• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can an oscommerce site run as a wedding directory

mooseybaby

I have an oscommerce site My Webpage

however after only getting about 10 small sales ( which will not pay the mortgage)

i am thinking about setting up a website for a wedding directory.

i do not know how to do os commerce, i purchased the site for ?15 and had to deleat the dvds and stuff that was on it and then figure out a way to put some pics on it, i then paid ?20 to have a logo inserted as i did not know where or how to do this.

I do not know how to even change the colours of the website, as they are a boring grey.

im a divorced mother of 4 trying to better myself and work from home, as child care is so expensive.

Then i thought i will set up a directory and businesses can pay to advertise for a small fee.

So then i inserted a limo company and their details and i have a buy it now price at the side of the listing which says ?0.00.

Now this do not look right or proffesional, i asked the company who i got the website off if they could sort this out and the price was way past what i could pay him.

any suggestions about this would be much appreciated as im desperate to set up something that will look like a wedding related website where people can advertise their services.

Marina

I think I know what you want to do alright .... I think it's scandalous that these people are charging you to change logos etc. Do you know the FTP password etc of your site? If so download FTPSurfer, log on to your FTP directory and there you can see the directory structure of your website. If you download osCommerce to your PC you can see a mirror of the directory structure thereby seeing where all the images are stored. For example if you want to change a picyure called logo on your website, navigate to the relevant directory within the osCommerce directory on your PC, find the picture you want, modify it (using photoshop etc) and upload it (using FTPSurfer) to the equivalent directory on your web server ... it should save you a fair few bucks and also get you used to the file structure of your web server. If you want to add prices etc you can access the admin part of your site by going to this link ... http://yoursite.com/catalog/admin that will give you access to all the prices pics etc for your osCommerce site. I hope this helps somewhat and hopefully you're not more confused now than you were!!!

I think I know what you want to do alright .... I think it's scandalous that these people are charging you to change logos etc. Do you know the FTP password etc of your site? If so download FTPSurfer, log on to your FTP directory and there you can see the directory structure of your website. If you download osCommerce to your PC you can see a mirror of the directory structure thereby seeing where all the images are stored. For example if you want to change a picyure called logo on your website, navigate to the relevant directory within the osCommerce directory on your PC, find the picture you want, modify it (using photoshop etc) and upload it (using FTPSurfer) to the equivalent directory on your web server ... it should save you a fair few bucks and also get you used to the file structure of your web server. If you want to add prices etc you can access the admin part of your site by going to this link ... http://yoursite.com/catalog/admin that will give you access to all the prices pics etc for your osCommerce site. I hope this helps somewhat and hopefully you're not more confused now than you were!!!

Thank you for your kind help, i know what you are trying to say, but i do not know how to download oscommerce, i tried once to do it by downloading it then i did not know how to install it.

i have tried searching though each file to see where the logo insertion go's, but i could not find this, that's why i paid some one to do it for me.

i want to change the boring grey to a pink, but when i went to the stylesheet file and tried this i messed the site up and had to pay again to have it put back right.

i just need to know if the shopping cart can be removed on certain pages and kept on others.

I wish i knew more about this as i do get confused about the whole thing, so yes i will have to pay to have changes made, which i do not mind, it's just the price some companies charge, i do not mind paying between ?10-?20 for changes, which is about $18-$36 roughly.

Or maybe i might have to purchase a template from some one.

And once agian thanks for your help

Marina

Thank you for your kind help, i know what you are trying to say, but i do not know how to download oscommerce, i tried once to do it by downloading it then i did not know how to install it.

i have tried searching though each file to see where the logo insertion go's, but i could not find this, that's why i paid some one to do it for me.

i want to change the boring grey to a pink, but when i went to the stylesheet file and tried this i messed the site up and had to pay again to have it put back right.

i just need to know if the shopping cart can be removed on certain pages and kept on others.

I wish i knew more about this as i do get confused about the whole thing, so yes i will have to pay to have changes made, which i do not mind, it's just the price some companies charge, i do not mind paying between ?10-?20 for changes, which is about $18-$36 roughly.

Or maybe i might have to purchase a template from some one.

And once agian thanks for your help

Marina

This is what is known as extortion...

For a pretty basic site setup, including sts templates with graphics etc, you should be talking ?100-?300 tops, thats a full install. If I was doing this I would have this whole thing setup so you have the shopping cart for people who want to be added to your database, and then the main pages would just be standard html.

However not to pee on your fire, but why would companies sign up for your site, waht is your unique selling point, why as a buyer would I find your site? The reason I ask is that I run a wedding related business, and its a tough market, I understand that this might sound like a good idea (you dont have to sell anything per se), but in order to make this work you are going to have some selling point (i.e. reviews, ideas, etc)...

Point taken

I used to run a Limo company, we sold the limo and then another limo operator asked to buy the companies name and our website.Big Gee's Limousines

Now the Limo company who purchased our website made changes to the website content to run in line with their other limo company.

So when i was running the limo company i was always being phoned or e-mailed about advertising and i did advertise alot, and if you were to go to google uk and type in Big Gees limousines then it should come up quite a lot.

So i thought that maybe if i set up either a wedding directory or a business directory then businesses can for a very small fee (?15 per year) pay to advertise.

Now you are in the business your self ,so you know how hard it can be, and i would have to have a pretty impressive website, to entice people to advertise with me.

There are alot of other options i was thinking about going into, all i want to know is can a my present webite A Passion 4 Toys be changed to accomadate this, which you have said it could.

Thank you for your kind help on this matter.

Marina

Point taken

I used to run a Limo company, we sold the limo and then another limo operator asked to buy the companies name and our website.Big Gee's Limousines

Now the Limo company who purchased our website made changes to the website content to run in line with their other limo company.

So when i was running the limo company i was always being phoned or e-mailed about advertising and i did advertise alot, and if you were to go to google uk and type in Big Gees limousines then it should come up quite a lot.

So i thought that  maybe if i set up either a wedding directory or a business directory then businesses can for a very small fee (?15 per year) pay to advertise.

Now you are in the business your self ,so you know how hard it can be, and i would have to have a pretty impressive website, to entice people to advertise with me.

There are alot of other options i was thinking about going into, all i want to know is can a my present webite A Passion 4 Toys be changed to accomadate this, which you have said it could.

Thank you for your kind help on this matter.

Marina

Im not so sure you need an impressive site even, i guess what advertisers want is customers, and they will advertsie with you if they think that you are likely to send more people there way. (I remember advertising with a guy whos site was what appeared to be disorganised but drove lots of visitors to my site because he was ranked highly in the search engines..)

I hope you dont think Im being rude, but as you know yourself advertising is expensive, and the issue is going to be more how you get people to your site, and then how you convert those users into clicks for your clients.

I wish you luck with it, certainly you can make oscommerce do these kind of things and more, one option to consider is using an affilliation scheme, offer your affiliates ?x for every conversion they send your way..

Archived