• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

OK. So would I be correct to assume that I am not able to simply export products, update info such as price or product description, then import it with the same model number so the updated info is reflected on my site?

that would be incorrect.

Ok good. Any ideas why when I reimport a product after adding a product description nothing happens? I keep everything exactly the same, the only change I make is adding a product description.

see post 7301

see post 7301

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I may be a bit confused though. When I update a product in my store, lets say for instance the model number is 811 and the product is Mens Fitness magazine, when I export the product with EP, add a product description, and then import back into my store nothing happens. The product I am importing is still model number 811, Mens Fitness magazine. There are no other products in my store with the model number 811... only Mens Fitness magazine. Am I missing something else?

Sorry for all the posts, I appreciate your quick replies!

the main cause for product appearing not to update is duplicate products with the same model number.

Have you tried to change the model number to create a new product, then update that new product? same result?

I run your test CSV and it works just fine on my test site. First creates a new product, then again and it updates the product. Virtually the same setup except my MySQL is a little newer.

the main cause for product appearing not to update is duplicate products with the same model number.

Have you tried to change the model number to create a new product, then update that new product? same result?

I run your test CSV and it works just fine on my test site. First creates a new product, then again and it updates the product. Virtually the same setup except my MySQL is a little newer.

Thanks for checking this. I have changed the model number which resulted in duplicate products, though the new product did have the updated product description. The problem I have with this though, besides the fact that I have duplicate products, is the one that is updated and includes the product description now has a new URL. My goal is to just have one product that can be updated, keeping the same original URL for SEO purposes.

I understand that. I wanted the result of a test, that is, if you create another product with a new model number, will the subsequent import update that new product. or is it the same result of not getting updated.

I understand that. I wanted the result of a test, that is, if you create another product with a new model number, will the subsequent import update that new product. or is it the same result of not getting updated.

When I change the model number and re-import it by choosing "update only", nothing ends up gettting updated.

When I re-import it by choosing "normal" it imports the product (creating a duplicate of course) with the new model number that I just gave it, along with the modification to the description that I created.

When I export now, and make and edit to the new product that was created, then re-import it using the "update only" function, it correctly updates the information for me... doing exactly what I need it to do.

Any ideas? Thanks again!!

So you want to use easypopulate to remove products, but keep the images. Then you would change the tep_remove_product() in /admin/includes/functions/general.php

comment the line:

@unlink(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image']);

This will also prevent osCommerce from removing images when you delete the products in the osCommerce admin.

Thanks Buddy!

When I change the model number and re-import it by choosing "update only", nothing ends up gettting updated.

When I re-import it by choosing "normal" it imports the product (creating a duplicate of course) with the new model number that I just gave it, along with the modification to the description that I created.

When I export now, and make and edit to the new product that was created, then re-import it using the "update only" function, it correctly updates the information for me... doing exactly what I need it to do.

Any ideas? Thanks again!!

OK, so it won't update existing products, but it will update a new products that we know is unique. I want you to try this. run this query in your SQL tool (phpMyAdmin).

select * from products where products_model = 'xxxx';

Replace xxxx with the model number of the existing product you've been testing with. Tell me how many rows you get back.

There is no need to select update only. Just use normal.

If you don't get any rows, check the model number of the product in your admin for any spaces before or after the model number in the products_model field.

Edited by surfalot

OK, so it won't update existing products, but it will update a new products that we know is unique. I want you to try this. run this query in your SQL tool (phpMyAdmin).

Replace xxxx with the model number of the existing product you've been testing with. Tell me how many rows you get back.

If you don't get any rows, check the model number of the product in your admin for any spaces before or after the model number in the products_model field.

I just got the one row of data for the product. Thanks!

I just wanted to clarify that the one row of data I received was in fact the product I have been testing with. I am assuming this is a good sign...

I just wanted to clarify that the one row of data I received was in fact the product I have been testing with. I am assuming this is a good sign...

depends on how you look at it. Its bad since it furthers the mystery.

