• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Oh just a few more questions.......

What should I use or input for these settings?

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set the status of orders made with this payment module to this value

Which one? For now I have defualt is that ok?

Page Style

The page style to use for the transaction procedure (defined at your PayPal Profile page)

Should I touch anything here?

Ok sorry for these NOB type questions but I just have to know for piece of mind. :thumbsup:

Nigelman

If it is a matter of great importance then maybe you should try the other paypal ipn contribution just incase that has the stock reduction facility: Other Paypal IPN

It is an imporvement Im told, I did install this but then removed it after I had problems with the IPN test planel not appearing!

I'd rather "stick to my guns" if you know what I mean.

Chooch do you do websites? If so e-mail me here [email protected] . I'm around the London area too.

Thanks for your help people

Shahid

I think it probably can use same variables of "GET" .

As it stands, I am very happy with the two status orders, the latter I have added myself as it helps give clarity:

Paypal [Preparing IPN]

Paypal [Processing IPN]

The preparing IPN is fine as it is triggered the moment paypal ipn is selected as a methoid of payment and the checkout_confirmation page appears - and thanks to Windfjf we all know how much hassle he saved us with the phantom/multiple orders...

.... As for the processing IPN status, it shows up if the IPN has been triggered via a payment that has been confirmed BUT the annoying thing is it will only show up from preparing IPN to any other status you set only after checkout_process is achieved.

My paypal payment pages shows a 'returning to store' message and automatically returns customers back to the store - but if customers do get frisky and do not return, the IPN doesn't update the status.

I can't see how this can be resolved as it is paypal that isn't helping out because once payment is authorised in paypal the store/admin/orders still shows 'preparing IPN' even though the paypal payment is authorised and the 'return to store' URL opens up at paypal....

... my ideal scenario would be that paypal would take this change of URL as the point where it would send the 'ext' folder an update in case customers do not return to the store and the order status doesn't get updated but I doubt paypal are going to make additions for 'lil ol' oscommerce!

The point being, everyone should cross-check all orders and statuses with actual emails from paypal stating that payment was received otherwise soon you'll find you were sending out items for free.

Edited by chooch

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Oh just a few more questions.......

What should I use or input for these settings?

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set the status of orders made with this payment module to this value

Which one? For now I have defualt is that ok?

Page Style

The page style to use for the transaction procedure (defined at your PayPal Profile page)

Should I touch anything here?

Ok sorry for these NOB type questions but I just have to know for piece of mind. :thumbsup:

Nigelman

dude, it's up to you as there are no rules... the suggestion from the contributors who made this wonderful contribution is that store owners should set the default for IPN as 'preparing IPN' so that you know immediately that someone has attempted to buy items from your store but they haven't completed the checkout (maybe because they haven't returned to your store and you can identify it as an IPN transaction)

it's up to you how you make your default settings - i don't know if paypal allow custom payment pages anymore, you need to check that for yourself.

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Hmm so theres no code that can be used, to automatically deduct stock when an order has been paid for so status is changed to "processing" (in my case), and THAT is what triggers stock deduction? Rather than returning to the site?

Sort of like, If order status is processing then stock deduct etc

I'm no expert in PHP, infact I don't really "know" it. Only html :rolleyes:

Hmm so theres no code that can be used, to automatically deduct stock when an order has been paid for so status is changed to "processing" (in my case), and THAT is what triggers stock deduction? Rather than returning to the site?

It can certainly be done but that code will need to be wriiten and placed in the ipn.php file.

CHOOCH

I have noticed a wierd problem...

Some of my orders do not automatically change status after returning from paypal but some do - even if the item is the same. Thanks to Terra for giving me some insight on the ipn side of things

Here is my orders page info:

20/11/2006 15:58:36 PayPal [Preparing IPN]

20/11/2006 16:00:01 PayPal [Preparing IPN]

20/11/2006 16:00:07 PayPal [Processing IPN] PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; ?0.01)]

The first four test transactions showed up perfect by changing automatically from paypal preparing to paypal processing as soon as the payment went through but since then none of the orders status auto-updates.

