• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

my store: what do you think?

peterpil19

Hi, I'm interested in any opinions about my store: www.greekandromancoins.com!

Specifically, I'm interested in loading times. It is relatively graphically intensive and as I am on broadband it is hard for me to appreciate the experience of dial-up users

I'm pretty happy with the design aspect, but of course I am open to suggestions.

kind regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Why do I need to know my own IP address?

And I am not sure of the importance of visitor counters and the number of hits since the site went up.

Will have a full look when I have finished work.

Why do I need to know my own IP address?

And I am not sure of the importance of visitor counters and the number of hits since the site went up.

Will have a full look when I have finished work.

Number of hits is going to be removed as it is useless (increases everytime I refresh), but I haven't figured out what to put there instead. If you think of something, let me know.

The counter is for my own benefit. I think invisible counters are inconvenient because they require you to log in to the counter site.

IP address is in osCommerce tips & trips documentation . It gives an appearance that the visitor's IP address is being recorded, i.e. to ward away your general low-level pranksters.

Any further suggestions though are appreciated though...

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

A counter is not very useful as a tool to you, as a store owner. If you want to know how many people are visiting, use a real logging tool like webalizer. Your host probably provides something like that. That counter will increase every time Google, Yahoo, or a spam bot scours your site, so it's not very helpful to you. And I personally probably wouldn't buy from a site with only 200-odd hits.

Your images are WAY too large! Get a thumbnail contribution.

Layout and colors are okay. I like the top menu. Why are you using stock OSC buttons? They don't even match your color scheme.

Get a better Ebay image. The current one looks cheap.

It doesn't look like you have SSL. That's a must for me if I'm spending several hundrend on an item.

Contributions

Discount Coupon Codes

Donations

A counter is not very useful as a tool to you, as a store owner.  If you want to know how many people are visiting, use a real logging tool like webalizer.  Your host probably provides something like that.  That counter will increase every time Google, Yahoo, or a spam bot scours your site, so it's not very helpful to you.  And I personally probably wouldn't buy from a site with only 200-odd hits.

Your images are WAY too large!  Get a thumbnail contribution.

Layout and colors are okay.  I like the top menu.  Why are you using stock OSC buttons?  They don't even match your color scheme.

Get a better Ebay image.  The current one looks cheap.

It doesn't look like you have SSL.  That's a must for me if I'm spending several hundrend on an item.

Ok, will replace eBay image.

You are right, just realised how large my pictures are, will definitely changed.

I only just registered domain and designed store this month, thus haven't had time for SSL, but I'll take your word for it and buy an SSL certificate ASAP.

Stock OSC buttons, do you think changing them to grey would fit ok? I'll edit them in photoshop and upload asap.]

Thanks for your help!

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

I've installed a thumbnailer. It would be good if anyone that takes a look, can let me know if any of the pictures comes up "fuzzy" or anything bizzare like that. It seems ok on my computer, but I thought I'd check, in case.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Loading time good. Pictures good, not fuzzy. The color scheme matches the product.

I personally wouldn't push your Ebay shop so much (you mention it a couple of times on your website). If they landed at your website and buy from there, better for you, profit wise, as Ebay takes a big cut for their fees. From a marketing standpoint, when you sell something through your Ebay shop, send a packing slip which includes your website URL. This is a free way of getting the word out about your shop and helps encourage people to buy from your website.

Nice site. Good luck and regards,

Loading time good. Pictures good, not fuzzy. The color scheme matches the product.

I personally wouldn't push your Ebay shop so much (you mention it a couple of times on your website). If they landed at your website and buy from there, better for you, profit wise, as Ebay takes a big cut for their fees. From a marketing standpoint, when you sell something through your Ebay shop, send a packing slip which includes your website URL. This is a free way of getting the word out about your shop and helps encourage people to buy from your website.

Nice site. Good luck and regards,

Thanks for the encouraging comments Joe! I really appreciate that you took the time to have a look!

I will cut down the number of times I refer to my eBay store, and start putting different products in both stores so theres no competition, so to speak.

That's a great idea about the flyers, I will implement it ASAP

Thanks again!

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Good Job.

Agree about IP address. Never liked referring to someone as guest but not sure what else to recommend - nothing? How about just welcome to my site?

Like the way your products get highlighted by mouse over - how did you do that?

Charlie

Thanks to everybody who has voiced their opinions! I have implemented most of your ideas!

I had a couple of questions for anyone caring to answer:

1) What should I put in place of the IP address in the footer? I can't leave it blank as I need something to balance the date on the left-hand side.

2) I agree with Charlie: no-one particularly likes being called a guest. When I am referred to a guest on a site, it makes me feel a little unwelcome. What can I put instead of "Welcome guest" in the log in box. Should I just leave it as "Welcome"?

