• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

First off, this is an excellent time saver! Second, I didn't see this question asked so I apoligize if I missed it. If I did miss it, please refer me to the proper post. Thanks!

So my dilema, my distributor has something like 14,000 products. This should be a simple task for EP, but my distributor uses different header names. For example, OSCommerce calls the product name: "v_products_name_1" however my distributor calls it "smShortDesc" The simple answer is upon each upload I suppose I can go through and manually change each header name, but that can be time consuming to do once a month, and cause catastrophe if I miss one header column.

So the question is, is there any way that in the code an option can be written to handle this such problem? A mod to a mod, I suppose, perhaps a configuration file where it says if the header = "smShortDesc" then insert into "v_products_name_1"

Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks in advance!

Oh By The Way, if it matters... Easy Populate 2.76i and osCommerce v2.2 RC2 on a Linux freebsd.

Edited by grumpydasmurf

Grumpy

Let us start from scratch - Oscommerce version is oscdark contribution - ver 2.2 RC1, add-ons are AlertPay_v1_01, Bank Transfer Payment Contribution_1c, EP_v2_76h_MS2, oscThumb, ppc-2008-10-19-V2.5.5 - full install, Random_Pro, server timezone fix 1.0, Shipping_SAPO_Fix, Speed Servicesv2-corrected-30kg and terms_acceptance_release_310708. I also have had to install 2 other files, 1 PHP file for a datafeed to a shopping website as well as googlehostedservices.html, so that my email will work.

I am running Windows XP SP3 updated with the latest updates, MS Office 2007 professional, Firefox 3.5.6 and Filezilla 3.3.0.1

The basic details from EP in admin are : EP vers: 2.76h-MS2, osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1, OS:, HTTP: Apache, DB: MySQL 5.0.88, PHP: 5.2.10 , (Zend: 2.2.0)

I have followed the instructions word for word on all contributions as I am a NOOB at this,having only set up my own website from scratch in April this year on a different host and server and eventually got everything to work with a few mishaps and reload from scratches, after also having to search the forums/Google for errors or Mods I wanted.

I do think this server is newer than the previous one I used, I seem to remember that the MySql and PHP versions were 4 point something.

I have searched this thread(25 results)as well as the oscommerce site(400 pages of which I have read the first 40) for a solution, but it seems every time someone had the same problem, it was never answered/resolved.

The CSV files I am uploading are the ones I had on my other site, which as I said was working fine until I somehow violated their TOS and they shut down my account, causing me to lose everything except the files I had on my own PC(my Backup was online on their server)

This is why I have had to do a complete re-install on this server and host, first changing my DNS before being able to do anything!

In my Oscommerce admin it shows all my products,and they are listed as active, but on the website the products only show if you click on an item that is listed on the front page.If you try to navigate through a category or sub-category(some items are in a first level category with no sub-categories, and the rest are in a sub-category, also with no extra sub-categories in that), it shows that you are in the sub-category according to the category listing on the left hand side, but no products come up - in other words, as soon as you get to a level where there are meant to be products, no products show up.

I have gone through all the documentation again and did notice that there were 2 things I neglected to do, but those have now been done(I was using an older version of Oscommerce, so had to load 1 extra Tables file and run the MySql query.

When I try to upload and split with one CSV file, it adds only 15 records, instead of the almost 1200 in the file. The second file I have has about 900 items and when I try to upload and split that one, it does about 315. These might be due to server timeouts, which was a similar problem I had with my previous host(although only when I got to about 1200 products in one CSV file), that is when I figured out I could just upload a CSV file into the temp directory on the server before importing it via the admin.

Our Internet connections are not that fast,and I feel this is one reason why we are hitting time-outs. I tried the time-out fixes mentioned in the support database when I was with my other host, but it did not make any difference, so I resorted to the method mentioned in the paragraph above.

My site is at http://russalpc.co.za

I hope I have given enough info for someone to understand my problem and system used.

Many thanks in anticipation

Russel

@grumpydasmurf

this sounds like exactly the same situation i found myself in. EP does allow the populating of extra fields so no probs there. have a look through the docs and you come across a section that talks about how EP handles this.

in the mean time you'll want ti install http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6856

this allows you to create extra product fields which can then in turn be populated by EP. once you start reading about this you see it all makes sense.

also.... if you want to change the column headers on your distributers csv file i have a scrip (untested) that will run though your file and change it to what ever you want. so all you need to do is set this to run automatically and your away..

however... i too am stuck! i cannot make the 'Extra fields' contrib work properly even though from looking through the forums no one else seems to have any trouble with it.

perhaps we can help each other out here??? if you manage to get the extra fields contrib working, perhaps we can do a swap for the column header change script... well to be honest you can have that anyway... i'm just hoping someone will help me!! :lol:

Zac, thanks for the help. I will look intot he mod you suggested and see if I can install it on my test site.

