• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

[quote

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

Where do I change those permissions??

>_< Britt-Marie

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Notepad shoud work. Just don't use Word. There are better (text/html)editors at large, both free and not-so-free. As to the which one, I'd say it has to be "php.ini". It is possible to have several "php.ini" on one's machine. read the Xampp documentation to find out which and whether it has a slightly different name. The "recommended" is just that: it is recommended your php.ini should (probably) look like that. Read it.

BTW you can't find the globals-thing with windows search function, because it's inside the php.ini -file.

I currently have a testsite on a mac with php5.something and another test with php4.something. Both have globals_off. Both work. Note: some contributions will also need some tinkering to work with globals_off.

I'd forget the php.ini. Just install the patch.

1. Read the patch instructions again.

2. And again.

3. Compare the folder/filesystem and filenames of the patch to that of osCommerce on your machine.

4. Open the files in Notepad or whatever-text-editor-you-choose.

5. Compare and change where necessary. It's only a few lines here and there. Copy-paste will do. Save.

6. Rerun the osC install with/from your browser.

You really have to get under the hood in osC.

You'll get it! 'cause I'm getting it and I'm a "Think Different" type. :blink:

Seagoofy

Duh on me! :blush: I think I've finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I needed to OPEN the php.ini file with a program that could read php files . . . I'm sure this is very basic stuff to those of you know what you're doing. It didn't occur to me. I only found this out by accident today because I was wondering why so many of the files that came with the contributions I've been downloading had files that were classified as "Broderbund Quick Prints Type." I kept thinking they should be image files of some sort as the only Broderbund product I've had is PrintShop, which I uninstalled long ago (apparently something is left behind). I have no idea why they're showing up this way, but I noticed that the files had names like "products_attributes.php" or "checkout_process.php" and decided to look at them using TextPad and Crimson Editor (which basically do the same thing) and it shows all the php code - I'm so thrilled that I can actually see what's in these files. I realize these programs are pretty similar, I just downloaded both to see which one I liked better. I also have a program called PHP Designer 2006, which seems to do the same thing. PHP Designer also shows the line numbers and that makes it easier to see where I'm at. If I want to make changes in php code, should I copy the section I'm working on into PHP Designer or one of the others and work on it there, then copy and paste it back into osCommerce? I also downloaded and installed WinMerge and Search and Replace 98 after reading Vger's advice somewhere in the forums, but I'm not clear on exactly which one would be best to use for what task. One more question - I had osCommerce installed on my webhost (because I couldn't get it to work with Xampp) and have only done a few minor changes (used Vger's instructions to center my store, deleted the osCommerce header, etc.). Do I need to put it all back to the original configuration before I add any contributions? Thanks to those of you who've taken the time to answer my questions and give me information. People on the forums are remarkably patient and helpful.

Cheers,

Becky

Hi All, I am pullng out my hair! I have used OScommerce many times successfully but this is the first time I have had to install it myself from scratch :blink:

I cannot find this php.ini file. Could someone point me in the right direction???

MANY Thanks, Rachel

Most online websites are on a shared server, and on a shared server you won't have access to the main php.ini file which covers the whole server. You may have access to a local php.ini file - which would be located outside of the web root of your domain. FTP to your website and go back as far as you can navigate from the root of your domain and see if you can find a local php.ini file. For instance, if your web root is at /var/www/html/ then you may be able to navigate right down as far as / and then find php.ini in /etc/php.ini

If you can't do that then you won't have access to a local copy of php.ini and you may have to make whatever changes you need to make via a .htaccess file in the root of your domain. Remember that .htaccess files only work on Apache servers, and don't work at all on Windows servers.

Vger

Hi All, I am pullng out my hair! I have used OScommerce many times successfully but this is the first time I have had to install it myself from scratch :blink:

I cannot find this php.ini file. Could someone point me in the right direction???

MANY Thanks, Rachel

and have only done a few minor changes (used Vger's instructions to center my store, deleted the osCommerce header, etc.). Do I need to put it all back to the original configuration before I add any contributions?

No, those changes won't affect any Contributions. But remember to backup all files you intend to change to install any contributions, and then if anything goes wrong you can restore to how it was. Keep a record (change log) of all changes you make also.

Vger

Thanks Vger for the great help you're giving us.

My question is related to SSL matters.

I would like to buy a full certificate. Where can I get it?

I have a dedicated IP so I can do this job.

Then... should I upload my catalog on the private_html folder of my domain instead of public_html? Or can I move there only the cart? and how?

You can buy a full certificate in many places. I'd recommend the Geotrust Express SSL sold by ev1servers.net. You need to generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) in your web hosting control panel before you can buy the cert.

Check with your hosting company to see if they use a two-folder system, one for http docs and another for https docs.

Vger

TextPad and Crimson Editor (which basically do the same thing) and it shows all the php code - I'm so thrilled that I can actually see what's in these files. I realize these programs are pretty similar, I just downloaded both to see which one I liked better. I also have a program called PHP Designer 2006, which seems to do the same thing. PHP Designer also shows the line numbers and that makes it easier to see where I'm at.

Check your settings/menus on TextPad and/or Crimson editor. You'll probably find "show line numbers" or something like it. I'm not at a windows machine so I can't tell you "exactly" where to look, but I saw a screenshot of crimson with the line numbers showing. At the end of the day it's your own choice, which editor is "best" for you.

