• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it ready to go live???

dandelion

Okay, please give me your opinions on My Webpage

I need to decide if I keep the home page or move the store to the root. I don't want to mess too much as in google and other search engines this site is number one for the keywords "aromatherapy Ontario". I think I'll redo the home page with a shop button and links to places in the store. What do you think???

Please be honest but nice:)

Ruth

I like it. The layout fits your products.

All of the needed information is there. You have SSL.

The only drawback I saw was that you only take Paypal. Unfortunately, there are still people who are not comfortable using it.

Try to get a merchant account. There are a lot of them out there, and the rates are actually better than Paypal.

Best of Luck!!

Functionally, there are still issues that I think need resolving.

The Session ID in the URL being one - I know you have had trouble with this, but come on - it's not hard to get it right, and really needs doing, especially since you are not recreating the session when going to a https:// page (which you should be)

All it is going to take is a link with a session ID in it, 2 people to follow that link and bang - suddenly customer 1 will be seeing customer 2's details.

Also, your checkout/logging in /logging off is not working quite right.

For example, I just made a test order and the after the first page, a "logoff" link appears at the top. Huh?

Right next to that is a "Returning login" link???

Either I'm logged in or logged off! Which is it?

Also, you appear to have session problems where my cart was emptied for no reason - could be due to your incorrect configure.php file.

If you want me to take a look at this, PM me - I've had enough of fruitless back and forth interchanges here.

The only drawback I saw was that you only take Paypal. Unfortunately, there are still people who are not comfortable using it.

I don't think this is even an issue anymore with the new Web Payments Pro, people never leave your site and it processes credit cards directly making it invisible to the end user. So i don't know why this issue even comes up anymore.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

I don't think this is even an issue anymore with the new Web Payments Pro, people never leave your site and it processes credit cards directly making it invisible to the end user. So i don't know why this issue even comes up anymore.

Paypal Pro is not an "automatic" addition - it needs coding just the same as any other merchant account interface, and even then, there will be people who won't trust it if they find out it's going through paypal.

I don't think there are currently any contributions for paypal pro, although I don't think it would be too hard to knock one up.

Paypal Pro is not an "automatic" addition - it needs coding just the same as any other merchant account interface, and even then, there will be people who won't trust it if they find out it's going through paypal.

I don't think there are currently any contributions for paypal pro, although I don't think it would be too hard to knock one up.

Yes, there is a contribution for Paypal Pro...

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275

I like it.  The layout fits your products. 

All of the needed information is there.  You have SSL.

The only drawback I saw was that you only take Paypal.  Unfortunately, there are still people who are not comfortable using it.

Try to get a merchant account.  There are a lot of them out there, and the rates are actually better than Paypal.

Best of Luck!!

If you can send me a personal message and suggest a merchant account that would be great. My friend is strapped for startup funds so Paypal was a good option

The store isn't live yet (the home button takes you to the old site which is live but doesn't link to the store yet).

What I'm lacking with this site is a good way to list the articles/archived newsletters/recipes. Have any of you worked with good contributions to manage these?

Is oscommerce equipped to send customized newsletters?

My Webpage

Any help would be great.

R

Okay here's the reason I can't go live yet

1) I can't get any taxes to charge! Any ideas?

2) I also don't know how to make in catalog/create_account.php the country as a default not a pull-down that refreshes and changes the provice back to Alberta each time!

PLEASE I have to get this store live this week!!

I don't like the orange header. I hate orange as a general rule, but an aromatherapy website strikes me as someplace that should have a more relaxing color.

In the breadcrumb, you switch from HOME > STORE > Regular Capitalization. I'd stick with one or the other. Having both bugs me.

It's a very clean site. Perhaps a bit too clean for me, but overall I like it a great deal. And would be tempted to buy from you. If I lived in Canada. Alas.

Always BACK UP your files and your database before making any changes. Before asking questions, check out the Knowledge Base. Check out the contributions to see if your problem's solved there. Search the forums.

Useful threads: Store Speed Optimization How to make a horrible shop Basics for design change How to search the forums

Useful contributions: Easypopulate Fast, Easy Checkout Header Tag Controller

• 2 weeks later...

Nice shop. The orange looks fine to me. I like how in-depth your site is (links to various resources, descriptions at product categories, disclaimer at bottom, etc.), as this benefits both you and your customers.

