• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

This is going to sound SOOOOOOOOOOO very 'basic' and I apologize in advance for the simplicity of it.

I've had this......................

Thanks! Helena

Hi Helena,

I am trying to get this working too.

Contact me if you need to bounce some ideas off....

Cheers,

D

Another question...

When the PayPal sandbox confirms your request and sends you back to the merchant site.

Does the PAyPal sandbox notify the merchant site so that the 'Preparing [PayPal IPN]' Status changes to Pending?

Hi Helena,

I am trying to get this working too.

Contact me if you need to bounce some ideas off....

Cheers,

D

Hey D,

Well, when I open up the catalog folder, there are 2 options: ext and includes. The "ext" has modules, pymt and then the Paypal_ipn and the ipn_php. The "includes" folder has lanuages and modues in subfolders, resulting in the ipn_php. I actually uploaded each at separate times to see what the differences were into the payment modules folder in my admin panel. It uploaded successfully, but then I got this funky error msg in either case (both uploads gave me the same message) that ipn_php doesn't exist on line 167 of the .PHP What does that mean?!?!?!?

Do I have to upload it to two different places? It actually showed Paypal IPN as a payment module in my admin, but I deleted it because I was afraid to screw something major up, and didn't proceed with the install. Seems that folks here are so knowledgable, I feel like an idiot because I don't know the basic stuff ... and I kinda need a step-by-step of how to do this.

Any luck on your end?

Helena

Hey D,

Well, when I open up the cat....... Any luck on your end?

Helena

Hi Helena,

Yes I managed to figure it out. Well to a point.....

I think this is what I did. I am a tad busy right now so I don't have the time to double check this.

Anyway, here goes

1. I'd suggest using a separate copy of your install to test this incase anything screws up.

2. Rename the /ext folder to /extOLD

3. Download the paypal module from http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

4. Unzip it. (there is an installation guide in this zip = install_guide_READ_ME.html use the installation link under Contents)

5. Take the /ext folder from the zip and put it in place of the old /ext folder.

6. Then configure it in the osCommerve admin panel.

7. You will have to create an account in the Paypall Sandbox

8. You will have to get Paypal to verify an account for you (I think)

9. I did my first transaction with a credit card in the sandbox and after that it wanted me to verify the account.

10. I left a request on the paypal support forum asking them to verify an account for me.

11. Also once you have set up an account in the sand box you have to set up another account as a seller and

use this account name on your osCommerce site admin panel.

And until they verify my account I am stuck.

Cheers,

D

I had a "paypal" module already installed.

"removed" it from admin webpage as directed & installed

osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v2.3.3 For 2.2MS2

in admin still shows paypal & there is no paypal_ipn module showing in the control panel to "install"

nor one listed "Credit/Debit Card (via PayPal)"

would I have needed to totally delete it from my server files first?

Edited by bonepillows

Looking at the info shown in the admin/index.php PayPal IPN module created preparing orders, and then updated to pending. So it seems to me that the problem might not specifically be PayPal IPN. Please test with other payment modules like cash on delivery or check/money order module, and see if you can get the new orders listed. I think there is something wrong in database orders, orders_status and orders_status_history tables, so the orders are not listed.

Your currencies settings look good to me. I can't see without further info why the total amount shown as 0 at PayPal.

Alex, thanks for your kind suggestion.

I've now resolved the issue by installing paypal_ipn on a new osc store and the price shows up correctly.

Now i've moved on to a bigger issue as I have searched this topic and found no direct answer-

The order status seems to function correctly, when a customer clicked on checkout confirm then order status shows Paypal_ipn, then after one pays then it's changed to Pending. I'm using paypal testing sanbox and the only email i got is the payment email from paypal, never received my debug email, is this normal?

Also, I'm having issue with my stock not being deducted (not even talking about the attribute stock level, will deal w/ that later)

any suggestion or pls point me to the right post if it's been answered before.

thanks again.

oscnods

I installed PayPal IPN Payment Module v2.3.3 add on and it seemed to integrate fine. My only issue so far is when the user goes to the shopping cart and gets to payment processing i have the following message:

"This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order."

There are no other options and you never get redirected to PayPal. I get order emails through fine. Just no redirect to paypal to take payment.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?

I installed PayPal IPN Payment Module v2.3.3 add on and it seemed to integrate fine. My only issue so far is when the user goes to the shopping cart and gets to payment processing i have the following message:

"This is currently the only payment method available to use on this order."

There are no other options and you never get redirected to PayPal. I get order emails through fine. Just no redirect to paypal to take payment.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?

pls go to your domain/admin/modules.php?set=payment

select Credit/Debit Card (via Paypal) and make sure it's installed.

Enabled is set to TRUE

Gateway Server set to LIVE

if the above did not help, pls post back your complete settings from the same page.