I'd love to see your script! and since we are talking about scripts I'd also love to see a script that does a cople things to the price. 1) examines the price my distributor is selling the items, then multiplies by a variable, let's say 1.4, then checks to see the M.A.P. price which is basically the minimum I can legally resell the item for, and choose to use the higher number. for example if the MAP is higher than the base price * 1.4 it'll use the map. Or if the base price *1.4 is higher than the MAP it'll use the custom variable... anyways, I was going to post that elsewhere and probably will.

I was reading through all the documentation and config file, but my brains get fried after 30 minutes of reading LOL. I'll post tomorrow if I am able to make the mod work.

Grumpy

yes i see what you mean about the price. i too have some deciding to do about this, although my situation sounds a little simpler than yours..

i've sent you a message with the link to the file i was talking about. my php coding skills are real simple but you should be able to see what’s going on with this script, I’ve also added some comments.

hope this helps.

unfortunately i'm now near a pc for all of wed (maybe wed eve).

anyway let me know how you get on

zac

@grumpydasmurf

this sounds like exactly the same situation i found myself in. EP does allow the populating of extra fields so no probs there. have a look through the docs and you come across a section that talks about how EP handles this.

in the mean time you'll want ti install http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6856

this allows you to create extra product fields which can then in turn be populated by EP. once you start reading about this you see it all makes sense.

also.... if you want to change the column headers on your distributers csv file i have a scrip (untested) that will run though your file and change it to what ever you want. so all you need to do is set this to run automatically and your away..

however... i too am stuck! i cannot make the 'Extra fields' contrib work properly even though from looking through the forums no one else seems to have any trouble with it.

perhaps we can help each other out here??? if you manage to get the extra fields contrib working, perhaps we can do a swap for the column header change script... well to be honest you can have that anyway... i'm just hoping someone will help me!! :lol:

that contribution is not the extra fields contribution EP was setup for. This is the Extra Fields this contrib was setup to work with: http://www.oscommerc...y/contributions,2202. Having said that, the contrib you are using looks like it might be a better solution (if it works). I personally don't like contributions adding and removing fields from the database tables though.

You should be able to setup support for your extra fields using the config time designed for custom fields in the products_description table.

if that is a handy script for renaming columns headers, sharing would be a nice thing to do (in the EP downloads).

Edited by surfalot

on page 406 I reposted to the reply: (no answer, and the suggestion didn;t work. That is why I am asking again...)

Posted Today, 02:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

lifeline, on 17 December 2009 - 04:55 AM, said:

Easy Populate Version 2.76i-MS2 file splitting does not work. The file split function does not work:

I have this same problem too but I did notice that if I upload the file to my temp directory that it will actually split the file for you. After you do the upload browse and select the file as you usually would and it'll find the file and split it for you. I assume the upload fails some where along the way but manually uploading it seems to solve the problem. It's not ideal but it works.

Dan

Thanks for replying Dan,

I have tried to upload the file to temp/ folder and then pushing the browse and reselecting the same file to the "Upload and Split EP File" field. The file appears, but when I push the "split file" button, it times out on me, just like it was for "Upload and Import EP File". Is there any settings I should be aware of or special procedure to get the File Split to work?

Thanks

dawson

if you are having timeout problems then my suggestion in post 8120 should take care of it. If it didn't, the appropriate thing to do is to reply to my post acknowledging you saw it and say it didn't help, rather then just ignoring it. If you just want to ignore the help, good luck.:P

BTW, your links to your upload file don't work, so you haven't completed the list of item I would need to help.

Edited by surfalot

Let us start from scratch - Oscommerce version is oscdark contribution - ver 2.2 RC1, add-ons are AlertPay_v1_01, Bank Transfer Payment Contribution_1c, EP_v2_76h_MS2, oscThumb, ppc-2008-10-19-V2.5.5 - full install, Random_Pro, server timezone fix 1.0, Shipping_SAPO_Fix, Speed Servicesv2-corrected-30kg and terms_acceptance_release_310708. I also have had to install 2 other files, 1 PHP file for a datafeed to a shopping website as well as googlehostedservices.html, so that my email will work.

