• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Easy Populate & Products Attributes

VJ

I was wondering why EasyPopulate 2.76g-MS2 does not include the product_id when exporting a .csv file?

Everything seems to work but the .csv file generated has no product_id?

Does this effect anything when adding products?

I want to use EP so that I can take a .csv file, insert the necessary info for each column (about 1000+ products) and then use its import feature to populate my osCommerce database.

My products also have attributes, meaning I would need to enter the proper ids to define what attribute applies to what product?

Is this what EP is for? Am I using it for the wrong reason?

So basically I have 0 products entered in my osCommerce database, but wish to use the .csv generated format from EP to populate my database with products of mine.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was wondering why EasyPopulate 2.76g-MS2 does not include the product_id when exporting a .csv file?

I want to use EP so that I can take a .csv file, insert the necessary info for each column (about 1000+ products) and then use its import feature to populate my osCommerce database.

My products also have attributes, meaning I would need to enter the proper ids to define what attribute applies to what product?

So basically I have 0 products entered in my osCommerce database, but wish to use the .csv generated format from EP to populate my database with products of mine.

Thanks!

I am no expert in EP area, but I'll tell you what I know (if I am not correct please somebody correct me):

At first, EP uses products model number field for identification, not a product ID number.

Product ID number field is autonumber, so when you add new products into database id field will be populated automatically, it CAN NOT be populated by EP. Secondly, product model number is much more convinient way to work with products. If you deleted product and then add same product you cannot assign same product id (because it is autonumber, this is it, that number cannot be assigned anymore), but you can assign same product model number if you deleted product mistakenly.

EP is perfect to update old and add new products. I use it all the time and mostly it is very convenient.

EP doesn't work well with attributes though, it said in a manual.

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom

G'Day Todd

I have fumbled through getting answers from the forum through "search", but would like to know if the following is possible

Can EP have Price Breaks and Product Attributes?

I have been using EP 2.75-MS2 with Price Breaks with great success.

I have been playing with EP2.76g-MS2 but seem to be going around in circles

ie I don't know what I'm doing

Any help would be appreciated

Ray

I'm sorry, I can't offer guidance with integrating new contributions in the support topic.

I am no expert in EP area, but I'll tell you what I know (if I am not correct please somebody correct me):

At first, EP uses products model number field for identification, not a product ID number.

Product ID number field is autonumber, so when you add new products into database id field will be populated automatically, it CAN NOT be populated by EP. Secondly, product model number is much more convinient way to work with products. If you deleted product and then add same product you cannot assign same product id (because it is autonumber, this is it, that number cannot be assigned anymore), but you can assign same product model number if you deleted product mistakenly.

EP is perfect to update old and add new products. I use it all the time and mostly it is very convenient.

EP doesn't work well with attributes though, it said in a manual.

not entirely true. In SQL your can specify an insert for an autonumber field in the SQL query, and will work just fine as long as it has not currently being used. If the number you specify is higher then the next autonumber that is supposed to be used, the next insert that uses that autonumber with increment one from the newest, highest) insert.

Someone just recently used the latest new feature that allows you to convienently add fields to the products and products_description tables. They needed to delete and restore the products using EP, but maintain the product ID. They used the new feature, added the products_id field in EP, and reported it worked fine. This will only work if you remove the products and insert them back again with EP. It will not update using the products_id.

Thanks!

that's what it's for, unfortunately, as AlwaysNewbie said, EP is not a easy shortcut for adding new product with attributes. It's better for making updates, or moving products from store to store (w/attributes).

Thanks

I will post it else where

Ray

you can still post your question here. Since you directed the previous question at me, I responded. If you ask the question here, I will ignore it since I'm only providing support. Someone else may take up the challenge. (doubtful, but it might happen).

Hey guys and thanks in advance. I successfully installed easy populate to help me add attributes to my hundreds of products in my store in a quicker fashion. So i exported the .csv file and opened it it up with excell, but the only thing is i have absolutely no idea what i have to do in excell to plug in my attributes to certain products. i set up all my attributes already and i see them on the spreadsheet but i just need to know what i have to do to have my products display the attribute i set up?!? please help.

