• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Two shipping modules, not standard

AllTheAbove

90% of my product is set-up as flat rate first item + additional each item after. Thing is, I have some items that are oversize or overweight and therefore require addition fees for shipping.

Do I need a seperate shipping module? If so, how would I implement it so that there isn't a choice at checkout, there is merely the charge. Preferably, it would show the line item at check-out like standard shipping then additional shipping for overweight/oversized item or something similar. That way the customer knows the additional shipping is/will be for only the heavy/large item.

I had considered adding the "Call for Pricing" module, however, most people want to conclude the transaction when they are on the site, not wait for a response then provide credit card info by other means.

Thanks in advance for your help

Lori

Only way I could think of would be add an "oversized shipping price" field to the products table. Then, you could modify the flat.php shipping module to check if that field is > 0, then use that amount instead of the standard per product price. That way, if you sell an elephant and a refrigerator to someone, you can have it setup so that the elephant's oversized price is higher than the refrigerator's oversized price.

Make sense?

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Only way I could think of would be add an "oversized shipping price" field to the products table. Then, you could modify the flat.php shipping module to check if that field is > 0, then use that amount instead of the standard per product price. That way, if you sell an elephant and a refrigerator to someone, you can have it setup so that the elephant's oversized price is higher than the refrigerator's oversized price.

Make sense?

Sorry, no, it doesn't make sense. What products table? Is that part of phpmyadmin or would that be like the "taxable goods" thing?

Basically, you would need to add the field to your products table so that there's a place to store what products are oversized and which aren't. Then, you'd need to edit categories.php in the admin section so that when you edit a product, there's an extra text box where you enter in the shipping amount for an oversized item. If you want it to ship at the normal flat rate, leave it blank. You'd also have to change the code where it saves the product information so that it updates the new "oversize" field in the database.

Finally, you'd need to modify your shipping module so that if the "oversized" field isn't empty, that it uses that amount for shipping instead of the standard per product price.

That's as simple as I can explain it without jumping into the code myself. An easier alternative would be to see if there's some sort of separate price per product shipping module that would do all that for you. You wouldn't be able to charge less for each additional item, but you'd be able to calculate shipping taking the oversized items into account.

Edited by dynamoeffects

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

• 5 weeks later...

On the products table, do I make the column type enum? I was thinking that the column would default null, meaning it is a "normal" product.

This is how I defined the table : name extra_ship; type enum; length/values 'Y'; collation and attributes are empty; Null; default and extra are empty.

Is this anywhere near correct?

Then I can add the field to categories.php to recognize that if a "Y" is typed there, to call the shipping module file.

Then, in the shipping module file, I can define that "Y" in field oversize = $30 or whichever price is determined.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the help!

Lori

Ok.. I've been trying to get this to work. I edited the database so that products_extra_ship is in the products table.

I edited categories.php under admin side and added products_extra_ship anywhere I saw products_weight. I really have no clue how to add an extra field. When I go to edit the product, there is no extra_ship field.

My categories.php is almost 2400 lines so I am remiss to post it here. I would happily send it to someone to look at if they have the desire to help me figure this out. I am not asking someone else to do the work, just looking for direction.

I have not attempted to edit the shipping module yet as I just want the field to show up in admin first.

One more question. Will I be able to use EP to populate that field?

Thanks for anyone who is trying to help

Lori