• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Am I incorrect in believing that Paypal IPN is meant so that buyers don't need paypal? They can just click check out, fill in credit card info, and be on their way? Because when I check out I just get a login to paypal screen instead of some sort of credit card info screen.

I'm also having issues with OpenSSL. I created keys and uploaded them, but do I need more than that? It seems like I need to install OpenSSL on the server somewhere. Or that my host needs to let me know where it is or something? I'm confused on the OpenSSL portion of things, any help?! Thanks!

I wrote a guide about the payment data encryption a while ago, check it out, it might help you.

SSL setup in Paypal IPN module

Alex, thanks. I've read it about a million times, trying to let it sink in. :) Lots of good info in there.

I've got a request open with my host (iPowerweb) to see if they can help me or not. I don't want to buy the software you recommended just yet; if for some reason it won't work for me with my particular host, I don't want to buy it until I know.

I will let you all know what happens when and if I can finally get some answers from my host. It may be useful to others.

Am I incorrect in believing that Paypal IPN is meant so that buyers don't need paypal? They can just click check out, fill in credit card info, and be on their way? Because when I check out I just get a login to paypal screen instead of some sort of credit card info screen.

I'm also having issues with OpenSSL. I created keys and uploaded them, but do I need more than that? It seems like I need to install OpenSSL on the server somewhere. Or that my host needs to let me know where it is or something? I'm confused on the OpenSSL portion of things, any help?! Thanks!

I have the same issue with the login screen. I don't want my customers required to setup a PayPal account. I just want them to pay by credit card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

this is a great package!thanks for your work.

I have installed V1.3

but I have a problem with Preparing Order Status

I have set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status to default(pending),but after an IPN notification from PayPal has been received, and has returned the result of VERIFIED,the order status is still perparing,both customer and admin get the comfimation form paypay and the store,stock also decreased,just the status is not right,still perparing.

I just follow the instuction to install it ,didn't change anything.

may be I should turn the IPN on from paypal?

If you can help me out would be much appreciate!

any another question is how can we use page style to change the way page look?

what kind of format should it be?is there any instuctions on how to define a page style??

any another question is how can we use page style to change the way page look?

what kind of format should it be?is there any instuctions on how to define a page style??

The other stuff I'm not sure about, but for this, you can log into your PayPal account, click on Profile and somewhere in there you can find the area to define page styles. PayPal walks you right through it.

I have the same issue with the login screen. I don't want my customers required to setup a PayPal account. I just want them to pay by credit card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

You have to go into your paypal account, select Profile, choose Web Payment Prefs and turn on Account Optional. When you do that, your customers will not have to have a paypal account. Understand that PayPal makes it as confusing as possible to figure this out. At every opportunity, they ask for a password first, and have a little link after that your customer can use to by-pass the pitches for sign up. First, there is the page that asks you to sign in - you have to go down to the third box, which simply says, "CHeck Out" and does not inform you in any way that you can just check this without checking in or without having an account. Then later, you have a page that asks for a password, but has the link "click here" after the phrase "no Paypal account?"

And the nastiest truth of all is that, when you have this function turned on, the "auto return" that automatically sends your customers back to your store is disabled by this account optional function. It will not work, and the only way your order detail will get back to your shop is if the customer sees and clicks on the small "return to merchant" link on the PayPal thanks for the payment page. I am asking people to write paypal about this and try to get them to change the policy.

And the nastiest truth of all is that, when you have this function turned on, the "auto return" that automatically sends your customers back to your store is disabled by this account optional function. It will not work, and the only way your order detail will get back to your shop is if the customer sees and clicks on the small "return to merchant" link on the PayPal thanks for the payment page. I am asking people to write paypal about this and try to get them to change the policy.

