• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

I am so stuck right here....

Noob... alert as well...

Get through the http://localhost/install/install.php and enter the database info. In phpMyAdmin I see te table and the data all there. But the install just sticks with "The database structure is now being imported. Please be patient during this procedure"

I am clueless as to what to try now.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been trying for hours to install the oscommerce to my root directory, I had it installed before but wanted to do a fresh install because I wanted the "catalog" out of my domain name.

I have uploaded all the contents of the catalog folder to my host root directory and changed all the folder and file permissions. Now when I go to www.mydomain.com/install I get a blank page that says....

Directory has no index file.

Browsing this site or directory without an index file is prohibited.

If you are the site's webmaster, you can remedy this problem by creating a default HTML page with one of the following names:

index.html

index.htm

default.htm

Default.htm

home.html

Home.chtml

NOTE: Filenames are case sensitive, i.e., Home.html is not the same as home.html

I do have an index file in there but still get this message. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

Ok I am really having problems with installing osCommerce without the catalog folder.

Let me explain in detail what my setup is and what I have done..

1, I use iPage as my server/host

2. I have my own domain

3. I set up a blank database

4. My server File Manager directory just says "root"

5. I have installed the osCommerce before with using catalog folder and it worked fine, I did change the folder permissions to.

6. I since have gone back and deleted all folders and catagories off the server and my FTP to start a clean install without the catalog folder.

7. I uploaded all files and folders that are inside the catalog folder and left the catalog folder behind.

8. I set folder permissions and the other permissions for the configure.php files.

9. Onc everything is set I go to my domain on the web www.mydomain.com and I get a blank page, so i tried www.mydomain.com/install and I get that page that says DIRECTORY HAS NO INDEX FILE.

I really need help with this, I am lost as to what to do. Let me mention I did restore the original osCommerce setup back on my server so now its back and running again, but I really do not want the catalog name at the end of my domain.

Also the other reason i started a new install is because when i would click on the My Account or Checkout Links I would get a blank page.

Can someone please help, I spen hours and hours trying to figure this out and just seam to do it.

I am willing to do a clean install if someone could guid me through the install without the catalog folder. I have looked at countless tutorials and still cant figure it out.

Thanks for your time.

Bruce

I really need help with this, I am lost as to what to do. Let me mention I did restore the original osCommerce setup back on my server so now its back and running again, but I really do not want the catalog name at the end of my domain.

All you need to do at this point is to ftp the files and folders (with the exception of the admin folder) to the root of your site, edit the includes/configure.php file that was previous in the catalog folder (I think it is only one or two lines that need changing) and it should work again.

No need to touch the database, install again or what else.

If you get a blank page, there is an error. Without knowing what the error is, there is no point in repeating installs or try something else. You need to know what the error is. It makes perfect sense for a setup not to show the error to the customer. Probably there is an error log somewhere with your hosting provider. Try to find where it is.

If the blank pages are with My account and checkout it most likely has to do with SSL. Since you are apparently just setting up your configure.php file is setup to use https pages where this is not yet working (certificates and all that are needed for that).

I'm doing a new installation over server and got this error:

The following error has occurred:

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:

cd /hsphere/local/home/orenji/domain.com/catalog/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

cd /hsphere/local/home/orenji/domain.com/catalog/admin/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

both files are set to 777 but installation still can't go thru, and anyone kindly explain what is 706? thanks.

• 1 month later...

Ok, doing all this for the first time.

I have FTP'd the catalog folder to my root directory. Or so I think I did. I see the entire catalog folder in my CPANEL file manager. I have changed permissions to a few files. I can't get to the next step of the install process. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Aaron

Ok, doing all this for the first time.

I have FTP'd the catalog folder to my root directory. Or so I think I did. I see the entire catalog folder in my CPANEL file manager. I have changed permissions to a few files. I can't get to the next step of the install process. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Aaron

Nevermind...got it...

