• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Support Thread for Supertracker Contribution

equilla

does anyone know what's in the .dat file?

i've downloaded everything and it seems to work, i'm just a little concerned as i can't read the data inside the .dat file, and hope it's not connecting to anywhere and passing on some information from my site to someone...

i'm probably being silly, but i did find a "free" hack somewhere on here before and people posted that it was sending information out to the providers of the code..

hopefully it's just a DB and i'm being paranoid..

:)

Edited by kev@num

does anyone know what's in the .dat file?

i've downloaded everything and it seems to work, i'm just a little concerned as i can't read the data inside the .dat file, and hope it's not connecting to anywhere and passing on some information from my site to someone...

i'm probably being silly, but i did find a "free" hack somewhere on here before and people posted that it was sending information out to the providers of the code..

hopefully it's just a DB and i'm being paranoid..

:)

Hi Kev,

Paranoia is good ;)

It's basically just a database which is loaded when the class declared in geoip.inc is called. If there was any "calling home" going on it would be in geoip.inc, rather that the .dat file. If you have a look at that file, you should be able to see how all this works and put your mind at rest.

Regards,

Mark

Hi there,

well there were about 380 rows in the table and i tried it with 200, 100 and 1. None of them worked..

Thanks again!

gr.

kasper

Kasper,

Do you know what version of MySQL you have?

It could be that it doesn't like the lack of a WHERE condition in the statement. Perhaps you could try giving it one.

...On Line 63 of admin/supertracker.php, change the line to read as follows:-

$del_query = "DELETE from supertracker WHERE tracking_id>0 ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT " . $rows_to_delete;

If that doesn't work I will need to think again once I know what MySQL version you are running, as the supported syntax may be different to later ones.

Regards,

Edited by equilla

Hi,

I`ve installed your contribution.

I`m not quite sure where I went wrong during installation. When I visit

admin/supertracker I see a totally blank page.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Soeren

Hi,

I`ve installed your contribution.

I`m not quite sure where I went wrong during installation. When I visit

admin/supertracker I see a totally blank page.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Soeren

Hi Soeren,

are you using and administration modifications, such admin with access levels, etc. If so, I'm just wondering if the page is being blocked in some way because it hasn't been added to your list of allowed pages.

Another possibility is that you are using a browser in which this page doesn't render properly - it was checked in both IE and firefox, but I didn't go beyond that.

If the above draws a blank, perhaps you could PM me with some details so that I can see the problem for myself as I'm shooting slightly in the dark on this one.

Regards,

Kasper,

Do you know what version of MySQL you have?

It could be that it doesn't like the lack of a WHERE condition in the statement. Perhaps you could try giving it one.

...On Line 63 of admin/supertracker.php, change the line to read as follows:-

$del_query  = "DELETE from supertracker WHERE tracking_id>0 ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT " . $rows_to_delete;

If that doesn't work I will need to think again once I know what MySQL version you are running, as the supported syntax may be different to later ones.

Regards,

Hi again!

well i?m using MySQL 3.23.57

i will try the code....

and...

i?m sorry doesn?t work...

Error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 95' at line 1

DELETE from supertracker WHERE tracking_id>0 ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 95

[TEP STOP]

any ideas?

thanks

gr.

kasper

Hi Kasper

Well, I think that it is your MySQL version that is causing the problem (it was released over 2 years ago). I have read the relevant documentation for the DELETE function, and the above should have worked.....

So, basically there are 2 options - update your MySQL version, or experiment in something like phpmyadmin until you find something that works for your version. Unfortunately I don't have anything that old around to experiment for myself.

Regards,

Hi Kasper

Well, I think that it is your MySQL version that is causing the problem (it was released over 2 years ago). I have read the relevant documentation for the DELETE function, and the above should have worked.....

So, basically there are 2 options - update your MySQL version, or experiment in something like phpmyadmin until you find something that works for your version. Unfortunately I don't have anything that old around to experiment for myself.

Regards,

Hi again,

well thanks anyway! I know it?s an old version.. but my provider didn?t make the update to a newer version..

So i guess i?ve to try and play with the code!

Thanks again man!

gr.

kasper

I'm getting it up and going, but it looks to be an excellent and useful contrib!