The whole point of the PayPal IPN module is that you absolutely will receive the order detail, regardless of whether the customer clicks "return to merchant". There are two reasons for this. First, the module stores the detail in the orders table before sending the customer to PayPal (with a Preparing (PayPal IPN) status). Second, when PayPal sends the IPN back to the store, the status is updated to show that payment has been received (the default status is "Pending", but you can change it in the module's preferences).

If you use this module and it doesn't behave this way, there is something wrong with your installation.

--Glen

And in case I want to take the risk...

Then I'd expect that you'd have to figure it out for yourself. You may find yourself running afoul of local laws, as well. I know that certain jurisdictions in the US ban the practice of charging a fee for using a credit card.

--Glen

The whole point of the PayPal IPN module is that you absolutely will receive the order detail, regardless of whether the customer clicks "return to merchant". There are two reasons for this. First, the module stores the detail in the orders table before sending the customer to PayPal (with a Preparing (PayPal IPN) status). Second, when PayPal sends the IPN back to the store, the status is updated to show that payment has been received (the default status is "Pending", but you can change it in the module's preferences).

If you use this module and it doesn't behave this way, there is something wrong with your installation.

--Glen

Glen, I'm probably posting in the wrong area. I haven't installed IPN - I was responding to the non-IPN part of his post. I've been reading "IPN" all day, and I looked at it on PayPal, but I don't really know what it is, and as a non-programmer type (i'm so ashamed), all the posts that I've seen mention IPN also mention terrible problems, complex installations and all kinds of keys and things. The whole thing scares me to death. Is it that useful? And is it terrible to install? And does it create awfu problems?

Glen, I'm probably posting in the wrong area. I haven't installed IPN - I was responding to the non-IPN part of his post. I've been reading "IPN" all day, and I looked at it on PayPal, but I don't really know what it is, and as a non-programmer type (i'm so ashamed), all the posts that I've seen mention IPN also mention terrible problems, complex installations and all kinds of keys and things. The whole thing scares me to death. Is it that useful? And is it terrible to install? And does it create awfu problems?

I see. This *is* the support topic for the PayPal IPN payment module, so I made the assumption that you were discussing it.

IPN is "Instant Payment Notification". This is a mechanism by which PayPal accesses a web page on your site when the customer confirms payment. The technical method used is an HTTP POST transaction that includes the details of the payment. This means that you don't need to rely on anything the customer does, other than clicking the "Pay" button at PayPal, to get the order updated correctly.

I didn't find it terribly difficult to install, but I have a programming and security background, so I understand the terms "public certificate", "private key", and "public key". These are the text files that contain the data for signing, encrypting, and decrypting messages to/from PayPal, to ensure that the transactions cannot be spoofed. The encryption used for "Encrypted Website Payments" (PayPal's term) is the same as encrypting web transactions through SSL.

Someone posted a link to a step-by-step instruction for enabling the Encrypted Website Payments feature within the last page or two of posts.

There are some oddities with this particular payment module that make integration with certain other modules somewhat less than straightforward. Terra has provided instructions for integrating the most popular of these.

--Glen

Hello, i've just installed IPN+OSC (both latest stable builds) and noticed a significant bug - updates to shipping info via the checkout_confirmation.php page are not saved into the final orders. Searching the site, I've located an old bug report on this matter, but it was never resolved:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/bugs,2498/search,IPN

Please read this bug post to learn about the subject -- which i think is a huge problem when using IPN and can mess up the daily live of store-owners when shipping and billing addresses are different.

As a solution, maybe setup a table-update routine on the paypal_ipn.php file, or alternately invoke the $payment_modules->confirmation() upon exiting the page rather then entering.

cheers

Amit

A very quick thank you to Terra who has worked very hard on this IPN stuff.

I have just installed Terra's Paypal IPN and tested it through various scenarios involving oscAffiliate.... got to say I am confident this will work properly even though I haven't done thorough tests on QTPro and CCGV(trad) yet!

