• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official PayPal IPN Support Thread

Mark Evans

Is there a possibilty to support personal paypal accounts aswell.

Our business is just a starting one and i dont want to pay 3,4 % to paypal just yet ..so i only want to allow paypal to paypal payments using a personal account.

I searched the web but cant find anything that supports my way of using paypal?

any help is appreciated !

dr_dre

The default paypal module installed with osC2.2RC1 will support personal PayPal accounts BUT your payments are subject to restrictions from PayPal. Any of the IPN solutions require a premier or business PayPal account due to the higher daily receiving limits and extended funding options available to buyers (PayPal's rules).

See PayPal page - https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...ntTypes-outside

Also, if you check the PayPal fees table here - https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...op-fees-outside

you will see that receiving funds that are already in a buyers paypal account (via a receiving personal account) is fee-free, but you still pay regular fees for all other payment types. Additionally there is a ceiling on the total payments received before PayPal INSIST you upgrade to a premier or business account - it is quite low too - somewhere around $200 total receipts (from memory so might be a little different now - I went through it many years ago).

My experience is that when people buy from websites, they prefer to use their debit/credit card via PayPal because of the extra layer of payment protection they get from the card company. Therefore you will always pay the highest rate of PayPal fees if using a personal account.

By not upgrading your PayPal account to a premier or business account, you would be shooting yourself in the foot, as not only would you lose the earlier transactions eligibility for the transaction-volume fees discount, but you'd also be restricting your acceptable payment volume, and lining yourself up for problems later when your total funds received hits the PayPal anti-money-laundering ceiling.

It's better to get everything cleared and verified early. (Verifying your PayPal account and address also gives the buyers an extra layer of confidence in you as a trader). That way your account won't hit restrictions just when your sales volume goes into a steep growth curve.

Gaz

Edited by totalnumpty

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

Mandi #3001

Believe me - I have spent months trying to get CCGV(Trad) working with post-v1.4 IPNs, including pushing the original contrib-maintainers (Terra and vger) hard for relevant patches. The upshot is that it ain't gonna happen - if you see AlexStudio's reply to me one page back in this thread, you'll see the basic issue - and it's a major security loophole that could potentially cost you a lot of money or heartache or unnecesary work in the future.

If you absolutely MUST have CCGV you need to use IPN 1.2 - 1.4 versions. The architecture and operating method of v2.0+ is completely different to the 1.x versions - bit like trying to put aviation jet fuel in a diesel tractor.

Terra & Vger have both stated regularly (on this site and their own site) that they refuse to continue development of CCGV(Trad) or IPN for osC-RC1 because it RC1 is not final code. They also refuse to develop IPN 2.x to work with CCGV(Trad) until RC1 is upgraded to a MS version or osC-3.x is released in final version.

In the meantime, we're all stuck with a glitchy IPN that AlexStudio has thankfully taken up the reins on.

CCGV was (I thought) mission-critical to one major project I'm working on. Having accepted it ain't gonna happen with IPN in place (receiving payments correctly is far more important) I'm now looking for alternatives and have adjusted the "must-haves" requirements for the project. I'd recommend you do too.

Gaz

Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

thanks Gaz, appreciate the response. and I do understand the issue - I am sure there is a way though and that eventually one of the other contribution will have an answer - they are both really good contri's

I actually have a module that i made up I called Offline Paypal, which works similar to the online banking/bank transfer.

I may go back to using that option if a person uses a voucher. but then I may also strip out 2.3 and put in 1.4.

Is there any really bad bugs with using 1.4 rather than 2.x

all i really want to be able to do is offer my mailing list subscribers (who are not necessarily registered with my shop) an incentive to come an buy by means of a discount coupon, i just couldnt find another contribution to do the job as properly as CCGV(trad) does.

Edited by mbuswell

Is there any really bad bugs with using 1.4 rather than 2.x
There is always a problem in all paypal modules using PayPal standard button code, if customers don't return to store the checkout process will be broken. Even in v2.3.2 the problem still exists because post v2.x versions rely on the IPN call to finish checkout process, but the IPN call is not so reliable. The problem can only be worse reverting to v1.x. Although stated in the CCGV(TRAD) document about modifying PayPal IPN v1.4 to work with it, the problem doesn't go away. The PayPal WPP Direct Paymnets & Express Checkout contribution v0.9.2 by Brian Burton (dynamoeffects) is supporting CCGV. I'm working on my other PayPal module for the next update release, which will support CCGV as well. These contributions using PayPal SOAP API don't have the problem regarding customers not returning to store, so they are better choices to work with CCGV. Edited by AlexStudio

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

I'm working on my other PayPal module for the next update release, which will support CCGV as well. These contributions using PayPal SOAP API don't have the problem regarding customers not returning to store, so they are better choices to work with CCGV.