Hey guys and thanks in advance. I successfully installed easy populate to help me add attributes to my hundreds of products in my store in a quicker fashion. So i exported the .csv file and opened it it up with excell, but the only thing is i have absolutely no idea what i have to do in excell to plug in my attributes to certain products. i set up all my attributes already and i see them on the spreadsheet but i just need to know what i have to do to have my products display the attribute i set up?!? please help.

I only have great dissapointment for you, unfortunately...

from the manual's Abstract:

What does EP *NOT* do well?

So far, EP does not handle attributes well. When viewing product export, it

may be difficult to understand how it works. As such, I'do not recommend

that anyone use EP for managing attributes.

Having said that, if you really want to brave it, add a few manually in the admin, export and examine the export for how to do it.

I only have great dissapointment for you, unfortunately...

from the manual's Abstract:

What does EP *NOT* do well?

So far, EP does not handle attributes well. When viewing product export, it

may be difficult to understand how it works. As such, I'do not recommend

that anyone use EP for managing attributes.

Having said that, if you really want to brave it, add a few manually in the admin, export and examine the export for how to do it.

damn, that kinda sucks! wll surfalot, would you recomend any contributions or anything for that matter that would make it easier for me to add attributes to my products. Doing it throguth the regular attributes tab in oscommerce would take me ages, i hope there is a faster way. thanks.

I think surfalot is being unduly pessimistic. His suggestion is a good one, it worked for me.

Set up two or three products with their attributes, then down load a file. You can then work out how to set up some new ones.

Once you have done a few and worked out how the attributes work for your products, you can go for broke and set up all your other products.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I have an important question guys, why is when i make a change in my spreadsheet, then upload it back to my database, the changes dont seem to take effect at all. I changed a few prices to see if easy populate was working like it should have, but when i checked my site, nothing changed at all. Did i make a mistake somewhere during installation or something? please help fellas?!

I have an important question guys, why is when i make a change in my spreadsheet, then upload it back to my database, the changes dont seem to take effect at all. I changed a few prices to see if easy populate was working like it should have, but when i checked my site, nothing changed at all. Did i make a mistake somewhere during installation or something? please help fellas?!

I could help, but this description doesn't tell me much. If you are using one of my versions, look at the bottom of the manual everyone was encourage to read, there you will find the details we need to help find out what's happening.

I could help, but this description doesn't tell me much. If you are using one of my versions, look at the bottom of the manual everyone was encourage to read, there you will find the details we need to help find out what's happening.

Hope you can help surfalot, the version i have installed Easy Populate 2.76g-MS2 (with attributes). I believe once i just figure out how to make the changes i make in the spreadsheet go over to my site, all will be well. I read the manual but it didnt really help with my situation. If you have have any suggestions, feel free to help! thanks.

Hope you can help surfalot, the version i have installed Easy Populate 2.76g-MS2 (with attributes). I believe once i just figure out how to make the changes i make in the spreadsheet go over to my site, all will be well. I read the manual but it didnt really help with my situation. If you have have any suggestions, feel free to help! thanks.

open the manual with notepad. search for "how to ask for help". the manual does 2 things, helps you, and helps me help you, if you get that far. ;)

open the manual with notepad. search for "how to ask for help". the manual does 2 things, helps you, and helps me help you, if you get that far. ;)

OK surflalot i made some progress today, I figured out that i just had to add zeros in certain attributes columns for them to show up on my site. i also figured out the reason that my changes were not taking effect because none of my products had model numbers (first column on spreadsheet). So i added a few model numbers to a few products and added the attributes to them and i uploaded them, and it worked! But now i have another problem, the products i uploaded with attributes are now doubles. Theres the same product without the attributes, and the same product with the attribute. How do i stop EP from doubling everything i upload with changes in the spreadsheet?

I just installed easypopulate into a fresh install. It seemed work great but I have a question about the the product attributes. They all show up but are not linked to my products. Also options don't show up to add or change options on the add products form from the admin? Do I need another contribution to makes these work? Thank you!

This covers the last 2 posts.