Edited by oscnods

The order status seems to function correctly, when a customer clicked on checkout confirm then order status shows Paypal_ipn, then after one pays then it's changed to Pending. I'm using paypal testing sanbox and the only email i got is the payment email from paypal, never received my debug email, is this normal?

Also, I'm having issue with my stock not being deducted (not even talking about the attribute stock level, will deal w/ that later)

It seems to me that your ipn.php has problems querying orders from database. PayPal IPN module sends orders_id to PayPal as invoice_id, and then ipn.php uses the invoice_id sent back to find the order record in database. Please try this link and find out why it doesn't work. You'll need access to your server error log for the debug code to work.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hello,

Could anyone help me, I was using the Paypal ipn module, but removed it some time ago.

I now wish to start using the 2.3.3; I have copied the files over, but in the admin when I click the install button nothing happens; the same is true when I try to revert to the old 2.3.2 I was using I click install and the page refreshes, but the install button stays and no options to configure, what is going on?

I have tries chmod-ing and the files are chown-ed to the correct user.

I would be grateful if someone could help. Happy New Year anyway!

Edited by freeview19

A pet peeve of paypal ipn is the initial confusing paypal screen which conceals the link to pay without a paypal account. Customers without a paypal account struggle to find this rather inconspicuous link ultimately resulting in abandoned carts. If customers can locate the pay-without-a-paypal-account link, a second page comes up with two forms: one form to enter credit card info on the left, and another form to pay with a paypal account on the right. I do not know about the later paypal ipn versions as I am still using paypal ipn v 1.1.2, but does V2.3.3 enable us to bypass the first confusing paypal page and take us directly to the second page? The scond page already allows both credit card and paypal methods of payment. Alternatively, how can code be modified to bypass this first page?

This is the initial page																		   This is the second page

paypalipn3.gifpaypalipn4.gif

MULTIPLE CUSTOMER EMAILS using paypal ipn

(previously posted elsewhere in error, sorry!)

This only happens with paypal ipn and not with the other two payment options I have installed (Nochex and the cc module). It has happened since installation and regardless of encryption. The paypal transaction seems to run fine, payment taken and the order status is changed from "preparing (paypal ipn)" to "pending" on order completion but the customer invariably then gets 3 emails identical "order process" emails with different ids and from the osc mailer (not from paypal).

Here are three recent headers:

Received: (qmail 26064 invoked by uid 48); 30 Dec 2007 19:05:59 +0000

Message-ID: <20071230190556.26051.qmail@****dns6.co.uk>

Received: (qmail 26228 invoked by uid 48); 30 Dec 2007 19:06:27 +0000

Message-ID: <20071230190627.26227.qmail@****dns6.co.uk>

Received: (qmail 11343 invoked by uid 48); 30 Dec 2007 19:54:53 +0000

Message-ID: <20071230195452.11341.qmail@****dns6.co.uk>

Always, two messages go out very quickly and then the third an hour or maybe more later.

I just can't think where to look. Any ideas, please?

Martin

It seems to me that your ipn.php has problems querying orders from database. PayPal IPN module sends orders_id to PayPal as invoice_id, and then ipn.php uses the invoice_id sent back to find the order record in database. Please try this link and find out why it doesn't work. You'll need access to your server error log for the debug code to work.

thanks for the link and the error code instruction.

my stock not deducting issue has shown some improvement.

Basically I change a simple code from your v.2.3.3 and now it starts to deduct the main stock level

yet I'm still having the attribute quantity issue.

here's what i have changed:

around line 148

// If the order is completed, then we want to send the order email and update the stock
//##mod		if ($_POST['payment_status'] == 'Completed') { // START STATUS == COMPLETED LOOP
				 if ($_POST['payment_status'] == 'Pending') { // START STATUS == COMPLETED LOOP

since the change, whenever the customer pays the paypal

then the order status will changed to Pending and the stock will be deducted just fine.

do you think the change will have any negative effect on the shop?

$_POST['payment_status'] == 'Pending' means you didn't actually receive the payment. It could be pending echeck, bank transfer or anything else that PayPal's not able to complete it at the moment. Logically you shouldn't be deducting stock level at this point. The original code means to deduct stock level only when the payment_status is 'Completed'.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

$_POST['payment_status'] == 'Pending' means you didn't actually receive the payment. It could be pending echeck, bank transfer or anything else that PayPal's not able to complete it at the moment. Logically you shouldn't be deducting stock level at this point. The original code means to deduct stock level only when the payment_status is 'Completed'.

i see, you just pointed me out to the right direction and now I just checked my sandbox seller account and all the money hasn't been claimed and that's why all the order were in 'pending' status. after i have claimed the money, everything changed to 'completed' status.

the last part of my issue is to subtract the attribute stock level,

can you kindly point me to a link or maybe some solution that you have seen?

or should I post the attribute stock subtraction code from my checkout_process.php

and maybe you know where i can insert the code in the ipn.php...

thank you for your support!