I do get the store to customer order emails sent but cannot explain yet why the sporadic status updates happen as it can't be a server firewall issue. Does anyone else have these problems?

It may be that the IPN is not communicating at that particular time for reasons unknown, a bit like when I was on paypal and paypal sandbox trying to make purchases from my test site for around 2 hors and at the final paypal page all I got was 'error' - please try again later. That was a paypal fault so maybe that is what is causing the problem.. so does anyone else have this issue?

Furthermore, I have removed the 'send email' command from the checkout_process and the paypal_ipn.php files and added them to the ext/ipn file in order to stop emails being sent out unless IPN payment is confirmed (or in the event the 'checkout hack' is applied). Unfortunately this still results in emails being sent even though the 'send email' commands have been removed in ALL 3 files??

Maybe I have been looking at my screen too long and need a break - I'll try again in the morning <_<

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

Furthermore, I have removed the 'send email' command from the checkout_process and the paypal_ipn.php files and added them to the ext/ipn file in order to stop emails being sent out unless IPN payment is confirmed (or in the event the 'checkout hack' is applied). Unfortunately this still results in emails being sent even though the 'send email' commands have been removed in ALL 3 files??

Cooch - Obviously, servers are mysterious gods and whilst offerings of blood & sweat may help, it's hard to pin down a problem without seeing your files/server. BUT - if you remove the "send mail" command from the paypal_ipn.php then NO email will be sent. The PayPal IPN bypasses checkout_process.php, so don't worry about that (that would be used for non-PayPal IPN payments). As long as you remove the following code:

tep_mail($order->customer['firstname'] . ' ' . $order->customer['lastname'], $order->customer['email_address'], EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT, $email_order, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);

// send emails to other people
  if (SEND_EXTRA_ORDER_EMAILS_TO != '') {
	tep_mail('', SEND_EXTRA_ORDER_EMAILS_TO, EMAIL_TEXT_SUBJECT, $email_order, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);
  }

no emails will be sent.

As for the update problem - a few posts on this thread which may help:

page 64 - post 1278 by weia:

Finally got it to work. The problem is have to enable register_globals in every directory that I use by copying over a php.ini file. The ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn dir did not have register globals enabled. Thanks for your time. I had register globals turned on everywhere else so it didn't occur to me that the ipn file didn't have it turned on.

and page 54 - post 1080 by myself - it's clunky, it's not elegant, but it may help to narrow the issue down.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=890286

all the best, Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

all the best, Terra

Thanks for your reply Terra...

I did read and then re-read probably every post of yours going back to around July-ish and did clock on to what were saying about registered globals.. mine are 'on' on the server. I did get automatically updated status for the first few transactions and then it refused to do it... as it worked initially and then didn't anymore this cannot be registered globals issue - I was curious to see if anyone else had this issue. I will try some test transactions later tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the email code, I may have removed only part of it during my tests, so I will try again later on tonight and update.

Thanks

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

I'm using the Paypal IPN module and somebody has bought an item BUT the payment never made it to paypal?

I have the details of the purchase in my admin area but paypal say they have no details of the transaction.

I would appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction of how i can test thi smodule correctly and what may have happened.

thanks for your time

j

I'm a newbie here..... I just found this thread after looking at the info for the module and I've decided to use it.....My only question is do I need OpenSSL on my site for it to work?

And If I do need OpenSSL can someone give me a little assistance (through Yahoo IM) with installation?

Thanks

P.S. I'm a quick study........not completely new to website design but am new to OS Commerce and Open SSL.

My only question is do I need OpenSSL on my site for it to work?

no, you can use it without the need for openssl

Edited by chooch

CHOOCH

no, you can use it without the need for openssl

been using paypal mods for some time now. i think somewhere down the line some of my tweakings have broken a few parts of my website :(

when an order gets processed i still see the headings of the definitions that live in the language files. for example Subject: IPN_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_NOTIFICATION_SUBJECT (this obviously appears on the email)

and in the order invoice

25 11 2006 00:02:50 Pending IPN_EMAIL_CONFIRMATION_NOTIFICATION_COMMENT

any suggestions. the language files seem to be all there. anybody seen this before?

odd

i'm off to bed. night all :)

wilfy

I think you need to re-check your language files are in the right place!