By uploading the same data but with a model no you will duplicate the items.

Use the admin area to delete the products without a model no and then import the file again...... This time no duplicates just updates.

Attributes are added to products in the admin area

Product Maintenance >> Product Attributes

Once you have set up a few you can download a file and use that as a template to add attributes to other products.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I just installed easypopulate into a fresh install. It seemed work great but I have a question about the the product attributes. They all show up but are not linked to my products. Also options don't show up to add or change options on the add products form from the admin? Do I need another contribution to makes these work? Thank you!

welcome to the forum!!

if your import is formatted correctly the attributes should attach and be available. If you are using one of my versions, please see the "how to ask for help" section at the bottom of the manual.

This covers the last 2 posts.

By uploading the same data but with a model no you will duplicate the items.

Use the admin area to delete the products without a model no and then import the file again...... This time no duplicates just updates.

Attributes are added to products in the admin area

Product Maintenance >> Product Attributes

Once you have set up a few you can download a file and use that as a template to add attributes to other products.

See this is my exact problem. When i add attributes and make changes in my spreadsheet and upload them back to my database, the changes donnot take effect at all. Its like i did not make any changes at all. The only way the changes i make take effect is when i add a model no. So i am just trying to figure out what is going on that is not allowing the changes i make in my spreadsheet not carry over to my database when i upload it.

i have this contribution installed and it works absolutly fine for me!

Easy Populate 2.76g-MS2 to work with UltraPics 2.07.01 LightBox contribution

all i can say to anyone that does not know how EP works, is:

down load on the Fly "complete" this way you see how EP sets up the CSV File

and from there on its easy and self explaind, just fill in the colums that EP created....

happy EP-ing

Please, for the love of god would someone show me how to get rid of this error message:

Warning: main(easypopulate_functions.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in d:\Domains\lamodeethique.com\wwwroot\oscommerce\catalog\admin\easypopulate.php on line 18

Warning: main(easypopulate_functions.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in d:\Domains\lamodeethique.com\wwwroot\oscommerce\catalog\admin\easypopulate.php on line 18

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'easypopulate_functions.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\') in d:\Domains\lamodeethique.com\wwwroot\oscommerce\catalog\admin\easypopulate.php on line 18

I have no idea how to use a 'database administration tool' if I need to, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one on my server.

i REALLY want to use Easy Populate but there are so many instructions that seem to contradict each other or assume I'm experienced in OS...

I've created the 'temp' folder, Ive added the line: '<a href="' . tep_href_link('easypopulate.php', '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">Easy Populate</a><br>'. to the catalog.php....

I would realy appreciate your help...

Edited by lukegrantmuller

See this is my exact problem. When i add attributes and make changes in my spreadsheet and upload them back to my database, the changes donnot take effect at all. Its like i did not make any changes at all. The only way the changes i make take effect is when i add a model no. So i am just trying to figure out what is going on that is not allowing the changes i make in my spreadsheet not carry over to my database when i upload it.

if your import is formatted correctly the attributes should attach and be available. If you are using one of my versions, please see the "how to ask for help" section at the bottom of the manual, please??

Please, for the love of god would someone show me how to get rid of this error message:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'easypopulate_functions.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\') in d:\Domains\lamodeethique.com\wwwroot\oscommerce\catalog\admin\easypopulate.php on line 18

I have no idea how to use a 'database administration tool' if I need to, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one on my server.

i REALLY want to use Easy Populate but there are so many instructions that seem to contradict each other or assume I'm experienced in OS...

I've created the 'temp' folder, Ive added the line: '<a href="' . tep_href_link('easypopulate.php', '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">Easy Populate</a><br>'. to the catalog.php....

I would realy appreciate your help...

I'm sorry to see you having so much trouble. I would like to help. This is an advance script and not for the faint of heart. It should work for most with very little setup. Reading the manual is a must, even if you don't understand what you are reading. Things will become clearer over a little time. I'm guessing you have read it from your comments. :)

Having said that, I suspect your issue is that you have not carefully the install instructions completely and missed uploading the easypopulate_functions.php file to the same folder as easypopulate.php.