I am running Windows XP SP3 updated with the latest updates, MS Office 2007 professional, Firefox 3.5.6 and Filezilla 3.3.0.1

The basic details from EP in admin are : EP vers: 2.76h-MS2, osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1, OS:, HTTP: Apache, DB: MySQL 5.0.88, PHP: 5.2.10 , (Zend: 2.2.0)

I have followed the instructions word for word on all contributions as I am a NOOB at this,having only set up my own website from scratch in April this year on a different host and server and eventually got everything to work with a few mishaps and reload from scratches, after also having to search the forums/Google for errors or Mods I wanted.

I do think this server is newer than the previous one I used, I seem to remember that the MySql and PHP versions were 4 point something.

I have searched this thread(25 results)as well as the oscommerce site(400 pages of which I have read the first 40) for a solution, but it seems every time someone had the same problem, it was never answered/resolved.

The CSV files I am uploading are the ones I had on my other site, which as I said was working fine until I somehow violated their TOS and they shut down my account, causing me to lose everything except the files I had on my own PC(my Backup was online on their server)

This is why I have had to do a complete re-install on this server and host, first changing my DNS before being able to do anything!

In my Oscommerce admin it shows all my products,and they are listed as active, but on the website the products only show if you click on an item that is listed on the front page.If you try to navigate through a category or sub-category(some items are in a first level category with no sub-categories, and the rest are in a sub-category, also with no extra sub-categories in that), it shows that you are in the sub-category according to the category listing on the left hand side, but no products come up - in other words, as soon as you get to a level where there are meant to be products, no products show up.

I have gone through all the documentation again and did notice that there were 2 things I neglected to do, but those have now been done(I was using an older version of Oscommerce, so had to load 1 extra Tables file and run the MySql query.

When I try to upload and split with one CSV file, it adds only 15 records, instead of the almost 1200 in the file. The second file I have has about 900 items and when I try to upload and split that one, it does about 315. These might be due to server timeouts, which was a similar problem I had with my previous host(although only when I got to about 1200 products in one CSV file), that is when I figured out I could just upload a CSV file into the temp directory on the server before importing it via the admin.

Our Internet connections are not that fast,and I feel this is one reason why we are hitting time-outs. I tried the time-out fixes mentioned in the support database when I was with my other host, but it did not make any difference, so I resorted to the method mentioned in the paragraph above.

My site is at http://russalpc.co.za

I hope I have given enough info for someone to understand my problem and system used.

Many thanks in anticipation

Russel

great explanation, but all I need to help is in the "how to ask for help" section of the EP docs. COMPLETE that list in ONE post, and I may be able to help. It's not that tough (looking at you lifeline<_<), lots of folks have done it. If your upload file is sensitive, you can PM the link to me (with all the other details I asked for).

As a fair warning to all. This script (and osCommerce in general) has the potential to violate your host TOS if; your host has a low server CPU usage percentage, you have 1000 or more products and use EP often, you have a lot of contribs installed, your host has a remote database server and limits your queries.

There are osCommerce friendly hosts out there. They generally WON'T be the big guys that give great entry level pricing deals. Those hosts usually have those aforementioned server and database limits that are not osCommerce friendly. Choose your host wisely, talk to them first about osCommerce.

A host that will just kill your account and leave you with nothing deserves to be flamed here and everywhere!

I use Prohostone.net. They have been really good to me and I never experience bandwidth issues. I used the other big names before and found that most of the time my site was competing for bandwidth on overloaded servers. I now am getting better rankings and people actually visiting my site!

Matt

Hi All,

I have about over 1000 products with attributes which i had uploaded using easy populate (ep 2.76c-MS2) couple of years ago. I have a need for uploading additional products now but somehow, that version stopped working.

I downloaded Easy Populate 2.76i-MS2 on osCommerce 2.2-MS2 thinking maybe an update to the latest version would help. I can upload a product without any problems, but attributes don't get uploaded. I've tried uploading the product along with attributes together and also using just the model/attributes format. same result, only the product info gets uploaded, but not the attributes.

As a test, this is what i did:

I downloaded a fresh copy of complete csv file from the database using ep export.

I then proceed to remove all rows from the csv file except for last row and then edit that row to add a TEST product by only changing the product id, name and description. I save the file as a csv file and upload using ep and it shows the result as being added.

However, when i check on the front end for the test product, it shows the test product but not the attributes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used Windows with open office.

Link to my test csv file.

