• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

Ok well I first installed version 2.90 but really couldn't get that working!

So now I've installed 2.76 instead. It seems to be a lot better - no error messages and I can actually download the files.

However when I try to upload I just get the message:

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phpnKqyL7

User filename: EP2006May07-2008.txt

Size: 2891

But none of the changes have actually been made.

What am I missing?

You are actually uploading your txt file onto the server. You need to use the first section, Upload EP File, if you are uploading the txt file from your computer.

I am using the 'Upload EP File' section. I also tried using the 'import from temp directory' but the same thing happens. Everything seems fine just no changes. Could some of my file permissions on the categories/products be preventing the changes?

I am using the 'Upload EP File' section. I also tried using the 'import from temp directory' but the same thing happens. Everything seems fine just no changes. Could some of my file permissions on the categories/products be preventing the changes?

I have never gotten that message. When I upload to that section, I get a listing of everything that was uploaded. The only time I get that is if I use the option that says create txt file into tmp directory.

I have never gotten that message. When I upload to that section, I get a listing of everything that was uploaded. The only time I get that is if I use the option that says create txt file into tmp directory.

Ok thanks for the insight. Any suggestions of a way I could get this to work? Has anyone else had this problem?

Ok thanks for the insight. Any suggestions of a way I could get this to work? Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't had that problem. The file size of your upload seems very small, though. How many products were you trying to upload? It seems like it didn't read anything past the first couple of lines. The file I uploaded last night was 82K, and it was 200 products.

I get that type of message, i.e.

File uploaded.

above the listing of uploaded products. I don't use the temp directory method either.

No real answer here, sorry, just trying to understand what's happening to your file.

I haven't had that problem. The file size of your upload seems very small, though. How many products were you trying to upload? It seems like it didn't read anything past the first couple of lines. The file I uploaded last night was 82K, and it was 200 products.

I get that type of message, i.e.

File uploaded.

above the listing of uploaded products. I don't use the temp directory method either.

No real answer here, sorry, just trying to understand what's happening to your file.

It only has a couple of lines - my site isn't live and only added a couple of products to test. Could this be the reason it's not working?

Where is the /tmp/ coming from? My temp file is /temp/

If I upload from the /temp/ it just says: Filename: EP2006May07-2008.txt

All very confusing - it would be far better if there was actually an error message!

Just to confirm I'm not doing anything stupid - I download the txt file from admin, edit it using excel, save it and then try and upload through EP. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'm not sure about the tmp

Your process sounds correct. It's what I do, anyway.

Just to be sure, though...you gave each of your test products a unique model number, in the first column, "v_products_model"?

It only has a couple of lines - my site isn't live and only added a couple of products to test. Could this be the reason it's not working?

Where is the /tmp/ coming from? My temp file is /temp/

If I upload from the /temp/ it just says: Filename: EP2006May07-2008.txt

All very confusing - it would be far better if there was actually an error message!

Just to confirm I'm not doing anything stupid - I download the txt file from admin, edit it using excel, save it and then try and upload through EP. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I'm not sure about the tmp

Your process sounds correct. It's what I do, anyway.

Just to be sure, though...you gave each of your test products a unique model number, in the first column, "v_products_model"?

Yes, they all do. One product originally didn't so I deleted it - would this cause the problem? Do I need to upload all the products every time?

You don't have to upload all of the products every time. It just looks for existing model numbers, and when it finds them it looks for changes to make to those products. If it's a new model number, then it should add the new product.

If you have a few products already existing in your download file, try uploading the same file you downloaded without making any changes. If you don't, add a couple of products the regular way then try the download/upload to see if it reacts differently.

If there's no model number specified, that will cause a problem.

Yes, they all do. One product originally didn't so I deleted it - would this cause the problem? Do I need to upload all the products every time?

Ok a little bit of progress... I have 2 products, both with model numbers.

I downloaded the file, saved it, and then re-uploaded it. And I think it worked (got the list etc.) It did have one syntax error which was to do with the description having single speech marks around a word I think.