Thanks Terra

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

I believe this is against PayPal's term & conditions. I'd check them carefully - basically, PayPal stipulates that you are not allowed to charge customers a fee for using PayPal as their payment method. Terra
And I was wrong! I've just had the joy of reading through all of PayPal's T&Cs and realised, that the "no surcharge restriction" is limited within the UK to eBay.

For UK PayPal users the policy is:

No Surcharges.

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment on eBay.co.uk. This is in accordance with eBay UK's surcharging policy which states: "Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay may not impose a surcharge.

PayPal is an electronic money payment system. When you accept a PayPal payment, you are accepting e-money. You are not accepting a debit or credit card payment, even where the sender may have funded his or her PayPal account with a debit or credit card in order to fund the transaction with you. Nothing in this policy is intended to affect the legal right of a merchant in the UK to impose a surcharge for a debit or credit card transaction under the Credit Cards (Price Discrimination) Order 1990.

Please note that this may differ for users in other countries and I'd advise to check your PayPal account for details (just look for "user agreement").

Terra

PS: Chooch - very kind! Having said that I'm painfully aware that a few updates are waiting to be made - I just haven't got a clue when I'm supposed to find the time! However, hopefully this side of Xmas.

Edited by Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

Hi,

I have installed 'osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.3 For 2.2MS2' and would like to know how to get the auto return to work, I have it setup at Paypal auto return as http://www.MYDOMAIN.co.uk/checkout_process.php but when I did a live test it did not return to the shop.

Is there a way to get this to auto return, or has PayPal got a link on their site that says return ? If so what does the link say ?

If so is there anyway to make that link bigger and stand out more ?

Regards,

Garry

Shipping fees not carried over to paypal.

I posted this here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=228393&hl=

but got no response.

I have installed the PayPal IPN... but the shipping fees (I use a flat fee)

do not get carried over to PayPal.

Any ideas on how to fix this? PLEASE :)

Thanks, ~Roland

Im also having a little trouble with this mod, i only use paypal as a payment option so this is the only payment module i use. When my customers are putting in the payment information the only thing it shows in the payment method is "This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order." and no payment option is shown. Any help would be much appreciated, you can look at the cart from my site Spudshot.com

i successfully installed the mod, it shows it as functional in the admin control panel, i just cant get it to pop up :(

Also, im willing to offer some sort of "thank you gift" for any help received from a member of this forum

Edited by spudshot

Im also having a little trouble with this mod, i only use paypal as a payment option so this is the only payment module i use. When my customers are putting in the payment information the only thing it shows in the payment method is "This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order." and no payment option is shown. Any help would be much appreciated, you can look at the cart from my site Spudshot.com

i successfully installed the mod, it shows it as functional in the admin control panel, i just cant get it to pop up :(

Also, im willing to offer some sort of "thank you gift" for any help received from a member of this forum

What did you set for Payment Zone in the PayPal IPN admin page? If it doesn't match the customer's zone, it won't come up. Set it to "None" to make it appear for all customers.

--Glen

hello- the orders go through to paypal and it brings me back to the website. BUT the orders ain't in the admin orders section . paypal IPN was installed. ?? HELP????

If you installed this contribution, and it is actually in use, the order will appear in the orders table with a status of "Preparing [PayPal IPN]" (default value, but can be changed in Localization -> Orders Status) immediately after you click "Confirm Order" on checkout_confirmation.php. If this doesn't happen, you are using a different PayPal contribution and will need to resolve this before continuing to troubleshoot the problem.

Immediately after the customer clicks "Pay" at PayPal, PayPal will attempt to access the page www.yoursite.com/catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php and post the transaction information to the store. If the page is reached, ipn.php will update the status to the value you set in the module's settings for "Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status". If the value of that setting is "default", it will use the default setting in Localization -> Orders Status.

--Glen

Hi all, I haven't fully implemented the mod yet, still in research and testing - in fact, it's configured for Testing not live.