So, just to recap, you can create a new product and update those using EP, you can't update an existing product and the existing product can be verified as both unique and can be correctly queried from within phpMyAdmin, and the model numbers are all numeric characters. You got me stumped.

You CAN export and re-import using EP and retain the product id. We've discussed it not more then a few months ago here. All you need to do is add "products_id" to the custom configuration for the products table (settings at the top of easypopulate.php).

Backup before you try it, and thoroughly investigate the results before moving on.

All you need to do is a full export with the products_id in the file, clear your products_ tables and import them back.

Hello!

I have just downloaded EP and tested it on a fresh osc RC2 in a local server, I downloaded a complete file of the default products that comes with osc, but in the excel file i found that all the text of each product is ONE cell !

This is the first and second excel rows ( CELL A1 and A2) other columns are empty

v_products_model,v_products_name_4,v_products_description_4,v_products_url_4,v_p
roducts_image,v_products_price,v_products_quantity,v_products_weight,v_date_avai
l
,v_date_added,v_categories_image_1,v_categories_name_1_4,v_categories_image_2,v_
c
ategories_name_2_4,v_categories_image_3,v_categories_name_3_4,v_categories_image
_
4,v_categories_name_4_4,v_categories_image_5,v_categories_name_5_4,v_categories_
i
mage_6,v_categories_name_6_4,v_categories_image_7,v_categories_name_7_4,v_manufa
c
turers_name,v_attribute_options_id_1,v_attribute_options_name_1_4,v_attribute_op
t
ions_id_2,v_attribute_options_name_2_4,v_attribute_options_id_3,v_attribute_opti
o
ns_name_3_4,v_attribute_values_id_3_1,v_attribute_values_name_3_1_4,v_attribute_
v
alues_price_3_1,v_attribute_values_id_3_2,v_attribute_values_name_3_2_4,v_attrib
u
te_values_price_3_2,v_attribute_values_id_3_3,v_attribute_values_name_3_3_4,v_at
t
ribute_values_price_3_3,v_attribute_values_id_3_4,v_attribute_values_name_3_4_4,
v
_attribute_values_price_3_4,v_attribute_values_id_3_5,v_attribute_values_name_3_
_4,v_attribute_values_price_3_5,v_attribute_options_id_4,v_attribute_options_nam
e
_4_4,v_attribute_values_id_4_1,v_attribute_values_name_4_1_4,v_attribute_values_
p
rice_4_1,v_attribute_values_id_4_2,v_attribute_values_name_4_2_4,v_attribute_val
u
es_price_4_2,v_attribute_values_id_4_3,v_attribute_values_name_4_3_4,v_attribute
_
values_price_4_3,v_attribute_values_id_4_4,v_attribute_values_name_4_4_4,v_attri
b
ute_values_price_4_4,v_attribute_options_id_5,v_attribute_options_name_5_4,v_att
r
ibute_values_id_5_1,v_attribute_values_name_5_1_4,v_attribute_values_price_5_1,v
_
attribute_values_id_5_2,v_attribute_values_name_5_2_4,v_attribute_values_price_5
_
2,v_tax_class_title,v_status,EOREOR
MG400-32MB,"Matrox G400 32MB","<b>Dramatically Different High Performance Graphics</b><br><br>Introducing the Millennium G400 Series - a dramatically different, high performance graphics experience. Armed with the industry's fastest graphics chip, the Millennium G400 Series takes explosive acceleration two steps further by adding unprecedented image quality, along with the most versatile display options for all your 3D, 2D and DVD applications. As the most powerful and innovative tools in your PC's arsenal, the Millennium G400 Series will not only change the way you see graphics, but will revolutionize the way you use your computer.<br><br><b>Key features:</b><ul><li>New Matrox G400 256-bit DualBus graphics chip</li><li>Explosive 3D, 2D and DVD performance</li><li>DualHead Display</li><li>Superior DVD and TV output</li><li>3D Environment-Mapped Bump Mapping</li><li>Vibrant Color Quality rendering </li><li>UltraSharp DAC of up to 360 MHz</li><li>3D Rendering Array Processor</li><li>Support for 16 or 32 MB of memory</li></ul>","www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g400/home.htm","matrox/mg400-32mb.gif","499.99","32","23.00","","2009-01-03 01:40:28","category_hardware.gif","Hardware","subcategory_graphic_cards.gif","Graphics Cards","","","","","","","","","","","Matrox","1","Color","2","Size","3","Model","5","Value","","6","Premium","+0.0000","7","Deluxe","+120.0000","8","PS/2","","9","USB","","4","Memory","1","4 mb","","2","8 mb","","3","16 mb","-10.0000","4","32 mb","+0.0000","5","Version","10","Download: Windows - English","","13","Box: Windows - English","","Taxable Goods","Active",EOREOR

