• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

I set it up exactly how instructions had told me how, when I go into my admin, I don't see the Easy Populate option anywhere, any suggestions?

if you updated /admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php correctly the link should appear in the Admin > Catalog > Easy Populate.

the script can be accessed manually at www.yoursite.com/admin/easypopulate.php

if you updated /admin/includes/boxes/catalog.php correctly the link should appear in the Admin > Catalog > Easy Populate.

the script can be accessed manually at www.yoursite.com/admin/easypopulate.php

When I go there I get this error:

"Access Denied"

"No Right Permission Access"

"Please contact your Web Administrator to request"

"more access or if you found any problem."

So why can I not access this file, I clearly see it in directory it should be in...

When I go there I get this error:

"Access Denied"

"No Right Permission Access"

"Please contact your Web Administrator to request"

"more access or if you found any problem."

So why can I not access this file, I clearly see it in directory it should be in...

if you get that error when you go to www.yoursite.com/admin/easypopulate.php, then you need to make sure you have the correct permissions on the easypopulate files. You can set the permissions with an FTP tool like FileZilla. Should be 644.

if you get that error when you go to www.yoursite.com/admin/easypopulate.php, then you need to make sure you have the correct permissions on the easypopulate files. You can set the permissions with an FTP tool like FileZilla. Should be 644.

Wow I'm an idiot....haha sorry, I'll try that now, I should've done that automatically.

Edit: I made every file even 777 and still receiving that error.........

Edited by Brandburnmedia

Wow I'm an idiot....haha sorry, I'll try that now, I should've done that automatically.

Edit: I made every file even 777 and still receiving that error.........

I think it would be time to talk to your host.

Please can you share how to use easy populate?

I am currently using EP I have had very good luck using this contribution, I am looking to add a blank text input box. This is so customers can add custom text to their items. please let me know if this possible

I have a store that has thousands of mp3 files. I would like to sell them as downloads. And I thought that Easy Populate would work great for this, but the instructions for easy populate state quite clearly:

"What does EP *NOT* do well?

So far, EP does not handle attributes well. When viewing product export, it may be difficult to understand how it works. As such, I'do not recommend that anyone use EP for managing attributes. EP does not upload images, this has to be done using and ftp client, such as filezilla, manually.

EP does not handle "download" attributes.

(Damnit, those are pretty much the exactly what I need Easy Populate to do.)

However there is an addition to Easy Populate by ejda called "file downloads" uploaded November 12, 2008. Does anyone know if this new update works?

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/500

Also, there is an update by asiabound from September 3, 2007 called file downloads. (But the manual stating that Easy Populate doesn't do downloads was, I believe written after Sep. 3 2007 and before Nov 12, 2008.

Has anyone used these updates? any luck? I don't want to spend the time (and possibly money) installing easy populate if it can't do product downloads, but I really don't want to spend a few minutes per product to add a downloadable file to it in the product attribute admin panel.

If Easy Populate just won't do product downloads, does anyone know another contribution I can use, or at least make adding thousands of mp3s easier. For example - is "Download file helper" good? (http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6410)

Thanks,

Jeff

(ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE USING)

(ALWAYS THOROUGHLY VERIFY AFTER THAT EVERYTHING WENT WELL)

you can probably do it a couple ways.

1) export, then use Excel to add a number sequence down the model column. Then clear the products tables in the db and then re-import.

2) add products_id to the configuration item that allows you to add fields to the products table (see the docs, or the top of the easypopulate.php file). Export, then change the products_id column header to the products model header. Delete the empty model number column. Then clear the products tables in the db and then re-import.

Method 2 will result in the model numbers matching the current products_id in the table.

Hey,

I was wondering if I can get some help.

I have already exported a category with excel and added a number sequence down the model column.

When you say "clear the products tables in the db and then re-import", do you mean go to phpMyAdmin, and delete "products", "products attributes", "products_attributes_download" .... ? (so in total about 13 different "products" tables).

Also, to make a backup of my database, going to my admin section and making a backup in Tools>Database Backup>(Backup), is all I need to do right?

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out.

Thanks a lot again.

I doesn't say it doesn't handle them just

When viewing product export, it may be difficult to understand how it works.

