• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

Hi, I have a problem I am hoping someone can help me with, once I go through the install pricess I get the following error message.... I cannot get into the control panel once I install...

1146 - Table 'mysql.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

This may help.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.0.1'

I cant pass this one. Need help...yap, i'm girl without php knowledge :(

Are you installing on your PC? If so, and you created the database, try using localhost instead of ip address.

Step 3 of the "quick install guide" from above >> After installation onto the webserver, I do not see the "catalog" directory under my <server name>/os_commerce directory or anywhere else. Can someone help? Do I need to get this directory from somewhere else or extract it from somewhere? Thanks.

My main reason for finding the "catalog" directory is to move the catalog files onto the root path of the server.

Thanks!!

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

there is no box to untick ..so what should i do to disable SSL?

My payflow works, but I my site default currency is Euros, and when the order is submitted, the amount comes through in my PayPal account as US Dollars.

Example: €250 item purchased, paypal amount billed $250 USD.

How do I get this to do a currency conversion? Is it on the PHP module side or is it in the PayPal settings somewhere?

Please help!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi,

I've installed the catalog files to the public_html root and changed all the permissions including adding a database. Basically everything is done as far as steps 1-4 go.

When I type www.mysite.com/install I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /install on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any thoughts?

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Hi Vger,

I just wondered if I changed directories with my server - deleted one domain and then added it on (as having troubles with my server) Can I simply upload my catalog directory as is to the new domain, then directory or do I need to still create a blank database? Everything is the way I want it right now with exception that I cannot see my images for new ones which are uploaded so I don't want to bother doing it all over again. I have downloaded it to my computer in its entirity.

Thanks for your help

Unconditional Love Makes The World Turn.

When we stop and smell the flowers, we can all live instead of merely existing. We spend too much time infront of computers daily and not enough time in wonderment and awe at what we can achieve in life. creating these beasts is both a blessing and a curse!

Believe in yourself as though no one else will and you will find that The World will begin to believe in You Too!

Hi Coopco,

I may be a little optuse as this heat is getting to me, however is it possible to see my catalog files on my computer just the same as on the internet? If so, how can I do this please? I have downloaded my entire catalog to my pc and it is formatted the way I want it to be. Just don't know the instruction to give it to start it running as though it were on my web site.

When we stop and smell the flowers, we can all live instead of merely existing. We spend too much time infront of computers daily and not enough time in wonderment and awe at what we can achieve in life. creating these beasts is both a blessing and a curse!

Believe in yourself as though no one else will and you will find that The World will begin to believe in You Too!

Hi Coopco,

I may be a little optuse as this heat is getting to me, however is it possible to see my catalog files on my computer just the same as on the internet? If so, how can I do this please? I have downloaded my entire catalog to my pc and it is formatted the way I want it to be. Just don't know the instruction to give it to start it running as though it were on my web site.

To run oscommerce on your PC you need to install PHP & mysql on it. Its easy to do if you follow these instructions - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646

Hi Vger,

I just wondered if I changed directories with my server - deleted one domain and then added it on (as having troubles with my server) Can I simply upload my catalog directory as is to the new domain, then directory or do I need to still create a blank database? Everything is the way I want it right now with exception that I cannot see my images for new ones which are uploaded so I don't want to bother doing it all over again. I have downloaded it to my computer in its entirity.

Thanks for your help

The db does not need to be recreated.

Usually it is just a matter of minor adjustments in both configure.php files when you move your store location.

Hi Coopco,

As Lynda said. I use wamp myself, both do the same thing. Once installed, and osc is installed under it, you can use your browser to view the files as you would on the net.

Bit more. Install wamp or xamp. Install the same version of osc as your shop is.

Copy all your web files except the two configure.php files to the store location on your pc.

Delete the db created by the local osc install.

Create another db of the same name with same user, password.

Import your shops db.

Minor tweaking from there.

You can make as many mistakes in the process as you like, and your customers will not be affected.

As for the web site, there is an add on called store in root that can guide you when changing the location of your catalog files.

