• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

I had an order reupdate itself to the paypal verified status on Feb. 9th. From what I read this is just an error with paypal's ipn servers that was happen on the 9th. Did anyone else have this craziness happen?

02/09/2005 17:57:02 False PayPal Order Received PayPal IPN Verified [Completed (Unverified; $34.85)]

Edited by davidpeterson

Well, just made another try and everything seems fine (I have disabled the whole webencrypt portion as Paypal gave me all errors last week and I have absolutely no lust to reinstate it for the next millenium  :lol: )

Well, my webencrypt portion is always disabled too and I always get the IPN everyday for the past week. Some of you guys might want to try disabling it see if it makes a difference.

I do get the email notification, I do get the money and I can go to my site from the "Continue" button.

My outstanding issues is PayPal IPN are:

1. I always get "PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]". Why? How to get "PayPal IPN Verified [Completed]" instead? Are the anything we need to set at the palpal_ipn.php file?

2. I always get 1 instance of "Preparing [Paypal IPN]" and 3 instances on "PayPal IPN Invalid [Completed]". They appear randomly in my history at few minutes apart.

You can also add this right below $parameters['country'] = $order->billing['country']['iso_code_2'];

$parameters['email'] = $order->customer['email_address'];

Will fill in the customers email address as well... just one less thing for them to type :P

Thanks for the addition Kristina :)

You're welcome, Andrea! I'm leaving the e-mail line out on my installation because if the e-mail matches what PayPal has in their database, it forces a PayPal login process. I wanted to give my customers the option of using a new e-mail address or skipping the PayPal login. I was also parsing the phone number -- which is a can of worms for international users -- when I discovered the phone number is also a PayPal trigger for forced login. Hopefully, PayPal will eventually learn to be happy with their transaction and discount fees and let us use them as a true payment gateway.

I've looked for a contribution using the pure PayPal API, but haven't found one. Is anoyone aware of an API module/hack to do the whole transaction entirely on our own site?

-- k.

I turned off the encryption but the results are the same, the continue button does not return me to my web site, and I do not receive the IPN.

Edited by RikR

Rik Rasmussen

Help!

After installing the PalPal IPN, do we still need to login to paypal to manually turn on the IPN?

In PayPal, when I go to Instant Payment Notification Preferences, I saw that IPN is "off" and there is no IPN URL. Should I set it to "on"? And it says "enter the URL at which you will receive the payment notifications below. This URL should be a URL which you own and at which you receive HTML posts". So which specific page receives HTML posts? I don't think it's the root directory of my site, right?

You do not need to turn on the IPN or enter the url.

When the osC PayPal IPN module send the customer to PayPal to pay, it sends the return url and the request for the IPN.

Unfortunantly, PayPal is ignoring these at this time.

I wish the osC team and PayPal could get their heads together on this and get it resolved.

PayPal says there is no problem on their end. I have not seen the osC team comment on this issue.

Rik Rasmussen

I am using a modified version of the MYOB contribution to write my orders to an ascii file.

It works perfectly with osCommerce PayPal IPN module except for the order number and the order total.

I have placed

if (CREATE_SALE_MYOB_TXT_FILE) {include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'bwg_sale.php');}

after:

$this->after_process();

How can I get the order number and the order total into this file?

Thanks,

Donna

Sandbxo settings:

PayPal IPN

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

True

Your Private Key

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/twowayradiodirectory.com.key

Your Public Certificate

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/twowayradiodirectory.com.crt

PayPals Public Certificate

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/pp/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

HC6YQQCxxxxxxxx

Working Directory

/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/catalog/temp/

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

I was wondering which file permissions you have set for your private key and public cert files in your Web directory. I tried it with 755 and it works. But it does not seem to work with other types of permissions. But with 755, it's not a good idea to store the files in the Web directory.

Phil

Thanks for catching that. 700 works better.

When I set it to 700 (or anything other than 755), I see this error when I get to the checkout_confirmation.php page:

Warning: fread(): Length parameter must be greater than 0. in /usr/www/users/mydomain/myshopname/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php on line 404

Phil

I found a big potential flaw today while testing the module. I'm not sure if this affects everyone but I would check it out for sure.

If you goto checkout and to the confirmation page and then stop go back and change your shipping options it does not update the order with the new shipping option (although it does show the new option on the screen to the vistor) and you cannot pay once you reach paypal, or sometimes it lets you pay but then your order totals are off, generally this happens when you select a more expensive shipping option....

It has something to do with the fact that the module creates an order before you actually confirm it I think....

Can anyone else duplicate this problem or suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with the oscom paypal ipn contrib in that when orders appear in the admin section, there is no date/time of order listed. This seems to have happened after I performed the modification to 'server time' settings of the store so that orders placed would appear in my time not the server time. This hasn't affected the nochex apc contrib but has affected the paypal ipn.

Anyone have any ideas where I can fix this?

Thanks

Matt

Hi all,

I just uploaded the version 1.1 files, and now get the following error on the payment modules page in the admin section -

Warning: main(/home/slawson/public_html/store/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/slawson/public_html/store/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: main(/home/slawson/public_html/store/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/slawson/public_html/store/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/home/slawson/public_html/store/includes/languages/english/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/slawson/public_html/store/admin/modules.php on line 128

any idea what i've done wrong?

thanks!

