• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Should I be "Live"

mcleve

This is my first crack at web design and I have found it very difficult to get that "Just Right" look that so many of you have a knack for. I'm thinking of going offline until I get that custom look figured out.

I don't know php so i'm pretty lost without all the folks on this board. Thanks to all of you and Thanks in advance for suggestions/feedback.

www.DJ-Jewels.com

Install a thumbnail contrib, and get rid of the DHTML scroller. That will make your site a million times better.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

thanks Ryan,

I took your advice and added "on the fly thumbnails", Additional_images_V1-13, and Loginbox_5.5 today. I am pretty tired and have to hang it up for tonite.

thanks for the suggestions!

Again any and all suggestions are appreciated!

thanks Ryan,

I took your advice and added "on the fly thumbnails", Additional_images_V1-13, and Loginbox_5.5 today. I am pretty tired and have to hang it up for tonite.

thanks for the suggestions!

Again any and all suggestions are appreciated!

I would change the header bg color to white and center the image

otherwise a a nice standard osc-cart :thumbsup:

dahui

I like what you've done. Your store is too wide for 800 by 600 screen resolution. You might want to replace new products for september with the all categories in main page contribution (I've used this in My Store - I think some welcoming text that uses your key words is also good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Some categories are very slow to load - others are fine. Your page titles (at the very top of the screen) should change with each page - like your store name + category name - but it's so long ago I forget how I did that probably there was a contribution this helps with SEO. I removed the right column from my store and put everything on the left - I think your store would look good like that too.

I like how you have items showing that are out of stock and the buy now changes to sold out - how did you do that?

Good luck it's looking good.

Ruth

I like what you've done.  Your store is too wide for 800 by 600 screen resolution.  You might want to replace new products for september with the all categories in main page contribution (I've used this in My Store - I think some welcoming text that uses your key words is also good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).  Some categories are very slow to load - others are fine.  Your page titles (at the very top of the screen) should change with each page - like your store name + category name - but it's so long ago I forget how I did that probably there was a contribution this helps with SEO.  I removed the right column from my store and put everything on the left - I think your store would look good like that too.

I like how you have items showing that are out of stock and the buy now changes to sold out - how did you do that?

Ruth

I used a sold out contribution from here but I can't remember what it was called exactly. (I done it before I started logging all my upgrades).

Your site looks great. I am going to work on installing a contrib like you have for all categories in main page, if I can figure out which one. There are alot of them.

for some reason your header and footer images don't line up with the body unless I change my Encoding from Western European (ISO) to Western European(Windows) Right click > Encoding > choice.

If you don't mind me asking which "Previous/Next" contrib did you use?

Thanks for the suggestions I really need it.

www.DJ-Jewels.com

Your contact us page - put a physical address on there too - it just helps build customer confidence. Your shipping and returns page is extremely blunt and to the point. Maybe want to pad this out with some re-assuring text about care of orders, packaging, cost of shipping, etc. etc.

Delivery is 2-3 business days.
Really? worldwide?

Your category pages can take an age to load, would def go with a thumbnailer contrib, and would also advise to change your main page grey background to a white for a cleaner look. At the same time, your page links at the bottom of your category pages are in white, maybe change these to your purple colour for a better themeset??

I like your category links in your header, and your site has a very simpel feel to it which is good, but as a customer i dont feel i know anything about you as a company, so would not be happy parting with cash on your site. Even some simple welcome text would go some way to addressing this issue.

Please note - if I have suggested a contrib above, it doesnt mean it will work! Most of the contribs are not ones I've used, but may be useful for your particular problem....

Have you tried a refined search? Chances are your problem has already been dealt with elsewhere on the forums.....

if (stumped == true) {

return(square_one($start_over)

} else {

$random_query = tep_fetch_answer($forum_query)

}

Your contact us page - put a physical address on there too - it just helps build customer confidence. Your shipping and returns page is extremely blunt and to the point. Maybe want to pad this out with some re-assuring text about care of orders, packaging, cost of shipping, etc. etc.

Really? worldwide?

Your category pages can take an age to load, would def go with a thumbnailer contrib, and would also advise to change your main page grey background to a white for a cleaner look. At the same time, your page links at the bottom of your category pages are in white, maybe change these to your purple colour for a better themeset??

