• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2CO (2Checkout.com), e-goods chargeback

EyeOrderChaos

Greetings!

I have signed up as a "Supplier" with 2CO.com, one of the new "Paypal"-type services (reseller).

My products are/will be mostly e-products: screensavers, games for handhelds, etc.

It would therefore appear that I am at the highest possible risk for chargeback abuse...an e-product, low cost, impluse buy, appeals to teens and young adults..etc.

Does anyone have good advice for strategies? My original plan was to supply the registration code (key to unlock the screensaver) in the same folder as the downloaded file (since at that point the payment has been authorized).

However, a comment on this site that automating software keys for e-goods is just asking for chargebacks (implying there should be an additional verification process). Well, if it was me, I would be irritated as a customer if I had to wait or mess aorund too much for a silly 10-15$ screensaver.

the problem comes simply in that, if chargebacks go over around 3% I think it is, the 2CO chargeback fee becomes $50...you could see how this could get ugly.

High ticket tangible good sellers might wish they had it so easy, because the software is just files.

I noticed that 2CO is very precise in the language that they use about how they are going to cover their own ass, and very ambiguous in how they are going to safeguard the profitability of their Supplyer's businesses. They promise, but they don't specify.

any golden strategies out there? Thanks. Peace from the USA.

PS. If it gets too scary, I'll just remain a little botique level store that accepts only cash chck MO for cd's of screensaver series and other multimedia, and start looking for an "in" to getting published/carried by big new age book stores. Yeah, that's the genre, mind-expanding, energy healing 3D immersive screensavers (irrelevent to the discussion, I know, but hey, maybe someone has some contacts)

My strategy is to avoid 2checkout at all costs.

Search for 2checkout in these forums, google, or even the 2checkout forms themselves for horror stories. I can't recommend strongly enough that you find aanother payment processor.

I konw that wasn't your original question, but believe me, you do not want to go down that path.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 5 weeks later...

Search for 2checkout in these forums, google, or even the 2checkout forms themselves for horror stories. I can't recommend strongly enough that you find aanother payment processor.

I konw that wasn't your original question, but believe me, you do not want to go down that path.

which other services would you recommend that minimises chargebacks?

Yeah, I'd get as far away from 2CO as possible... If their expensive chargebacks don't get you, their 1 week turnaround for customer support questions will...

Web Development, 365... 366 in a leap year.

Archived