• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New York Multiple Sales Tax by Zip Code Contrib!

xearoth

Hey guys,

I am using the New York Sales Tax by Zip Code contribution. I was giong to see if you'll had any problems repopulating the .sql file to your own states and uploading. I will post the original line from the contrib and then my own and can somebody tell me what is different about it and why it says no sql query executed via php admin.

REAL THING:

UPDATE `TABLE_ZIPTAX` SET `zip_id` = 1, `zip_code` = '12404', `zip_tax_rate` = 8.2500, `zipcounty` = 'Ulster', `zipstate` = 'NY' WHERE `zip_id` = 1;

MINE:

UPDATE `TABLE_ZIPTAX` SET `zip_id` = 1, `zip_code` = '00501', `zip_tax_rate` = 8.62500, `zipcounty` = 'SUFFOLK', `zipstate` = 'NY' WHERE `zip_id` = 1;

Do you see anything there that if i ran that why it wouldnt work?

Not to get off of your important question here but this contrib is of no real value. (wish it was, sorry it just isn't). Having several online shops in NY since 1998 I can tell you that you have to pay tax to the proper county and not a related zip code (or a zip code that somehow someone thinks belongs to a certain county).

Example? Well that's pretty easy. We have (in my area, many more I'm sure) a 14456 zip code, part of it is in Ontario County, the other Seneca County (and even if tax rates are the same you still have to pay each tax to the respective county)... and yes both have 14456 for a ZIP. After several hacks and such (methods like this etc.) the only "true" method in which NYS taxation dept. will except is taxing by county only. We have been audited a few years back (paid over 5,000 in fines) and believe me this contrib will not suffice in their eyes.

I have no problem with my osC shops with inputted counties. I have all 81 NYS counties input for customer selection via a drop down-box (on create_account.php screen) and never had anyone stumble or complain. ??? look at the Create new Account link ->Go Kart Shop

I just want to share my adventures and save others (the many) hours that I have put in on this, after all this is what Forums are all about!

--KJ

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

• 2 months later...

Top_Speed,

I took a look at your site and how you handled NY Sales tax by county. I also live in NY State. Would you mind sharing the steps necessary to make something like that work? I've been messing with NYS zip code mod (which I have not gotten to work).

Thank you!

Barb

Hi Guys,

Thanks for seeking that prior post back when I solved the mystery, it is exactly how mine are viewed here: MY Account login with NY State counties defined!

By the way, it works perfectly! I cannot see how you can do it by Zip codes like some are trying being that some zips are in 2 different counties (i.e. 14456 is in both Ontario & Seneca Counties.)

The only way to date that I know of is the way (method) that I have trounced out.

Time to list like this? Less than 2 hours. Please backup db prior and test when done before any live sales takes place (of course!).

As said works to a teeeee! :D

Kind Regards, top_speed

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');