When using IE6, click on "home" and the breadcrumb is messed up. This was not a problem when I used Firefox and Netscape.

Good job. Best of luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I mostly like your site.

Here is my critique.

1) colour scheme is OK but you havent used complementary colours. A great resource for this is http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

2) I feel that you have too many boxes down the left side of the screen, in my opinion the left column should be important info only.

3) I feel you could use a better category menu structure, this applies to way too many oscommerce sites, I hate having to look through a list of 20 menu items to find what I want. Yours isnt bad but I feel it could be optimised. For example: A single category for oils which then drills down to Essential Oils - Bath & Body Oils -

I like that you have the search box at the top, this is where I would expect to find it.

I prefer the shopping cart to be on the right hand side, this is where people expect to find it.

Have a look at your competition http://www.culpeper.co.uk http://www.nealsyardremedies.com/shop/bin/...i1.exe/homepage

Hope this is of some use.

Sean

Depends where you are outside of the US Paypal is still only ebays cash processor (or how it appears to most people anyway), we dont get the paypal pro so we still have to put up with this.

One thing I would like to do is at the top of the store I have the "returning login" and once someone logs in the "log off" appears to the left but I want it to actually replace "returning login". Can someone tell me how to change this code to achieve that?

<tr class="top"><td align="right"> |  

<?php if ((tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) && (!tep_session_is_registered('noaccount'))) // DDB - PWA - 040622 - no display of logoff for PWA customers
  { ?>
	  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="top"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF; ?> 
  </a>  |  
  <?php } ?>

<?php if (!tep_session_is_registered('noaccount')) // DDB - PWA - 040622 - no display of account for PWA customers
  { ?>
	  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, 'my_account_f=1', 'SSL'); ?>" class="top"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_LOGIN; ?></a>  |  
  <?php } ?>
<!-- Cart Info In Header //-->
<?php
$cart_item_count = $cart->count_contents();
if($cart_item_count == 1) {
 $itemdesc = 'Item';
} else {
 $itemdesc = 'Items';
};?>
<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART); ?>" class="top"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS; ?>
 -  <?php echo $cart_item_count . ' ' . $itemdesc;?></a>
<!-- End of Cart Info In Header //-->
   |  <a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL'); ?>" class="top"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT; ?></a>  | </td>

<td>
<?php //echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, 'my_account_f=1', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_account.gif', HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_cart.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS) . '</a>  <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL') . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'header_checkout.gif', HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT) . '</a>'; ?>
</tr>

looking at your ranking for google only 63 people searched for th term ontario aromatherapy in the last 60 days, yet 409 people searched for ontario aromatherapy supplies, if possible try to get yourself ranked for this term, specifically there is no competition for this term! Also withh 33 hits ontario aromatherapy school with only 2 other sites, which could be worth targetting

looking at your ranking for google only 63 people searched for th term ontario aromatherapy in the last 60 days, yet 409 people searched for ontario aromatherapy supplies, if possible try to get yourself ranked for this term, specifically there is no competition for this term! Also withh 33 hits ontario aromatherapy school with only 2 other sites, which could be worth targetting

Thanks but we don't sell supplies we sell products and we aren't a school we are a treatment center. I'll give it a try though. Thanks for looking at this.

ok maybe you need to be aware of how people use the term supply/product, in the uk they are quite similar and maybe interchangable mayb canadians see them as distinct as you suggest

ok maybe you need to be aware of how people use the term supply/product, in the uk they are quite similar and maybe interchangable mayb canadians see them as distinct as you suggest

Perhaps - I think of supplies as in a supplier of empty bottles or wholesale bulk products not retail.

Something has to happen here soon the store has been live nearly one month and there has only been one sale!

Okay here's my problem - we've had about five people get as far as the confirmation and then not pay at paypal. I think it's the flat rate shipping. If you are ordering a little thing you don't want to pay $13.00 CDN to have it shipped to BC but if you are placing a big heavy order then we would lose money on shipping. What do others do for shipping?

• 2 weeks later...

Site looks good. I know nothing about your products, so I can not comment intelligently on your use of categories (there are a lot of them). Colors look good and I really like your images. They look nice and crisp. What are you doing to advertise? Check the discussions for marketing, tags, search engine optimization and the like.

Good Luck

Archived