So I think excel is changing the file somehow. When it opens it appears to use semicolons as seperators and then whne I save it it just has tabs.. I thought the default was tabs?

Thank you for your patience.

You don't have to upload all of the products every time. It just looks for existing model numbers, and when it finds them it looks for changes to make to those products. If it's a new model number, then it should add the new product.

If you have a few products already existing in your download file, try uploading the same file you downloaded without making any changes. If you don't, add a couple of products the regular way then try the download/upload to see if it reacts differently.

If there's no model number specified, that will cause a problem.

If you got the list of products under that other message, that's good news.

Not sure about your syntax error.

After downloading, this is what I do

Right click, "open with" , Excel

Then when your done with the file, "save as", "text (tab delimited)".

Excel will give you a warning about some elements not being compatible, etc. Click "yes".

Then, back to the EP page, "browse", (select your file), then click "insert into db".

Sorry if I oversimplified that, I just want to make sure we're following the same process.

Ok a little bit of progress... I have 2 products, both with model numbers.

I downloaded the file, saved it, and then re-uploaded it. And I think it worked (got the list etc.) It did have one syntax error which was to do with the description having single speech marks around a word I think.

So I think excel is changing the file somehow. When it opens it appears to use semicolons as seperators and then whne I save it it just has tabs.. I thought the default was tabs?

Thank you for your patience.

Simple is quite ok! I need it to be!

If I right click> open with excel it opens it without the text import wizard and doens't separate the columns.

What I have been doing is opening excel and then file>open. It then comes up with it's 'text import wizard'. I select delimited, and then have to select semicolon as the separator to get it into columns because it seems it is using ; as the separator.

Sample of data:

v_products_model;v_products_image;v_products_name_1;v_products_description

I then save it as a text tab delimited file but the semicolons are obviously no longer in the file, which I think is causing the problem.

Regarding the syntax error, it was caused by any speech marks and apostrophes in my descriptions which is a bit annoying. However I don't actually want to use it to edit descriptions so hopefully won't need to download those. Is there a way I can set it to just download certain fields? (well I'll sort that out when I fix this first issue anyway)

If you got the list of products under that other message, that's good news.

Not sure about your syntax error.

After downloading, this is what I do

Right click, "open with" , Excel

Then when your done with the file, "save as", "text (tab delimited)".

Excel will give you a warning about some elements not being compatible, etc. Click "yes".

Then, back to the EP page, "browse", (select your file), then click "insert into db".

Sorry if I oversimplified that, I just want to make sure we're following the same process.

Does anyone know a way to speed up EasyPopulate? I am *certain* I read a post a day or two ago with an easy fix - something about adding an ID to the table? At the moment , I am unable to create a complete ep file as it takes too long. The post I read said that the time taken for there's had dropped from 2 weeks to 30 seconds! As I was looking for something else at the time, I didn't note this down and, of course, I can't find the post now.

Thanks,

Tamsyn

that was the latest update to the contrib: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500

Does anyone know a way to speed up EasyPopulate? I am *certain* I read a post a day or two ago with an easy fix - something about adding an ID to the table? At the moment , I am unable to create a complete ep file as it takes too long. The post I read said that the time taken for there's had dropped from 2 weeks to 30 seconds! As I was looking for something else at the time, I didn't note this down and, of course, I can't find the post now.

Thanks,

Tamsyn

Ok I've just found the field separator in the easypopulate.php file and changed it from ; to tab and it seems to be working now!

Thanks for all your help.

Not sure if the descriptions are still causing errors though.. have you ever had speech marks cause problems?

Also, now I've kinda solved one problem - do you know I can set it just to download model number and status?

Thanks,

Natalie

Hi guys , I have a new field that I create for a particular funcion in the products table.

We are using Easy Populate , but I need to be able to add this extra field to the layout.

Are there a set of instructions or maybe a post that has already talked about this ? I have searched around (not every post) and the instruction and manual, but could not find anything.

Any tips ?

Thanks, great contrib

Hi guys , I have a new field that I create for a particular funcion in the products table.

We are using Easy Populate , but I need to be able to add this extra field to the layout.

