• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

Wow this is a huge thread...I'll try posting and reading it after.

Anyhow, I installed this long ago but never got around to using it, I downloaded the txt of my existing inventory and it looked too complicated to bother using.

Recently I ran into a problem...I have to enter HUNDREDS of items into the store, so now I'm going to have to use this.

Is there a way, to import with excel, just the price/name?

No taxes, no options, no picture. Just the proper category.

you have to use a model #, category and the other items are optional.

So, say I wanted to import a product like so.

Category: Trees

Product name: Maple Tree

Price: $300

How would that be put into the spreadsheet?

I took Tiggers advice Excel Import is a dream, 1947 records inserted first try instal and config 5 min.

they could put Excel Import on Seasmee Street it is so easy to use. Thanks Tigger!!!

:D File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phplK4big

User filename: Spicer.txt

Size: 136869

Total Records inserted......1947

After re-reading this it was selmaboyd that had the solution with Excel Import and Tigger who had the problem. Thanks Selmaboyd!!

Talos

Hi there...I feel your pain...believe me and that is why I am happy to announce that after 3 weeks of sweat, cussing, and lots of tears :-" I finally am able to import and export my products with no problem...and see them in my store. I didn't use easy populate because it was too much of a headache literally I used the wonderful contribution from the dedicated and smart people at this link....try it..if it doesn't work you can always restore your backup...

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...5/category,all/

NOw this is assuming that you will be working in excel, however, I found this to work just as fine using just notepad...YES NOTEPAD! :blink: I say so because you don't know the headache I've been through....

anyway just a few notes to help you cause you may encounter along the way...

1. I would start with the first contribution dated Nov 15, 2002. This comes with a very nice step by step on how to proceed

2. THe developer created this contribution in Ukranian...really no biggie except I found that in the myphp admin you will need to find the right language code so that the query understands the command ALTER TABLE..." I used Lang: Eng (en-utf-8)

and MYSQL connection collation: cp1251_Ukranian_ci

I had to play around with the different languages to figure this out because I am a complete idiot when it comes to php sql and all that other stuff, this worked for me because at first the SQL query gave me an error about checking command terms

3. After following the rest of the directions, everything went well up until I had to figure out how to match my categories with the columns :o

4. At that point, I decided to upgrade to the v2 contribution dated 29 Jul 2005. After following this I got success. One advise....I was more successful getting every column and input along with very long product descriptions to load into the oscommerce admin very well by saving my excel spread sheet as a tab deliminated text...its simple and you can even open a notepad to line up your columns if they shift for any reason.

5. Also Using these contributions illiminates the need to use php admin at all once you get to the second contribution....

6. I know this was a lengthy :-" :-" post, but I just trying to help from a dummy like me...Happy Editing!

When you export using the newer version witn no (ver. number) are you supposed to get a save file notice. as I did not get one just a window of exported data? You mention a version 2.0 are you talking about Excel Import 2.0 (as I could not find one) or Easy-Populate?

Talos

When you export using the newer version witn no (ver. number) are you supposed to get a save file notice. as I did not get one just a window of exported data? You mention a version 2.0 are you talking about Excel Import 2.0 (as I could not find one) or Easy-Populate?

Hi,

Here's the contribution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...5/category,all/

its really not called version 2 I just called it that. Sorry. Its the Contribution dated 29 Jul 2005. The first one is dated 15 Nov 2002.

It allows you to add sub subcategories and so on. Hope this helps. Also, don't forget to back up folks...Lord knows I'm glad I did after trying to do these things a few times over... :D

Greetings,

Some weeks back, I tried to add the Easy Populate contribution, but ran into trouble and had to abort. However, I am ready to give it another shot as I have many new products to add. Would someone please tell me what the latest version is? There are so many files in the download area, and I don't want to chance downloading an old or incomplete version.

Question: How does EP compare with Excel Import? Which is simpler to install?

thanks.

Hello,

I'm a EP user, and I've founded a lot of errors... and I need to someone who corrects its...

First, EP work with Product's Model, so If you change the product's model in the .txt, when you upload the .txt, a new product will be added, not updated...

EP must work with Product's ID. If you add a new product, you put the next consecutive ID and the product will be added. If you want to EDIT the model, or description or image, etc, of a product, and you conserve the ID, the product will be updated. It's ovious, but nobody has made it yet.

The second functionality that EP must have is the erase (delete) of products... If you download the .txt and you delete a product, when you upload the .txt, the product must be deleted of the DataBase.

If a programmer reads my proposal, I would like that he/she considered it.

Thanks you very much.

Forums, the perfect place to practice my English. From Spain.

Here you go:

v_products_model	v_products_image	v_products_name_1	v_products_description_1	v_products_url_1	v_products_name_2	v_products_description_2	v_products_url_2	v_products_name_3	v_products_description_3	v_products_url_3	v_products_price	v_products_weight	v_date_avail	v_date_added	v_products_quantity	v_attribute_options_id_1	v_attribute_options_name_1_1	v_attribute_options_name_1_2	v_attribute_options_name_1_3	v_attribute_options_id_2	v_attribute_options_name_2_1	v_attribute_options_name_2_2	v_attribute_options_name_2_3	v_attribute_values_id_2_1	v_attribute_values_price_2_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_3	v_attribute_values_id_2_2	v_attribute_values_price_2_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_3	v_manufacturers_name	v_categories_name_1	v_categories_name_2	v_categories_name_3	v_categories_name_4	v_categories_name_5	v_categories_name_6	v_categories_name_7	v_tax_class_title	v_status	EOREOR
G 1637AP	blank-image.gif	G 1637AP	G1637 MTR APR BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:28	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637AU	blank-image.gif	G 1637AU	G1637 MTR AUG BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:29	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637DE	blank-image.gif	G 1637DE	G1637 MTR DEC BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:30	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637FE	blank-image.gif	G 1637FE	G1637 MTR FEB BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:31	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637JA	blank-image.gif	G 1637JA	G1637 MTR JAN BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:32	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR

Thats the first 6 lines of 2807 from the text file itself not the excel doc.

Thanks,

Somebody here has to know the answer to this plssssss

I have what may seem like an easy problem to fix to others, but I can't figure it out at all...

It's probably something small and stupid, so I'm sorry if I sound novice.

I've gone through all the instructions three times, read through the manual probably six times... with no luck.

I have the menu in my admin panel. The link works. I ran the SQL command against my database (no errors)

All the files were uploaded correctly (more than once just in case)

When I click a link (any link) in the easypopulate.php.... nothing happens. I can see the statusbar moving, but that's it.

The page returns to the original page, no errors, no files, no nothing. It's like nothing happened at all. Any ideas? :(

I FEEL SO STUPID! I AM SO SORRY FOR BOTHERING EVERYBODY!

I have Register Globals disabled, and I didn't think to search for that. I found this code:

// fix by jb 20040815 set the strings to http post/request, since they don't seem to work on the new server, with register globals=off...

$dltype=$_REQUEST['dltype'];

$download=$_REQUEST['download'];

global $HTTP_POST_FILES;

foreach( $HTTP_POST_FILES as $varname => $fileinfo ){

$GLOBALS[$varname] = $fileinfo["tmp_name"];

$GLOBALS[$varname.'_name'] = $fileinfo["name"];

}

// end fix jb

and inserted it, and volia! EVERYTHING works now! Hope I may have helped somebody in my rambling.

Here you go:

v_products_model	v_products_image	v_products_name_1	v_products_description_1	v_products_url_1	v_products_name_2	v_products_description_2	v_products_url_2	v_products_name_3	v_products_description_3	v_products_url_3	v_products_price	v_products_weight	v_date_avail	v_date_added	v_products_quantity	v_attribute_options_id_1	v_attribute_options_name_1_1	v_attribute_options_name_1_2	v_attribute_options_name_1_3	v_attribute_options_id_2	v_attribute_options_name_2_1	v_attribute_options_name_2_2	v_attribute_options_name_2_3	v_attribute_values_id_2_1	v_attribute_values_price_2_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_1_3	v_attribute_values_id_2_2	v_attribute_values_price_2_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_1	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_2	v_attribute_values_name_2_2_3	v_manufacturers_name	v_categories_name_1	v_categories_name_2	v_categories_name_3	v_categories_name_4	v_categories_name_5	v_categories_name_6	v_categories_name_7	v_tax_class_title	v_status	EOREOR
G 1637AP	blank-image.gif	G 1637AP	G1637 MTR APR BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:28	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637AU	blank-image.gif	G 1637AU	G1637 MTR AUG BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:29	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637DE	blank-image.gif	G 1637DE	G1637 MTR DEC BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:30	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637FE	blank-image.gif	G 1637FE	G1637 MTR FEB BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:31	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR
G 1637JA	blank-image.gif	G 1637JA	G1637 MTR JAN BHG TOE RING								49.5	0		4/5/2006 15:32	0	1	Color	Farbe	Color	2	Size	Gr??e	Talla	1					2					Mt. Rushmore BHG	GOLD	TOE RINGS	COLORED STONES					--none--	Active	EOREOR