Edited by oscnods

Payments made by PayPal account balance usually have 'Completed' payment_status sent back with IPN calls immediately. If you set Completed Orders Status to pending in PayPal IPN settings, ipn.php will update the orders_status to pending. If you set PayPal Acknowledged orders status to pending as well, then you will not be able to tell in a glance which orders have payments completed unless you check the order detail.

Payments made by PayPal account balance usually have 'Completed' payment_status sent back with IPN calls immediately. If you set Completed Orders Status to pending in PayPal IPN settings, ipn.php will update the orders_status to pending. If you set PayPal Acknowledged orders status to pending as well, then you will not be able to tell in a glance which orders have payments completed unless you check the order detail.

Alex, it seems like you are responding to my pre-edited post,

please refresh the page again and you should see the change. thanks.

I have just installed Paypal IPN and it seems to be working fine with one exception. Although the order status is updated to pending and the comments set to 'PayPal IPN Verified' the store owner never receives an order confirmation email. The customer does and the paypal payment notifications also come through.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I've trawled most of this thread but can't find an answer.

Ian

Hello Everyone, Thank you for your efforts. I'm a week old in OScommerce and I've put together what I wanted for my shop because of all the support and contributions.

My last hurdle is with the paypal ipn. I looked deep to find the information that would have allowed me to take care of this issue on my own, but I feel asking for your precious help is my last hope.

My order status are not updating. The right amounts and product information are shown to the customer once logged in paypal. The emails (admin and paypal) are sent to client and admin with the transaction details.

I am using testing with sandbox.

My admin settings are:

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN] (this is the satus showing on admin and client side---this status never changes)

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Processing (this status never shows, even after a purchase is completed and paypal has sent to admin an email to confirm payment received)

Gateway Server

Testing

Transaction Type

Aggregate

The debug email shows this:

PayPal IPN Invalid Process

$_POST:

$_GET:

I have version 2.3.3 and I also have the mod "Points/Rewards V2.00".

The ipn.php test brings a white screen as it should. Register globals are on. The ext folder permission is set at 644.

My host is bluehost.

curl version 7.15.3

PHP 5.2.3

Oscommerce 2.2 MS2

I have a dedicated IP and SSL certificate

Any help will be greatly appreciated--

www.stretchyourbills.com

Thank you!

Create a Nice Day

I thought I would add the answer to my problem I posted a couple of days ago:

My problem was that the paypal module would not install, I would click the install button with no effect.

I solved this by looking in the database; I found that in the configuration table there were multiple instances of the configuration key MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_STATUS, I deleted all but one of these and the module started working.

Now I am passing on my experience I do not have a detailed knowledge of this area, so I cannot vouch for the safety of this fix, only for it's apparent efficacy. I would be interested to know other people thoughts and also mayb any ideas on what could have caused this problem.

I have just installed Paypal IPN and it seems to be working fine with one exception. Although the order status is updated to pending and the comments set to 'PayPal IPN Verified' the store owner never receives an order confirmation email. The customer does and the paypal payment notifications also come through.

Any ideas why this may be happening? I've trawled most of this thread but can't find an answer.

Ian

Forget this, I have just found out that the store owner doesn't receive emails regardless of payment method, off to try to find out why.

I do have a problem which I am hoping can be answered here though. Since I installed the IPN contribution my other payment types have stopped working. The customer gets an email with a zero order number and the order is not stored in the DB.

I am using direct bank transfer and cheque payment modules.

Any ideas?

Ian

Edited by digicammad

I do have a problem which I am hoping can be answered here though. Since I installed the IPN contribution my other payment types have stopped working. The customer gets an email with a zero order number and the order is not stored in the DB.

I am using direct bank transfer and cheque payment modules.

Any ideas?

Ian

I must have messed up the checkout routine somehow, copied the original files back over and order confirmations are now being sent out. So you can ignore this post.

Thank you to the developers of- and contributers to- this awesome paymnet module.

My question is the following:

I want to send my customers to a Paypal page in another language than the Language selected in OScommerce. The language of my Oscommerce is Dutch ($language_id=4) and I want them to make their payments on a German version of Paypal. Can this be hardcoded in Paypal_IPN? And if yes, where can this be done?

The reason why I want to proces this way lies in the fact that we made our own translation of the OScommerce from Dutch to German and left the admin section in Dutch. OScommerce still handles the languagepack as being Dutch. So this is te reason for my request of a workaround.

Any help is highly appreciated! :thumbsup: