried working with the old one at all? if you use paypal you would see people can change prices, etc . . i suggest you search the forum about paypal, then you can find out why there have been so many releases regarding paypal.

have you tried working with the old one at all?  if you use paypal you would see people can change prices, etc . .  i suggest you search the forum about paypal, then you can find out why there have been so many releases regarding paypal.

Thanks Mibble,

I actually have not worked with PayPal and OSC at all yet. I was just going to use the PayPal mod that comes with OSC 2.2

Then I did some research and found several modules. I wondered why so many and what is the difference. You are the first person to give me some insight.

I definitely will read up more.

My question is this mod seems to do just about the same thing as the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN but this newer mod that this thread focuses on seems much easier to install.

Am I correct in saying that they basically do the same thing but this one is easier to install? Do they both have secruity issues? And if so how serious are they?

Thanks so much

Eric B

PS I want to say thanks to everyone for their hard work in developing and testing these mods and for everyone sharing their experiences and giving advice. I am glad to have joined such a great group of people and look forward to the day I can offer help too.... I am still stumbling through it all though... OSC PHP etc. Well thanks again and happy new year.

AJ2000

One more comment... I know prices can be changed at paypal but as a store owner wouldn't you check on this before actually sending out orders?

I am sure most customers wouldn't do this.

Although this might be a problem if you sell digital goods or memberships where instant access is given.

Thanks

Eric B

AJ2000

easier to install, created by the team and will most likely be the default install (dont hold me to it, what do i know) for ms3

Ok so it is easier to install... that is great in my humble opinion, especially when I saw how much more there is involved with installing the other mod.

But compared to the default install or the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN doesn't this mod basically do the same as the others?

Just curious and trying to make sure I make the right choice of mod to use. If they all do the same then this one looks like the winner to me.

I would love your feedback on this.

Eric B

AJ2000

Please forgive all my posts... I have one more question regarding this contribution.

I downloaded the mod dated 30 Nov 2004

Then I downloaded the Error Correction dated 20 Dec 2004, for the file paypal_ipn.php

First, I am sure the file in question is located in

\catalog\includes\modules\payment

Can someone confirm this?

Second, what is the difference between these files? I am confused because the newer corrected file has a lot of extra line spaces / double spaced lines. Does this make a difference?

Also, what is so different about these two files? What is this accidental line feed and where is it? Is it just the extra line feed located at the very end of the file?

Thanks for your help in clearing this matter up.

Eric B

AJ2000

Hello peeps

I have installed the new paypal ipn from oscommerce and seem to be having problems.

if i place an order everything goes through fine, the order is there in admin. For some reason the order does not change its status.

The first time i installed this the order changed status but disappeard from the orders.

Can someone please help....

Howdy all,

I have been playing for 4 days now with both paypal contribs and I really enjoy this one! I have 2 questions and then I can go live with my store.

1. On the encryped processing

where do I get/find/make my: Your Private Key, Your Public Certificate?

I can download the paypal cert but: where do I put it? and it comes at pem.txt do I remove the .txt from it?

Any insight or directions on what to do would be great! thank you!

2. I asked sometime ago about getting this contrib to look simialr to the 2.9 and Mattis wonderfully created ccshow contrib (love it!) My only other request would be to add in a splash page when transphering your customer from cart to paypal. I have found in testing that with 2.9 I get that kind of feedback it is makes me feel like something is happening vs. v1 where the screen just pauses for a bit and then shows paypal. Anyway to add in the splash?

Thank you all for the incredible work you have done!

RW

Please forgive all my posts... I have one more question regarding this contribution.

I downloaded the mod dated 30 Nov 2004

This one indeed seems messed up a bit, I would not use it! But the older version(s) work just fine, using it on a live shop, no errors at all.

I am having the same problem with the status update. I am running the module on our developmental store and the sandbox. My status remains as preparing. I read through the previous responses but couldn't find a clear answer. If anyone has run into this problem and managed to solve it please give me a hint :blink: .

I am new to all of this and need some help - I installed the IPN module and while all seems to work ok the store is not getting an email for the order. Is this normal? and if it's not how can I get the store to receive an email for the order? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea what to do!

Hey guys,

I have a huge problem ... Does the PayPal IPN 1.0 module update the counts of the products when it enters the order prematurely in the DB or after it has received a payment notification and the status of the order is changed from Preparing Payment to Payment Verified?

I just made 2 incomplete orders and the counts of the products did not change ... is this how the system should behave or is there something wicked with my setup?

I would appreciate any answers,

Thanks!

Can anybody help on the status not being updated. Nobody seems to be helping with this problem.

I have noticed that it is not just me with this problem.

Let me explain again.

I have intstalled the IPN module and tested it with the sandbox. The order goes through the payment is made and the order is set to Preparing [Paypal IPN]. I wait and wait and wait and nothing happens.

What gives

I am new to all of this and need some help - I installed the IPN module and while all seems to work ok the store is not getting an email for the order.  Is this normal?  and if it's not how can I get the store to receive an email for the order?  Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea what to do!

Exactly the same problem here, neither the store nor the customer receives an email, did you find any resolution to this?

I've looked through the file that the IPN notification hits (ipn.php) and don't see anywhere where it calls a function to send any emails apart from the debug email?

Exactly the same problem here, neither the store nor the customer receives an email, did you find any resolution to this?

