• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thumbnails Contrib: Which one works best?

peterpil19

Hi, I've tried Automatic Thumbnailer for oscommerece (the one that edits only html_output.php), only to find that some images come up fuzzy and upon refreshing, the fuzziness transfers to other pictures...

I've looked at the On the Fly contrib, only to find the most confusing instructions I have ever come accross in a contrib.

I tried

Automatic Thumbnail Creator v1.0 which edits around 4 files, to find that it didn't work at all (I tried it twice carefully).

Q: Is there a simple, thumbnailer contribution that is easy to install, and works?

Please let me know any of your recommendations! I really appreciate it.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

I've also tried PHP image resize, and it made absolutely no change in image size, I can't understand why???

I ended up installing On the Fly contrib, to find that my images became squashed. Apparently this contrib does not support images where either the height or width setting has been left blank in admin.

Anyone recommend a thumbnailer, or know how to get one working?

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library

--> tried it and it worked, problem solved.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Same one I am using I believe. Its the one that places a product_thumb.php into your /catalog/ directory, correct?

Works like a charm! I even took it as far as adding a code snippet to the install files so it will check to ensure the hosting account is compatible with this contribution. If not, it gives a message and tells me / someone else

"The automatic thumbnail generation system is not compatible with your hosting account, due to not having the GD library installed. To avoid errors, please replace

/includes/functions/html_output.php

with

/includes/functions/html_output.backup.php"

Gets the point across and reminds me on new installs if it will work or not :).

Sincerely,

Bruce

19 contributions submitted

I agree, it's a great contribution. I tried EVERY single thumbnailer contrib, and this is the only one I didn't have problems with. I had to stick to version 1.1, otherwise images go out of proportion.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

• 1 month later...
I ended up installing On the Fly contrib, to find that my images became squashed. Apparently this contrib does not support images where either the height or width setting has been left blank in admin.

--Peter

Did you get it to work with either width or height set to null (blank) in admin? I installed Automatic Thumbnail Creator a while back and I'm now having exactly that problem: I want to leave width blank to maintain proportions but ATC refuses to work when I try it :(

So I'm now considering replacing it with On The Fly, after having read this thread. However, I'm a bit worried about the comment you made on the accompanying instructions...

Your suggestions would be appreciated.