Are there a set of instructions or maybe a post that has already talked about this ? I have searched around (not every post) and the instruction and manual, but could not find anything.

Any tips ?

Thanks, great contrib

Any tips ?

Thanks, great contrib

We must have different versions of Excel. I remember that wizard. It's annoying.

I found this thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192839&hl=#

Check out the 2nd post. Check the portion of your easypopulate.php file that is described there (where it sets the default delimiter). Yours must be set to semicolon, like you said. Change it to tab (in easypopulate.php), as the post in the link above describes.

Then try the upload/download again.

That shoud fix your issue, I think.

Simple is quite ok! I need it to be!

If I right click> open with excel it opens it without the text import wizard and doens't separate the columns.

What I have been doing is opening excel and then file>open. It then comes up with it's 'text import wizard'. I select delimited, and then have to select semicolon as the separator to get it into columns because it seems it is using ; as the separator.

Sample of data:

v_products_model;v_products_image;v_products_name_1;v_products_description

I then save it as a text tab delimited file but the semicolons are obviously no longer in the file, which I think is causing the problem.

Regarding the syntax error, it was caused by any speech marks and apostrophes in my descriptions which is a bit annoying. However I don't actually want to use it to edit descriptions so hopefully won't need to download those. Is there a way I can set it to just download certain fields? (well I'll sort that out when I fix this first issue anyway)

LOL I'm too slow, I guess. I'm glad you found it.

I had one odd item that caused a problem with quote marks. I had them in other descriptions without a problem, though, so it wasn't clear to me what happened with that particular item.

There might be another setting in the easypopulate.php file that deals with how it handles quotes and html, but I can't remember. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will be able to help.

I'm not sure about just model number and status, but there is the option to just download model / price / quantity, if that helps.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make some changes in the easypopulate.php file to alter the model/price/qty download to be just model and status. Definitely backup the file if you try that, though :thumbsup:

Ok I've just found the field separator in the easypopulate.php file and changed it from ; to tab and it seems to be working now!

Thanks for all your help.

Not sure if the descriptions are still causing errors though.. have you ever had speech marks cause problems?

Also, now I've kinda solved one problem - do you know I can set it just to download model number and status?

Thanks,

Natalie

Thanks. I think our posts crossed - I've just changed that and it works (my post above) although it seems I didn't use the proper syntax so will change as per the post you linked to, just in case it causes problems in the future.

We must have different versions of Excel. I remember that wizard. It's annoying.

I found this thread:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192839&hl=#

Check out the 2nd post. Check the portion of your easypopulate.php file that is described there (where it sets the default delimiter). Yours must be set to semicolon, like you said. Change it to tab (in easypopulate.php), as the post in the link above describes.

Then try the upload/download again.

That shoud fix your issue, I think.

lol - crossed again. Well thanks for all your help. :)

LOL I'm too slow, I guess. I'm glad you found it.

I had one odd item that caused a problem with quote marks. I had them in other descriptions without a problem, though, so it wasn't clear to me what happened with that particular item.

There might be another setting in the easypopulate.php file that deals with how it handles quotes and html, but I can't remember. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will be able to help.

I'm not sure about just model number and status, but there is the option to just download model / price / quantity, if that helps.

It seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make some changes in the easypopulate.php file to alter the model/price/qty download to be just model and status. Definitely backup the file if you try that, though :thumbsup:

Just for anyone's future reference: it is suprisingly easy to change - just look for $filelayout = array(

around line 1038 in easypopulate.php (the other downloads are above and below as well)

Does anyone know a way to speed up EasyPopulate? I am *certain* I read a post a day or two ago with an easy fix - something about adding an ID to the table? At the moment , I am unable to create a complete ep file as it takes too long. The post I read said that the time taken for there's had dropped from 2 weeks to 30 seconds!

This fix is a smart move. My concern: is indexing the MODEL field can cause problems? an index, by definition, is unique. You may have noticed that when duplicating a product create duplicates with the SAME model number, but assigned to a different category

Any thoughts on the impact it could have on a "boosted" EP?

thank you for your feedback!

Edited by pixclinic