• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

UPDATE!!!:

mainly for 'geoffreywalton' currently create all the mysql queries require to import products, categories and manufacturers now. Now to insert it all inot php. Its going to be no where near as functional as EP but will do what i need it to do for my needs, it has helped me learn PHP/mysql really quickly and understand alot of the functions.

Will keep you update for your sweepstake geoffreywalton. :D

My database programmer guy made me an Filemaker File, where I'm running into some problems.... well 1 Big Problem.

I'm not very knowlegdable in Databases (i know how things run, and can modify easy stuff but not program it, just basic understanding)

However we ran into one big big problem, and I was hoping you guys might know what to do?!?

All else works flawlessly, except Attributes / options.

-When making Attributes / options -

They don't display correctly what I put in the Filemaker DB, when I export it from Filemaker then Import it to EP.

1. I got 3 options (a/b/c) / attributes per product.

For example.

1. Product1: SHIRT

Options A

Black

White

Blue

Grey

Option B

Small

Medium

Large

Option C

Longsleeve

ShortSleeve

Product 2: Jeans

Option A:

Grey

Blue

Pink

Option B

Small

XXL

Option C

Short Pants

Long Pants

Problem when I insert those fields and veriables into Filemaker, it is no problem, only when exporting them to an .txt file, then importing them into EP, the attributes get screwed up and don't display correctly. The Attributes from Product 1 and from Product 2 gets mixed up.

Would you have any possible solution or experience how to handle that in such a way that EP can select it...

Please help! My database guy is searching for solution but we haven't found one so far and it's getting alittle frustrating :(

Edited by chriz777

the attributes can be tricky with EP, the best advice I can offer here is to manually add a few products, do an export with EP and compare the export with your filemaker import to ensure you are conforming to the EP format.

It is possible with EP add in catalogue thousands MP3 files?

In EP exist possibility to specify name files in download folders? like in oscommerce "Catalog" - "Products Attributes" - "Filename:"

Thank you and Sorry for my english ;)

Okay I have been trying to change my product model length all day. I can change it in the admin/easypopulate.php file easy but how do I change it on my database.

Also I read through but did not see a response. Is there a way to make EP work with the contribution to show MSRP & Saving's???????

Thank you very much sorry!

Edited by boostanddestroy

noob-

Okay I have been trying to change my product model length all day. I can change it in the admin/easypopulate.php file easy but how do I change it on my database.

Also I read through but did not see a response. Is there a way to make EP work with the contribution to show MSRP & Saving's???????

Thank you very much sorry!

To my knowledge, MSRP & Saving's contribution has not been worked out. But take a thorough look through the EP contribution page to make sure.

You can change the length model number in the table: products, field: products_model. I would recommend using phpMyAdmin (usually supplied by your host) if you are unfamiliar with creating SQL.

Edited by surfalot

To my knowledge, MSRP & Saving's contribution has not been worked out. But take a thorough look through the EP contribution page to make sure.

You can change the length model number in the table: products, field: products_model. I would recommend using phpMyAdmin (usually supplied by your host) if you are unfamiliar with creating SQL.

What folder is the products, field: products_model in ????? I am just using Cpanel file manager V3

noob-

Can someone please tell me how to get to my products_model please! I am using cpanel file manager V3. Where can I find that directory to edit this stuff. Thank you!

Getting insistant isn't going to help. ;)

I just told you where. phpMyAdmin (supplied by your host (did you ask your host?)). If you are using cPanel, it is a link from your main cPanel page, under the database group. The database doesn't reside in any folder on your website. the database (MySQL) is a service that is managed from within cPanel. phpMyAdmin is a script designed to give you a higher level of management control over your database. You will need to get confortable using it if you intend on using easy populate.

So, you navagate to phpMyAdmin, you click on the correct database, you click on the products table, you click to edit the products_model field, change the length of the field to suit, save. Will that get you there?

When the EP docs says to backup your database before using EP, it means to use phpMyAdmin (for cPanel and 80% of the hosts out there) to BACKUP your database. Practice the backup and restore with phpMyAdmin, YOU WILL NEED IT.

Edited by surfalot

Good Morning, hopefully I've missed something obvious and this is an easy thing to fix.

I'm running OSCommerce 2.2 RC2, installed through cPanel, and have installed Easy Populate 2.71-MS2 en : English(1). The only other customisation that has been done on the store has been the basic design pack 2.5 and changes to the css file to skin it to look like the rest of my site.

Oscommerce is installed into /catalog under the root of the website and a /catalog/temp directory has been created with 777 as the permissions.

Now the problem, when I click on any of the links on the Easy Populate Admin page

Download EP and Froogle Files

Download complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Download Model/Price/Qty tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Download Model/Category tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Download FROGGLE tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Download Model/Attributes tab-delimited .txt file to edit

Create EP and Froogle Files in Temp Dir (/catalog/temp/)

Createcomplete tab-delimited .txt file to edit

CreateModel/Price/Qty tab-delimited .txt file to edit

CreateModel/Category tab-delimited .txt file to edit

CreateFROGGLE tab-delimited .txt file to edit

CreateModel/Attributes tab-delimited .txt file to edit

A blank page comes up, then I go back to the admin page. No file is downloaded or created in the temp dir.

