• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best localhost server?

ridesign

On an XP box Easy PHP installed really easily, and worked without a hitch. The current XAMPP uses PHP 5, which has (maybe) issues with OSC, whilst the current (1.8) easy PHP uses PHP 4.... which doesn't have issues.

Until a definitive FAQ is produced for OSC and PHP5 I'd stick with Easy PHP.

I'd recommend XAMPP. Yes, it comes with php5, but it also comes with php4, and you can switch between the two. You also get Open SSL, Mercury Mail, FileZilla, Apache, MySQL, phpMyAdmin etc. The great thing about it is that it's so easy to install but has all of the features of a production web server.

Vger

absolutely not xampp for me and definintely easyphp with it's easy setup of apache mysql phpmyadmin etc.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

I don't want to have an argument here, as the poster is just asking which is the best localhost server- but what's so hard about XAMPP? You download it, and click to install it. You don't need to input any settings during the install, and at the end of it you can go to http://localhost and input a password for phpMyAdmin access (so that it's password protected). If you want to switch from 5 to 4 you just click on the switch_bat link in XAMPP admin. It doesn't get much easier than that.

If the poster wants a lightweight and very fast localhost server then I still wouldn't recommend EasyPHP but recommend Xitami. You just have to remember it's not an all-in-one install, and you have to install Xitami first and install all of the other elements later.

Vger

I don't want to have an argument here, as the poster is just asking which is the best localhost server- but what's so hard about XAMPP? You download it, and click to install it. You don't need to input any settings during the install, and at the end of it you can go to http://localhost and input a password for phpMyAdmin access (so that it's password protected). If you want to switch from 5 to 4 you just click on the switch_bat link in XAMPP admin. It doesn't get much easier than that.

If the poster wants a lightweight and very fast localhost server then I still wouldn't recommend EasyPHP but recommend Xitami. You just have to remember it's not an all-in-one install, and you have to install Xitami first and install all of the other elements later.

Vger

I use phpDev423. You can get it here: http://www.firepages.com.au/

It been a while since I installed it. The 1 download came with the mysql, php & apache services. It give simple step by step instruction for installation of php & apache.

Before phpDev I used a YellowTip web server. Didn't like it that much.

You can use abyss as well, No frills, I think that you may still have to install PHP manualy ( Not hard) NO SSL, not much there but its light on the system and pretty good. if your looking for a standard server its very good.

I like xampp apart from the overriding of the localhost 'homepage' though of course I could tinker with that if I could be bothered ;) I couldn't get past a weird error where the default language didn't work properly when using phpdev.

thanks for all your replies.

When I use easyphp, with other scripts I get errors such as:

[Fri Oct 07 18:01:13 2005] [error] PHP Notice: Undefined index: Action in c:\\program files\\easyphp1-8\\www\\newscript\\body.php on line 201

[Fri Oct 07 18:01:13 2005] [error] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: aff in c:\\program files\\easyphp1-8\\www\\newscript\\body.php on line 253

can anyone shed any light?

thanks

I installed xampp,

and when i use it with a script i get these errors:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\xampp\skkk1\dailyroutine.php on line 12

line 12 is:

if(mysql_num_rows($pay_ret)>0)

thanks

Archived