• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

BryceJr, thanks for the info, just seen it after re-installing xampp et al & placing a physical copy of catalog folder in xampp/htdocs and I was able to browse to the install.php, presumably these depreciated funstion messages would crop up if I moved on further into the install

thanks

ken

BryceJr, have followed all the links in your last post, the sourceforge.net download is now upto version 1.7.3, which by some stroke of luck is the version I have, so maybe I won't have the depreciated function issues

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BryceJr, have followed all the links in your last post, the sourceforge.net download is now upto version 1.7.3, which by some stroke of luck is the version I have, so maybe I won't have the depreciated function issues

When you get to sourceforge through the link I provided in that post, look for "XAMPP for WINDOWS" and click it to expand. Look for XAMPP ver. 1.7.1.

• 1 month later...

Great tutorial, i installed mine perfectly but of course as always something has to go wrong. once it was installed i received this message:

"

Finished!

Warning: fopen(/www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/.htaccess): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 417 Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 418 Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 419 Warning: fopen(/www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/robots.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 466 Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 467 Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /www/zxq.net/i/u/n/iunique/htdocs/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 468

The installation and configuration was successful!

"

everytime i try to visit the site i get this error, i cant seem to edit or do anything! HELP please!

thank you!

p.s im very new to all this and what ive done so far is far beyond my expectations so please go easy on me!

:)

Hi everyone, I am new to oscommerce and have a question about install, I have a web site allready up and running but want to change it to oscommerce, would I be able to install it in my public directory using the catalog folder so that my other site is still working, then when I have finished building the oscommerce site just move it over, or install it on my computer then uplaod it when I have finished building it, any ideas on which would be better would be great.

Hello!

I hope i post in the right forum ... Excuse me but i'm new here.

I try install OSC 3.0a5 and i get a problem on 1st step at "date base server" ; i see "Testing database connection.." and the small wheel turning, i have been waiting few minutes and 30mn, uninstall all, resintall etc but the problem is always same.

Any of you has an idea?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Hello!

I hope i post in the right forum ... Excuse me but i'm new here.

I try install OSC 3.0a5 and i get a problem on 1st step at "date base server" ; i see "Testing database connection.." and the small wheel turning, i have been waiting few minutes and 30mn, uninstall all, resintall etc but the problem is always same.

Any of you has an idea?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Wrong part of the forum.

Posts about v3.x need to be posted somewhere here

Look at the top of this page.

This part of the forum is for osCommerce Online Merchant v2.x support exclusively.

You probably shouldn't use v3 unless you're very good with PHP and MYSQL as it's not ready for "production" use.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vger,

please be gentle with me, this is my first post!!

Thanks for the more in depth insight into installing oscommerce.

I am wanting to initially develop my shop on my PC before I upload it.

I am having difficulty setting up the database also.

I have used the search function in the forum, but without exact string match clauses, there are thousands of hits, which are extremely confusing and relate to stuff that I am lightyears away from.

I am using the Xmapp suite, and can see the database creation within phpmyadmin. How do I find out how many fields I need to creat, their types / attributes. Is it a flat or relational database?

Has someone got a blank database that I could use?

I really do seem to be spending many hours going round in circles and never getting anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Glyn :'(

What type of website control panel are you using? Cpanel? I'm not sure what is allowed on here, but I provide website hosting services that include Cpanel website control that comes with Fantastico installed. Fantastico will automatically create the data base, etc, and install osCommerce in seconds, with point and click ease. In fact, I'll step you through the process, if you want. If you're interested, just send me an email and I will send details. You can be up and running in a flash, really, no kidding. Hope this post isn't something I can get banned for. If so, please forgive, moderator.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

i would like to ask why i m getting this error. i just install the oscommerce

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in C:\wamp\www\oscommerce\catalog\includes\classes\language.php on line 87

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in C:\wamp\www\oscommerce\catalog\includes\classes\language.php on line 87

please help me

regards

salman

See for example this topic about why this is happening (PHP 5.3 warns you to stop using this).

This is the most comprehensive fix:

OSC V2.2 RC2a PHP 5.3 Compatible Files

I am new to oscommerce. I installed the oscommerce without any problem. But when i tried to access it by my url it is not going to the catalog page unless i typed index.php. Also, what should i type to go to my administration tools page?

Pls help. Thanks in advance.

Shahid

• 4 weeks later...

hi @ all!!

1st: i am totally new in using oscommerce, trying to build a shop for a friend..

so here my problem starts: i uploaded the "catalog" folder to the root directory of our webspace (host is http://www.mkq.de/), while there is no configuration interface for the account (to activatie /deactivate stuff on the server)..

after uploading i changed the file / directory - attributes to 777 and opened the catalog - folder on the server in my browser, everything looks fine so far..

so the page opened and asked me for a new install, but the interface looks totally different to the one shown in the german forum - it' s the same version, for shure.. i do not have any boxes to check at all, omly a "continue" button for new installation..

then i' m asked to enter: "database server", "username", "password" and "database name"..

when i enter the login - data for the webspace it says:

"There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Access denied for user 'm2155'@'web1.mkq.de' (using password: YES)

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.

as there is no option to create an empty database on the server per contol panel - how am i able to connect to any database?? do i have to build one on the local machine and upload it??

we would be really thankful for any help and tips..!

