• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Music Distribution Shop Question

omini

Hi all!

I am currently working very hard in making a digital music distribution shop, but have hit a snag that I am kind of lost on. I think OSCommerce will work for everything I need except for one issue. I need to be able to pay the artists and labels variable percentages automatically every time one of their songs is sold. Plus, I will need a way for them to view and download reports and to get paid automatically when their payments reach a certain threshold. Or, at least that I would get notified of this event so that I can cut them a check or pay by paypal.

I don't know a whole lot about php, so I am trying to find the best way to go about this. I was thinking I could modify the affiliate contribution for this except one developer told me I couldn't use it and another said I could. So, I am very confused.

So, the question is, how would you go about doing something like this? Do you think it's very hard and complicated or something pretty simple to do?

Thanks very much for any help or advice!!

Omini

how do the customers get to your site in the first place? you can use the affiliates for the ones coming to you from their sites. there are other options, however need to know a bit more in detail

Sorry for the lack of detail!

The customers would come directly to us, not from other sites, which I think is why the first developer told me it wasn't possible, because of the way the sessions are handled.

So, I guess I would have to have a list of the artists and labels when I create a new product and then pick one and give them a percentage of the sales.

Then, when people would download a song, it would automatically track the earnings of the artist or label and make a report for them to view.

Hope that makes sense and thanks so much for your kind help! :)

• 11 months later...

you have that already with the manufacturers. Just assume they are the artists for the products. So the only thing that you need is on the admin end to calculate the percentages from the order_products table basically. And there are contributions where you could extract code from and build a report.

You might try the supplier or manufacturer contributions available.

The one that I'm thinking of is the Supplier Admin Contribution, which gives your suppliers access to reports and information. But it won't calculate the percentage owed without making some modification.

Sorry for the lack of detail!

The customers would come directly to us, not from other sites, which I think is why the first developer told me it wasn't possible, because of the way the sessions are handled.

So, I guess I would have to have a list of the artists and labels when I create a new product and then pick one and give them a percentage of the sales.

Then, when people would download a song, it would automatically track the earnings of the artist or label and make a report for them to view.

Hope that makes sense and thanks so much for your kind help! :)

What you need is going to take some custom programming. For my music store I use a modded version suppliers contribution

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,3957

to allow the artist/labels whose music I sell to log in and see how many downloads they sold and then I pay them on a quarterly basis through paypal.

My Contribution

Music Download Store Template

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4275