Thats the first 6 lines of 2807 from the text file itself not the excel doc.

Thanks,

Looks to me like you are missing the Product_id. It should be the very FIRST field in your table 'v_products_id'. If using the advanced version of EP (EPA) this field will need a zero (0) in it to insert a new row. Or for updating the current product id. This is NOT the v_products_model field. I too have had the same problem.

I hope this helps!

:D

Looks to me like you are missing the Product_id. It should be the very FIRST field in your table 'v_products_id'. If using the advanced version of EP (EPA) this field will need a zero (0) in it to insert a new row. Or for updating the current product id. This is NOT the v_products_model field. I too have had the same problem.

I hope this helps!

:D

Ok so I did that as somebody else has pm'd me and I also removed the empty fields and still nothing. It stops after the first line it looks somthing like this

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phpOutJS7

User filename: completed_tabtest.txt

Size 391398

| 1 | G1637AP | blank_imag | G1637AP | G1637 MTR| | 49.5 | 0 | Mt. Rushmo | GOLD | TOE RINGS | COLORED ST | | --none-- | Active !New Product!

|2 G1637AU | 3 G1637DE | 4 G1637JA | and so on down the entire line!

It loads the first line then it combines the first two columns together and reports only that!

Whats going on here?

Thanks,

Zach

let's try to solve this problem ...

backup your easypopulate.php , download and replace with this one ep&pa2.79b-ms2 with column splitter

use it only for download (with 100 hundred or more, colour (or any other) attributes), if download works, and you can open downloaded file in Excel - let me know - then i will try to optimize the import, if don't - restore your easypopulate.php and send me errors please.

Hi dAbserver

Previous discussions on the thread refers. So that others can piece the thread together

Markman posed the question

How do store owners deal with the problem of uploading new products with multiple attributes and stock quantities? -- such as when a manufacturer sends a monster data file and it contains new products such as those I've mentioned above. It'd be nice not to manually have to go through the long list of items each hour to see if new items are listed; there must be a way to just import them on the fly with the correct stock quantity for each product attribute combination.

The issue surrounds the fact that if you have products with a lot of attributes unless you have one of the more exotic spreadsheets, excel et al have a 256 column limitation, which means that you run out of space

Example. I have products from different manufacturers but there is no convention on colour so you can get "brown, light brown, mid brown etc etc". My colours attribute consists of nearly 100 entries and at three columns per entry you get the picture QED

As a workaround, I have worked on the basis that the uploads are "cumulative" and loaded attributes within the confines dictated by the spreadsheet. I then used the "Ajax attribute" contribution to populate the site with products

I have also worked out the combination of attributes for particular products to make sure they were within the 256 limitation and then uploaded. I should be noted that I created a listing of all attributes so that I used the correct reference and did not overwrite any attribute data on upload

All right to a point but....

dAbserver I have followed your suggestions and file you passed on. I inserted it into a development system and I realise my current version of EP is now somewhat dated (2.76-MS2). However I got it loaded and did a download. There did not seem to be any difference between the 2.76 download and your file download. Certainly the file was far to big for excel.

I will send you the download file and I will also update my version of EP to (say) easypopulate279cMS2 and rerun your file with that version

Thank you dAbserver

Markman, anyone any thoughts

Cheers Nossum

Thanks for the sent file. I have checked up all once again with your file, and all works normally, including import. The EP 2.76 version and the EP 279.b version strongly differ. install EP 279b, and then install EP 279c.