I've looked through the file that the IPN notification hits (ipn.php) and don't see anywhere where it calls a function to send any emails apart from the debug email?

I should add that this happens only if I don't continue back to the store, in other words I complete the payment but then close the browser. The order status is updated, so the IPN is definitely being received and processed. However inventory is not updated, emails aren't sent etc. IOW anything that's done by the functions in paypal_ipn.php doesn't happen. This is no great surprise as I don't see an include for that file or a call to any of its functions. Does this module not, in fact, currently do anything if the customer doesn't return to the site?

I should add that this happens only if I don't continue back to the store, in other words I complete the payment but then close the browser. The order status is updated, so the IPN is definitely being received and processed. However inventory is not updated, emails aren't sent etc. IOW anything that's done by the functions in paypal_ipn.php doesn't happen. This is no great surprise as I don't see an include for that file or a call to any of its functions. Does this module not, in fact, currently do anything if the customer doesn't return to the site?

Seems to me that the main reason for installing this mod was to fix the problem of customers not clicking through to the final confirmation page. If all of these problems are still unresolved, then there isn't much point in using anything beyond the original PayPal IPN. Just my 2 cents.

I have had occasional problems with customers not finishing their orders regardless of which payment method they use. A few people have emailed me asking where their order is. And then I have to tell them they never actually completed an order.

Perhaps a better solution would be to rework the checkout process so it is more clear to customers that they need to complete all 4 steps?

I may add a quick and dirty workaround that would email me when a 'potential' customer/order had reached step 3? Then if I don't get an order, I know there may be a problem?

Seems to me that the main reason for installing this mod was to fix the problem of customers not clicking through to the final confirmation page. If all of these problems are still unresolved, then there isn't much point in using anything beyond the original PayPal IPN. Just my 2 cents.

I have had occasional problems with customers not finishing their orders regardless of which payment method they use. A few people have emailed me asking where their order is. And then I have to tell them they never actually completed an order.

Perhaps a better solution would be to rework the checkout process so it is more clear to customers that they need to complete all 4 steps?

I may add a quick and dirty workaround that would email me when a 'potential' customer/order had reached step 3? Then if I don't get an order, I know there may be a problem?

I don't know guys - i think that means that counts are updated on an IPN receival - when it changes the status from Preparing to Received ... this contrib was written to get rid of the missing orders problem- that is, if the customer does not got back to your page after completing payment (then you'd get an email with payment but no recorded order). This contrib does its job fine - records the order right before the confirmation stage, way before the customer goes to PayPal, so there is no way you don't know what was ordered (that ofcourse creates some ghost orders that you are not sure if the customer didn't just back out). As far as i know the customer MUST go back to your page after paying... and it is quite clear - the last step of paypal i think has a button "Continue" and it sends the customer back to your site. That was the problem with the old PayPal module - it created orders, updated counts, etc. AFTER customer came back...

Howdy all,

I have been playing for 4 days now with both paypal contribs and I really enjoy this one! I have 2 questions and then I can go live with my store.

1. On the encryped processing

where do I get/find/make my: Your Private Key, Your Public Certificate?

I can download the paypal cert but: where do I put it? and it comes at pem.txt do I remove the .txt from it?

Any insight or directions on what to do would be great! thank you!

2. I asked sometime ago about getting this contrib to look simialr to the 2.9 and Mattis wonderfully created ccshow contrib (love it!) My only other request would be to add in a splash page when transphering your customer from cart to paypal. I have found in testing that with 2.9 I get that kind of feedback it is makes me feel like something is happening vs. v1 where the screen just pauses for a bit and then shows paypal.  Anyway to add in the splash?

Thank you all for the incredible work you have done!

RW

I asked sometime ago about getting this contrib to look simialr to the 2.9 and Mattis wonderfully created ccshow contrib (love it!)

I did a search for ccshow contribution and nothing turned up. What are you referring to?

I added the PayPal IPN contrib today along with the updated replacement paypal_ipn.php file.

When I try to set it up by clicking on the install button in the payment module admin I get the following error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/9/d93544767/htdocs/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php:1195) in /homepages/9/d93544767/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 18

Line 18 of general.php is:

header('Location: ' . $url);

and I have made no changes to paypal_ipn.php

The install buttons work fine for all of the other payment modules.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

I added the PayPal IPN
newer (or "updated") isn't always better, try the first version ("30 Nov 2004 - osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2"), it should work just fine.

My First day learning testing out paypal ipn contribution... Going good so far...

as for people asking about the certificates and such... I found that information in the Sandbox User Guide...

Very good manual to read... gave me alot of insight into this whole process as I was jumping in and testing the water...

Sandbox User Guide:

https://developer.paypal.com/en_US/pdf/PayP..._User_Guide.pdf

Edited by TCwho

Heya TCwho,

first. on the contribution it is called cc_show you can get it here

second.

on the certificates..I read thru that user guide and yes it did talk about the paypal certs, and places to go to get certs, but not specifics on how to get them. I have since found out that I can get them thru my host using Cpanel (there is an option to manage public keys). So now all I need if for my host to fix a small problem with cpanel and away I go!

RW

I do have one question though for anyone. Where do you upload the certs/keys too? Root folder or just anywhere? Inside the website or outside?

Thanks!

I did a search for ccshow contribution and nothing turned up.  What are you referring to?