HELLO SOMEBODY ASSIST ME PLEASE...I JUST FINISHED INSTALLATION AND I AM SEEING THIS ON THE TOP OF MY PAGE:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/wayne/public_html/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO? AND ALSO I AM SEEING THIS ERRORS ON THE HOME PAGE TOO

Error Messages

If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.

Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete background color.

Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.

Editing Page Texts

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read here.

Online Documentation

Online documentation can be read at the osCommerce Knowledge Base site.

Support is available at the osCommerce Support Site.

HOW DO I REMOVE THEM

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/wayne/public_html/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

The answer is in the first post of this thread, point 4:

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

The text you read on your page is the default page after a first install, you have to edit the catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php file, which is your main page.

This thread covers a lot of install questions.

~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

Can someone please help me! I am trying to use the oscommerce guide and I am not sure what I am doing. I downloaded the information to my computer but I am not sure what everyone is talking about when they say make a blank site and download it to that. Please Please someone help me out.

• 1 month later...

hi vyger this is zeeshan.

i was purchased a ready script of shopping cart & i upload my catalog content files in my hosting & also create mysql.then i run install setup.after done all this process when i write my website name http://www.themrgoldman.com its shows following error

046 - No database selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

what can i do please help me.

hi vyger this is zeeshan.

i was purchased a ready script of shopping cart & i upload my catalog content files in my hosting & also create mysql.then i run install setup.after done all this process when i write my website name http://www.themrgoldman.com its shows following error

046 - No database selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

what can i do please help me.

Is this forum having posts deleted without the author being notified???

Surely if they are this needs to be notified #by email so we can find out what we are doing wrong??

Hello, I am one of many that need assistance in installing os Commerce. I am receiving the following message at the end of the installation process: Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in/on line 39.

Here's the quick install guide.

Did this: 1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

Did this: 2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

Did this: 3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog'>http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

Not sure how to set permissions: 4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

Did this: 5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

There is a backups folder: 6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Getting very frustrated. Please help.

Thank you.

Cliff

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

I'm very new to osCommerce. Thanks for these instructions. Just wondering where to find the installation guide or the knowledge base...?

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me. Im looking for that osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file on the osCommerce server but I only see the Online Merchant 2.2.

your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

I tried installing the oscommerce software but when i got to step 4 to change the permissions on admin/includes/configure.php i noticed that file isn't in my download of oscommerce.

So I couldn't change those perissions and when i tried to do the install /catalog/install i get the following parse error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /public_html/catalog/admin/includes/classes/language.php on line 20

this is the code that starts on line 20

public function loadIniFile($filename = null, $comment = '#', $language_code = null) {

if ( is_null($language_code) ) {

$language_code = $this->_code;

}

if ( $this->_languages[$language_code]['parent_id'] > 0 ) {

$this->loadIniFile($filename, $comment, $this->getCodeFromID($this->_languages[$language_code]['parent_id']));

}

if ( is_null($filename) ) {

if ( file_exists('includes/languages/' . $language_code . '.php') ) {

$contents = file('includes/languages/' . $language_code . '.php');

} else {

return array();

}

} else {

if ( substr(realpath('includes/languages/' . $language_code . '/' . $filename), 0, strlen(realpath('includes/languages/' . $language_code))) != realpath('includes/languages/' . $language_code) ) {

return array();

}

if ( !file_exists('includes/languages/' . $language_code . '/' . $filename) ) {

return array();

}

$contents = file('includes/languages/' . $language_code . '/' . $filename);

}

$ini_array = array();

foreach ( $contents as $line ) {

$line = trim($line);

$firstchar = substr($line, 0, 1);

if ( !empty($line) && ( $firstchar != $comment) ) {

$delimiter = strpos($line, '=');

if ( $delimiter !== false ) {

$key = trim(substr($line, 0, $delimiter));

$value = trim(substr($line, $delimiter + 1));

$ini_array[$key] = $value;

} elseif ( isset($key) ) {

$ini_array[$key] .= trim($line);

}

}

}

unset($contents);

$this->_definitions = array_merge($this->_definitions, $ini_array);

}

can someone help me to see what this means?