One suggestion, in the next release I would move the geo_flags directory to just images/flags to be consistent with visitors and other contribs that already use the flags.

I do have a question, from what I understand every visitor is logged. So in a site say getting 500+ or 1000+ visitors a day the lines can really add up, How often do you suggest deleting the tables to maintain optimal site performance?

Great work!

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

Hi,

many thanks for your feedback. I'm getting a few suggestions now and will certainly take them into account in the next release.

In answer to the question you posed, the simple answer is, I don't know. I think perhaps we have to draw on the experience from users of busier stores to gather that information...!

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

with regards to suggestions... how difficult would it be to extend / combine supertracker with something like this contribution or this one? Supertracker already uses information provided by Maxmind's GeoIP. This result or risk level displayed on order page would be definitely great security enhancement and 100% better than simple IP recorder.

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Absinthe Original Liquor Store

Hi again!

i will try the code....

and...

i?m sorry doesn?t work...

Error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 95' at line 1

DELETE from supertracker WHERE tracking_id>0 ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 95

[TEP STOP]

any ideas?

thanks

gr.

kasper

Humm I've got the same error, did you ever find anything to fix this?

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

Humm I've got the same error, did you ever find anything to fix this?

Here is a fix, but it will delete all the tracking rows not just the rows you specify

Change:

?$del_query ?= "DELETE from supertracker ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT " . $rows_to_delete;

TO:

?$del_query ?= "DELETE from supertracker";

in admin/supertracker.php

By the way I've noticed after about 2000 rows it really starts to affect server performance, what's everyone else experiencing? Any ideas on how we can automate this to delete after say 2000 rows or is there a better way to store it or optimize the table?

Edited by homewetbar

I added a couple of enhancements to the package:

Version 1.2 BETA Changes

- Modified tracker so it records the exact product page or category the visitor exited from.

- Modified admin page so exited page is clickable.

I added a couple of enhancements to the package:

Version 1.2 BETA Changes

- Modified tracker so it records the exact product page or category the visitor exited from.

- Modified admin page so exited page is clickable.

Thanks for this - I will make sure these changes are merged with what I've got going on here. Been working away on business a lot recently - hence the difficulty in replying to posts...

The performance degradation you mention with lots of rows - I'm not seeing it. Are you getting it on the catalog side, the admin side, or both? I think the catalog class could be improved to reduce the number of table scans anyway and am going to look at this in the next version.

I'm also seeing some data loss when people navigate a lot of categories (the serialised array basically grows beyond the size of the MySQL table field and starts over again) and also when people log off (the cart gets wiped, etc). I also need to improve the session tracking further when crossing the divide into checkout (sometimes both IP and session ID change!). I have some ideas on how all these can be fixed - just a matter of available coding time......

Cheers,

i am about to install this contrib, its just what i am looking for.

one question, if google or any other search engine is crawling my website will supertracker pick it up.

and also how much information does this store,and howfar will i be able to look back any activity?

cheers

also when the geoip.dat file is downloaded i get it in a .gz format.

do i need to unzip this?

Hi,

some quick answers as I've just got back in and need to rush out again....!

Yes, you need to uncompress the archive you have downloaded to get the geoip.dat binary file in a useable form.

Yes, Supertracker will pick up visits from spiders - more stats could be produced for their visits, which I will no doubt introduce at some point in the future.

How far you can go back depends very much on how busy your site is and how many rows of supertracker data you are able to hold in your database without performance degradation - management of the number of rows is currently left to the user, under manual control, as I didn't have a clue what the limits might be and they may indeed by different for different server specs.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for this - I will make sure these changes are merged with what I've got going on here. Been working away on business a lot recently - hence the difficulty in replying to posts...

The performance degradation you mention with lots of rows - I'm not seeing it. Are you getting it on the catalog side, the admin side, or both? I think the catalog class could be improved to reduce the number of table scans anyway and am going to look at this in the next version.

I'm also seeing some data loss when people navigate a lot of categories (the serialised array basically grows beyond the size of the MySQL table field and starts over again) and also when people log off (the cart gets wiped, etc). I also need to improve the session tracking further when crossing the divide into checkout (sometimes both IP and session ID change!). I have some ideas on how all these can be fixed - just a matter of available coding time......