Below is my settings:

Settings & Info

EP vers: 2.76i-MS2

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

HTTP: WebServerX

DB: MySQL 5.0.81-community

PHP: 4.4.9 (Zend: 1.3.0)

Temp Directory:

/home/mydirname/public_html/temp/

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

register_globals is: off

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 7

Enable attributes: true

SEF Froogle URLS: false

Other Support:

MVS Support: false

Additional Images: false

More Pics: false

UltraPics Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

PDF Upload: false

Edited by a_khan69

Hi All,

I have about over 1000 products with attributes which i had uploaded using easy populate (ep 2.76c-MS2) couple of years ago. I have a need for uploading additional products now but somehow, that version stopped working.

I downloaded Easy Populate 2.76i-MS2 on osCommerce 2.2-MS2 thinking maybe an update to the latest version would help. I can upload a product without any problems, but attributes don't get uploaded. I've tried uploading the product along with attributes together and also using just the model/attributes format. same result, only the product info gets uploaded, but not the attributes.

As a test, this is what i did:

I downloaded a fresh copy of complete csv file from the database using ep export.

I then proceed to remove all rows from the csv file except for last row and then edit that row to add a TEST product by only changing the product id, name and description. I save the file as a csv file and upload using ep and it shows the result as being added.

However, when i check on the front end for the test product, it shows the test product but not the attributes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

there's a problem with the data. you have v_attribute_options_id_1 = 0 and the following column: v_attribute_options_name_1_1 is blank. EP doesn't like that. If you change v_attribute_options_id_1 to 1 and v_attribute_options_name_1_1 to something other then blank, it will import fine. hope that helps.

Edited by surfalot

there's a problem with the data. you have v_attribute_options_id_1 = 0 and the following column: v_attribute_options_name_1_1 is blank. EP doesn't like that. If you change v_attribute_options_id_1 to 1 and v_attribute_options_name_1_1 to something other then blank, it will import fine. hope that helps.

Wow, that was it! it uploaded without any problems!

Thanks so much for you help.

Wow, that was it! it uploaded without any problems!

Thanks so much for you help.

I seem to remember someone else with a similar problem. They found an "Option" in the attributes manager that was blank. After he deleted that blank Option, he could export and import without missing attributes. You might want to look for that, but backup before deleting it just in case.

that contribution is not the extra fields contribution EP was setup for. This is the Extra Fields this contrib was setup to work with: http://www.oscommerc...y/contributions,2202. Having said that, the contrib you are using looks like it might be a better solution (if it works). I personally don't like contributions adding and removing fields from the database tables though.

You should be able to setup support for your extra fields using the config time designed for custom fields in the products_description table.

if that is a handy script for renaming columns headers, sharing would be a nice thing to do (in the EP downloads).

yes true, but, from reading through the docs it shouldnt really matter how the extra fields are created so long as you use the correct id for the fields.

however seen as i'm having so much trouble installing the 'extra' mod would you mind reposting the link in a readable format - i think the forum deletes external links.

i'll take a look, maybe that's the better option for me.

zac

P.S, once ive fully tested the column chnage script i'll upload for sharing. however if anyone wants to test for me please let me know and i'll send you a download link for it.

Settings & Info

EP vers: 2.76h-MS2

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1

HTTP: Apache

DB: MySQL 5.0.88

PHP: 5.2.10 (Zend: 2.2.0)

Temp Directory:

/home/vhosts/russalpc.co.za/temp/

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

register_globals is: off

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 2

Enable attributes: false

SEF Froogle URLS: false

More Pics: false

Unknown Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

In my Oscommerce admin it shows all my products,and they are listed as active, but on the website the products only show if you click on an item that is listed on the front page.

If you try to navigate through a category or sub-category(some items are in a first level category with no sub-categories, and the rest are in a sub-category, also with no extra sub-categories in that), it shows that you are in the sub-category according to the category listing on the left hand side, but no products come up - in other words, as soon as you get to a level where there are meant to be products, no products show up.

My site : http://russalpc.co.za/temp/EP2009Dec23-1010(3).csv

Is that all that is required?

Russel

I seem to remember someone else with a similar problem. They found an "Option" in the attributes manager that was blank. After he deleted that blank Option, he could export and import without missing attributes. You might want to look for that, but backup before deleting it just in case.

Ok thanks. I'll check it out.

have you seen this in the settings of easypopulate.php?

//**** File Splitting Configuration ****
// we attempt to set the timeout limit longer for this script to avoid having to split the files
// NOTE: If your server is running in safe mode, this setting cannot override the timeout set in php.ini
// uncomment this if you are not on a safe mode server and you are getting timeouts
// set_time_limit(330);

if that doesn't help, ask your host if you are able to do the same in a php.ini file. More info on this is available in step 6 of the install notes in the docs.

