• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

200 customers per day!!

rklamot

A friend of mine contact me with a dillema his site is having. He became extremely popular and is now making 200 sales per day. Problem is, 200 orders to fill takes an insanely long time. Is there an easy way to fill this hefty amount of orders, like a contribution that automatically orders products? I suggested that he hire employees to fill orders. Is that a good idea? What do you guys with large volume orders do?

Ryan

He's been in business for approx 2 years and to the best of my knowledge he was making 80 sales last year per day, and now its increased because he's changed hosts and marketing companies.

Back to the question, any suggestions guys?

Simple - Outsource the distribution to a logistics or fulfilment company.

From the osC side of things, the main tasks - backup, update software, print packing slips, update order status, send froogle feed etc. take roughly the same amount of time regardless of the number of orders being processed.

rklamot, don't tell me he have all those books sitting in his basement?? or does he go to a wholesaler to pick them up everynight? or does he operate like amazon? I am surprise people are buying your friend and not amazon! Way to go for him :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I suggest your friend look into automating his shipping for a quick and good solution:

My company used to spend 2 persons to process 50 orders a day. With some automation using FedEx Automated Labels, we managed to cut down to only half man day for the same amount of orders.

I also suggest he uses an import tool like Quickbooks Import with his accounting software if he doesn't have one yet.

I believe I.T. is the way to go. Employing people to do repetitive tasks is not a feasible and sustainable solution in the longer term.

- The Jackal

Hello

What i do not understand like someone said earlier is this doe not happen over night ?

What i mean is if it jumped from 10-15 sales per day to 200 sales overnight, one i would be amazed two i could understand, but i see like this the sales must have creeped up over some time and at one stage it must of been 100-150 sales per day, so if he had 100 sales per day he must of had help.

I dont see any differents between 100 per day or 1000 per day it just a case of adding more man power.

The way i see it is some people think they will start a website and sell from their bedroom 20-30 items per week for pocket money, but i had a plan from the start that im sticking too, 1, set up a site (done) 2, set up a shop/stall (done) find cheaper products from overseas ( still in talks) 3, plan to open more shops in the next 2-3years and become a wholesaler to the main stores, and so on, see i have a long term plan and even if this folds tommorrow you still need that long term plan, if not you can fail before you even start.

I guess my office accountant and manger jobs has help me to be like this, but even if you have no office knowledge you can always pick up a few business books..

• 4 weeks later...

you can also use turbocash, some sort of accounting program which will 'dump' the data into an accounting module, and also process the orders with invoices, etc, as well as was stated above, shipping modules

Archived