CHOOCH

I think you need to re-check your language files are in the right place!

hey chooch et al

to help anybody else that has the same problem, basically it was the old paypal ipn module that was causing the grief http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...arch,paypal+ipn. this is the old paypal ipn mod that required core hacking but thanks to harold and the team (i love you guys :) ) the new version doesn't need the core files hacked. I have uninstalled the old mod by just going backwards through the install instructions and it seems to have done the trick woo hoo :)

thanks for the reply. it has been driving me loopy for ages

wilfy

www.jaldijaldi.co.uk

Edited by wilfy

hey chooch et al]

i am surprised you found this support thread first before finding latest IPN contribution attached to this thread - usually it's the other way around.

good luck though :D

CHOOCH

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to the problem of no confirmation emails getting sent (to customer or store owner) when a customer does not return to the store after PayPal completes (i.e. checkout_process.php is not run)

Since my store only uses PayPal_IPN, I suspect I could remove the email sending from checkout_process.php and move it to paypal_ipn.php. The question is: what to move and/or adapt to produce the body of the email, complete with order breakdown and address as provided by checkout_process.php?

I think a user here (chooch?) has managed something like this (at least it's alluded to) but I'd like details! I'm a fair PHP coder, but I don't want to wreck the system that's working now, and the file's logic is beyond me at the moment

---john---

I think a user here (chooch?) has managed something like this (at least it's alluded to) but I'd like details!

No, I was attempting to get it to work but some other urgent matters have taken my attention away before I could finish my tests. Maybe I'll give it another go in the new year - in the meantime if you have any suggestions please update the thread.

CHOOCH

No, I was attempting to get it to work but some other urgent matters have taken my attention away before I could finish my tests. Maybe I'll give it another go in the new year - in the meantime if you have any suggestions please update the thread.

Thanks for the reply.

I have managed a partial solution. Since I only require IPN, I commented out the email routines in checkout_process.php and paypal_ipn.php. I then used a combination of techniques seen in admin/invoice.php and checkout_process.php to create an emailing routine and placed it in ipn.php.

I'm still trying to get it to spit out the comments. When that's done I'll post a full description.

---john---

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to the problem of no confirmation emails getting sent (to customer or store owner) when a customer does not return to the store after PayPal completes (i.e. checkout_process.php is not run)

Since my store only uses PayPal_IPN, I suspect I could remove the email sending from checkout_process.php and move it to paypal_ipn.php. The question is: what to move and/or adapt to produce the body of the email, complete with order breakdown and address as provided by checkout_process.php?

I think a user here (chooch?) has managed something like this (at least it's alluded to) but I'd like details! I'm a fair PHP coder, but I don't want to wreck the system that's working now, and the file's logic is beyond me at the moment

---john---

I only have part or your problem.

My customer gets an e-mail, I do not.

Norman in 't Veldt

osCommerce The Netherlands

I'm trying to install and use the paypal ipn v1.4 my question is it the installation instructions it says "Copy the files in the directory structure set in the contribution download file to your osCommerce installation directory." Does this mean that I have to reinstall the oscommerce after putting this in the installs folder on my server? Any help here is appreciated.

Jamie

Anyone have either of these problems?

1. A few of my orders are being processed (they can be seen in Paypal account). However, The order is listed in the admin orders but I am not getting the OSC order process email.

2. I have a couple of orders that are the same as above wit the added problem of no shipping/billing address being shown in paypal.

I'm trying to install and use the paypal ipn v1.4 my question is it the installation instructions it says "Copy the files in the directory structure set in the contribution download file to your osCommerce installation directory." Does this mean that I have to reinstall the oscommerce after putting this in the installs folder on my server? Any help here is appreciated.

In the contribution you will see a folder named catalog - this represents your installation folder, whatever it's called on your system. You need to follow along the folder paths inside the catalog folder to see what files to put in which folder on your server. Think of it like a trail to follow.

You'll need to create an new folder named ext as it's not in the normal OSC install.

The others are /includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php and

/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php

Then follow the installation guide for more instructions.

Good Luck

---john---