Cheers,

No problem, the more we all work together the better the program becomes. However one note, with the enhancement it records most product pages however sometimes it still records just the base product page without the id for some reason, I don't know why.

I noticed the performance issues on both sides admin and catalog. It could be just a concidence but I had noticed the site running slower for several days it was more like 3000 rows data, and then when I deleted the rows it was instantly faster and continued to run faster from then on. I wonder if it has to do with querying the database all through the 3000 rows every time someone visits a page to matchup their record with the database and then modifying it, I would think that might be pretty intensive but then again SQL is very robust I'm told. As I do have the visitors contribution and its currently over 13,579 rows, I just have to delete it about once a month to keep performance from being affected.

What if you stored a cookie on their computer that expired in say 7 days and that contained the row id and if every row id was auto-incrementing you could then just add to the row based on what was contained in the cookie instead of querying the DB everytime, I dunno if that is a better plan than capturing the IP and searching the records by that or not. I'm not expert on this myself but its an idea. Matched with the performance enhancements you're talking about it might make it less intensive...

installed contrib few days ago, brillant work equilla!

got a problem though!

getting the following error when trying to delete from admin:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 10' at line 1

DELETE from supertracker ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 10

[TEP STOP]

(the 10 changes when i put different numbers i to delete, for instance if i put 36 in the number in the error becomes 36)

installed contrib few days ago, brillant work equilla!

got a problem though!

getting the following error when trying to delete from admin:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 10' at line 1

DELETE from supertracker ORDER by tracking_id ASC LIMIT 10

[TEP STOP]

(the 10 changes when i put different numbers i to delete, for instance if i put 36 in the number in the error becomes 36)

Try reading the forum posts, I answered this only a few posts ago.

I've been thinking on ideas for this contrib, it has alot of possiblities.

A couple of ideas.

1 How about if it logged either when someone created an account or completed a purchase the url and base url for tracking, possibly in a seperate table so you could store them for months at a time and compare months...

2. Breakdown by base referer url and full url.

Thats it for now. Maybe someone that uses a commercial tracker or analysis software can suggest more ideas...

Just encountered an error:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's?', customer_id='489', completed_purchase='false', cart_contents='a:1:{s:29:"28' at line 1

UPDATE supertracker set last_click='2005-09-16 13:56:53', exit_page='/product_info.php?products_id=285', num_clicks='23', added_cart='true', categories_viewed='a:1:{i:41;i:1;}', products_viewed='*285?*285{txt_3}{txt_2}Keith's?', customer_id='489', completed_purchase='false', cart_contents='a:1:{s:29:"285{txt_3}{txt_2}Keith's";a:3:{s:3:"qty";i:1;s:17:"attributes_values";a:1:{i:2;s:12:"Keith's";}s:10:"attributes";a:1:{i:2;s:1:"0";}}}' where tracking_id='1603'

I believe this is caused by the option type contribution when you add a text field and have punctuation in it notice the 285{txt_3}{txt_2}Keith's"; with Keith's in the middle. This is a fairly common contrib. We need to trim the product id I believe to fix it as the contrib adds all these extra characters to track attributes. I happened after I added the product to the cart then clicked on it in the cart to go back.

Owch its nasty, you can't view any pages after that...

-Keith

Edited by homewetbar

Hi.

I just installed this mod and everything seems to be working fine on the admin side. When I look at the catalog side I get a page full of warnings like this:

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxx/includes/geoip.inc on line 396

Fatal error: error traversing database - perhaps it is corrupt? in /home/xxx/includes/geoip.inc on line 416

I was able to create the tables in MySql with no problem. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

Clesha

Hi.

I just installed this mod and everything seems to be working fine on the admin side.  When I look at the catalog side I get a page full of warnings like this:

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/xxx/includes/geoip.inc on line 396

Fatal error: error traversing database - perhaps it is corrupt? in /home/xxx/includes/geoip.inc on line 416

I was able to create the tables in MySql with no problem.  Can this be fixed?

Scratch that, I figured out the problem. It wasn't upload correctly.

Thanks!

Clesha