• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, finally loaded product onto server, now seems as if my user name and password are not working for the administration access? How do I verify the user name and password? do I need to reinstall? Deadline today to get up and running.

99%

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Wonder if you can help me, I'm tearing my hair out!

Been at this now for about 3 or maybe 4 days and not making any forward progress on the problem. My knowledge of all this stuff is limited but reasonable.

Attempting to upload an OS commerce 2.3 into an existing website (to replace the old), but in the mean time would like to keep the old.

So uploading via coreftp to mydomain.com/catalog (which I renamed to shop, successfully), then doesn't seem to matter whether I change all the permissions to 755 or 777 on the files detailed in the install guide, or just doing ALL of them, as images will just not load (once installed).

I've cleaned out the sql database, cleaned out and downloaded many fresh installs from the OSC site etc.

Managed to get ONE successful install where all the images worked, until I deleted the install file via ftp, then the rest of the site gradually fell apart over the course of a few minutes.

It must be a permissions issue, but my brain is so scrambled from altering so much that I reckon there is a blindingly obvious solution that I just can't seem to find.

Anyone any idea?

How are you uploading the image file?

Do you get any error messages when you upload the images?

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Image file (from install file) is just going up via ftp, its permission as standard is 757

The problem is that even the default install images, banners, icons etc, do not even display, 500 internal server error. So I assume they are 'there' and they are just not displaying due to some obscure (or likely VERY obvious) problem.

This morning just tried to upload the oscommerce system to another site we have from same provider and same issue, very frustrating!

I'd try renameing the htaccess files and see if that resolves it and if that does then work with your isp to see what they allow.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

I'm not quite sure whats's going on, with every fresh install of OSC the result is slightly different.

I'm going to give it another 30minutes of trying then afraid will have to scrap the OSC and hobble something else together as its just taken too much time now.

Annoying that I did get one install to work until I came to cleanup the install files then it fell apart, bah.

This last time I have been through every single file under catalog/ and altered permission to 777 (wide open) then checked and rechecked.

So maybe its actually something wrong with the installer package? Everything else appears to work as it should, just images!

This last time I have been through every single file under catalog/ and altered permission to 777 (wide open) then checked and rechecked.

So maybe its actually something wrong with the installer package? Everything else appears to work as it should, just images!

I have same problem. How about your admin site? Is that normal?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

What i'm going to ask could be somewhere answered but, whatever, here it goes: The blank database that i may have to create is a SQL type one or is it a php one?

i have a domain ready to take the OsCommerce in it so, as soon as possible i'd like to get answers to get on the way with it.

Try this guide.

Also to find out more about php and mysql try w3schools.com

HTH

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have finally finished my Oscommerce store but I have a problem making my store go live. I guess my first mistake was installing the Oscommerce package including the Catalog folder. This now means I have to type in www.mystore.com/catalog. What I hoped I could then do (when live) is set a pointer from www.mystore.com to /catalog/. This unfortunately doesn't work because although I can see writing of my store I don't see any images or boxes, etc. I also can't type in www.mystore.com/catalog or even www.mystore.com/catalog/admin as the browser says page not found.

I apparently can't redirect to a url either as according to my webhoster (iPage) you can't redirect to the same domain.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Can I make up a php or html file to sit in the root folder to re-direct? Can I just copy all files and folders from catalog into the root folder or am I even able to do this after I have installed the store?

• 2 weeks later...

If prompted Do not enable SSL unless you already have it installed or intend to shortly, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (un-tick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

^^ that doesnt even exist when running the install tool

• 1 month later...

i'm new with this one...i have a problem in installing the oscommerce...i used wamp...is it ok?...

here the errors

1146 - Table 'oscommerce.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

• 3 weeks later...

Changing the permission:

I am to the step of changing the permissions:

• Set the permissions on G:/wamp/www/Gbag/oscommerce-2.3.1/catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (or 444 if this file is still writable).
  • Set the permissions on G:/wamp/www/Gbag/oscommerce-2.3.1/catalog/admin8652/includes/configure.php to 644 (or 444 if this file is still writable).

I do not have a column that I can change it to 644. Can someone show me how to get to the area to change this permission?

Thank you.post-272222-0-12447700-1338318570_thumb.png

You're on a Windowz O/S. It doesn't have "numbered" permissions like 644 or 444 as a Unix/Linux O/S does.

Use Windowz Explorer and make the file "Read only".

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Is it possible to install the OSC software in a sub folder like 'catalog' and then keeping the index.php file in the root of the domain?

Is it, if the above is possible, also possible to rename the index.php file to something else?

I have several reasons for the above.

First of all, I'm about to upgrade a 1.x OSC that is heavily modded to a 2.3 version. Second, the site contains several other software, which are all kept in subfolders. Having the OSC folders in the root of the domain is kind of confusing.

Install 2.3.1 in a subfolder, then in the root folder put a .htaccess redirect (or some cPanels are configured to redirect) all requests from domian.com/index.php to domain.com/shop/index.php (or whatever folder you install it in). I assume this is so search engines can still find the main page.

And "good luck" on the huge "upgrade".

You'll probably find it's much easier to install 2.3.1 and import data from the old shop to the new shop.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Nah, you misunderstand me. I want the index.php to stay in the root of the domain...

Domain.com/index2.php (main file for the new OSC 2.3.x)

Domain.com/shop/*other OSC 2.3.x files here*

I didn't misunderstand SQUAT.

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

• 1 month later...

Hi @@Akyhne

Install procedure as @@germ said and use index.htm or index.html in the root. This is the best way or build a new index.php which contains only one link to oscommerce shop (http://domain/shop/index.php).

you can manage everything in the index.html file.

The main oscommerce index.php not able to move another place because the shop will crash down.

osCommerce standard enable to use subdirectory.

home = http://domain/index.html or http://domain/index.php (entrance place of complicated websites)

catalog = http://domain/shop/index.php (this is the shop)

Example of root index.php (html)

<html>
<head>
</head>
<p><a href="http://mydomain/shop/index.php">This is the shop link</a></p>
<p><a href="http://mydomain/drupal/index.php">This is my blog</a></p>
</html>

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

very nice and more staright forward instruction than the documentation came with the program, thanks, I got it up and run. now I need to costumize it little to make it look diff from others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am new to the world of ecommerce, and i have tried installing oscommerce on my website.

I have followed the steps down to a T from the original post however when i have entered my database details and continued, i got an error.

2 for the permissions which i fixed immediately and the following : mysql The MySQL extension is required but is not installed. Please enable it to continue installation.

on my host website i have definitely created the database hence how i can enter the details of it.

I did notice that it was refered to as My SQL instead of MySQL (not sure if this makes a difference) and i am using 1and1 as the host.

if anybody could help me out it would be much appreciated!

I understand that there MAY be a different procedure for Ms SQL if the compatibility is different, and i also understand that it may not be compatible with 1and1. Could somebody clear these suggestions for me?

Thankyou in advance.

Archived