• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Extremely poor ranking on google

sheerlock

STS and Header Tags server totally different purposes. STS is a template system that helps you easily change your shops appearance. Header Tags adds code to your shop that will allow it to display unique titles and meta tags for the SE's. STS won't help you at all when if comes to getting a better search engine position.

Yes, you should link to yourself from the footer. But instead of using FILENAME_DEFAULT for the link to the home page, use '/'.

In my opinion, Heade Tags is the best. Others will differ, albeit wrongly. :)

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

STS and Header Tags server totally different purposes. STS is a template system that helps you easily change your shops appearance. Header Tags adds code to your shop that will allow it to display unique titles and meta tags for the SE's.  STS won't help you at all when if comes to getting a better search engine position.

Yes, you should link to yourself from the footer. But instead of using FILENAME_DEFAULT for the link to the home page, use '/'.

In my opinion, Heade Tags is the best. Others will differ, albeit wrongly. :)

Jack

Is it possible that every page header has got the description and title of that product?

Because I have got over 2000 products and I do not have the time to manually edit every product for meta and header. ;)

I've been looking through the logs recently and googlebot does come around often.

The strange thing is that is does not go deeply into the links and does not go through all the links on a given page ie index.php

Secondly two points are teasing me:

1- I can't view the source through IE unless i click on "refresh" once, i find this abnormal as on www.koolart.co.uk website i don't have to do that, the source is shown first time.

2- When launching a new IE window and going to my index page all the links have an OsCid attributed but when clicking on any of the links, the page selected is shown correctly but has no more OsCid on the links. Same again, koolarts website does have the OsCid links :blink:

Question: How come my setup is doing this, especially as the parameters are working ok and no errors are generated even when trying all the possible settings under admin section.

Thank you for any help my brain is knackered with all this :huh:

Is it possible that every page header has got the description and title of that product?

Because I have got over 2000 products and I do not have the time to manually edit every product for meta and header.  ;)

Yes. Once installed, run fill_tags.php (included) and all of oyur products will be setup correctly.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I've been looking through the logs recently and googlebot does come around often.

The strange thing is that is does not go deeply into the links and does not go through all the links on a given page ie index.php

Secondly two points are teasing me:

1- I can't view the source through IE unless i click on "refresh" once, i find this abnormal as on www.koolart.co.uk website i don't have to do that, the source is shown first time.

2- When launching a new IE window and going to my index page all the links have an OsCid attributed but when clicking on any of the links, the page selected is shown correctly but has no more OsCid on the links. Same again, koolarts website does have the OsCid links  :blink:

Question: How come my setup is doing this, especially as the parameters are working ok and no errors are generated even when trying all the possible settings under admin section.

Thank you for any help my brain is knackered with all this  :huh:

1 - This is a bug in IE. It has to do with not enough resources, even thught they are there (as I recall). If you clear cache (or maybe history) it will work for a while without having to refresh although that is usually not worth the bother.

2 - Be sure you have admin->Sessions->Prevent Spiders set to true.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

1 - This is a bug in IE. It has to do with not enough resources, even thught they are there (as I recall). If you clear cache (or maybe history) it will work for a while without having to refresh although that is usually not worth the bother.

2 - Be sure you have admin->Sessions->Prevent Spiders set to true.

Jack

Prevent spiders was set to true.

I have cleared cache etc. ->no change.

However in playing around with the problem i can clearly say that the session id is included in the links on the first request of a page in a fresh IE window, otherwise their is no session ID in the links although the website works fine and i can't figure out why >_<

I get the feeling that there is some code somewhere that IE does not like or does not comply and could be the reason why the crawlers don't search deeply.

This could be due to a contribution i have installed but i couldn't say which one. What gives me this feeling is because other OsCommerce setups don't do this.

Regards.

Yes. Once installed, run fill_tags.php (included) and all of oyur products will be setup correctly.

Jack

I ran fill_tags.

Can you please take a look in my shop?

As you can see, at the homepage, the title is Home - - CooleGSM.nl. How to get one - away? In the settings I have got:

Default title: - CooleGSM.nl (if I take the - here away there will no - be in product_info.php)

index title: Home

And when will changes in meta tags take effect in Google?

I don't get this, how do you mean / ?

Instead of using FILENAME_DEFAULT in the link, use '/'.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I ran fill_tags.

Can you please take a look in my shop?

As you can see, at the homepage, the title is Home - - CooleGSM.nl. How to get one - away? In the settings I have got:

Default title: - CooleGSM.nl (if I take the - here away there will no - be in product_info.php)

index title: Home

And when will changes in meta tags take effect in Google?

Find the following code in includes/header_tags.php
      $tags_array['title']= $the_category['categories_htc_title_tag'] .' '.  HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " .  $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

and change it to

$tags_array['title']= $the_category['categories_htc_title_tag'] .' '.  HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " .  $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . '  ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Find the following code in includes/header_tags.php
      $tags_array['title']= $the_category['categories_htc_title_tag'] .' '.  HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " .  $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

and change it to

$tags_array['title']= $the_category['categories_htc_title_tag'] .' '.  HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " .  $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . '  ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

Jack

? changed ' - ' everywhere to ' '. Now its working, thank you!

Do you know when changes in meta / title are noticed by Google?

• 2 months later...
? changed ' - ' everywhere to ' '. Now its working, thank you!

Do you know when changes in meta / title are noticed by Google?

There's no set time. it depends a lot on how oftern google is visiting your site and how well you are already placed. If your site is new and not listed, it might be 2-3 months. If it is established in the listings, then it could be a week.

Jack

Is this what you mean:

Copyright © 2005 <a href="http://www.coolegsm.nl/" style="color:#ffffff ">CooleGSM.nl</a>

?

No, you need to use the tep_href function.

Jack

i lost the file fill_tags.php. Where do I have to put it? In which directory?

This question is about Header Tags Controller.

If you have the latest version of Header Tags, fill_tags is build into the admin section. If not, you need to place the file in the admin directory and run it from there.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived