• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

I'm so sorry, I'm a complete idiot about installing things and I need help :-)

The instructions say: "Copy the files in the directory structure set in the contribution download file to your osCommerce installation directory inc. the new /ext/ folder. "

So, I downloaded the PayPal IPN and it has 3 folders, 2 txt files, and an HTML file. Two folders, 2txt files and the HTML file all appear to be help files. I've read through them. Still confused though. :) Anyway.

I think from the instructions, which seem vague to me(!!) that we put the main workable folder in the main directory structure of our store. So I copied the install directory "catalog" and put it into the main directory structure. Is that right?? Do I need to put the help files in the main FTP section as well? Is catalog the only folder that goes in?

Because step 2 is "Make any changes you need to the language level files." - I have no idea how or if I need that. So I skipped that part.

Step 3 is "Go to the Administration Tool->Modules->Payment section at your osCommerce Administration Tool."

Ok, I'm in Admin and go to Tools. But Modules is not in Tools... which as I'm writing this, it seems to say the "Module" tool. But since there is a Tools section in Admin, maybe you can modify that instruction for idiots like me :-) Anyway, in the Payment section it has all these options:

Modules Sort Order Action

Authorize.net

Credit Card

Cash on Delivery 0

iPayment

Check/Money Order

NOCHEX

PayPal 0

2CheckOut

PSiGate

SECPay

Module Directory: /home/springm2/public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/

How do I install the PayPal IPN module? Do I need to go and copy the catalog folder (in the contribution download I did) in the "public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/" folder as well? Or does it go in just one spot?

Please help? :) Thanks so much!

I just tried adding the folder 'catalog' from the compenent PayPal IPN to the "public_html/store/includes/modules/payment/" folder and I still do not see anything activated in the Admin --> Modules --> Payment section.

Anyone have advice on where this component needs to be copied and pasted to? Why isn't it working for me? :) Where does it go? Hewp me!

Hi AlexStudio,

Just had two questions and I'm hoping you may have the answers I need...

1) I'm using the standard version of PayPal IPN that comes with RC1 since I can't get the newer versions to work on my site. However, I've made changes to my paypal_ipn file so that the address is prepopulated, etc. Although now the tax and order totals show up correctly if I select Per Item, I wanted to know if there is a way for PayPal IPN to pass the discount coupon information to PayPal as well so this will show up when I'm using itemized. I'm using the discount coupon codes contribution.

2) For some reason the order totals don't show up in the email confirmation that is sent to the customer...I've had this problem since day 1. They show up fine usually (if using checkout_process) but when I use PayPal they don't. This is what I have in paypal_ipn:

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($order_totals); $i<$n; $i++) {
$email_order .= strip_tags($order_totals[$i]['title']) . ' ' . strip_tags($order_totals[$i]['text']) . "\n";
}

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for the time you put into this contribution.

tamaatim

hello

Sorry for my english i am french -

i installed "osCommerce_PayPal_IPN_v2.3.2_1" with "qtpro4.3"

my trouble is

PayPal_IPN_v2.3.2_1 doesn't update attribute quantity after order

do you know the solution or do you have a solution on forum because i search but without success

thancks a lot

Hi,

I have Paypal IPN version2.3 installed (downloaded Oct 10th)

My store seemed to be working fine until yesterday when two different people placed orders within 10 mins of each other and the system put one customer name/details on both orders.

Customer A placed an order - the preparing IPN shows 12:54 and went to pending at 12:58

Customer B shows preparing IPN at 13:05 and went to pending at 13:07. Customer Bs details is showing on both of these orders . The problem only came to light when ackowledgement was sent to customer B with the order details of customer A.

Everything else about the orders looks fine - they even have their own order ids correctly. Fortunately disaster was averted because we had customer A's detail from paypal.

My question is though - is this a limitation of the module - can it only handle one person browsing/ordering at the same time (althought the orders dont seem to cross timeframes I expect that the customers may have been adding to cart/updating prior to the times shown)

THanks in advance.

