• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

Can you epplain by what is meant by:

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

Does this mean every single folder in the file tree should be set to 775 or 777, or just select ones !

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Hi Vger... I am so confused.. do I download osc from the jooster fantastico option or from oscommerce.com and save it under my programs in my harddisk? If I take option 2.... HOW to I upload onto my domain? the only program I use from jooster is that rvsite builder which is comical.. I mean you can't do anything... just write or change your web page title.. anyhow.. when you say upload just the contents and not the folder..... ???????????????

This help is coming from someone who does not understand the web designing language!!!

Thanks

Piccolina

Hi, I did not create a blank database via web hosting panel for 2 reasons... don't know how, and secondly, I want to instal it onto my root folder... I tried this (unticked the ssl box) and this message came up.

Install OS Commerce (2/4)

The installation can not be completed:

- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain mydomain.com.au, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain mydomain.com.au (path="/home/mydomain/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:

index.php

images

Click on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.

Is it safe to delete those 2 files? Any hints?

Thanks

Piccolina

Hi, I did not create a blank database via web hosting panel for 2 reasons... don't know how, and secondly, I want to instal it onto my root folder... I tried this (unticked the ssl box) and this message came up.

The installation can not be completed:

- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain vivagifts.com.au, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain vivagifts.com.au (path="/home/vivascom/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:

index.php

images

Click on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.

Any hints?

I tried to delete the index file and renamed the images folder to personal images (there were too many items under it what would happen if I actually delete it????) and this is what happened when I tired to instal it this time:

Warning: file(/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/fantastico/includes/enc_check.inc.php on line 225

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/fantastico/includes/enc_check.inc.php on line 226

The MySQL database and MySQL user mydomainuser_osc1 will be created and used for this installation.

- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain mydomain.com.au.

- The access URL will be: http://mydomain.com.au/.

Click on Finish installation to continue.

:crying:

:blink:

STEP 3... I clicked to finish installation and this came up:

Install OS Commerce (3/4)

/home/mydomain/public_html/includes/configure.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/configure.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/includes/languages/english.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/includes/languages/espanol.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/includes/languages/german.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/languages/english.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/languages/espanol.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/languages/german.php configured

/home/mydomain/public_html/data.sql configured

ATTENTION! Installation of OS Commerce requires an additional step!

(this additional step would be to "click here to protect the administration area")

when I click there this comes up

Install OS Commerce (4/4)

The administration directory was protected.

Please notice:

We only offer auto-installation and auto-configuration of OS Commerce but do not offer any kind of support.

You need a username and a password to enter the admin area. Your username is "username". Your password is "password" The full URL to the admin area (Bookmark this!): http://mydomain.com/admin/

The full URL to this installation of OS Commerce: http://mydomain.com.au/

and BANG.. if I click on the url above (the admin one), I get this messageeeeeeeeeeeeee

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

PLEASE HELP..WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

I'm sorry, but this is the forum for my Quick Install Guide, for people who are installing osCommerce themselves. I can't help you out with Fantastico installs - never use them.

Vger

I'm sorry, but this is the forum for my Quick Install Guide, for people who are installing osCommerce themselves. I can't help you out with Fantastico installs - never use them.

Vger

Well can you help maybe if I download oscommerce and somehow upload it onto my domain?

Yes, that's what this forum is for.

Download the latest release of soCommerce from Downloads at www.oscommerce.com, unzip the package on your computer. All of the files you need are in the 'catalog' folder. You can disregard the other Extras etc.

If you wish for your osCommerce website to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then upload the contents of the catalog folder via FTP, but not the folder itself, to the root of your website (where your other website folders are).

If you wish your osCommerce site to be available in a folder of your domain e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog, then upload the catalog folder and all its contents to the root of your web

From then on the Quick Install Guide tells you what you need to know, but if you have any queries post them here.

Vger

Yes, that's what this forum is for.

Download the latest release of soCommerce from Downloads at www.oscommerce.com, unzip the package on your computer. All of the files you need are in the 'catalog' folder. You can disregard the other Extras etc.