I have inserted the counter of columns into versions 279c. If at export attributes do not find room in 250 columns, record of attributes proceeds since a new line. As a result one product will be written down in some lines in yours csv (тхт) a file. Separator EOREOR will be not in the end every line, but in the end of each product. With your file 6 lines on each product turn out.

p.s. sorry for my english ...

Hi dAbserver

Previous discussions on the thread refers. So that others can piece the thread together

Markman posed the question

The issue surrounds the fact that if you have products with a lot of attributes unless you have one of the more exotic spreadsheets, excel et al have a 256 column limitation, which means that you run out of space

Example. I have products from different manufacturers but there is no convention on colour so you can get "brown, light brown, mid brown etc etc". My colours attribute consists of nearly 100 entries and at three columns per entry you get the picture QED

As a workaround, I have worked on the basis that the uploads are "cumulative" and loaded attributes within the confines dictated by the spreadsheet. I then used the "Ajax attribute" contribution to populate the site with products

I have also worked out the combination of attributes for particular products to make sure they were within the 256 limitation and then uploaded. I should be noted that I created a listing of all attributes so that I used the correct reference and did not overwrite any attribute data on upload

All right to a point but....

dAbserver I have followed your suggestions and file you passed on. I inserted it into a development system and I realise my current version of EP is now somewhat dated (2.76-MS2). However I got it loaded and did a download. There did not seem to be any difference between the 2.76 download and your file download. Certainly the file was far to big for excel.

I will send you the download file and I will also update my version of EP to (say) easypopulate279cMS2 and rerun your file with that version

Thank you dAbserver

Markman, anyone any thoughts

Cheers Nossum

I really must be missing something here. To date I have uploaded some 15,000+ items with excell import July Version in less time than it takes to install "Easy Populate". You do not have to Split anything in Excell Import and you do not even have to use excell, it can be done with notepad if you want to. You don't get to read 1400 + support posts about Excel import though, because even Dummies like me can use it, and it install with One small file! I am using the un-numbered July English version and it is dream ware.

Talos

Ok so I did that as somebody else has pm'd me and I also removed the empty fields and still nothing. It stops after the first line it looks somthing like this

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phpOutJS7

User filename: completed_tabtest.txt

Size 391398

| 1 | G1637AP | blank_imag | G1637AP | G1637 MTR| | 49.5 | 0 | Mt. Rushmo | GOLD | TOE RINGS | COLORED ST | | --none-- | Active !New Product!

|2 G1637AU | 3 G1637DE | 4 G1637JA | and so on down the entire line!

It loads the first line then it combines the first two columns together and reports only that!

Whats going on here?

Thanks,

Zach

I have worked with jeeperss98 and found the issue to be PHP5.

To fix it, in \admin\easypopulate.php and \admin\easypopulate_basic.php

Find

array_walk($readed, 'walk');

replace by this

//array_walk($readed, 'walk');

foreach ($readed as $readed_record) {

walk($readed_record);

}

Andy

Edited by wheeloftime

Thanks for the sent file. I have checked up all once again with your file, and all works normally, including import. The EP 2.76 version and the EP 279.b version strongly differ. install EP 279b, and then install EP 279c.

I have inserted the counter of columns into versions 279c. If at export attributes do not find room in 250 columns, record of attributes proceeds since a new line. As a result one product will be written down in some lines in yours csv (тхт) a file. Separator EOREOR will be not in the end every line, but in the end of each product. With your file 6 lines on each product turn out.

p.s. sorry for my english ...

dAbserver

Thankyou for this I will upgrade and rerun as per your suggestion

Regarding the PS - Personally I think being able to talk/write on a technical subject in a 2nd language is PRETTY FANTASTIC!

Regards

Nossum

Hi

I have installed Custom Meta Tags per Item (the Randelia Custom_META_Tags_Per_Item, that adds metatags to products AND categories. Working good, very happy with it.)