Liz

Your problem looked similar to the one described in post #3173 and #3175 on Nov 25 2007.

You both seemed to have some problem with sessions, and customers arrived at the same time are sharing the same sessions data. Please make sure your sessions settings are properly setup.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. I am storing the sessions in the database. I think they are setup correctly as its done automatically by my hosting people (they have a install oscommerce function which sets most things up for me). I have looked in the database and there are plenty of entries for the store.

Im not sure where to go from here - should i put it down to a one off 'blip' or is there something else i can check?

Thanks

Liz

PS - in the admin panel everything within sessions is set to false. Do i need to make any changes here?

Edited by Lizzy_b100

PS - in the admin panel everything within sessions is set to false. Do i need to make any changes here?
That would be the problem. Please refer to the osCommerce knowledge base regarding sessions settings.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi Alex,

Thanks again for your help. I feel very fortunate to have the person who wrote the contribution helping me out!

I have found the knowledge base - i believe this is the correct link:

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/G..._and_Tricks/168

I hope you'll just help with a couple of questions here (esp as the info is dated 2005) - it does start by saying 'It is recommended that this is set to a directory inside your home folder'. I dont really want to go changing from database stored to directory stored unless really necessary (im not very technical - could give it a go but would rather not if it doesnt matter!)

Again due to my nontechnical nature the rest of the info doesnt make it immediately apparent what i should set to true. Although the last item 'Regenerate Session ID' does refer to stopping customers logging into each others sessions. Would it be correct for me to set this one to true to fix my problem?

Once again - thanks for your time on this.

Liz

I would suggest to turn on 'Check User Agent' and 'Recreate Session'. Since your have a 'modified' version of osCommerce provided by your host, you can also ask them for help regarding session problems.

BTW, the order id are stored in $_SESSION superglobal variable. PHP > 4.1.0 is required for this.

Edited by AlexStudio

It's not about where you store the session data but the session function itself.

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my shipping is not getting sent to PayPal. I have lost a couple orders from customers backing out when I have to contact them regarding shipping charges. (Along the lines of "It's not MY fault your cart didn't charge shipping. Forget the whole thing.") I really need to get this running correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Have a great day!

Heather

I have having a similar to everyone else.

I am unable to get the status of my orders to update, and my inventory does not update either...

curl

CURL support enabled

CURL Information libcurl/7.10.6 OpenSSL/0.9.7a ipv6 zlib/1.2.3

register_globals On On

paypal IPN is on in paypal

and url is http://www.MYSITE.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

When I run http://www.MYSITE.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

in a browser, the page source comes back blank

My invalid process emails from paypal only display

"""""""""""""""""""""""""

$_POST:

$_GET:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Settings for the module are

ayPal IPN v2.3.3

Enable PayPal IPN Module
True

Gateway Server
Testing

E-Mail Address
[email protected]

Sort order of display.

Transaction Currency
Only USD

Payment Zone
--none--

Set Preparing Order Status
Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set PayPal Completed Order Status
Processing

Transaction Type
Aggregate

Move tax to total amount
True

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address
[email protected]

cURL Proxy server
http://proxy.shr.secureserver.net:3128

Enable Encrypted Web Payments
False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location
/usr/bin/openssl

anyone help?

Edited by tpwalker1980

tpwalker1980, I'm having the exact same problem. I've been trying to find a solution for the last couple of days. I'm honestly starting to think this version just isn't for everybody. Either it works for you or it doesn't. The problem we are experiencing is referenced in this thread at least 20 times and I have yet to find a definitive answer beyond the IPN Troubleshooting section in the documentation. It's very frustrating. I've worked with my host all day today to ensure that everything was kosher on their end, which it is. And now they are saying I should contact Paypal which is always an unpleasant experience. There has to be a commonality in the problem we are experiencing simply b/c of the amount of times it occurs. I hope we can figure this out. Anything I find out I will post to the the forum. Good luck.