Alex,

Do you have a forecast for when your new CCGV-supporting PayPal module will be ready?

Will it be supporting CCGV(Trad) or CCGV 5.x ?

It would help me a lot in planning the next work-path for the project these contribs have been affecting

Cheers

Gaz

Actually I already have a working version of my other PayPal module which has been tested with the latest CCGV(trad), but it is not compliant with the new PayPal regulation. I need to find some time to fix it and clean up the code. If you would like to beta test the new code, PM me and I'll send you a copy for testing. Edited by AlexStudio

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Bug fix - osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v2.3.2 For 2.2MS2

Problem - In v2.3.2 if set 'Display Prices with Tax' to true in admin under configuration->My Store and set 'Transaction Type' to 'Per Item' in PayPal IPN module settings, the shipping tax would be added a second time and caused the total amount sent to PayPal to be larger.

How to fix - find in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php (v2.3.2) around line 412:

if ($tax_total > $item_tax) {

Replace with:

if ($tax_total > $item_tax && DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX != 'true') {

That's it.

Thats fix works fine: no more double tax of shipping costs (I have line 421 on paypal_ipn.php)!

Another question:

Why paypal form filled with Shipping Address data (name, address), why not Billing Address? If customer have order to delivery to another address than billing, and try to change address in paypal, than got error:

The merchant has requested a specific address. You may not use a different address

Second, on paypal completed payment page is "Your order is being shipped to" billing adress same as above.

Maybe there is ansver on my question.

But why need billing address in store? Do paypal need customer billing address declared for card issued bank for card autorization? OR delivery address for shipment verifing?

I remember on some internet purchases (not paypal) on card paying forms requirement fill address from card issued bank (I think to prove identity additionaly).

Kestas

There is only one set of address allowed in the button code, either the shipping address or the billing address, not both. We need to send the shipping address if there is shipping, it's required by PayPal for the seller protection policy. But the same address is also used to pre-populate the form, we don't actually have any choice here. There for we send the billing address when there is no shipping required, and have a better chance to fill the form correctly. PayPal made the rules and we have to follow. Edited by AlexStudio

Actually I already have a working version of my other PayPal module which has been tested with the latest CCGV(trad), but it is not compliant with the new PayPal regulation. I need to find some time to fix it and clean up the code. If you would like to beta test the new code, PM me and I'll send you a copy for testing.

Hi Alex

Just replied in the other thread http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...d=1154883

Gaz

Alex - just installed the latest version to try and cure my zero shipping problem I've been having recently.

Not sure if it works yet - need to wait for a customer to try it but when I tried it on my own account it passed the amount over correctly.

Many thanks for your time in sorting out these problems.

I just downloaded the newest Paypal IPN contribution and I don't quite get the instructions this could be due to very little sleep but how many php files due you install? I know one goes in includes>languages>english>modules>payment and one goes in modules>payment> but it shows a third which says it goes in EXT.modules>payment I don't have a EXT.

any help would be great thanks

Hi, all

Can someone help me?

When I installed the mod, everything worked just fine.

Then something happened and PayPal is no longer shows up in the list of available payment methods.

I did not change anything and my "backup" server at home seem to work fine.

I checked if PayPal IPN module is installed and it is. Then I tried to change the sort order and more weird things started to happen.

I only accept Credit Cards and PayPal. Credit Card method is at sort order 0. Setting PayPal IPN to any number does not help and setting it to 1 causes Credit Card method to disappear.

I have a feeling that it is something to do with hosting environment. It is running PHP 5.2.1.

I have tried to uninstall and install the module through Admin control panel.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rudolf

Hats From Oz

Newbie here...

Quite overwhelmed by the amount of information about paypal IPN

and Oscommerce that I have no clue where to begin.

These basics might give an idea:

-I have a premier account with paypal

-Recently installed Oscommerce 2.2 MS2

-Enabled Paypal (no IPN) in the payment options; No other option set.

-No SSL (new site getting set up on shared host)

-No buysafe (new site, buysafe needs 3 months)

-All pages are on unsecured mode.

When I checkout the page gets transferred to paypal into the secured mode.