I've done some searching with Google, and in this thread and can't seem to find any reference to this problem. No products other than the standard products you get with a vanilla install are in the store.

thanks for the assistance. Hopefully I've provided enough information.

Kire

Hello VJ,

I have tested the latest version of Easy Populate using product attributes. Seems to work fine for me. Do you think it would be possible to add a suffix to a product part# based on the attibute that is selected? For example the base part is V295 and if the customer chooses attribute #1 then I want the part# to be V295.QC. Does this make sense?

Also is it possible to add a field where I can add a description to the Product Catagories and have it displayed on the shop pages?

I only ask since these features would be related to the Easy Populate contribution. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Getting insistant isn't going to help. ;)

I just told you where. phpMyAdmin (supplied by your host (did you ask your host?)). If you are using cPanel, it is a link from your main cPanel page, under the database group. The database doesn't reside in any folder on your website. the database (MySQL) is a service that is managed from within cPanel. phpMyAdmin is a script designed to give you a higher level of management control over your database. You will need to get confortable using it if you intend on using easy populate.

So, you navagate to phpMyAdmin, you click on the correct database, you click on the products table, you click to edit the products_model field, change the length of the field to suit, save. Will that get you there?

When the EP docs says to backup your database before using EP, it means to use phpMyAdmin (for cPanel and 80% of the hosts out there) to BACKUP your database. Practice the backup and restore with phpMyAdmin, YOU WILL NEED IT.

Thank you so much! I am sorry for being so impatient, just seems everything I touch this week is falling apart or just not working. Thank you for reply I appreciate it.

Okay so I am now in phpmyadmin, and I already backed it up by exporting it. I now went to products and then clicked on products_model

The settings it has is

FROM 'products'

ORDER BY 'products','products_model' DESC

LIMIT 0,30

I assume that the limit is what needs to be changed correct? 30 will be plenty enough for my but does the 30 mean that it has already been changed???

Regards

Chisholm

Edited by boostanddestroy

noob-

after you clicked on the products table, you will see a list of fields on the right, find products_model, click the pencil icon on the same row as products_model field, change the "length" of the field, then save. The default field length is 12.

Then make sure you set the setting in the easypopulate.php file to match the above length.

Hello

I am using the Easy Populate Contribution in my shop and it works perfectly! I am using MS2.2 and I also use product attributes. No problems here! Thanks VJ!!!!

just thought I'd mention that VJ hasn't been part of this since 2003. :P

OK I'm having a problem in my admin panel. this keeps appearing, I noticed Stu posted here a few days ago about assistance with easypopulate and the difficulty we were having bulk uploading products, however I figured that issue out. But I'm getting this error

1146 - Table 'onlinestore.orders' doesn't exist

select o.orders_id, o.customers_name, greatest(o.date_purchased, ifnull(o.last_modified, 0)) as date_last_modified, s.orders_status_name, ot.text as order_total from orders o, orders_total ot, orders_status s where o.orders_id = ot.orders_id and ot.class = 'ot_total' and o.orders_status = s.orders_status_id and s.language_id = '1' order by date_last_modified desc limit 6

[TEP STOP]

Is this table needed in order for people to purchase products from me?

Also, Is there an EASIER way to set attributes to my products other than one by one. I have almost 3000 products :S

Please understand I am on a learning curve here, if at all possible, please go easy on me! LoL!

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much!

Kimberly

kimssignaturefx9.jpg

I'm having a hard time understanding how you could get that error using easy populate. easy populate should never access the orders or customers tables. But yes, the order table is necessary for osCommerce functionality, but not easy populate though.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you could get that error using easy populate. easy populate should never access the orders or customers tables. But yes, the order table is necessary for osCommerce functionality, but not easy populate though.

Ok Thank you. I'm not sure even how to create this table and make it function correctly.

Can you suggest a module for making things easier for setting the attributes for my products? I have ALOT of products. my site is www.bytesnkisz.com. my problem is I have shoes/boots in 3-8 different colors and different sizes in each color. I would love to know of a module that would help me. Thanks so much!

Kim

kimssignaturefx9.jpg

Ok Thank you. I'm not sure even how to create this table and make it function correctly.

Can you suggest a module for making things easier for setting the attributes for my products? I have ALOT of products. my site is www.bytesnkisz.com. my problem is I have shoes/boots in 3-8 different colors and different sizes in each color. I would love to know of a module that would help me. Thanks so much!

Kim

the best module for attributes is the AJAX attribute manager contribution. easy populate can be used, but my personal feeling is that easy populate's attributes are a bit convoluted. But some can work with it just fine. Do some orders manually and export using EP. Examine the structure and decide for yourself.

Hi I'm an absolute newbie to Os Commerce, Easy Populate and all programming in general and I need some help.

I've gone through pages of this thread trying to find an answer and probably missed it so I apologise if my problem has already been covered previously.

I've downloaded a copy of the sample products/catogories that comes with OsCommerce and added my own products to it using excel. I've kept all the catogories the same.

When I upload it using Easy Populate as a .txt file it gives me the impression it's all loaded fine...

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /var/tmp/phpXC4a8M

User filename: EP2009Jan22-0404.csv

Size: 25000

but nothing is loaded??

Is someone able to tell me what I'm doing wrong?? Have I missed something??

Thank you in advance

Jodee