• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

The message occurs at my url while logged in to the sandbox.  I see the suggestion to use an "abosolute" path.  I'm not sure what this means. :blink:

I don't know if I mentioned it before, and if I did, I apologize for the wasted bandwidth, but my site is hosted by p4host.  Does anyone else have their site there and are they or did they have the same problems?

Oh, and here's a biggie that I think may be part of the problem to, how can I check to see if OpenSSL is on my server? and if it's not, how can I install it?

Thanks!

:'(

The errors are the same. Is anyone familiar enough to help with the following errors?

Warning: fopen(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-data.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 366

Warning: fopen(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-data.txt): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 366

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 367

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 368

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 399

Warning: unlink(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-data.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 400

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/seamer/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 402

Warning: unlink(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-signed.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 403

Warning: fopen(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-encrypted.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 405

Warning: fopen(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: Operation not permitted in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 405

Warning: filesize(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-encrypted.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 406

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 406

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 407

Warning: unlink(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/public_html/store/temp//307009-4-encrypted.txt) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp) in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 409

With the following settings in Admin:

Enable PayPal IPN Module

Do you want to accept PayPal IPN payments?

True

E-Mail Address

The e-mail address to use for the PayPal IPN service

[email protected]

Transaction Currency

The currency to use for transactions

Selected Currency

Only USD

Payment Zone

If a zone is selected, only enable this payment method for that zone.

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Set the status of prepared orders made with this payment module to this value

preparing

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set the status of orders made with this payment module to this value

Gateway Server

Use the testing (sandbox) or live gateway server for transactions?

Testing

Transaction Type

Send individual items to PayPal or aggregate all as one total item?

Per Item

Page Style

The page style to use for the transaction procedure (defined at your PayPal Profile page)

nameofpagestyle setup at PayPal.com

Debug E-Mail Address

All parameters of an Invalid IPN notification will be sent to this email address if one is entered.

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Sort order of display. Lowest is displayed first.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

Do you want to enable Encrypted Web Payments?

True

Your Private Key

The location of your Private Key to use for signing the data. (*.pem)

/ssl/private/mydomain.com.key

Your Public Certificate

The location of your Public Certificate to use for signing the data. (*.pem)

/ssl/private/mydomain.com.crt

PayPals Public Certificate

The location of the PayPal Public Certificate for encrypting the data.

/ssl/certs/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

The Certificate ID to use from your PayPal Encrypted Payment Settings Profile.

My Cert ID

Working Directory

The working directory to use for temporary files. (trailing slash needed)

/public_html/store/temp/

OpenSSL Location

The location of the openssl binary file.

/usr/bin/ssl

Is the "absolute path"

/home/username:/public_html/...

or something like that?

Thanks!

Your urls have "username:" in them.

I don't think you can have ":" in a url.

Is that your true email: [email protected] and your true path with 'username' inside ??

Look in your configure.php for the difference between a virtual and absolute (physical, logic) path. If you don't give the correct paths you will keep getting these errors. You can also find your absolute path by going to your admin->tools and choose Server Info. There you will find an entry open_basedir which will tell your absolute path.

But there is still an issue (indirectly) with this module.

After clicking "Continue" at PayPal and being redirected back to checkout_success.php, the variable $products_array does not exist, so osC is unable to present a list of products for which to enable notification.  Also, $last_order does not exist, so includes/modules/downloads.php is unable to present the download links.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks folks. 

- Eric

One problem I'm having is, I don't even get the Continue button... I click PAY, and then get returned to my site. Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Is that your true email: [email protected] and your true path with 'username' inside ??

Look in your configure.php for the difference between a virtual and absolute (physical, logic) path. If you don't give the correct paths you will keep getting these errors. You can also find your absolute path by going to your admin->tools and choose Server Info. There you will find an entry open_basedir which will tell your absolute path.

