• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to add additional shipping zomes for zone based calculation?

Carpaltunnel

Ok, now I'm confused and don't know whats going wrong

The code for zone one is as follows

0.250:1.50,0.500:2.50,1.0:4.00,2.0:7.00,4.0:10.00

I did a test order for a product that has a weight of 0.25

the checkout gives the following

Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 3.25 Kgm(s) ?10.00

What's going wrong? Any ideas?

Annie

What's your setting with Admin->Configuration->Shipping/Packaging->Package Tare Weight ?

Make sure it is 0 if you don't want to add weight for boxes on beforehand. Also check the maximum package weight setting which should be as high as the maximum weight you may ship through your shipping provider. If you make it to low your packages will be divided upon that and you end up with shipping multiple boxes where it shouldn't

You genius!

Ok have set the package tare weight to 0

the checkout now comes up with the following for a product weighing .025

Postage and Package (by weight) : 0.275 Kgm(s) ?2.50

So we are getting there but theres still something wrong

Any ideas?

Annie

You genius!

Ok have set the package tare weight to 0

the checkout now comes up with the following for a product weighing .025

Postage and Package (by weight) : 0.275 Kgm(s) ?2.50

So we are getting there but theres still something wrong

Any ideas?

Annie

The quote is correct if it were 275 grams but if I look well your products weight is set to 25 grams ?!

I am not sure but I suspect it has to do with the weight field set to 2 decimals in the database. I hope you are a bit familiar with phpMyAdmin as you will have to go to change the field type for weight field in the product database. Default it is a decimal(5,2) and you should change that to a decimal(5,3) so it has 3 numbers available behind the comma.

Look in your host panel if you have a tool called phpMyAdmin available and fire that up. Choose your database table called products and you will see a whole list of field names on the right. There edit the field products_weight and change the field type to DECIMAL 5,3. Save the change and try again.

If it doesn't work you can always change it back to DECIMAL 5,2 afterwards, no harm done.

Howard

Hi Howard

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the input string

to

0.25:1.50,0.50:2.50,1.0:4.00,2.0:7.00,4.0:10.00

as the trailing zero is not really needed?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

EDIT : tried it and that didn't work so going into phpmyadmin

That didn't work either

ho hum!

Any other ideas or are you as puzzled as I am now?

Edited by Annieprice

Hi Howard

Wouldn't it be simpler just to change the input string

to

as the trailing zero is not really needed?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

EDIT : tried it and that didn't work so going into phpmyadmin

That didn't work either

ho hum!

Any other ideas or are you as puzzled as I am now?

The trailing zero isn't absolutely neccessary indeed but if you need weights like 25 grams you have to have 3 decimals available.

And I am a bit puzzled to as I don't see any relation between going from 0.025 to 0.275 and would expect 0.03.

You could try a little something for one or a few products to see if there is still something in between or it is still related to a rounding problem. If you give your products a weight like 25 for 25 grams and 1000 for 1 kilogram, adjust the shipping to that and see what happens. Try with two or products with a weight which keeps one or two underneath a range and three brings it above so you can see if the switch is going correctly.

Done as you suggested

Product at .23 (so 23grms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.25 Kgm(s)

so it added 2 grams!

product at .25 (so 25gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.28 Kgm(s)

so it added 3 grams!

product at .50 (50 gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.55 Kgm(s)

so it added 5 grams

Product at .75 (75 gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.83 Kgm(s)

so it added 8 grams

It seems to be adding a percentage somewhere? does it seem that way to you?

Any ideas?

Done as you suggested

Product at .23 (so 23grms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.25 Kgm(s)

so it added 2 grams!

product at .25 (so 25gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.28 Kgm(s)

so it added 3 grams!

product at .50 (50 gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.55 Kgm(s)

so it added 5 grams

Product at .75 (75 gms)

at checkout became Postage and Package (by weight) (1x 0.83 Kgm(s)

so it added 8 grams

It seems to be adding a percentage somewhere? does it seem that way to you?

Any ideas?

Annie,

Do you have some value set with admin->configuration->shipping/packaging->Larger packages-percentage increase ?

It's the only thing I can think of right now. If you have something else then 0 then it could be that otherwise try also with setting your product weight like 23 for 23 grams instead of .23 (and adjust your table to that of course).

It keeps you busy doesn't it :D

Howard

Howard you are a genius

Yes - that was it!

Dunno about keeping me busy - it's certainly been keeping me awake at night!

God Bless you for all your help

Annie

Howard you are a genius

Yes - that was it!

Dunno about keeping me busy - it's certainly been keeping me awake at night!