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

OK, sorted - it's just me being a moron... didn't upload the file into the language file...

sorry for waste of bandwidth.

big big thankyou to everyone who contributes to OSC - gives me faith in people! :)

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Edited by Steve Lawson

I am completely baffled...

I have installed the lastet PayPayl IPN read through this thread a million times but still cannot get it working.

So I went back to make things simple and are NOT using encrypted transfer.

However when I actually confirm the order, I get the paypal page

Please enter an amount greater than zero.

Your shopping cart is empty.

When I look at the form data, it all appears to be there... I have turned on IPN on the paypal site... BUt I can't think of anything else?

Please help!

Hi I have this contribution on my site for a few weeks now and it does solve the problem of customers not returning, which is good. It does create some other problems for me though.

1) No emails get sent at all if the customer does not return to the site.

2) All of my confirmation emails are now stripped of the product attributes. This is annoying me a lot as I use the email to send to my distributor and the attributes are important. I have to check each order and past it in at the moment.

3) I notice a possible bug, can?t be sure it is related to this contribution though. I had one customer make several false checkouts which created lots of preparing sales. He then finally completed a checkout. I noticed that the delivery address in the email I was sent did not match the one in the database for the order. Is it possible that the contrib confused two of his orders together? This I have only noticed once but if it happened a lot then that would be a real problem.

If anybody can tell me how to fix any of this stuff then for me it would make this contribution a lot better.

You do not need to turn on the IPN or enter the url.

When the osC PayPal IPN module send the customer to PayPal to pay, it sends the return url and the request for the IPN.

Unfortunantly, PayPal is ignoring these at this time.

I wish the osC team and PayPal could get their heads together on this and get it resolved.

PayPal says there is no problem on their end. I have not seen the osC team comment on this issue.

I'm not the only one with this problem then ?

When my customers go through the checkout it all works fine, and then something (i dont know what) happends after they click confirm order and the order is logged but with no payment against it.

Yet the stupid thing i cant work out is why it works for me on 3 different browsers 100% of the time and it works for a friend of mine 100% of the time. I'm getting like 1 or 2 orders actually paid for in a day and the rest i have to send emails to asking them to send me a manual "send money" payment!

This as you can imagine is very frustrating and its been happening for over a week now, has anyone got any idea whats going on because ive not changed any of my settings for months and now suddenly this is not working.

Could it be my web host do you think ?

Or is it down to Paypal and OSC ?

:( :( :( :(

Is anyone successfully using PayPal with the IPN module NOW?

I'm thinking about switching to another PayPal module. The old one only had one flaw for me: some orders weren't stored in the databse because the customer didn't return. It can be resolved by (temporary) storing the order before checkout, I think there's a contrib for it.

Now: I've got many "fake" orders (customers going to PayPal, but never coming back), the tax didn't show, and the order status acts weird.

Easy to install, but hard to use.

B.t.w. is this one supported by someone?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to RikR for showing me this thread (which would not come up on search, I looked and looked), I have made some progress.

I am having trouble getting my Your PayPal Public Certificate ID from PayPal. I understand I need to upload a .pem file first? I tried to save my certificate as a .pem file in notepad (yes, checked the file extension) but PayPal refused it. Am I using the wrong file?

Hi everyone,

Thanks to RikR for showing me this thread (which would not come up on search, I looked and looked), I have made some progress.

I am having trouble getting my Your PayPal Public Certificate ID from PayPal.? I understand I need to upload a .pem file first?? I tried to save my certificate as a .pem file in notepad (yes, checked the file extension) but PayPal refused it.? Am I using the wrong file?

Ok, figured that part out, got my Certificate ID. But when I try to check out (live) I get the following error:

Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again.

If I hit the continue button it takes me into paypal, where the entire transaction is lost. It is still in OsC though.

Here is what I have in the admin panel:

PayPal IPN

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Transaction Currency

Selected Currency

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Gateway Server

Live

Transaction Type

Aggregate

Page Style

PayPal

Debug E-Mail Address

[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

True

Your Private Key

/hshome/user/sunsettemplates.com/catalog/admin/sunsettemplates.com.key

Your Public Certificate

/hshome/user/sunsettemplates.com/catalog/admin/sunsettemplates.com.crt

PayPals Public Certificate

/hshome/user/sunsettemplates.com/catalog/admin/paypal_cert_pem.txt

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

3HPCxxxxxxxxx

Working Directory

/hshome/user/sunsettemplates.com/catalog/temp/

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

I finally get this far, had my fingers crossed and now this. What could I be doing wrong?

Edited by sunsetwebdesign

1 one question. In the sandbox it says

In order to use PayPal web services, you need to use the following WSDL files:

Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/PayPalSvc.wsdl

Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/eBLBaseComponents.xsd

Live: www.paypal.com/wsdl/CoreComponentTypes.xsd

What the heck do I do with these files?

Well, I'm about to give up with this module. I can't fix this error, I'm wasting too much time trying to get this going. The tech support at my hosting company has been useless about OsC (even though they installed it!).

So far the original paypal set-up in OsC is doing just what the module is doing. The original one is working without the error though. And I can't see spending all this money on SSL certificates right now if it's not going to fix this issue.

I have 1 more question. Is there nothing in PayPal or the OsC files that I can alter so that the shop owner receives an exact copy of the receipts that the customers are getting? The product info is obviously getting through PayPal as the customers are getting detailed receipts. It is also showing up in the admin panel under orders. I just need this info to be e-mailed to the shop owners. That's it, that's all, should be this complicated. What do I need to do? :(