But now whenever I get paid from a customer via Paypal (with a transaction NOT related to the shopping cart), I'm getting an email from PayPal with the subject "PayPal IPN Invalid Process".

The email details the transaction - like this:

$_POST:

txn_type=send_money

payment_date=09:07:27 Sep 22, 2006 PDT

last_name=edited

residence_country=US

pending_reason=echeck

payment_gross=45.00

mc_currency=USD

payment_type=echeck

Etc., etc., there's more but I won't post it all.

There's no error message or anything. The only thing indicating anything is wrong is the subject of the email: "PayPal IPN Invalid Process".

These customers received bills via my PayPal Money Requests - it's a manual, non-automated thing you do in PayPal.

Why'm I getting these notices?

Thanks,

Morcar

PS - I received some encouraging news from my host yesterday about shared SSL and secure transactions. I'll post/share it later when I have another free moment!

Hi all, I haven't fully implemented the mod yet, still in research and testing - in fact, it's configured for Testing not live.

But now whenever I get paid from a customer via Paypal (with a transaction NOT related to the shopping cart), I'm getting an email from PayPal with the subject "PayPal IPN Invalid Process".

The email details the transaction - like this:

$_POST:

txn_type=send_money

payment_date=09:07:27 Sep 22, 2006 PDT

last_name=edited

residence_country=US

pending_reason=echeck

payment_gross=45.00

mc_currency=USD

payment_type=echeck

Etc., etc., there's more but I won't post it all.

There's no error message or anything. The only thing indicating anything is wrong is the subject of the email: "PayPal IPN Invalid Process".

These customers received bills via my PayPal Money Requests - it's a manual, non-automated thing you do in PayPal.

Why'm I getting these notices?

Thanks,

Morcar

PS - I received some encouraging news from my host yesterday about shared SSL and secure transactions. I'll post/share it later when I have another free moment!

That message comes from the ipn.php page that this contribution adds to your store. If the IPN page is being hit for other transactions, you probably have set your Instant Payment Notification Preference to access it. You don't need to do that with the current version of this contribution; it sends the link when it sends the customer to PayPal during checkout. To stop the messages, go into your PayPal profile (on the live server) and set your Instant Payment Notification preference to "off". The contribution will still work.

--Glen

That message comes from the ipn.php page that this contribution adds to your store. If the IPN page is being hit for other transactions, you probably have set your Instant Payment Notification Preference to access it. You don't need to do that with the current version of this contribution; it sends the link when it sends the customer to PayPal during checkout. To stop the messages, go into your PayPal profile (on the live server) and set your Instant Payment Notification preference to "off". The contribution will still work.

--Glen

Ohhhhhhh. :blush: :blush: :blush: You're right, I did have that activated in my PayPal live profile.

OK, I deactivated it.

Geez, Glen, you & others have been really helpful while I've been trying to figure this out. I really hope after going thru all of this I can a) eventually make it work and b ) give something back by helping out others. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Morcar

I'll try this question again :-"

I use a flat fee shipping.

No shipping charges are carried over to PayPal.

Eventhough the shipping charges do appear on the

checkout page prior to "confirming" which takes the

customer to paypal.

Help please!

~Roland

Guys I have a question.

I installed the paypal IPN module and it is working great.

I now enabled the encryption after multiple attempts this is what worked for me:

- Your Private Key: I used the private key generated by my server (SSL Manager)

- Your Public Certificate: My Server SSL certificate

- PayPals Public Certificate: The public certificate downloaded from the paypal webpage

- Your PayPal Public Certificate ID: the ID I got after uploading my public certificate (from the server) to paypal

- Working Directory: A directly in my public html directory

The above configuration works fine provided all the keys, including the private key, are stored in web server directory and have read access.

Now this is where I have my doubts. Should everyone be able to access and view my keys including the private key by accessing the key file directly via the web browser? If I restrict read access to any of the keys or place them in directories outside the HTML public folder of the server I get error messages.

Your help is highly appreciated.