If you wish for your osCommerce website to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then upload the contents of the catalog folder via FTP, but not the folder itself, to the root of your website (where your other website folders are).

If you wish your osCommerce site to be available in a folder of your domain e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog, then upload the catalog folder and all its contents to the root of your web

From then on the Quick Install Guide tells you what you need to know, but if you have any queries post them here.

Vger

Hi and thank you.. are you familiar with jooster at all? I am not sure how to upload all the files.. using the ftp manager (?) or the file manager?

If FTP manager, where do i go?

FTP Accounts

With the FTP account utility you can control FTP accounts for your users or if your account has sub-domain support you can add FTP accounts for your sub-domain(s).

Setup Anonymous FTP Access

Here you can change how anonymous FTP users should be treated and change the anonymous upload policy as well.

Anonymous FTP Message

You can edit the anonymous FTP welcome message that users will see when they login to your FTP site.

FTP Session Control

This utility allows you to disconnect users or time out FTP sessions.

if FTP files.. do I open a folder (the bold ones) and save the files in there or just save them in the initial page that appears when I click on File Manager?

/ (Current Folder)

Create New Folder

Upload file(s)

.cpanel-datastore 777

.fantasticodata 777

.gnupg 777

.htpasswds 777

.rvsitebuilder 777

.spamassassin 777

.trash 777

etc 777

mail 777

public 777

public_ftp 777

public_html 755

tmp 777

www 755

Create New File

.acart 0 k 0600

.contactemail 0 k 0644

.cpanel-ducache 10 k 0600

.lastlogin 0 k 0600

.spamassassinenable 0 k 0644

.spamkey 0 k 0600

You need a reliable FTP programme. Try WS FTP Home (free 30 day trial) or FileZilla (free).

public_html would be the folder you upload the osCommerce folders/files to.

Vger

You need a reliable FTP programme. Try WS FTP Home (free 30 day trial) or FileZilla (free).

public_html would be the folder you upload the osCommerce folders/files to.

Vger

can I instal an ftp programme although I use jooster.com's control panel? sorry I hardly even know what ftp means.. all I know is that I bought a domain from jooster.com, the control panel for my website (www.vivagifts.com.au/cpanel) does not work 3 out of 5 times that I try to access it (same for the email addresses I created under that domain) and the programs they have available on their control panel are a disaster.

Thanks

Romina

You are obviously with the wrong hosting company!

When I refer to an FTP programme this is a programme you download and install on your own computer. You then set up a connection from this programme to your website and it allows you to upload and download files/folders to and from your website.

Vger

You are obviously with the wrong hosting company!

When I refer to an FTP programme this is a programme you download and install on your own computer. You then set up a connection from this programme to your website and it allows you to upload and download files/folders to and from your website.

Vger

the website is now working.. they said they had some sort of network problem.. so let's hope it stays up... now, I physically uploaded every single file under every single subfolder inside every folder etc etc from the catalog folder in the correct way (believe it or not) on my file manager under public_html... how do I get it actually working on the website?

I am going to scream... Everything seemed to work and then I got to the server name etc.. I put in the database server (servername?), my username and password etc.. and I got this..

Database Import

A test connection made to the database was NOT successful.

The error message returned is:

Access denied for user: 'username@database server.com(Using password: YES)

Please click on the Back button below to review your database server settings.

If you require help with your database server settings, please consult your hosting company.

(by the way what is password YES???)

I contacted the hosting company but it sometimes takes about 48 hrs for a response..

Pass: Yes simply means that you supplied a password for MySQL access (which you should do). You probably supplied the wrong database server address. Usually this is localhost, but if localhost does not work then you'll need to check with your (apparently) absolutely hopeless hosting company.

Vger

Pass: Yes simply means that you supplied a password for MySQL access (which you should do). You probably supplied the wrong database server address. Usually this is localhost, but if localhost does not work then you'll need to check with your (apparently) absolutely hopeless hosting company.

Vger

I can't change them now.. I would lose the domain name.. and I only just registered with them. :(

Hey Vger, I'm back with a question...okay, don't cringe.

