• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

But i can´t CHMOD configure.php to not write.

My provider auto changes it back :(

Go to your hosts control panel and change it from there.

If that does not work ask your host's help desk.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys.

New to all this so please be patient.

I have tried installing os commerce through my control panel on the justhost control panel through their fantastico software.

Also tried uploading through ftp.

But the problem is that when I go to try and do the install it just gives me this message

# $Id: .htaccess 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

#

# This is used with Apache WebServers

#

# For this to work, you must include the parameter 'Options' to

# the AllowOverride configuration

#

# Example:

#

# <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

# AllowOverride Options

# </Directory>

#

# 'All' with also work. (This configuration is in the

# apache/conf/httpd.conf file)

# The following makes adjustments to the SSL protocol for Internet

# Explorer browsers

#<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>

# <IfDefine SSL>

# SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

# nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

# downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# </IfDefine>

#</IfModule>

# If Search Engine Friendly URLs do not work, try enabling the

# following Apache configuration parameter

# AcceptPathInfo On

# Fix certain PHP values

# (commented out by default to prevent errors occuring on certain

# servers)

# php_value session.use_trans_sid 0

# php_value register_globals 1

Don't know what to do?

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at using the installation process that godaddy includes in their webhosting.Are their any differences in how I would install? It looks like I would just click a button

thanks

chipinaw

nubee, but eager to learn...learning but oh so painful,

chipinaw

Why not just try it and play around with the results.

If it does not install version rc2a it might be a good idea to then do a manual install and get the latest stable version.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Hi,

I recently downloaded the Oscommerce version 2.2 package and uploaded the entire decompressed catalog file to the root directory via FTP. I followed the next step where it say to go http://yourserver/catalog/install/ which in my case is http://www.klwholesalers.com.au/catalog/install and I had a 404 error that page doesn't exist. Please help me out! Thanks :D

If your trying to run an oscommerce store in http/yoursite/catalog then get rid if the java script in the catalog folder. If you you have the oscommerce in another folder then it will be http://yoursite.com/whatevername the folder is. If you are putting it on the root then it is http://yoursite.com/install/install.php but you can't have a java script running and another site running in the same folder.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Warning: require(database/mysql.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tony/public_html/osc/includes/classes/database.php on line 33

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'database/mysql.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tony/public_html/osc/includes/classes/database.php on line 33

After install on CentOS Server I get this error.

Warning: require(database/mysql.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tony/public_html/osc/includes/classes/database.php on line 33

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'database/mysql.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tony/public_html/osc/includes/classes/database.php on line 33

do you actually know the different versions of osCommerce? the database class referred to is only found in osc v3.x, so ask your question the osc v3.x forum.

btw r u sure u have uploaded all files to the server?

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

So you tinkered with your osC3 installation because otherwise you wouldn't get this error.

That file is indeed not there because alpha 5 only supports the mysqli functions. For this the file mysqli.php is in that folder.

You could try a mysql class and see if that works.

So you tinkered with your osC3 installation because otherwise you wouldn't get this error.

That file is indeed not there because alpha 5 only supports the mysqli functions. For this the file mysqli.php is in that folder.

You could try a mysql class and see if that works.

Your right I just lookedinto it and nope msqli is not on my server.

Thanks for pointing out that.

I go and check how easy it is to get mysqli into my php without messing up my whm/cpanel installation.

Otherwise I try version 2

includes/configure.php

admin/includes/configure.php

Vger

I have attempted to set the permissions to both of the config files, however it continues to tell me Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file. and I go and reset the attriubutes but whgen I do they are back to the previous setting.

Any pointers?

I have attempted to set the permissions to both of the config files, however it continues to tell me Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /includes/configure.php.

Did you try the instructions in this post?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I can go to step 5 with no problem but when I do step 5 the explorer gives "HTTP 404" ERROR, what is the reason of that? I put the catolog folder to my root directory via FTP, I am trying to install by www.mydomain.com/catolog/install but it give error, someone help please. Thank you

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Hello, I can go to step 5 with no problem but when I do step 5 the explorer gives "HTTP 404" ERROR, what is the reason of that? I put the catolog folder to my root directory via FTP, I am trying to install by www.mydomain.com/catolog/install but it give error, someone help please. Thank you

It should be 'catalog' not 'catolog'

Hi,

I've been using osCommerce for a while and updated it about twice. Well, I got lazy for years and now I'm looking for another (major) update. Last update was oscommerce-2.2ms-060817 and now I see 22rc2. Can I just jump in or I need to pass through rc1?

Will "Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development)" be fixed after all the updates? :) (I don't see it on the Upgrade Notes though) Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

VGER thanks for the guide.

I've downloaded it today and got it up and running on my Xampp server without any major issues. However there are a couple of little problems

1/ I've set both my configure.php files to 'read only'(400) but I'm still getting the warning - "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: C:/xampp/htdocs/commerce/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file." I think I read all the post appertaining to this and acted accordingly, but the warning persists.

2/ Can you tell me how to:

using my localhost server.

1/ I've set both my configure.php files to 'read only'(400) but I'm still getting the warning - "Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: C:/xampp/htdocs/commerce/includes/configure.php.
On Windows, go to the file. Right click, choose properties. Check the checkbox for Read Only. Click Apply. Click OK.

You should not need to protect your admin folder on localhost, as you should have it firewalled away from external connections. However, if you really want to do so, look up htpasswd. In particular, Google seems to have good results for "password protect apache directory".

Always back up before making changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm new to web development and have been struggling with the initial setup of my local server for the purposes of testing. I have installed Xampp and Filezilla Client, and now need to upload and install osCommerce the local server but this is where I have so far had no luck.

In previous posts it has been suggested that Xampp installs with PHP5 as default, but osCommerce requires PHP4, is this still the case, and if so could someone walk me through the process of changing this on the local web server as I cannot find the 'switch-php.bat' file that is referred to in the original instructions?

In addition to this could someone please guide me through getting the upload correct using Filezilla, as I can not figure out where exactly I need to be upload the osCommerce installation files too.

Many thanks for any assistance you can give.

Tigger

Man I've been trying for the last several hours to install osc without success, I ve been reading and following the intrsuctions of this post but i can't just get passed the database setup screen .So ive decided to finaly post here like the usual i get this: " There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Access denied for user 'myname_name'@'box6777.host.com' (using password: YES)"

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.I set up all the folders to 777 and i get a blank page then to 755 and it s working but i still get this error, the both config.php i did set them to 777and i do have a new empty database set up, some help would be nice thanks

Archived