• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

New Question

I use Easy Populate to import my products which we export from Filemaker. It works fine but sometime in our filemaker database we delete products. Maybe 10-20 a month. It is sometimes hard for me to find out which ones they are on the ionline shop to delete manually as when you do the EP Import it does not delete products that are are in the shop already but do not appear to be on this import.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the import to delete any products that are on the shop but are not imported - so then the import will just add any new products and update old products but delete any products that have been deleted.

I would appreciate some information on this.

So really my best bet is to use something like "Amend DB" and delete all products and then run EP.

Is there any hope of this delete option happening like I described above? As if you delete all products you loose the reviews on them as well.

Thanks

So really my best bet is to use something like "Amend DB" and delete all products and then run EP.

Is there any hope of this delete option happening like I described above? As if you delete all products you loose the reviews on them as well.

Thanks

Would it be satisfactory to make the product inactive?

if you are not updating the downloadable product info, then dont even include it in the upload, just leave those portions out of your spreadsheet.

so what you mean is i should delete the coloums in excel, then that section wond get updated?

If you do this, then your products will probably get an different ID and a different URL. This could affect your traffic from search engines, if a visitor sends an product link to a friend, product links on forums etc.

So h2oguyofnh's post is a better solution, set the product to Inactive in the spreadsheet.

// Fredrik

Easypopulate Download Complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Error: Server not found

I installed EP a couple of days ago. It worked fine. Until last night. Without changing anything at the files, the above error showed up. But only if I want to make a Complet teb-delimeted .txt file. The others are working fine. What could that be?

Peter

Hello! Thank you for writing "Easy Populate." It makes using OsCommerce sooo much easier!

I have an odd thing happening to my database, however, so I thought I might post it here and see if anyone has input. Whenever I change my products list (which is a plain-text tab-delimited file) and click "Insert into Database," some of the products replicate themselves. Not all of them... just some, like a chunk in the middle.

I'm using the newest (beta?) version with attributes, apparently, because I didn't know any better when I downloaded the code. :blush: (This is all new to me, I'm afraid, so I'm playing a catchup game.)

...So, input? Why are some products replicating like tribbles? Does anyone know? *looks hopeful*

Edited by dreaminggates

#1 Thanks for the contrib

#2 I may have some corrupted file names in my install, downloaded install to mac then to server. have files named: easypopulate_functions-oldersna , easypopulate-4masterproducts-2- in the admin directory

#3 Tried to lengthen products_model via phpMyAdmin and it seemed take changes but when I try to upload files it tells me that I need to stay to 12 characters or less. Is #2 leaving me without features that I need?

tia

did u change the model # length in ep to match what you have in the db?

I suspected something like that but don't see where to do it within the admin area. Could my install be somehow incomplete? Everything else worked until I lengthened the names....

ck

thanks for the rapid response

done in the code and the database

Thanks. When I read the support doc it stated "go to easypopulate.php" and I misundertood that to launch the page. I opened it in a text processor found the variable and it works!

Now I have two of every item in my store and can see why since I have changed the product names. Fortunately this is my practice store and only has a few items. I'm using Filemaker pro to generate product numbers based on categories then appending a unique product identifier. In my live store, I may choose to manually change the product numbers before using EP and hope that FM pro accepts the number. I'm currently doing this as a calculated field but may be better off to do it as a lookup and create a script. I don't want to disconnect my products with their unique id#'s.

Again, thanks for all your good work.

ck

ps Would you kindly give me a link to the fewest number of variables that I need to enter a product? It would seem that model, description, price, categories, v_status, qty, EOFEOF are absolutely necessary. Any others? Will it update the db if the export only has those (I don't use attributes).

I have a question regarding html tags.

I googled and search this forum in vain.

I am trying to make the Category names to have formating.

For this I use a css and the following wrapper around the Category name:

<font class="leveling">CATEGORY_NAME_HERE</font>

Whenever I plug this inside eazypopulate the quotes get parsed and nothing shows.

I changed them to \" OR " OR & # 3 4 ; (no spaces) but nothing.

If I put this manually it shows nicely. but as soon as I update with eazypopulate modified category name to the above, a new category is created with no formating.

Is there a fix for this, or am I stuck?

I have a problem with EP that seems fairly simple. However, I have never seen it discussed on this board.

I have uploaded my EP data rather smoothly. Despite having the date in my excel file, when I load file back to osCommerce it does not include the data added to the system.

So, the products display "This product was added to our catalog on ." rather than including a date.

Please see this page for an example:

My Webpage

If anyone can post a link to another article or provide some advice that would be great.

Thanks

dont know what you mean by beta. i would venture to say you have duplicate model #'s, and also have some missing model #'s.

Hi Mibble, thanks for answering. Unfortunately, that's not the problem. I have all the model numbers in place, and they're all unique (I double-checked using Excel's "Advanced Filter" to make sure). Any other ideas? :)

ETA - I'm using EasyPopulate version 2.76b.

Edited by dreaminggates

I have a problem with EP that seems fairly simple. However, I have never seen it discussed on this board.

I have uploaded my EP data rather smoothly. Despite having the date in my excel file, when I load file back to osCommerce it does not include the data added to the system.

So, the products display "This product was added to our catalog on ." rather than including a date.

My Webpage

If anyone can post a link to another article or provide some advice that would be great.

Thanks

One of the things I would have a look at is the language file.

Open "catalog/includes/languages/english/product_info.php"

Find - "TEXT_DATE_ADDED" and you should see next to it text that says this "This product was added to our catalog on %s."

So the entire line should look like this "define('TEXT_DATE_ADDED', 'This product was added to our catalog on %s.');"

If the "%s" is not after the word on then the database will not display the date that it was added. Have a go and let me know how you get on.

most likely the date setting in the ep file relating to the specific field. it should be automated.

My Webpage

Thanks

what about categories? do you have them in different ones?

Hi Mibble, thanks for answering. Unfortunately, that's not the problem. I have all the model numbers in place, and they're all unique (I double-checked using Excel's "Advanced Filter" to make sure). Any other ideas? :)

ETA - I'm using EasyPopulate version 2.76b.

most likely the date setting in the ep file relating to the specific field. it should be automated.

what about categories? do you have them in different ones?

Good call Mibble. I just left out the date added column in my upload spreadsheet, and the system entered today's data automatically! Thanks

Content deleted

Edited by Mibble

I'll try this one more time:

Is there a way to have it export a complete txt file except without the attribute info?

Can anyone help me with this? I basically would like for it to export everything except the attribute stuff. Can it be done?

Anyone?