I got the MySQL and PHP for Dummies book...and it's still greek to me. I've been on both sites, tried to do their tutorials. And been on a few other sites that offer help. I don't get why I can't understand it...at least the PHP stuff. I think if I read over the MySQL stuf a few times I'll get that. But...do you really need to remember all the PHP coding?? Is it all written down someplace for easy reference?? And I know maybe this isn't the place to ask you this, but it's where you gave me the suggestions to buy the book....thanks.

The thing to do with the book is not just to read it. You won't learn much reading a php book. It really starts to make sense when you actually use the example code in the book and test it out - seeing how it works, making mistakes, finding the solution.

You don't need to remember all the php coding, but you need to get a feel for what looks to be correct code and what looks to be wrong.

I don't know if you have your own computer set up as a local (offline) web server, but it would help if you did. There is an all-in-one Apache package called XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en), which is a 1-click install - and contains all you need to test run osCommerce and any php and mysql operations on your own computer.

Vger

I am a new starter , I have uploaded the "catalog " in the root and opened a new dir called "database" but I cannot set anything to 777 just dont know how to do it ?.

I searched in these forums but what ever I try no luck!.

I dont know if I am doing omething wrong here is my web adress where I have uploaded please someone check fro me .

www.artest.com.tr/catalog/

someone help please!

Why did you set up a new directory called 'database'? You need to go to your web hosting control panel and set up a new blank database, not a folder called 'database'.

Your folder permissions should be okay by default - you just need to follow the Quick Install Guids instructions at the start of this thread. If you then get permission problems then post back here.

Vger

Piccola,

I understand your frustation, I have been where you are many times!!

This is what I would do:

1 - Use your ftp progtram, and delete all the OS Commerce files from the public_html directory.

2 - use your website control panel and delete the MYSQL database and user

3 - Create a new MYSQL database with whatever name you like but keep it short, and take CAREFUL note of the name it actually gives the database - e.g if you use 'piccola' as the name then it will probably prefix the name with the partial name of your site like this: mysite_piccola. It will also normally tell you that the database server name is LOCALHOST.

4 - Go back to the MYSQL admin and create a user name and password. Again take CAREFUL note of the user name it gives you, again it will almost certainly prefix the name as in step 3. i.e. mysite_password

5 - Use your FTP program and upload all the OSCommerce files again, just as you have done before.

6 - run the OSC install program and tell it the name of the host from step 3, take care to type in the database user name from step 4, the password you used and the name of the database from step 3.

7 - Once you have done all this and it works, use your FTP program to copy ALL the files from the public_html directory to your local computer. Then if something goes wrong, you can simply put it all back to where you are today.

8 - BEFORE you do anything to your site - BACK IT UP!

If you have taken careful notes and typed everything correctly, you should have a working OS Commerce site but I have a feeling this is just the start of your problems!!

Good luck

Piccola,

I understand your frustation, I have been where you are many times!!

Good luck

Hi Architect and thanks heaps for your reply and time.. this has not been easy (well after I actually do it right I think.. was that it??? but in the meantime when you don't know what is going on.. well it kind of makes you feel a little ignorant.. anyhow.. I managed to install it thanks.. but at the end when it says to click on administration tools it tells me that:

Warning: main(includes/functions/database.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 58

Warning: main(includes/functions/database.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 58

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/functions/database.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 58

any hints? the permissions on all folders are 755.. on the FILES they are 644... help. :huh:

Hi Architect and thanks heaps for your reply and time.. this has not been easy (well after I actually do it right I think.. was that it??? but in the meantime when you don't know what is going on.. well it kind of makes you feel a little ignorant.. anyhow.. I managed to install it thanks.. but at the end when it says to click on administration tools it tells me that:

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/functions/database.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/mydomain/public_html/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 58

any hints? the permissions on all folders are 755.. on the FILES they are 644... help. :huh:

Does the catalog work?

If it does, then the problem is with the path settings in admin\includes\configure.php.

If the catalog doesn't work either, then sorry but I can't help further

Does the catalog work?

If it does, then the problem is with the path settings in admin\includes\configure.php.

If the catalog doesn't work either, then sorry but I can't help further

how do I check?

Archived