• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Module with Customer Options

tfittsy

I'm thinking of writing a shipping module that my site will use for delivery. Is it possible for a shipping module to be interactive at all? I would like to have the customer choose from available time slots, but as far as I can tell, all shipping modules just have option for the customer and all the decisions are made beforehand in the administrator.

So is it possible to code something and then have the module calculate the delivery price from what they choose, or does that all need to be done before they ever choose their shipping option?

I'm thinking of writing a shipping module that my site will use for delivery.  Is it possible for a shipping module to be interactive at all?  I would like to have the customer choose from available time slots, but as far as I can tell, all shipping modules just have option for the customer and all the decisions are made beforehand in the administrator.

So is it possible to code something and then have the module calculate the delivery price from what they choose, or does that all need to be done before they ever choose their shipping option?

there are several shipping modules that list options.

so you could list the available timeslots with the relevant pricing and have the user choose the one they want.

Treasurer MFC

well, UPS comes to mind.

I was just looking at the UPS and was about to come back and explain my needs a little better.

I plan to have a standard option at a base price, and then 4 other options at different prices. Under each of those prices would be different time slots. The base option would have 4 options, the second would have like 7, the third would have 9, and the fourth would have 11, and the last option would have about 40 different time slots.

So ideally I would like it so that they can choose their option (and and the price that goes with that option) and then they can choose their time from a drop down box.

If I were to do it like the UPS options, I would have like 70 Radio buttons for them to choose from.

I was just looking at the UPS and was about to come back and explain my needs a little better.

I plan to have a standard option at a base price, and then 4 other options at different prices.  Under each of those prices would be different time slots.  The base option would have 4 options, the second would have like 7, the third would have 9, and the fourth would have 11, and the last option would have about 40 different time slots.

So ideally I would like it so that they can choose their option (and and the price that goes with that option) and then they can choose their time from a drop down box. 

If I were to do it like the UPS options, I would have like 70 Radio buttons for them to choose from.

well, as I read it you simply have 4 options that a user can choose from.

In addition each option has a drop down which would then be a simple input parameter for your database.

So 4 radio button options with each 1 dropdown box.

Treasurer MFC

well, as I read it you simply have 4 options that a user can choose from.

In addition each option has a drop down which would then be a simple input parameter for your database.

So 4 radio button options with each 1 dropdown box.

Exactly. Do you know of any shipping modules with a drop down box that I can look at for reference? Also, I will need a way for them to choose the date. I hope it's possible to do this in the shipping. If I can learn how to add a dropdown to the shipping options then I think I can figure out how to make the date selectable. Thanks for your help by the way.

Exactly.  Do you know of any shipping modules with a drop down box that I can look at for reference?  Also, I will need a way for them to choose the date.  I hope it's possible to do this in the shipping.  If I can learn how to add a dropdown to the shipping options then I think I can figure out how to make the date selectable.  Thanks for your help by the way.

I would use the currency dropdown as an example, it shows you exactly how to construct a good dropdown menu from database data.

Treasurer MFC