Thanks for your response.

Sorry I missed this posting. My bad. So many postings get listed, it is easy to overlook.

I have gone over timeout settings during installation. My host presets to 60 seconds for time out and is in safe mode. I have no access to php.ini from control panel and thus cannot make any adjustments.

I did go over my file and the status column was in the wrong place. I corrected the file and retried. However, it still does not work. The samething is happenning: page just resets itself after a long hold (progress bar moving during this time).

Let me send you the link in PM of the complete file (9,876 products). Spent many days now. At this point I would die to get it to work.

Your help is much appreciated.

Dawson

@lifeline - I had the same problem at my previous host together with our slow broadband lines(it used to time-out with 1000 items in a file), so I did a work around, consisting of me splitting the files manually at about 1000 items, making sure each file is named EP_Split1.csv, EP_Split2.csv and so on, also ensuring that the first line in each file has the same headings in as the original download file(otherwise you would lose that product).

Using your FTP program you then just copy the files into your catalog/temp folder, and then go to your online Admin as you normally would to "upload and split" and go to where it says "import EP file from Temp Dir", and just load the 10 files that would now be there.

Hope this helps

Russel

yes true, but, from reading through the docs it shouldnt really matter how the extra fields are created so long as you use the correct id for the fields.

however seen as i'm having so much trouble installing the 'extra' mod would you mind reposting the link in a readable format - i think the forum deletes external links.

i'll take a look, maybe that's the better option for me.

zac

P.S, once ive fully tested the column chnage script i'll upload for sharing. however if anyone wants to test for me please let me know and i'll send you a download link for it.

the important part was still there contrib #2202

In my Oscommerce admin it shows all my products,and they are listed as active, but on the website the products only show if you click on an item that is listed on the front page.

If you try to navigate through a category or sub-category(some items are in a first level category with no sub-categories, and the rest are in a sub-category, also with no extra sub-categories in that), it shows that you are in the sub-category according to the category listing on the left hand side, but no products come up - in other words, as soon as you get to a level where there are meant to be products, no products show up.

My site : http://russalpc.co.z...c23-1010(3).csv

Is that all that is required?

Russel

that file seems in order. so you are saying the products in this file show up in the root instead of the sub categories specified? it's importing fine for me with v2.76i

Thanks for your response.

Sorry I missed this posting. My bad. So many postings get listed, it is easy to overlook.

I have gone over timeout settings during installation. My host presets to 60 seconds for time out and is in safe mode. I have no access to php.ini from control panel and thus cannot make any adjustments.

I did go over my file and the status column was in the wrong place. I corrected the file and retried. However, it still does not work. The samething is happenning: page just resets itself after a long hold (progress bar moving during this time).

Let me send you the link in PM of the complete file (9,876 products). Spent many days now. At this point I would die to get it to work.

Your help is much appreciated.

Dawson

if you are not sure how to create a file called php.ini, talk to your host for help doing so. you don't need a control panel to create a file called php.ini and upload it with the setting offered in the docs. Of course this will not work if you are hosted on Windoz. Any apache host this should work on, unless your host doesn't allow it. In which case you should also be talking to your host about it. If your host doesn't allow you to override the php.ini, or allow you to change the timeout via php (also suggested), then your only option it to manually split it or find a new host.

Also looks like your file is 10Mb in size so you will also have problems with the file upload limit in the php.ini (solution also mentioned in the docs). Step 6 in the install instructions was written just for you :thumbsup: talk to your host about making those changes or find a that will work with you.

Edited by surfalot

if you are not sure how to create a file called php.ini, talk to your host for help doing so. you don't need a control panel to create a file called php.ini and upload it with the setting offered in the docs. Of course this will not work if you are hosted on Windoz. Any apache host this should work on, unless your host doesn't allow it. In which case you should also be talking to your host about it. If your host doesn't allow you to override the php.ini, or allow you to change the timeout via php (also suggested), then your only option it to manually split it or find a new host.

Also looks like your file is 10Mb in size so you will also have problems with the file upload limit in the php.ini (solution also mentioned in the docs). Step 6 in the install instructions was written just for you :thumbsup: talk to your host about making those changes or find a that will work with you.

I uploaded a php.ini containing this on my system and it split your file just fine:

max_execution_time = 180 ;
post_max_size = 20M ;
upload_max_filesize = 20M ;
memory_limit = 24M ;

Edited by surfalot