tpwalker1980, I'm having the exact same problem. I've been trying to find a solution for the last couple of days. I'm honestly starting to think this version just isn't for everybody. Either it works for you or it doesn't. The problem we are experiencing is referenced in this thread at least 20 times and I have yet to find a definitive answer beyond the IPN Troubleshooting section in the documentation. It's very frustrating. I've worked with my host all day today to ensure that everything was kosher on their end, which it is. And now they are saying I should contact Paypal which is always an unpleasant experience. There has to be a commonality in the problem we are experiencing simply b/c of the amount of times it occurs. I hope we can figure this out. Anything I find out I will post to the the forum. Good luck.

I should also mention I am using godaddy as a provider and cURL

GoDaddy and PayPal IPN seem to have some difficulty to work together. The latest ipn.php works for some GoDaddy users, but apparently not all. Different hosting packages have different servers and setups, and only their staffs can tell the differences.

No idea why my ipn.php is coming back blank then?

I also verified the entire ext folder is 755

and that the ipn.php file itself is 644.

when

http://www.MYSITE/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php is ran in a browser, the page is blank as expected.

yet when I view source it is blank....

is that normal?

Again the Paypal IPN invalid process email just returns

$_POST:

$_GET:

as if its not getting any data or receiving any data.

Any ideas where to look for a problem?

Anyone had a similar problem with IPN paypal and godaddy using cURL?

when

http://www.MYSITE/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php is ran in a browser, the page is blank as expected.

yet when I view source it is blank....

is that normal?

YES

Sorry for all the posts... but i'm hoping that it will lead to a fix..

After some more testing I've found that when orders are sent to paypal, they get them as expected.

The order shows up in my store as Preparing [PayPal IPN]

No stock is changed

and I receive NO PayPal IPN Invalid Process email...

All the PayPal IPN Invalid Process emails I have recieved have been from me manually opening the ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

That leads me to believe that paypal isn't hitting the ipn.php file at all correct?

But I even have it turned on within the paypal profile

Instant Payment Notification (IPN) On

Instant Payment Notification (IPN) URL: http://www.MYSITE.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

*edit

I have edited the ipn.php file to increase the time to 120 from 30. no change though.

Edited by tpwalker1980

Is your osCommerce installed in your http root?

root of the domain, yes.

Root of my host account no. As I host multiple sites within the 1 account

so for instance.

www.mymainsite.com is my default site... located in the root... with some generic advertising.

soo /home/content/#/#/#/#######/html/

www.mystoresite.com is in a folder inside of the root

/home/content/#/#/#/#######/html/STORENAME/

you can also reach it by

www.mymainsite.com/STORENAME/ but this is not an advertised link

www.gamingsite.com is in another folder inside of the root

/home/content/#/#/#/#######/html/GAMINGSITENAME/

Edited by tpwalker1980

that could be the problem, regarding redirecting. if you can access your ipn.php by the url www.mymainsite.com/STORENAME/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php then try to hard code this with the parameter 'notify_url' in the paypal_ipn.php, located in STORENAME/includes/modules/payments folder.

Still a no go.

I updated the notify url link in the paypal_ipn.php to www.mymainsite.com/STORENAME/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

as well as in paypal's settings.

I placed 2 orders, paypal recieved the order. But the website never processed the update.

I also tried hardcoding it to

www.mystoresite.com/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

just to clarify to make sure I did it correctly

THIS
 $parameters['notify_url'] = tep_href_link('ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php', 'language=' . $_SESSION['language'], 'SSL', false, false);
CHANGED TO
 $parameters['notify_url'] = 'www.mymainsite.com/STORENAME/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php';

Another question:

Do I need to set the Working Directory in the admin section of the payment module?

Right now it is blank. Or is it only used for encrypted webpayments?

The Working Directory is only used for encrypted webpayments.

If server error log is available, you can add debug code to ipn.php at the very top of the script, so you can find out if PayPal is able to access it or not. There are some instructions in this thread posted by Terra regarding the ipn.php debug code.