Hmmmm.... Here's the entry (copy and pasted) under open_basedir in Admin>Tools>Server Info

/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp

Now, what part, or all of it, do I use? When I log into the site with WSFTPLE, there are the following folders:

etc

mail

public_ftp

public_html

ssl

tmp

my certs are in SSL

so, would my absolute path be

/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/ssl ???

Sorry, I'm new at this and a bit consused.

Thanks for everyones help!

Hmmmm....  Here's the entry (copy and pasted) under open_basedir in Admin>Tools>Server Info

/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp

Now, what part, or all of it, do I use?  When I log into the site with WSFTPLE, there are the following folders:

etc

mail

public_ftp

public_html

ssl

tmp

my certs are in SSL

so, would my absolute path be

/home/username:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/ssl  ???

Sorry, I'm new at this and a bit consused.

Thanks for everyones help!

I have not seen such reference to a path before and it seems pretty sure you should not use that as an absolute path. It looks like it is merged for paths to several parts of your site. Your host should be able to tell what is what and which your absolute path to your user directory in reality is.

If I compare it to mine (home/httpd/vhosts/mydomain.nl/httpdocs) yours must be something similar but probably shorter. The /home/username/public_html will then probably be the root for your domain where you go when you type www.yourdomain.com.

References to absolute paths should then be like:

/home/username/public_html/catalog

/home/username/public_html/temp (which you probably have to create yourself)

etc.

The confusing thing is 'username'. To me it seems like there should be a real name in place of that but maybe this is how your host has set up things with the 'username' for everyone instead of something like /home/wvsailor/public_html

Looking back to your previous post the reference to the different files would be:

/home/username/ssl/private/mydomain.com.key

/home/username/ssl/private/mydomain.com.crt

/home/username/ssl/certs/paypal_cert_pem.txt

and

/home/username/public_html/store/temp/

but again, the part 'username' within the path and 'mydomain' inside your email address look more like a sample name as the real name for your domain.

I have not seen such reference to a path before and it seems pretty sure you should not use that as an absolute path. It looks like it is merged for paths to several parts of your site. Your host should be able to tell what is what and which your absolute path to your user directory in reality is.

If I compare it to mine (home/httpd/vhosts/mydomain.nl/httpdocs) yours must be something similar but probably shorter. The /home/username/public_html will then probably be the root for your domain where you go when you type www.yourdomain.com.

References to absolute paths should then be like:

/home/username/public_html/catalog

/home/username/public_html/temp (which you probably have to create yourself)

etc.

The confusing thing is 'username'. To me it seems like there should be a real name in place of that but maybe this is how your host has set up things with the 'username' for everyone instead of something like /home/wvsailor/public_html

Looking back to your previous post the reference to the different files would be:

/home/username/ssl/private/mydomain.com.key

/home/username/ssl/private/mydomain.com.crt

/home/username/ssl/certs/paypal_cert_pem.txt

and

/home/username/public_html/store/temp/

but again, the part 'username'  within the path and 'mydomain' inside your email address look more like a sample name as the real name for your domain.

I did use "sample" names instead of the real thing. Didn't want to post the user information for security reasons. I appreciate your help! I think I have it working now I just need to change the permissions on the directory.

Thanks!!!

I did use "sample" names instead of the real thing.  Didn't want to post the user information for security reasons.  I appreciate your help!  I think I have it working now I just need to change the permissions on the directory.

Thanks!!!

Ok, got the permissions set correctly, got the absolute pate correct (I think) but I'm getting the following error :'( now:

Warning: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 406

and line 406 reads:

$data = fread($fh, filesize(MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_EWP_WORKING_DIRECTORY . '/' . $random_string . 'encrypted.txt'));

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation

PayPal IPN

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

E-Mail Address

mydomain.com

Transaction Currency

Only USD

Payment Zone

--none--

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Gateway Server

Testing

Transaction Type

Per Item

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address

Sort order of display.