To run oscommerce on your PC you need to install PHP & mysql on it. Its easy to do if you follow these instructions - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#646

Wow! This looks great, if not a little daunting for a newbie like me. However I don't mind challenges, this is the third time I have tried to get my oscommerce site up and running smoothly and only now (ooops, am I being superstitious..oh well, here goes nothing. I do have a backup after all.) I have it up and running at least 2/3rds of the way I would like it to be!

So thanks, I will download and then see what happens, if my computer crashes, no worries, I will have backed it all up to my partner's hard disk (he doesn't get crashes like I do)

Cheers

As Lynda said. I use wamp myself, both do the same thing. Once installed, and osc is installed under it, you can use your browser to view the files as you would on the net.

Bit more. Install wamp or xamp. Install the same version of osc as your shop is.

Copy all your web files except the two configure.php files to the store location on your pc.

Delete the db created by the local osc install.

Create another db of the same name with same user, password.

Import your shops db.

Minor tweaking from there.

You can make as many mistakes in the process as you like, and your customers will not be affected.

As for the web site, there is an add on called store in root that can guide you when changing the location of your catalog files.

Thanks so much for this one Coopco, I really like the look of this too. I think I will try this one first. Thanks for the info about installation and pre-installation. I would have just copied my "shop" to the hard drive and wondered why it didn't work! Silly me!

Oscommerce is a great program to work with once you get the idea of how it works. As a non programmer, it is a bit scary at first, however after a year or so, I am getting used to it. It is almost fun and I love when somthing works - like being able to change the colour of the font and the look and feel of my site.

Great Stuff!

OK gang...

I havn't been here in a while, Been using osc MS2 for a number of years with over 40 contributions. I have installed that one on many different domains without issue, by changing the config files.

But, I'm on to a few new projects, and thought I'd start with a brand new clean install, and install contributions I needed which are different than my previous version and usage.

I was able to install, and I always put the admin folder SEPERATE from the catalog folder. However admin path isn't working correctly. I checked the config files, and see they are now different than the older version I was using.

I suspect it is these lines:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/');
define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT . DIR_WS_ADMIN);

Admin is in my main directory... same level as the catalog directory. I should have figured this out in a few minutes... maybe because it's late, or maybe because I havn't edited OSC in quite a while.

What happens is the path comes up like this:

http://www.mydomain.com/admin/localhost/ad...?action=process

Notice the /admin/localhost/admin/ problem!

Somebody tweak that second line for me... thats what I suspect is my issue.

Thanks in advance!

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Mine doesn't reference the Admin in any form from includes/configure.php. The admin/includes/configure.php requires a change in address name.

Buck

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to change the permission to the configure.php files to 444 but it's not keeping the setting. The public_html is already set to 755. Does anyone have any idea. help :blink:

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to change the permission to the configure.php files to 444 but it's not keeping the setting. The public_html is already set to 755. Does anyone have any idea. help :blink:

If using your ftp program does not work you can use the following PHP script to change CHMOD: <?php $filename = "file.php"; chmod("/customers/mydomain.dk/mydomain.dk/httpd.www/$filename", 0777); echo "chmod for $filename was changed"; ?> Save the file as chmod.php in the root folder and execute it using the browser. You can read documentation on the CHMOD function on http://php.net/chmod/

Bengal221... I was having the same problem. You need to make sure not only the public_htm folders have the right permissions, but also the catalog folder, too. Or the change won't take. (as well as the includes folder )

If using your ftp program does not work you can use the following PHP script to change CHMOD: <?php $filename = "file.php"; chmod("/customers/mydomain.dk/mydomain.dk/httpd.www/$filename", 0777); echo "chmod for $filename was changed"; ?> Save the file as chmod.php in the root folder and execute it using the browser. You can read documentation on the CHMOD function on http://php.net/chmod/

Steve K AKA - Knipper -

Hi,

I do not understand what's wrong with it. I wanted to edit the Editing Page Text. I went to Tools -> Define Languages -> Index.php but it shows me this error msg:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/lencia/public_html/j-online/includes/languages/english/index.php

I also got error when I went to the File Manager wanted to edit stuff... and it shows me the same error again.

What's wrong with it ? :(

Hi,

I do not understand what's wrong with it. I wanted to edit the Editing Page Text. I went to Tools -> Define Languages -> Index.php but it shows me this error msg:

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /home/lencia/public_html/j-online/includes/languages/english/index.php

I also got error when I went to the File Manager wanted to edit stuff... and it shows me the same error again.

