• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Database Corruption

ozEworks

We moved some sites to a new hosting that has clustered services for the site and shared servers for MYSQL. We have data integrity issues when transactions fail. We have personally noticed that when we get a Page cannot be Displayed (which we seem to get quite often) then data that was being updated can be:

1. lost completely

2. partially lost

3. okay.

But the worst thing that happened as someone a customer managed to create two accounts with the same email address on a live site.

How can a unique index be duplicated?

Host is not interested.

We moved some sites to a new hosting that has clustered services for the site and shared servers for MYSQL. We have data integrity issues when transactions fail. We have personally noticed that when we get a Page cannot be Displayed (which we seem to get quite often) then data that was being updated can be:

1. lost completely

2. partially lost

3. okay.

But the worst thing that happened as someone a customer managed to create two accounts with the same email address on a live site.

How can a unique index be duplicated?

Host is not interested.

Do you really have a unique index on customer email? My code checks for duplicate email addresses, but I have no unique index on customers_email_address on a stock OSC database. Still, code or database, duplicates should not be allowed.

If data being UPDATED is partially lost, this indicates to me a big problem with their servers, depending on exactly what types of queries you're running and what you mean by "partially lost." You'll need to give a detailed description of what's happening.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

with partial loss I would guess that the query is not executing in the amount of time allocated by php.ini for the server.

Change servers or host.

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Yes we do have a unique index on email address on the site I mentioned. It has also happened with other unique keys.

Partially lost means that some some data entered is there and some is not for the one record.

Complete means a record we were entering ic created but it is empty even though some fields are defined not null.

Steve, that sounds like closer to the problem. Our hosts is less than active about this problem and says they have *many* oscommerce sites and no-one has complained (except of course us who represent something like 10 sites there).

These guys have a clustered setup for the sites but a standard SQL server setup. The page problem must be coming from the cluster though - right? and its effecting the SQL server calls which is where the php.ini comes into play? Some of these are new databases with very little data...

I will go ask them about what you said (but we are moving anyway)

Archived