I have modofied my Easy populate to take care of that, and it works on the product level, I can download and reupload my products metatags. But not my categories Metatags: of course, they in another table (categories which is joined with categories_description)

What is missing in EP for this is a download for Category - metatags, which could list all existing categories, with all levels of subcategories, and the associated metatags. Has it been done by anybody? I tried to look how the full file download upload worked when it comes to loop on categories to add the sublevels, but it's beyond my php skills. Ideally, I would like an extra download/upload capability that looks like:

category | subcategory1 | subcategory2 | subcategory...n | metatag_PAGE_TILE | metatag_PAGE_desription | metatag_PAGE_keywords

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Easy Populate doesn't properly create new categories. I have default language German and when uploading a file it doesn't create the necessary entries for the English name.

The result is that you can't see the new category in other languages than your default language and you can't edit the names.

I saw several people asking, but nobody posted a fix. So here it is:

1) In easypopulate.php find around line 1601 this:

$sql = "INSERT INTO ".TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION."(
													categories_id,
													language_id,
													categories_name
											) VALUES (
													$max_category_id,
													'$epdlanguage_id',
													'$thiscategoryname'
											)";
									$result = tep_db_query($sql);

2) Replace it with

//begin language fix mod by patrick
									$tmplanguages = tep_get_languages();
									for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($tmplanguages); $i<$n; $i++) {
									$language_id = $tmplanguages[$i]['id'];
									$sql = "INSERT INTO ".TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION."(
													categories_id,
													language_id,
													categories_name
											) VALUES (
													$max_category_id,
													'$language_id',
													'$thiscategoryname'
											)";
									$result = tep_db_query($sql);
									}

//end language fix mod

thats it.

congratulations! you just saved yourself from some hours of headaches! :)

Hi, ive downloaded the latest file 3 apr 2006 from http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,500

Im not very good with PHP but i have managed to install other contribituions but with Easy Populate I keep getting this error messages:

Warning: main(includes/functions/easypopulate_functions.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 53

Warning: main(includes/functions/easypopulate_functions.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 53

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/functions/easypopulate_functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 53

I?ve uploaded easypopulate.php in to /catalog/admin and when I try to DOWNLOAD_EP_2COMPLETE_EP this error ocoure:

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/functions/easypopulate_functions.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 53

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php:53) in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 520

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php:53) in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 521

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php:53) in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 527

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php:53) in /home/ercomerc/public_html/loja/admin/easypopulate.php on line 529

v_products_modelEP_DELIMITERv_products_imageEP_DELIMITERv_products_name_4EP_DELI

MITERv_products_description_4EP_DELIMITERv_products_url_4EP_DELIMITERv_products_n

ame_1EP_DELIMITERv_products_description_1EP_DELIMITERv_products_url_1EP_DELIMITER

v_products_priceEP_DELIMITERv_products_weightEP_DELIMITERv_date_availEP_DELIMITER

v_date_addedEP_DELIMITERv_products_quantityEP_DELIMITERv_manufacturers_nameEP_DEL

IMITERv_tax_class_titleEP_DELIMITERv_statusEP_DELIMITEEP_DELIMITEREOREOR EP_DELIMITEREP_DELIMITERtesteEP_DELIMITERtesteEP_DELIMITEREP_DELIMITERtesteEP_DE

LIMITERtesteEP_DELIMITEREP_DELIMITER82.64EP_DELIMITER21.00EP_DELIMITEREP_DELIMITE

R2006-04-02 21:03:42EP_DELIMITER97EP_DELIMITERDomusaEP_DELIMITERTaxa de Iva 21%EP_DELIMITEREP_STATUS_ACTIVEEP_DELIMITEEP_DELIMITEREOREOR

I would very much apreciate some help. I dont know if I must download any thing else for this contritution to work. Hope I get some help. Thanks

dAbserver

Thankyou for this I will upgrade and rerun as per your suggestion

Regarding the PS - Personally I think being able to talk/write on a technical subject in a 2nd language is PRETTY FANTASTIC!

Regards

Nossum

dAbserver

I have as you predicted succesfully downloaded data into excel with 300 plus attributes.

I call that pretty darn fantastic! Respect to you dAbserver

What about the upload? If you want me to do anything let me know

This will add a significant degree of "flexibility and useability"

Thank you

Regards

Nossum