I see that payment at paypal is possible. Did not attempt to complete

any payment since I can see that it will go through.

From what I read in the net and these threads I realize that

the "return to merchant" option is not enabled by paypal since paypal

does not return to an unsecured page. (I may be wrong in this reasoning,

but whatever be the reason paypal does not return back to merchant's

"checkout success", which results in the order process not updating,

leading to serious complications).

Installation of paypal's IPN seem to require an SSL or (cURL or some such

thing). Is it so?

Not sure which way to go from here. What is the quickest way to fix this

through coding means?

Kindly I assume I am a dummy and explain, including any step-by-step

instructions. Thank you!

Newbie here...

Quite overwhelmed by the amount of information about paypal IPN

and Oscommerce that I have no clue where to begin.

These basics might give an idea:

-I have a premier account with paypal

-Recently installed Oscommerce 2.2 MS2

-Enabled Paypal (no IPN) in the payment options; No other option set.

-No SSL (new site getting set up on shared host)

-No buysafe (new site, buysafe needs 3 months)

-All pages are on unsecured mode.

When I checkout the page gets transferred to paypal into the secured mode.

I see that payment at paypal is possible. Did not attempt to complete

any payment since I can see that it will go through.

From what I read in the net and these threads I realize that

the "return to merchant" option is not enabled by paypal since paypal

does not return to an unsecured page. (I may be wrong in this reasoning,

but whatever be the reason paypal does not return back to merchant's

"checkout success", which results in the order process not updating,

leading to serious complications).

Installation of paypal's IPN seem to require an SSL or (cURL or some such

thing). Is it so?

Not sure which way to go from here. What is the quickest way to fix this

through coding means?

Kindly I assume I am a dummy and explain, including any step-by-step

instructions. Thank you!

You don't need to have SSL - I don't and check with your hosting provider about cURL they should be able to tell you that it is installed.

I found this paypal module very easy to install and get working. So do give it a try.

OK,

What module is best out of the PayPal Express or PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) and can they be used/installed together on the same shop ? ;)

hmmm id like to know this too...

also, is there a way to integrate PayPal with your own website so customers dont have to go to PayPal.com without using Website Payments Pro?

Hi there... I'm a dummy, first install of IPN on my osc web site.

I installed everything, loaded and enabled ipn, and tuned the various parameters for my business paypal account (no ssl, no curl).

Then, I tried to order a test product with a customer account. The order seemed to be instantly completed for the customer point of view (including email for order confirmation).

Although, on the admin back end, there is no order left in the system for this test customer

Furthermore, BOX_CUSTOMERS_PAYPAL displays this:

1146 - Table 'ocm_mydomainname_c.paypal' doesn't exist

select count(*) as total from paypal as p

I just have no clue what that is, except that it seems to relate to the sql database...

I am wondering: is the installation of the standard paypal.php a pre-requisit to the usage of ipn??

hey,

when I view an orders status in the comments box, it says this:

PayPal IPN Verified [Pending (Unverified; <span class=currency_symbol></span>262.54<span class=currency_symbol>EUR</span>); multi_currency]

How can I remove "Unverified; <span class=currency_symbol></span>" and "<span class=currency_symbol></span>" it doesnt look good to my customers!

I realize this forum says it's for OSC v2.x. I have a customer that I inherited that is running OSC v1.280 (according to includes/application_top.php). The payap_ipn.php shows version 1.1.2.11.

My client started having a problem a couple of weeks ago where paypal no longer showed the shipping amounts being passed through. They show up in OSC, but when you confirm order and it goes to paypal, only the item totals are there, shipping amount isn't showing up at all.

Is there a recommended fix for this given the version of OSC and paypal_ipn that is in use?

Did this suddenly start occurring due to a change at Paypal?

Thanks in advance for any information/assistance that can be provided.

- John

Hey,

Could someone tell me where the text "Credit/Debit Card (via PayPal)" is located I would like to change it. It appears on the payment page when customers are checking out and on the invoice and packingslip forms in the admin section.

Thanks,

Ben

Hey,

Could someone tell me where the text "Credit/Debit Card (via PayPal)" is located I would like to change it. It appears on the payment page when customers are checking out and on the invoice and packingslip forms in the admin section.

Thanks,

Ben

I am not on my system to double check, but I believe that one is one of the configuration keys in the database rather than in a text file.

I have used it before to install certain contribs and I know I could probably manage to edit what needs to be edited if you could give me some step-by-step instructions

thanks,

Ben

Edited by Benjjj6