True

Your Private Key

/home/mydomain/public_html/mydomain.com.key

Your Public Certificate

/home/mydomain/public_html/mydomain.com.crt

/home/mydomain/public_html/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Working Directory

/home/gradeasu/public_html/store/temp

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

This are the errors I receive on my confirmation page

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /home/Warning: fopen(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 349

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 350

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 351

Warning: openssl_pkcs7_sign(): error opening input file /home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt! in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 356

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 358

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 361

Warning: fopen(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 365

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 366

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 367

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 373

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 376

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 380

What could I be missing? I did look in the open_basedir area and (no values) were grayed out. I'm been losing sleep over this one. :'(

Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation

PayPal IPN

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

E-Mail Address

mydomain.com

Transaction Currency

Only USD

Payment Zone

--none--

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Gateway Server

Testing

Transaction Type

Per Item

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address

Sort order of display.

True

Your Private Key

/home/mydomain/public_html/mydomain.com.key

Your Public Certificate

/home/mydomain/public_html/mydomain.com.crt

/home/mydomain/public_html/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Working Directory

/home/gradeasu/public_html/store/temp

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

This are the errors I receive on my confirmation page

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /home/Warning: fopen(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 349

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 350

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 351

Warning: openssl_pkcs7_sign(): error opening input file /home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt! in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 356

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-data.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 358

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 361

Warning: fopen(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 365

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 366

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 367

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-signed.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 373

Warning: file_get_contents(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 376

Warning: unlink(/home/mydomain/public_html//573912-6-encrypted.txt): No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/ecommerce/os/catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 380

What could I be missing?  I did look in the open_basedir area and (no values) were grayed out.  I'm been losing sleep over this one.  :'(

Thanks!

I ended up moving my crt/key/pem file from my home/username/ssl folder to home/username/tmp with permissions set to 777 on the tmp folder. For some reason I couldn't change the permissions on the ssl folder. I'm still recieving the following error though:

Warning: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in /home/username/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 406

If I figure it out, I'll post it and let you know.

Do you have a number entered for:

This is what I have done up to this point:

I down loaded & saved:

cert_key_pem (Text File)

paypal_cert_pem (Text File)

I divided up cert_key_pem (Text File) and created:

mydomain.com.crt

mydomain.com.key

I upload these files (paypal_cert_pem, mydomain.com.crt, & mydomain.com.key) to my webhoster. There location is /home/gradeasu/public_html/

Next I divided the cert_key_pem file again and created:

mydomain.com.pem (which was the cert part)

Then I uploaded this file onto paypal (Your Public Certificates) area.

It then created my Cert ID & I saved it under (Your PayPal Public Certificate ID) area

If you could recreate my process above on how I should be doing it I would be thrilled! Thanks for responding!

Ok, got the permissions set correctly, got the absolute pate correct (I think) but I'm getting the following error  :'(  now:

and line 406 reads:

$data = fread($fh, filesize(MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_EWP_WORKING_DIRECTORY . '/' . $random_string . 'encrypted.txt'));

Thanks!

Jim,

Your almost there and this error must be an issue with one or more of the files provided. When I was testing a while back I got two files from Paypal and one I got through my own which were a working combination. I later wanted to change this to my official SSL certificate and got errors but this was in the middle of the period Paypal themself were having/making trouble. I haven't bothered with it since and disabled the encryption part of the IPN to be able to go live.

When it worked I had my three files just inside the root of my domain but I guess that shouldn't make any difference with having them in a subdirectory.

Looking at the previous post (not sure if you did the same); there should be no need to divide the files !

Jim,

Your almost there and this error must be an issue with one or more of the files provided. When I was testing a while back I got two files from Paypal and one I got through my own which were a working combination. I later wanted to change this to my official SSL certificate and got errors but this was in the middle of the period Paypal themself were having/making trouble. I haven't bothered with it since and disabled the encryption part of the IPN to be able to go live.

When it worked I had my three files just inside the root of my domain but I guess that shouldn't make any difference with having them in a subdirectory.

Looking at the previous post (not sure if you did the same); there should be no need to divide the files !