Can someone please help me?

I created the blank database (version 5.0), I uploaded the files with FTP, I uploaded the files to the root directory via FTP and I changed the permissions of the two configure.php files as indicated.

When I go to http://www.mydomain.com/install I get a page from my hosting provider with the "business profile" and at the bottom it says: "If this is your Web site, you can customize your business profile from your account at XXXXXX®. Click here to edit your business profile". I don't get the installation page.

What am I doing wrong?

Can someone please help me?

I created the blank database (version 5.0), I uploaded the files with FTP, I uploaded the files to the root directory via FTP and I changed the permissions of the two configure.php files as indicated.

When I go to http://www.mydomain.com/install I get a page from my hosting provider with the "business profile" and at the bottom it says: "If this is your Web site, you can customize your business profile from your account at XXXXXX®. Click here to edit your business profile". I don't get the installation page.

What am I doing wrong?

When you uploaded files to your server did you upload them to the root like this (yousite.com) or did you upload to a folder like (yoursite.com/catalog) if you uploaded to a folder instead on the root you must open the install file like this yoursite.com/catalog/install/install.php on some servers.If it is on the root try yoursite.com/install/install.php. If it doesn't work visit your cpanel go to file manager open the install folder and open the install.php in the browser.

Bo

Hello, I wanted to ask something about a new installation of oscommerce and add-ons. To Install OSCommerce with some add-ons, can copy the add-ons in the structure of OSComerce and upload to the server all together? or is it better to raise only OSCommerce and then install the Add-ons?.

Hello, I wanted to ask something about a new installation of oscommerce and add-ons. To Install OSCommerce with some add-ons, can copy the add-ons in the structure of OSComerce and upload to the server all together? or is it better to raise only OSCommerce and then install the Add-ons?.

Each addon has installation instructions. Some of them include copies of the modified files, some others are just instructions. In general the "large" addons include all copies of the modified files.

In this case you can copy over the files (replacing the originals) for the first addon you'll install. If the second one alters the same files as the first one, the you can not do this, obviously the alternations of the first addon will get lost. It's nothing else than replacing for example .doc files: There is a original text, and then many authors who add a single sentence each.

Fro the second addon on, you will need to merge files manually. It's a preposition of course to have osCommerce installed

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog'>http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

Hi. Why would I want to upload my store to www.yourdomain.com versus www.yourdomain.com/catalog? Are there advantages? Or any particular reason?

I searched for this because I'm sure someone has asked this before but I couldnt find an answer.

Thanks

Hello I'm a complete newbie to os-commerce

I'm thinking of re-writing my existing site using os-commerce as the cart, so I set about trying a local host install

I've downloaded xampp and all is well.

Created the blank database & then set about uploading the catalogue folder, things went downhill from here.

After much searching eventually got filezilla to access the folder but couldn't grasp how to upload it.

More searching leads me to many posts saying why bother, as its a local install I should just copy the folder to the xampp root folder

Will this work

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Check >>here for instructions.

If you downloaded the latest XAMPP, you'll surely have issues with "DEPRECATED FUNCTIONS".

You can either update your version manually, check >>here

--OR--

Do >>this

Hello I'm a complete newbie to os-commerce

I'm thinking of re-writing my existing site using os-commerce as the cart, so I set about trying a local host install

I've downloaded xampp and all is well.

Created the blank database & then set about uploading the catalogue folder, things went downhill from here.

After much searching eventually got filezilla to access the folder but couldn't grasp how to upload it.

More searching leads me to many posts saying why bother, as its a local install I should just copy the folder to the xampp root folder

Will this work

Check >>here for instructions.

If you downloaded the latest XAMPP, you'll surely have issues with "DEPRECATED FUNCTIONS".

You can either update your version manually, check >>here

--OR--

Do >>this

BryceJr, thanks for the info, just seen it after re-installing xampp et al & placing a physical copy of catalog folder in xampp/htdocs and I was able to browse to the install.php, presumably these depreciated funstion messages would crop up if I moved on further into the install

thanks

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product