• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't Get Install Screen Up

n2advnture

I just unzipped OS Commerece and uploaded the "catalog" folder to my host via ftp (http://www.mydomain/catalog now exists).

I changed both the includes/config.php and admin/includes/config.php to 777 and verified that all folders were set to 755.

When I open IE and go to http://www.mydomain.com/catalog/install/install.php the install process does not start.

Here's what I get:

Not Found

The requested URL /catalog/install was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.mydomain.com Port 80

My host is using PHP Version 4.4.0

How do I get the process to actually start running?

Thanks in advance!

~Mark

I just unzipped OS Commerece and uploaded the "catalog" folder to my host via ftp (http://www.mydomain/catalog now exists).

I changed both the includes/config.php and admin/includes/config.php to 777 and verified that all folders were set to 755.

When I open IE and go to http://www.mydomain.com/catalog/install/install.php the install process does not start.

Here's what I get:

My host is using PHP Version 4.4.0

How do I get the process to actually start running?

Thanks in advance!

~Mark

<_< Hmm. Isn't www.mydomain.com already taken? Joking aside, when you FTP to your site, you see your list of directories, 'Catalog' is one of them? When you open 'Catalog', you see the directory 'Install'? Within the directory 'Install', you see the file install.php? If so, can you upload a simple file such as hello.html to the install directory and then point your browser to it to test?

<_< Hmm. Isn't www.mydomain.com already taken? Joking aside, when you FTP to your site, you see your list of directories, 'Catalog' is one of them? When you open 'Catalog', you see the directory 'Install'? Within the directory 'Install', you see the file install.php? If so, can you upload a simple file such as hello.html to the install directory and then point your browser to it to test?

LOL!

Yes, when I go to ftp://ftp.XYZ.com/catalog/install/install.php - the file appears.

I am not sure what you mean by pointing a test hello.html to the install dir.

Thanks for the help!

~M

I think he means just test html file that displays the word hello.

Then see if you can browse to that file.

Thanks.

When I create the html file, it displays fine locally but when I upload it and double click on it in FTP, nothing in the doc displays. If I double click on the install.php file, the code displays fine.

Not sure what that means though.

It's my guess that you uploaded the 'catalog' folder alright - but not to the root of your web. You probably loaded it up to somewhere outside of the htdocs or html or public_html folder (the root folder is named differently on different servers).

Vger

So, if you upload the test file using FTP to the install directory, you should be able to open your browser and go to your website:

www.yoursecretsite.com/catalog/install/hello.html

you should see the contents of hello.html. If you do, then at least you know you have the correct path. If page cannot be displayed then your path is not correct. Follow me?

Vger is stating what I am attempting to confirm. It's not actually where you think it is. Why don't you post the URL to your site, that may be useful.

Also, when you first login via FTP, it may be useful to list the available directories here.

Fuzzy at best. So, if you upload the test file using FTP to the install directory, you should be able to open your browser and go to your website:

www.yoursecretsite.com/catalog/install/hello.html

you should see the contents of hello.html. If you do, then at least you know you have the correct path. If page cannot be displayed then your path is not correct. Follow me?

Yes, that makes complete sense to me but not sure why it doesn't work.

http://www.XYZ.com/catalog/install/hello.html

comes up with the same 404 file not found error.

hhhmm...

Because you were not in the root web directory when you added the subdir /catalog. See my modified post above.

Ok, I relocated the "catalog" to the "public_html" folder and was able to see the "hello.html" that I created in Firefox but not IE.

Tried to go to the www.mydomain.com/catalog/install/install.php

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.mydomain.com Port 80

Thanks again, you guys rock!

~Mark

Is the .htaccess file in your includes directory?

Yes.

Persmissions on the .htaccess file are 644

# $Id: .htaccess,v 1.4 2001/04/22 20:30:03 dwatkins Exp $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

# The following blocks direct HTTP requests in this directory recursively

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Limit' to the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

#

# AllowOverride Limit

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in your apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

#

# This does not affect PHP include/require functions

#

# Example: http://server/catalog/includes/application_top.php will not work

Order Deny,Allow

Deny from all

Does your host meet all of the necessary requirements? MySQL and PHP installed? Save the next line as a file on your site as phpinfo.php

<php phpinfo(); ?>

then run it and see what all you get

Here are the specs:

Operating system Linux

Linux kernel version 2.6.9-11.ELsmp

Apache version 1.3.33 (Unix)

Perl version 5.8.7 (more info)

PHP version PHP/4.4.0 (more info)

MySQL version 4.0.25-standard

What dir should I save the phpinfo.php file in before running it? (I saved it in the "public_html" folder then ran it and it came up blank).

Thanks again,

Mark

Many hosts will throw this error with files set w/permission @ 777. Change those files (not just folders) which you changed, back.

Alrighy...I am getting so close I can taste it! LOL!

Now I get the register_globals error. I download the patch but I am not sure where to put the unzipped files.

Do they all go in the "catalog" folder?

Thanks again!

~Mark

The Register Globals Patch Files are all listed in their correct folders in the download. All you need to do is to upload them to the same place.

I know this for a fact - because I put the patch files together :D

Vger

The Register Globals Patch Files are all listed in their correct folders in the download. All you need to do is to upload them to the same place.

I know this for a fact - because I put the patch files together :D

Vger

Thanks Rhea,

When I open the zip, it just lists all the patch files but not where to place them. (ie which folders) Is there a list that displays the correct folders?

Also, where is the php.ini file located? I can't find it.

Thanks again,

Mark

They are packaged to go to the correct place is what Vger is telling you. Unzip locally, it makes a folder named catalog. Inside catalog, there are a couple files and more folders. Each folder corresponds with the folders of the store. Put each on your site according to the extract. Catalog -> Catalog, catalog\includes->catalog\includes etc. Upload the files and try it.

They are packaged to go to the correct place is what Vger is telling you. Unzip locally, it makes a folder named catalog. Inside catalog, there are a couple files and more folders. Each folder corresponds with the folders of the store. Put each on your site according to the extract. Catalog -> Catalog, catalog\includes->catalog\includes etc. Upload the files and try it.

Man, you guys are great!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Mark

Ok, the only files I wasn't sure where to put are:

\catalog\install\includes\application.php - because after the install, the install directory was removed per instrucitons.

contributions.txt

LICENSE

link_session_variable.txt

Are these necessary?

I am able to get into the OS Commerce Admin/Config panel!!! Woo-hoo!!!

Thanks again,

Mark

Archived