3) I've changed the layout a little on the main page (deleted subcategory picture and changed welcome message and introductory text). What do you think?

Thanks again, everyone has been a real help!

Kind Regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Hi all, I have changed my product_listing to have two products per line. I think it looks better, but I welcome any opinions positive or negative?

Here's a link: http://greekandromancoins.com/greek-c-21.html.

Kind Regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Just modified my FAQ so that it is within my stores walls, so to speak.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

I don't see FAQs, but maybe I misunderstood what you said about it. Also, did you mean to have "Greek" in red?

nm on the "greek" comment, it was because I clicked on that link.

I don't see FAQs, but maybe I misunderstood what you said about it. Also, did you mean to have "Greek" in red?

nm on the "greek" comment, it was because I clicked on that link.

That's right, the current category is highlighted in red. The FAQ is in the Main Menu, or you can go straight to http://www.greekandromancoins.com/faq.php

Kind Regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Ok, I must be too tired to see it. I still don't see a link to your FAQs anywhere on your site. Of course I found it when I used the direct link you supplied here, but I simply don't see it on your site.

I noticed you don't have a link to your shop on your Ebay "About Me" page. Please note you cannot put the link anywhere but on your About Me page and you cannot mention your osCommerce site anywhere on your auctions either.

Here are some quotes regarding links on the About Me page for further clarification.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173179

In answer to your earlier question, I think the 2 products per line looks good.

Regards,

Thanks for the warning. I just had a look at the eBay listing rules to find that you were correct! As I never had a website 2 months ago, I didn't really pay attention to those Outside Links rules.

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Hi, I was wondering which of the 3 pictures looks better. I want the price to be more easily read but don't want to overdo it.

Any opinions are welcome.

--Peter

picture%201.jpg

picture%202.jpg

picture%203.jpg

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

I've just had a look at your site...and well, it looks seriously good! The colours etc are excellent...overall a very professional site.

There is one thing that i'd change, but maybe I am the only person who has noticed, but....you may think that this is childish...

Collecting......

We...............

All................

Purchasing....

Clearly, and on your website I mean REALLY CLEARLY spells out CWAP and er you know what that sounds and looks like.

Maybe this is a comical overtone, or something you hadn't noticed....

Thanks

MrLee

I've just had a look at your site...and well, it looks seriously good! The colours etc are excellent...overall a very professional site.

There is one thing that i'd change, but maybe I am the only person who has noticed, but....you may think that this is childish...

Collecting......

We...............

All................

Purchasing....

Clearly, and on your website I mean REALLY CLEARLY spells out CWAP and er you know what that sounds and looks like.

Maybe this is a comical overtone, or something you hadn't noticed....

Thanks

MrLee

LOL! I better change that right away!!!!

Thanks!

--Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

I like the general look of your site - colour scheme suits content well, but must point out a background image issue.

The "grey lines" background that is used for the boxes has the attribute "background-attachment: fixed;" in your stylesheet (for classes '.infoBoxContents' and 'TD.productListing-data').

Having a fixed background image makes the screen scroll pretty sluggishly (on my comp at least, Mac IE5).

It is an effect worth considering using for larger background images as it can create quite a striking effect, but for thin grey lines the effect is barely noticable anyway so it would probably be worth removing or commenting out the "background-attachment: fixed;" lines in the stylesheet.

If you turn off the fixed backgrounds i'm sure you'll notice that pages scroll much more quickly and smoothly, or at least if you don't notice it, many others will

Hope this helps!

rum

Did you use a contribution for the Catagories on the store front? If so, which one. I enjoy your site - very well put together. I saw a couple of things I was going to comment on, but it looks like you got them already.

Thanks for your kind words and suggestions.

As requested, the categories contribution I used is located here:http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ategories+front

I didn't realise that the background slowed scrolling down on some computers, I will look into it.

I'm happy to say that I finally got the all products contribution working. I don't know why I could never get it to work beforehand, it's extremely simple to install. You can see it working here: http://www.greekandormancoins.com/all_products.php

I've also added a News section. I'm using an RSS contribution to get an ancient artifacts type feed. I know, I was surprised to find one as well! There are news feeds for everything nowadays! You can see it in action at: http://www.greekandromancoins.com/rss_reader.php.

Thanks again everyone for all their suggestions. They have been extraordinarily helpful!

Kind Regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Hi again, I've commented out the fixed-background instances in the styelsheet, does this seem to help? Is the scrolling a little smoother?

Thanks to Rumgolio for bringing this up...

Kind Regards,

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

hi

Could you tell me which rss contribution you used?

Also whether it would conflict with another rss contribution that collects info about your products and creates a feed for others' to have and to be uploaded to feed search engines.

thanks

steve

Archived