• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

includes/configure.php

admin/includes/configure.php

Vger

Vger thank you for the helpful information.

Installed 2.3.1 successfully. Now trying to change attributes of the 2 config files via ftp to 644/../.. It doesn't let me - 'Permission denied'

Any inputs?

Best.

Aj :-)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already follow your guide step by step.

1. Create blank database

2. upload oscommerce 2.2, moved all content into /public_html

3. change the permission into 755 and I've try also 777

4. go to www.mydomain/install and fill the name of the database and the user, got the confirm that the communication succesfull

after that my web said that i do not have permission to enter www.mydomain.com/install/install.php... step 2

Then I try to upload by ftp, and following step 3 and got the message that the instalation has succes to communicate with the data base, but still the web redirect to the message that I dont have permission to enter to the next step.....

Please Vger... I need your advised on this.... i nearly frustation :)

rully

follow your

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Hey there guy's,

I'm totally new (and a newbie) to oscommerce, could some one point me to a update install instructions file, I cant get the thing to install.

I'm really flying blind here, any chance someone might want to hold my hand on this install???? 8-)

Best Regards,

Snarpee

Well on my 3rd day trying to install this piece of cake open source automatic install that has been made easy for people to install.

No help, no support, no working, guess you get what you pay for......

By OScommerce...... time for a real software ware package.....................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hello and sorry do ask it again i read the post but i still cant fix this problem.

i set my sql server in my host i chaged the permmissions to the right files,but i still cant start the install.

i think that my server name shouldnt belocalhost but i really dont know what else to pot there.

please waiting for you kind help.

• 1 month later...

After instalation, I get the following errors in the ADMIN page:

Warning: session_save_path() [function.session-save-path]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 1003371/1003371 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid/gid 0/0 in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 165

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:165) in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:165) in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/sessions.php:165) in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 22

And on the catalog site, I guet the following BEFORE the template design:

Warning: session_save_path() [function.session-save-path]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid/gid is 1003371/1003371 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid/gid 0/0 in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 169

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/includes/functions/sessions.php:169) in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/includes/functions/sessions.php:169) in /mounted-storage/home129/sub008/sc70824-KNWA/naranjadulceflores.com/tienda/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 102

What do I do ti fix all of this?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vger

I was wondering as I am brand new to this whole thing and I have been learning as much as I can as I go along. I have managed to get the whole oscommerce template up and edited on my localhost "Home Machine" two questions though. How would I go about taking that specific site that I have worked on in my local host live to my godaddy hosting? And what would I need to get from godaddy to make my shoping cart work properly. Also if anyone has any idea, I would like to sell video clips how can I go about doing that?

Thank you so much for being kind to newbies :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, not new to osCommerce but this is the first install I have done for myself, naturally I have a problem!

I have installed to the root of the public_html folder as the store will be the website BUT in the URL i have a // to the store. So, it reads http://www.mystore.com//product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=3f8c44f1b21f076fb716b4dad2f22b51

Can anyone shed any light on why this is so and what I can do to change this?

Thanks.

You have a "/" in the /includes/configure.php file where you shouldn't.

You'll need to post the upper part of it to tell exactly where it is.

If you do post it be sure to leave out the DB info at the bottom of the file.

No one needs to see that part but you.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Thank you very much for that. I could start hacking the file about but here it is as you are clearly much better at this than I am:

<?php

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://hellrazorz.com');

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://hellrazorz.com');

define('ENABLE_SSL', false);

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'hellrazorz.com');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'hellrazorz.com');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/.//');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/.//');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/.//');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/.//');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/hellrazo/public_html/./');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

I thank you in advance for your help.

I see several things that don't appear correct.

However, I visted the site and it all seems to work and I don't get any // in any URL's.

I must assume you've fixed it already.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

I see several things that don't appear correct.

However, I visted the site and it all seems to work and I don't get any // in any URL's.

I must assume you've fixed it already.

As you see, I did fix it. I am a bit perplexed with this one because I did not do a regular install of osCommerce, I installed it from within c-panel as a module. Very odd.

Well, it just gets worse. When I go into the Administration Control Panel to change the Store Owner, Shop Name or even just the State in Customer Details when I type anything in and save it then come out of this line the line is left blank and no matter what I do, nothing will replace it.

Balls!

• 1 month later...

Vger,

Please when installing the oscommerce software this is the error message that pop up "

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yubag6mp/public_html/install/includes/functions/database.php on line 39"

Can somebody help am trying to install the oscommerce software and this is the error message I get

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/yubag6mp/public_html/install/includes/functions/database.php on line 39

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that XAMPP uses php5 by default, but comes bundled with php4 also. Go to http://localhost and into your XAMPP control panel. Then click on the XAMPP icon to shut down Apache, click on the switch-php.bat link and enter 4 when the terminal window pops up. Then restart Apache using php4.

Vger

Forgive me but I'm not able to find the "switch-php.bat link" you mention above. I even searched explorer for such a file. Do I have the wrong XAMPP version or am I missing something in these directions?

Many years ago I had this up and running but now on a new Win7 computer and years of not actually coding, I'm finding myself mixed in with the NEWB crowd again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

AJ

I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post. Thought I'd mention that I am running XAMPP Windows 1.7.7 installed via installer option. This is what it says it contains: Apache 2.2.21, MySQL 5.5.16, PHP 5.3.8, OpenSSL 1.0.0e, phpMyAdmin 3.4.5, XAMPP Control Panel 2.5, Webalizer 2.23-04, Mercury Mail Transport System v4.72, FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.39, Tomcat 7.0.21 (with mod_proxy_ajp as connector)

For Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

would it say it has both or do I have the wrong version to do the switching with?

You might have installed a version of xampp that does not have this switch in it.

I remember it was there when 5 fist came out.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

You might have installed a version of xampp that does not have this switch in it.

I remember it was there when 5 fist came out.

HTH

G

I think I read somewhere they stopped support for 4 so maybe they took it out... in anycase, maybe someone can answer me this then (feel free to move in inappropriate location). I'm trying to edit a php file and it references an old script where there are . used but the current file doesn't have the . just the words. I don't remember much about php so I'm not sure what the periods do but it won't work if I put them in or take them out. I'm assuming this is a 4/5 conflict of some kind?

Thanks

AJ

Archived