But if you spend a bit of time looking at the export file and see how it works with attributes you can then use it.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

1. When you say "clear the products tables in the db and then re-import", do you mean go to phpMyAdmin, and delete "products", "products attributes", "products_attributes_download" .... ? (so in total about 13 different "products" tables).

2. Also, to make a backup of my database, going to my admin section and making a backup in Tools>Database Backup>(Backup), is all I need to do right?

1. To delete products I just go to the product and category maintenance option in the shop admin and delete each top level category. This deletes the products in them. One of my add ons allows you to clear your product/sales, it is really designed for use once you have finished testing.

2. yes, but you should also back up your php and images after each time you change them.

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

deleting products by deleting the categories will also delete all the images from the site with the products. That would not be a desirable thing to do if someone was only trying to add model numbers. So I guess your advice to backup the images and php would go hand in hand since they would need to restore them all afterwords. ;)

Best to just use something like phpMyAdmin to clear the products tables (after backing up, of course).

Edited by surfalot

Just wanted to say thanks for this contribution, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I installed it yesterday, and have been able to successfully download all of my product information, but I am unable to have any of the product description modifications actually "stick" once I re-upload the file.

I have read the first 40 or so pages of this thread and have learned a lot, but haven't found an answer to this particular question, and if I am overlooking something minor I apologize in advance.

Here are my EP settings:

EP vers: 2.76g-MS2

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

HTTP: Apache/2.2.10 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.10 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

DB: MySQL 5.0.51a-community

PHP: 5.2.8 (Zend: 2.2.0)

Temp Directory:

/home/blase40/public_html/temp/

Temp Dir is Writable

Magic Quotes is: off

register_globals is: on

Split files on: 300 records

Model Num Size: 12

Price with tax: false

Calc Precision: 2

Replace quotes: false

Field seperator: comma

Excel safe output: true

Preserve tab/cr/lf: false

Category depth: 7

Enable attributes: true

SEF Froogle URLS: false

More Pics: false

Unknown Pics: false

HTC: false

SPPC: false

Extra Fields: false

I downloaded the complete csv file of my store products to edit, and for simplicity's sake I have only left one row of data to re-upload, because I want to make sure I can make updates to one product before trying to do hundreds. All I did was added some simple text to the 'v_products_description_1' field.. no html or any characters other than letters at all.

I saved the file in the CSV(MS DOS) format since excel safe output is set to true. When I upload and import the EP file, if I choose the update only option, it says this:

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /tmp/phpsJ4n0Q

User filename: test.csv

Size: 1144

But the product description for the product is still blank... it does not include the test description I added.

Here is a link to the csv file that I have re-uploaded: http://www.magsondemand.com/test.csv

I have set the chmod on the temp folder to 777 as well.

If I choose the 'normal' setting instead of 'update only' when importing the csv file, a brand new product is added, and it does include the updated product description... however

what I am wanting to do is take a few hundred products at a time and export them to CSV, make some updates to the price and product description, and then import them back to my store with the update.

Any ideas or suggestions?

if it is creating a new product, that would tell me it is not matching up the model number with the original products model number. Are you changing the model number?

Thanks for the reply. When it creates a new product, it is because I am changing the model number. I did this as a test just to make sure the contribution was set up properly. My problem is, when I leave the model number the same, update the product the description, and then re-import it, nothing happens.

Thanks for the reply. When it creates a new product, it is because I am changing the model number. I did this as a test just to make sure the contribution was set up properly. My problem is, when I leave the model number the same, update the product the description, and then re-import it, nothing happens.

The first thing I would look for is another product with the same model number as the test product you are trying in your database. The model numbers have to be unique.

Where is this
tep_remove_product(())

funtion located and how am i supposed to edit it to avoid deleting all the images? Thanks.

So you want to use easypopulate to remove products, but keep the images. Then you would change the tep_remove_product() in /admin/includes/functions/general.php

comment the line:

@unlink(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES . $product_image['products_image']);

This will also prevent osCommerce from removing images when you delete the products in the osCommerce admin.

The first thing I would look for is another product with the same model number as the test product you are trying in your database. The model numbers have to be unique.

OK. So would I be correct to assume that I am not able to simply export products, update info such as price or product description, then import it with the same model number so the updated info is reflected on my site?