What's wrong with it ? :(

maybe you can set the permission into 755 at the /../english/index.php.

Rocdy

Beginner in php programming and still learning from this forums.

Special thanks for Oscommerce Community Forums that help me a lot. :-)

When I got to the end of installation I got this message

Warning: mysql_select_db() [function.mysql-select-db]: Access denied for user 'myuser'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/todoarte/public_html/catalog/install/includes/functions/database.php on line 29

I alreay changed all the CHMOD

Please , Can you help me ?

hey first time poster here

im trying to install oscommerce on to win 2003 iis6 mysql and php installed

i get to the first install page i enter the database server, username, password and database name click continue,

all i get is a little orange box in the lft hand of the screen saying "testing database connection"

nothing else happens i wait at this point for a long time any suggestions

all help would be much appreciated

maaklaaw

I tried to install on a GoDaddy hosted account 3 times. Each time I got a string of variations of:

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\catalog\install\templates\pages\install_4.php on line 117

Warning: fopen(D:/Hosting/3775074/html//includes/configure.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\catalog\install\templates\pages\install_4.php on line 116

As per earlier posts, I tried to set permissions with Filezilla. Right click, File Permissions. It says 'numeric value: xxx'. I change xxx to 706 and get

Command: SITE CHMOD 706 install_4.php

Response: 500 'SITE CHMOD 706 install_4.php': command not understood

The file permissions box also says 'You can use an x at any position to keep the permissions the original files have'.

Well, other posts say '706, 755, 777 depending on the server.

Does the xxx setting that I can't change mean it's already set for what the server wants?

The string D:\Hosting\3775074\html\ was prefilled on install, is that pulled from the server and correct, or a sample?

By Vger Nov 22 2005, 10:12 AM Downgrade to php 4+. php5 and osCommerce are not compatible.

Is this still true with oscommerce-2.2rc2a downloaded this week?

I made chmod.php and entered

<?php

chmod("/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

chmod("/admin/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

?>

Returned:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\chmod.php on line 2

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\chmod.php on line 3

Tried:

<?php

chmod("includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

chmod("admin/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

?>

Same error. Does the error confirm that D:\Hosting\3775074\html\ was correct on install?

Does 'reference' on this thread imply no one should answer me?

You can see I've tried.

Have Mercy!

Walter

My experience relates to osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2

I tried to install on a GoDaddy hosted account 3 times. Each time I got a string of variations of:

Warning: fputs(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\catalog\install\templates\pages\install_4.php on line 117

Warning: fopen(D:/Hosting/3775074/html//includes/configure.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\catalog\install\templates\pages\install_4.php on line 116

As per earlier posts, I tried to set permissions with Filezilla. Right click, File Permissions. It says 'numeric value: xxx'. I change xxx to 706 and get

Command: SITE CHMOD 706 install_4.php

Response: 500 'SITE CHMOD 706 install_4.php': command not understood

The file permissions box also says 'You can use an x at any position to keep the permissions the original files have'.

Well, other posts say '706, 755, 777 depending on the server.

Does the xxx setting that I can't change mean it's already set for what the server wants?

The string D:\Hosting\3775074\html\ was prefilled on install, is that pulled from the server and correct, or a sample?

By Vger Nov 22 2005, 10:12 AM Downgrade to php 4+. php5 and osCommerce are not compatible.

Is this still true with oscommerce-2.2rc2a downloaded this week?

I made chmod.php and entered

<?php

chmod("/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

chmod("/admin/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

?>

Returned:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\chmod.php on line 2

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\3775074\html\chmod.php on line 3

Tried:

<?php

chmod("includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

chmod("admin/includes/configure.php", 0706); // octal; correct value of mode

?>

Same error. Does the error confirm that D:\Hosting\3775074\html\ was correct on install?

Does 'reference' on this thread imply no one should answer me?

You can see I've tried.

Have Mercy!

Walter

CHMOD works with Linux/Unix servers. It looks like you are on a Windows based server.

Try to make the file(s) read-only.

Archived