Be aware that XAMPP uses php5 by default, but comes bundled with php4 also. Go to http://localhost and into your XAMPP control panel. Then click on the XAMPP icon to shut down Apache, click on the switch-php.bat link and enter 4 when the terminal window pops up. Then restart Apache using php4.

I have just downloaded XAMPP and i have found my way round it all ok but really for the life of me can't find where to do the above. Can anyone help?

Hey everybody

I need from your help - I don't know how to change a currently skin

I downloaded File Zilla, but i don't know where to put the files on cPanel

My friend was installed oscommerce, but he isn't here to help me

Excuse my poor english.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I uploaded the entire "catalog" directory regrettably. Can I change this without having to re-upload and install at the root so that my customers can go directly to my site? Or would it be better to redirect customers to the catalog page?

• 1 month later...

hi

i practiclly finished building my website using dreamweaver cs4.

i built 2 a couple of template and implemented them on my intire website including ofcourse index.php. should i just copy the script from the index there is in the zip to the index or template? are there any other files i should take care differntly if i have them allready on my server?

tnx.

hi vger

i have built my website in dreamweaver. in my site root i have allready a index.php and 2 template i buit with implacates all the php files i have their( a couple of hundreds). 1st that mean that i cant put the catalog folder only it content but in it i have index.php. how do i handle it? should i copy the script that there is in the index and paste it to my index? or maybe to the tamplate? i have an images folder of myself in mysite. should i just copy paste the images folder content that i downloaded? i upload all from dreamweaver. dont know if it makes any differnce.

thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The answer is in the first post of this thread, point 4:

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

The text you read on your page is the default page after a first install, you have to edit the catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file, which is your main page.

This thread covers a lot of install questions.

And if you are on a windows server what to do?

Also how do i make index.php show when i got to my domain www.blah.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, am a newbie and have just loaded oscommerce upto my website everthing went well deleted the install file as asked, also i changed the premission on the configure files in admin-includes and includes to 644, then to 444 and i still get the warning Iam able to write to configure files,is there something am doing wrong am using smart ftp if that helps .

Regards

Mr Refill ;)

Hi, am a newbie and have just loaded oscommerce upto my website everthing went well deleted the install file as asked, also i changed the premission on the configure files in admin-includes and includes to 644, then to 444 and i still get the warning Iam able to write to configure files,is there something am doing wrong am using smart ftp if that helps .

Regards

Mr Refill wink.gif

Hello,

The first thing to check is that the files actaully are changing permissions and not just reporting a success, try again from your hosting control panel to set the permissions, you can also use 400.

Nic

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

• 1 month later...

I am trying to install OSCommerce using SmartFTP and when I try to move the catalog file I keep getting this error? Anyone have any thoughts?

[22:04:33] Getting attributes of "/catalog".

[22:04:33] 2 No such file

[22:04:33] The operation has been added to the Transfer Queue. Check the Transfer Queue for the status.

Hi,

I have created my heavily modified osc site, I wanted to know how I adpot the installation files to get settings in the configuration table.

Select an sts template (not a major issue could set a default have about nine templates).

Upload logo image and pdf logo image

Insert store name and store url in an information page that is generic and only bits that change is the store name in two or three places and the store URL.

ie welcome to STORE_NAME you can visit us at STORE_URL. saved i the database as an info page. bla blah blah copyright STORE_NAME 2010.

also is there any way to automatically set the file permissionson config.php after the data has been written, My server will allow 444, and on hedaer_tags I need 755 i think.

just need to know what I need to edit and example would be appreciated.

Thanks

Getting better with mods but no programmer am I.

• 2 weeks later...

Please bare with me, I am new to everything. I installed OSC from my webhost's control panel and tried to follow instructions but did not see anywhere to put in the 777's mentioned in the install guide so just went about adding my products. (nothing looked the same on my computers, I tried Mac and PCs). I've backed up my catalog with all my products but how can I be sure the site will run correctly since I was unable to install according to directions? www.treasuresbylynn.com/store

• 4 weeks later...

Running Xampp server on local machine

Created a blank database for OScom 2.2

uploaded to my htdocs, edited the

admin/includes/configure.php

includes/configure.php

when i go to http://localhost/os22/install

it stops at ;

import Catalog Database:

Automatic Configuration:

cent seem to go to the next step.

I have edited my PHP.ini to: register_globals = On

edited .htaccess;

<IfModule mod_php4.c>

php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

php_value register_globals 1

</IfModule>

What am i doing wrng since its stuck at step 2?

Archived