If I want to make changes in php code, should I copy the section I'm working on into PHP Designer or one of the others and work on it there, then copy and paste it back into osCommerce?

1st make a backup copy of the file you intend to edit. Save it somewhere you can later find it, easily. Personally, if I just stash something it ends up at a place called "Lost". :lol:

2nd Since you're using a webhost you have a choice of opening the file via ftp/whatever and editing it remotely OR downloading a copy to your machine and editing your local copy (don't forget to upload and replace the copy on your webhost). Your mileage may vary from host to host.

3rd If/When your store breaks down, you can always retrieve the pristine (pre-edit)copy from your "stash" to replace the (broken)edited file on your webhost. You do remember where you stashed it?

Do I need to put it all back to the original configuration before I add any contributions?

Nope. Remember though, to compare any new contribution files to those already in the osC store for any previous edits of yours.

Seagoofy

I was trying to install and I keep getting this error after entering the database information.

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (46)

any help is appreciated.

That message usually means that you have entered totally the wrong information for db_server. It's usually 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' (without the apostrophies).

Vger

That message usually means that you have entered totally the wrong information for db_server. It's usually 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' (without the apostrophies).

Vger

Yeah, when I changed that it says, "Unable to connect to the database". Yeah, I know I'm doing something completely wrong when setting up the database. I'm doing it through Yahoo, which sucks, but it's what I have to do.

Anyways, if you think that there is anything more that you can help me with, that would be great. Either way, thank you for the response.

You have to set up a blank database first, before you start the install. You'll also need to know from Yahoo what the database server address is with their hosting.

Commisserations on choosing Yahoo by the way!

Vger

You have to set up a blank database first, before you start the install. You'll also need to know from Yahoo what the database server address is with their hosting.

Commisserations on choosing Yahoo by the way!

Vger

hahaha, yeah. Yahoo! definitely was not my choice. lol. I've worked with them in the past and had nothing but difficulties with them. But whatever, it's what I have to work with right now.

Awesome, I'll just have to create a new database and then see what I can do from there. Thank you VERY much for all of your help.

I have seen this question posted before, with answers, and have asked about it myself as well. I tried setting up a local host and could never get around the "register globals" issue, so I finally gave up and had osC installed on my hosting site. It gave me the same issue there, but a service request got it fixed right away. Now I'm back to wanting to install on a local host so I can start over if I need to - and I CANNOT find the correct php.ini to change. I found several php.ini files on my computer, opened them up and made the change one by one and it had absolutely no effect. I'm using EasyPHP and I restarted it, even tried restarting my computer, and no luck. I checked out the register globals patch, but as far as I can tell, you have to use it on osC once it's been installed. The error message I get says: "Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration. This can be enabled in your php.ini configuration file or in the .htaccess file in your catalog directory." Am I looking for the php.ini file in EasyPHP or in the uninstalled osC files, which I extracted into the www file in EasyPHP? I feel like a total dunce, but I've tried everything I can think of to change it so I can get osC installed and it never works. If you could tell me the exact name of the file, or which php.ini I'm looking for it would help. I hope.

Thanks in advance,

Becky :(

safe_mode is off

Have you gotten any further with this problem? I've got the same setup and have encountered the same problem. I'''ve done that was suggested in the previous posts but nothing is working so far. I just don'''t have enough linux/php/apache knowhow to solve this. :(

Regards

Zman

The post you referred to was a problem with permissions. There are thousands of posts on this forum to do with permissions. To search the forum better use the search function in the Google Toolbar and select 'Current Site' for your search.

Vger

I need major help

I uploaded everthing to the root directory and changed permissions to 777 still when i goto

www.mydomain.com/catalog/install/

Im reciving a "page not found error"

I have 2 domains and installing this on a web server not a local copy.

According to the web hosting they are using php 4

My past experience tells me that although you believe you uploaded everything to the 'root' directory that you have in fact uploaded it somewhere else.

Please check with your hosts as to what is your 'root' directory, and then FTP to your root and make sure the files/folders are located there.

Vger

My past experience tells me that although you believe you uploaded everything to the 'root' directory that you have in fact uploaded it somewhere else.

Please check with your hosts as to what is your 'root' directory, and then FTP to your root and make sure the files/folders are located there.

Vger

found out that turning on php takes longer than I was told becasue this morning I did nothing and it worked fine. Now to get that cust log-in working ;)

Thanks for your time on posting all this information.

I am totaly new to OS Comm and have followed the steps you have stated, and i get this message "You are not authorized to view this page"

Could you please help me have have installed os commerce to my site www.cyclone.me.uk

please please help .

Thanks in Advance

Shaun

Cyclone

Hi, I can't even locate your domain on the internet, and I've tried all permutations:

www.cyclone.me.uk

http://www.cyclone.me.uk

http://cyclone.me.uk

Please make sure that (in your 123-Reg account) your domain is pointed to the correct name servers for your hosting account. Currently your domain is pointed to:

ns1.hosting365.ie

ns2.hosting365.ie

If that is the correct address, then fine, but make sure that you did not add any ip addresses after the dns addresses.

Vger

I'm new to OS Commerce and I seem to be having a strange problem

I uploaded the files and ran the install. I walked through all the steps and the installer said that it could connect to my database. When I checked the database file it was in fact populated with the sample info.

Once the install finishes, and I go to my url to view the shop, it goes back to the installation menu. If i try going to mysite.com/admin, I get an error "Cannot connect to the database"

Archived