God Bless you for all your help

Annie

Good work Annie ! And for a good sleep tonight :thumbsup:

Howard

Hiya

We have just discovered that instead of adding together the weights of each product so that we can send them out in one parcel that the system is charging as a parcel for each product

Any ideas how to change this as we will be putting all items together in one parcel

Annie

Hiya

We have just discovered that instead of adding together the weights of each product so that we can send them out in one parcel that the system is charging as a parcel for each product

Any ideas how to change this as we will be putting all items together in one parcel

Annie

Hi Annie,

That depends on how large you defined your maximum package weight (admin->configuration->shipping/packaging). I have set mine to the maximum I am allowed to ship, 20 kilograms, and added a check if 1 product goes over that weight it can not be shipped because it can not be divided. That depends however on what you sell, if you products by itself can never weight more then the maximum allowed it will just be divided over x packages.

HTH

Howard

Hi Howard,

I have checked in configuration/shipping and it states that the maximum shipping weight is set to 50 - this was the default amount and so I left it at that. Surely this cover it?

I did a test and the items concerned were each 0.75kg - so surely the above should have just added up the product weights and given the postage for one parcel?

In fact our maximum shipping weight is 5kg (per parcel) so if I now reduce the maximum shipping weight to 5 surely that's going to make it even worse?

Help!

Annie

Edited by Annieprice

Hi Howard,

I have checked in configuration/shipping and it states that the maximum shipping weight is set to 50 - this was the default amount and so I left it at that. Surely this cover it?

I did a test and the items concerned were each 0.75kg - so surely the above should have just added up the product weights and given the postage for one parcel?

In fact our maximum shipping weight is 5kg (per parcel) so if I now reduce the maximum shipping weight to 5 surely that's going to make it even worse?

Help!

Annie

Can you show me your zones table and some samples of how you enter the product weight in your product descriptions ? If 5 kg. is your max. weight per package you should be able to set that without problem if the rest is calculating correctly. Strange it adds wrong as it seems.

Hiya Howard

Information requested

Zone 1 Shipping Table:-

I have just discovered two problems ...

The first is that when you enter a product as weighing 0.075 the system rounds down the weight to 0.07

The second is that I did a test purchse of one product weighing 3kg (that came up as ok in checkout) but when I added another product to the cart of 1kg. Instead of the cart now holding products weighing 4kg the cart states that the products weight 2kg

Brain fried !!

Hiya Howard

Information requested

I have just discovered two problems ...

The first is that when you enter a product as weighing 0.075 the system rounds down the weight to 0.07

That's what we discussed earlier, if you want three figures for decimal places you have to change according to post #28 from this thread

The second is that I did a test purchse of one product weighing 3kg (that came up as ok in checkout) but when I added another product to the cart of 1kg. Instead of the cart now holding products weighing 4kg the cart states that the products weight 2kg

Brain fried !!

It's counting down :lol: You're sure you don't have some spirits running around your site ?

I don't have an immediate answer to this one. Do you have some other/more customizations in your shop which could possibly influence your shipping ?

If you try the same for, ie. the table rate module, do you get the same weird output ?

cheers,

Howard

Hiya Howard

Don't know about spirits on site - I'll be heading for the bottled variety before I've finished with this!!

Fixed the first problem with MYSQL - thanks a lot

for the second problem I just have no idea

I installed table rate and used exactly the same table rate as for the standard shipping

0.25:1.50,0.50:2.50,1.0:4.00,2.0:7.00,3.0:10.00

It definately seems to be adding the weights in a wierd way.

I did another test ... I item wieghing 3kg and another weighing 0.070kg - should add up to 3.070kg but the shopping cart came up with. The true cost of shipping should have been ?11.50

Table Rate Best Way ?14.00

Standard Delivery

Postage and Package (by weight : 1.535 Kgm(s) ?14.00

I really have no idea what is happening .... might just head off and find those bottled spirits

:P

Hiya Howard

Don't know about spirits on site - I'll be heading for the bottled variety before I've finished with this!!

Fixed the first problem with MYSQL - thanks a lot

for the second problem I just have no idea

I installed table rate and used exactly the same table rate as for the standard shipping

0.25:1.50,0.50:2.50,1.0:4.00,2.0:7.00,3.0:10.00

It definately seems to be adding the weights in a wierd way.

I did another test ... I item wieghing 3kg and another weighing 0.070kg - should add up to 3.070kg but the shopping cart came up with. The true cost of shipping should have been ?11.50

I really have no idea what is happening .... might just head off and find those bottled spirits

:P

Well, I hope you are not to deep in the bottle yet :D You got some place to take a look at this ?

I have followed this thread with great interest and, off the back of my head as a total newbie, I have to ask... could a subtraction be taking place instead of an addition?

When Benjamin Franklin said "...in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes", little did he know that, before long, his successors would figure out a way to tax everyone to death...