• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL and Paypal IPN

I've installed the Paypal IPN into my OSC site and i'm trying to set up the SSL for encrypted payments. The ISP I'm using will supply a certificate but I don't think it's Open SSL - what do I do abou this field? Does the whole Paypal IPN depend upon using Open SSL? The install notes state that

Note: This feature requires a working OpenSSL installation on your server, with access rights to the "openssl" program file.

If I can't use the Paypal IPN without OpenSSL, is there a module that can use the certificate supplied by the ISP to establish encrypted payments,

I'd be grateful for any comments

Zeb

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't install it but OpenSSL is free much like OSc at:

http://www.openssl.org/

Thanks gwflash, but the problem is that the host I'm using for the site doesn't use OpenSSL. If it

was possible for me to set up OpenSSL on the server I would, but it isn't. The site host are only

interested in issuing the SSL certificate themselves (captive client and all that) so I have to figure

out if it will work without the OpenSSL bit, before I part with the cash for the certificate - If any one has

any answers to this problem I'd be really grateful

zebedee

Thanks gwflash, but the problem is that the host I'm using for the site doesn't use OpenSSL. If it

was possible for me to set up OpenSSL on the server I would, but it isn't. The site host are only

interested in issuing the SSL certificate themselves (captive client and all that) so I have to figure

out if it will work without the OpenSSL bit, before I part with the cash for the certificate - If any one has

any answers to this problem I'd be really grateful

zebedee

Just disable the encrypt function setting in Paypal IPN module, you still can set it up without data ecryption.

If you do want to use data encrytion with Paypal IPN, and you don't have a openSSL installed host, you can install the binary file yourself. Also you will need a pair of certificate/key at both your site and Paypal's profile, and you need to download Paypal's certificate to work with.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

thanks AlexStudio,

that's a tremendous help - I do want to use data encryption ( I think that

the Paypal account that lets you receive credit card payments requires it).

The site host can provide a certificate/key, so I think that part is ok. The only

thing that I'm not clear about (sorry to be so dim) is the binary file. Are you

saying that I can just put this file on my website? How would I do this? Do

I need to install OpenSSL on my own computer, generate a binary file and ftp this to where the site is hosted? This sounds great! What does this binary file do? Can I generate it without OpenSSL. Sorry to ask so many questions. Does anyone know any good sites or URLs that describe all of this.

Anyhow, many thanks Alex, you have moved the whole question on for me,

Zeb :-)

hi zeb,

Let me clarify something first. Does your host provide you SSL functionality (shared / dedicated), or SSL trusted certificates? That's totally different. SSL functionality provide your website with https security. SSL trusted certificates are usually for sites which need dedicated SSL function to encrypt data, and pretty expensive. So, which one do your host provide?

If you have https function with your website, then your server already has openssl installed. All you need to do is to ask for where the binary files are located. They are usually in /usr/bin/openssl

If your website doesn't have https ability, then you have to install openssl binary files yourself, on your server. Please check www.openssl.org for information about binary files. You will need shell access to install them.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi Alex,

many thanks for your help and interest in the problem.

Yes, my host does provide both SSL functionality and also

SSL certificates. I can buy a certificate from them which

is expensive, but I don't mind if it means I can accept

encrypted payments. However, they don't seem to have

the /usr/bin/openssl files. So my question is, will the

paypal IPN work without this field being filled, if I

buy a certificate, or is there some way that I can get

around this?

Again I would be grateful for any thoughts or guidance,

thanks

certainly not. The ipn modul does not have any openSSL function built-in, it needs to call them from the host, in the path you specified. If the openSSL binary files cannot be found, there will be some error as the result, and no data encryption is available.

Since your host provides SSL functionalities, how could there be no binary files installed on your server?

Edited by AlexStudio

certainly not. The ipn modul does not have any openSSL function built-in, it needs to call them from the host, in the path you specified. If the openSSL binary files cannot be found, there will be some error as the result, and no data encryption is available.

Since your host provides SSL functionalities, how could there be no binary files installed on your server?

Hi Alex,

once again, thanks for your help and advice.

I asked the Site Host about the binary file, with

the help of your messages, and they do indeed

have binary files installed on the server. So

that answers my question,

thanks