• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I challenge you, How to Create Dynamic Subcategory

oscommerceking

Hi, heres a challenge to the osc community,

Can you Create a totally customized subcategory page for each main category that offers a sub category

~ To add A Quasi Main page instead of seeing the basic subcategories or text

When the main category is clicked on A new languages/english/index.php file will be called that can have completely customized layout and images, tables, html etc

Is this possible, has anyone attempted it, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your keen interest and support

~jon

Edited by Johnson

Simple Template System perhaps? Might get you most of the way there.

STS

Iggy

Thanks for the quick reply however my storefront is already too heavily modified to switch over to the sts template system, rather i need a way to integrate a call within the php to another languages/english/index.php from underneath each parent category that contains subcategories

Any ideas on this one? :blink:

Jon

One way I've seen this done is to not use the categories infobox at all. Replace it with your own infobox, linking to your own "category1.php" "category2.php" files of your own making that contain the layout that you want.

-jared

• 1 month later...

I have been search thru the forums looking for a solution to added dynamic pages to your cart and have come up with nothing. There has to be a way to add pages to your cart that you can completely customize. I have a clothing store site that Im putting together and want to add a few dynamic pages to give my site a unique look which also will be easier to navigate to a selected product! What Im trying to do Example: Customer arrives at my online store and is looking at my mainpage on this page there are several image one of a coat, one of a hat, and one of a jacket! As she passes over the coat it allows her to click the image which then opens up a newpage (which is my new dynamic page) that replaces the mainpage and here she see a new set of images of exclusively just coat that she can choose from! Summer,Winter,Fall etc here she can select Winter and it then opens the sub category of all of my winter coats!

There has got to be someone out there that can explain how to add dynamic pages to your cart, Im sure its been done before. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep following the post and hopefully someone will come up with the solution!

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, heres a challenge to the osc community,

Can you Create a totally customized subcategory page for each main category that offers a sub category

~ To add A Quasi Main page instead of seeing the basic subcategories or text

When the main category is clicked on A new languages/english/index.php file will be called that can have completely customized layout and images, tables, html etc

Is this possible, has anyone attempted it, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your keen interest and support

~jon

Are you wanting to change the whole page layout or just the main middle section ?

if the later thats easy as only the category images are displayed and new products box

or am i missing something ?

have a look at http://www.gsnetworks.co.uk/test_osc_site1...dex.php?cPath=1

i havent changed anything yet other than display what template it could be, click on other categorys and the template will change, depending upon what tables, images, layout you want changes how i tackle the rest of your interesting puzzle :thumbsup:

I think this is almost what you're asking for:

osC-ProductListingSelect for MS2

There is also somewhat of a discussion of this topic here:

Product Listing in Columns

Including a comment from nana who says that he has done it:

i am sorry no mad skills just bored as hell and i couldn't figure it out either.

but i managed to set the diffrent display for diffrent category going

let me know if you want the files and i send it to you to add it to your contribution i just used the other one that i mentioned to you i have used the older version so it does not have these stuff about pricing you have to do that do not know a thing about it

Edited by djmonkey1

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.