Please do you have any idea how to fix this?

Edited by newbie2009

I have just downloaded EP and tested it on a fresh osc RC2 in a local server, I downloaded a complete file of the default products that comes with osc, but in the excel file i found that all the text of each product is ONE cell !

if you are using one of the versions of EP that I uploaded there is a section of the docs called, how to ask for help. please follow those directions for help on this.

wheni try it nothing happens is there anyone on here who could help?

what do you mean, "when you try it". please be more specific about what you are doing. also, see the docs Support section about how to ask for help because knowing your system, settings and versions would be helpful.

Added a new release of EP to the contribs section, its the same coding as Surfalots contribs but added a new file to the admin section that includes an online help section, basically, converted the support documentation into php and made viewable from the admin section, also combined all the documentation into one html file for easier viewing etc.

Any problems let me know.

Added a new release of EP to the contribs section, its the same coding as Surfalots contribs but added a new file to the admin section that includes an online help section, basically, converted the support documentation into php and made viewable from the admin section, also combined all the documentation into one html file for easier viewing etc.

Any problems let me know.

you said you started with 3.0.0 that was abandoned. Then what did you do with my version v2.76d ?

And, why name it the same as a previous version? That just creates confusion when trying to support it.

Edited by surfalot

I confuses me more then helps, but the html docs may help others.

I'm not happy about you publishing my email address with a mailto: link in the docs. There is a very good reason I don't put it anywhere in standard email format.

I see you also buried Support Section with valuable information about how and where to ask for help, then made my email contact prominent link on the index. Not good. I suspect you were just trying to give credit, but went about it all wrong. <_<

I don't mind offering help here, but I don't want a all the emails. This is the most popular contribution available and support contacts need to be controlled.

I don't understand why you would arbitrarily bump the version number up when the code hasn't changed from my 2.76g version. At very least, if you have decided to promote it to a new version for stability reasons, pick a version that hasn't previously existed. ;)

Edited by surfalot

if you are using one of the versions of EP that I uploaded there is a section of the docs called, how to ask for help. please follow those directions for help on this.

I have set Excel safe output to false and this solved the problem define ('EP_EXCEL_SAFE_OUTPUT', false); // default is: true

Thank you a great contribution indeed.

Still enjoying this add-on. But need some help, ive had a quick look to see if anyone has asked about changing the sequence of the header. Ive decided to have multiple copies of EP running on my site for the multiple csv files i get from my different suppliers as the formats are all different. So if anyone has any ideas a way of going about this, it would be greatly appreciated. Ive tried to use excel and set up afew macros to add and rearrange the required feilds but with csv's with ouver 35,000 products it tends to take a while.

Also is there a way to not use the EOREOR as i do not want to have to edit the csv's from my suppliers.

Thanks Craig.

Edited by glycerine

Is there a way to make all products taxable? I've uploaded over 10K products (that took a while) and none of them were "labelled" as taxable. How can I do this?