I like your category links in your header, and your site has a very simpel feel to it which is good, but as a customer i dont feel i know anything about you as a company, so would not be happy parting with cash on your site. Even some simple welcome text would go some way to addressing this issue.

Thanks Tony!

I am addressing these issues as we speak. Creative writing is not my strongpoint though.

Your site looks great. I am going to work on installing a contrib like you have for all categories in main page, if I can figure out which one. There are alot of them.

I used this one - contribution link

If you don't mind me asking which "Previous/Next" contrib did you use?

this one Contribution link

strange about the encoding it's fine on my computer - which browser are you using?

I like what you've done.  Your store is too wide for 800 by 600 screen resolution.  You might want to replace new products for september with the all categories in main page contribution (I've used this in My Store - I think some welcoming text that uses your key words is also good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO).  Some categories are very slow to load - others are fine.  Your page titles (at the very top of the screen) should change with each page - like your store name + category name - but it's so long ago I forget how I did that probably there was a contribution this helps with SEO.  I removed the right column from my store and put everything on the left - I think your store would look good like that too.

Ruth

Dandelion Your store is too wide for 800 by 600 too, how come you are telling everyone else this?

Dandelion Your store is too wide for 800 by 600 too, how come you are telling everyone else this?

Something strange has started happening to the store - the text has started loading too large. I thought it was because of my new keyboard that has a text zoom feature - when I reset the text it is totally fine and does fit 800 x 600. I wish I new what happenend and how to fix it.

Dandelion, oh right i see, so you know i have adjusted my site so it fits 800 by 600 :D

Yes, sorry I didn't mean to run off with your thread and make it about me :blush:

I started a new thread to figure out my encoding problem.

Your store is looking great! Here are a few comments:

- I don't get the point of the gallery past if these items are no longer available?

- You don't have an About Us page - I like to know who I'm buying from, where items are made (especially if they are ethically sourced).

- In your returns page you say "leave our warehouse by 5pm of the next business day." Do you really have a warehouse full of jewellery?

- You need a title contribution not sure which one I used might have been this one Product description in title bar or more likely it was this one Header Tags controller contribution

all the best with your store

Ruth

Okay this one is kind of silly... but I would want to know about it in my store :)

When I was doing the mouse roll over of the images on top the one of the earrings ends up looking like a viking bra. Is there any way to use a different pair? Maybe some dangles or hoops?

Okay this one is kind of silly... but I would want to know about it in my store :)

When I was doing the mouse roll over of the images on top the one of the earrings ends up looking like a viking bra. Is there any way to use a different pair? Maybe some dangles or hoops?

LMAo i noticed that too

• 2 months later...

I would change the font of

"Your #1 source for handcrafted and designer sterling silver jewelry. We offer a wide variety of artisan beaded jewelry featuring unique designs in handmade Bracelets, Earrings, Necklaces, Chandelier Earrings, Swarovski? Crystal Jewelry, Freshwater Pearl, Gemstone and Sterling Silver."

to the same as the rest of the site as the text is hard work to read.

Nice design!

Thats cool.

Can you install gzip compresion on oScommerce? Reason I ask is that you can see each infobox image load up. With gzip it doesnt display untill everythings loaded. There maybe another contribution that can do it. (gzip is used on phpBB) I think it spoils the effect when you can see the corner images load. (could be just me)

Really like it though. May borrow some of your design ideas for mine! Thanks

• 6 months later...

Leaps and bounds better than it was the first time I looked at it - way back in the day.

I would probably lighten the background just a touch. It's a little hard on the eyes with all the lines after you look at it for a while.

Good work.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Looks professional...

Some things I noticed:

- the text on the reviews button is misspelled

- the product code is too close to the product name (on product_info.php)

- the characters on your buttons are not spaced equally making it hard to read; the font is very small as well

- couldn't find any information about your business like business address or phone number

- no SSL on checkout without account

- you don't need my date of birth

I like the clean look of the shop.

Love the dropdown smart search. Which contribution did you use for this?

The estimated shipping costs in shopping_cart.php are good. Gives me an idea of what the total cost would be.

You need to work on your search engine listings. Currently there seems to be only one entry and thats with Yahoo. Install search engine friendly URLs and metatags contributions and promote your shop!

Keep up the good work!

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Archived