Well, I got it to work!!! Woohoo!!!! I finally figured it out while talking to my sister. She's a gem letting me walk through everything with her. She helped me figure out that you need to upload the TEST certificate when working on the TEST/SANDBOX server, not your LIVE certificate (DOH!). Well, I got it working and I want to thank everyone that helped me!

Well, I got it to work!!!  Woohoo!!!!  I finally figured it out while talking to my sister.  She's a gem letting me walk through everything with her.  She helped me figure out that you need to upload the TEST certificate when working on the TEST/SANDBOX server, not your LIVE certificate (DOH!).  Well, I got it working and I want to thank everyone that helped me!

Good job :thumbsup:

Well, I got it to work!!!  Woohoo!!!!  I finally figured it out while talking to my sister.  She's a gem letting me walk through everything with her.  She helped me figure out that you need to upload the TEST certificate when working on the TEST/SANDBOX server, not your LIVE certificate (DOH!).  Well, I got it working and I want to thank everyone that helped me!

Could you give some insight on what I could be doing wrong? I just want to make sure I am on the right path. Above I listed,

"This is what I have done up to this point:"

Do you see any areas in which I have gone wrong? I would be grateful for any help! Thanks!!

Congrats on getting everything running!

Well, I got it to work!!! Woohoo!!!! I finally figured it out while talking to my sister. She's a gem letting me walk through everything with her. She helped me figure out that you need to upload the TEST certificate when working on the TEST/SANDBOX server, not your LIVE certificate (DOH!). Well, I got it working and I want to thank everyone that helped me!

!!!Congratulation !!! :) :thumbsup:

Anita.

Welcome to vist my Site:

Anita.

Hi all,

I am testing PayPal IPN in sandbox and get the followig error when the transaction is completed.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /mypath/catalog/checkout_process.php on line 223

Please help!!

TIA.

David

Ok, I was a bit premature.... :(

When clicking on the "Confirm Order" button, it takes me to paypal and I get the following error:

Error Detected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a problem with the decryption of your secure order. Please contact your merchant.

Any ideas?

Ok, I was a bit premature....  :(

When clicking on the "Confirm Order" button, it takes me to paypal and I get the following error:

Error Detected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a problem with the decryption of your secure order. Please contact your merchant.

Any ideas?

Ok, I was a bit premature.... :(

Decided to "buy" something from myself. When clicking on the "Confirm Order" button, it takes me to paypal and I get the following error at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr:

Error Detected

I've changed the email addy to the [email protected] from [email protected] for the live server. Don't know how or even where I got the second, but I have TWO crt's from paypal. One called paypal_cert_pem.txt and cert_key_pem.txt (second was downloaded from Paypal after logging in to my "[email protected]" account, going to profile, selling preferences, encrypted payment settings, uploading my crt file, and downloading from PayPal--I don't remember where I got the first from! AArg! I guess I should have taken better notes!)

If under Admin>Modules>Payment>Paypal IPN I change Paypals Public Certificate to the paypal_cert_pem.txt I get an error about the following error at https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr:

Error Detected

The email address for the business is not present in the encrypted blob. Please contact your merchant.

Now, when I generated my certificate on my site, I used the email address "[email protected]".

So, I guess the questions I have now are:

1) Which file from paypal should I use if any? or

2) Should I regenerate my crt/key using the "[email protected]", re-upload and get a "new" Publice Certificate & ID from PayPal

I'm so confused and flusterated B) at this point! I'm gonna scream! hehehe

Your key and your certificate can remain the same when you switch between live and sandbox.

But, when you switch from live to sandbox you need to switch the PayPal certificate file and the Your PayPal Public Certificate ID.

In other words you can upload the same certificate to PayPal's live site that you upload to PayPal's sandbox, but each will issue you a unique PayPal Public Certificate ID. So you have to just switch the number in your PayPal IPN module.

Likewise, apparently PayPal doies not use the same public certficate for their live site that they do for their sandbox site.

When I switch I also change the PayPals Public Certificate. I keep both in my certificate directory with different names, and just change the file path in the PayPal module when I switch from live to sandbox.

Rik Rasmussen