• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

Btw... just to add on... when you said change the folders permissions, you mean all the folders in the catalog folder? I'm using Filezilla, so should I set it so that it only changes all the directories? Then after that do it again but this time just the files?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the server is set up correctly then all folders you upload should have permissions of 755 anyway. Otherwise you'll need to change all of them to 755, but if your server uses 777 permissions then some folders like 'images', 'graphs', and 'backups' will still need 777.

Vger

If the server is set up correctly then all folders you upload should have permissions of 755 anyway. Otherwise you'll need to change all of them to 755, but if your server uses 777 permissions then some folders like 'images', 'graphs', and 'backups' will still need 777.

Vger

Hrm... thats weird... my folder and file permissions after I uploaded the files using Filezilla is 666... My webhost is webhost4life.com... and they're running a windows server 08 system...

Go to http://www.apachefriends.org/en and download XAMPP to your computer. It's a 1-click install, and includes all you need, Apache server, PHP 4 and 5, Open SSL, Mail Server, FileZilla etc.

Once you've done the XAMPP installation then you can use the Quick Install Guide to get your local testing site up and running.

Be aware that XAMPP uses php5 by default, but comes bundled with php4 also. Go to http://localhost and into your XAMPP control panel. Then click on the XAMPP icon to shut down Apache, click on the switch-php.bat link and enter 4 when the terminal window pops up. Then restart Apache using php4.

Vger

Hi there

I went to the site and downloaded the "[16.06.08 12:26] xampp-win32-1.6.7-beta1.7z (31 MB)" file but now I don't know how to install it. When I click on the downloaded file it's asking me what program I wanna open it with? Do I need to download a seperate program to run it?

I'm new to osCommerce and am trying to set it up using the instructions in the forums.

Please help, thanks

Hi Vyger,

Do you have any ideas on how to install a local machine for testing, please?

Cheers!

Mike W

Hey, how do you fix the warnings and errors after the install on the admin page. Warning: require(includes/application_top.php) says it fails to open streams. by the looks of it the permissions are incorrect, but i changed them to every permission in the book. any suggestions?

Hey, how do you fix the warnings and errors after the install on the admin page. Warning: require(includes/application_top.php) says it fails to open streams. by the looks of it the permissions are incorrect, but i changed them to every permission in the book. any suggestions?

Guess I've got a similar problem as you... hehe...

You need to download the Installer version.

You've downloaded a set of files for manual install.

Vger

Hi there

I went to the site and downloaded the "[16.06.08 12:26] xampp-win32-1.6.7-beta1.7z (31 MB)" file but now I don't know how to install it. When I click on the downloaded file it's asking me what program I wanna open it with? Do I need to download a seperate program to run it?

I'm new to osCommerce and am trying to set it up using the instructions in the forums.

Please help, thanks

1. ALL folders should have permissions of 755, including sub-folders.

2. All files should have permissions of 644, except for the two configure.php files which should have permissions of 755 or 777 during the install.

3. After the install is complete - delete the 'install' folder and reset permissions on both configure.php files to 644, 444, or 400 - the permissions which are correct depends on your server setup.

Vger

when changing the permissions from the initial installation, should the changes be recursive?

I am using servage for my hosting company. they have an autoinstaller which I think is taking care of the admin login errors.

You need to download the Installer version.

You've downloaded a set of files for manual install.

Vger

Oh, I see, didn't realize that I downloaded the wrong file!

Will try downloading again, thanks Vger.

2. All files should have permissions of 644, except for the two configure.php files which should have permissions of 755 or 777 during the install.

3. After the install is complete - delete the 'install' folder and reset permissions on both configure.php files to 644, 444, or 400 - the permissions which are correct depends on your server setup.

Vger

Ok... so I managed to get past this...

My webhost gave full permissions on all the catalog folders and all that... and I set the two config files to 755... the installation finally went without problems... even solved the "Warning: I'm able to write to a certain file" warning... but after the installation... I still can't get into my adminstration tool... they keep asking me for my ID and password... which ID and password am I supposed to use? The one the installation asked for? I keep doing that, and they ask me 3 times before saying that I don't have permission to access it...

Well, if you don't know your own User Name and Password then I can't help with that.

If you are using one of the RC versions of osCommerce then it comes with a Login page for admin, and the User Name and Password for that are set by yourself during the install.

But from what you say it sounds as if you are using .htaccess protection on the admin folder itself. If this is an automated (Fantastico/cPanel) install then the User Name and Password for .htaccess will be the same as your User Name and Password to access your hosting control panel.

Vger

Vger

Sorry to bring this up again, but does every single file & folder in the home directory need to be set to these permissions? Just wanted 2 be safer than sorry. Thanks for all your posts!

Hi, this is my first post guys so please be gentle.

Ok here's my deal i downloaded the software and its working fine on my hosting server,

but since i would like to fool around with the design and the features, i found that it would be much easier to do everything locally and then upload it to my hosting server.

So i have xamp on my computer and i created a database on my localhost with phpmyadmin, but i cant seem to get thru the instalation process.

For database server I entred 127.0.0.1, for username and password i entred the one i use to log in to my computer.

This is what i get

"Access denied for user 'imacg5'@'localhost' (using password: YES)".

What am i doing wrong?

am I entering the wrong info?

thanks in advance, you guys are amazing...

When XAMPP is installed the default user name is root. To change that you would have had to manually edit a few files, so unless you edited those files your user name is root.

Vger

When XAMPP is installed the default user name is root. To change that you would have had to manually edit a few files, so unless you edited those files your user name is root.

Vger

That was easy....Thank you so much Vger!

I am doing a New Installation and I am receiving Database Server error. I have GoDaddy. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

You need to log in to your database server. On the first page upon selecting a database(assuming you already created one), is an ip address, for example 10.3.2.1 <-- that is your databse server info you need to enter during installation.

i have my db server 10.3.2.x

username

pw

db name

but it keeps givingme this error

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

Thanks Vger, it worked. Now after I finished installation and configuration, I tried to access Administration Tool but it gives me this error

Unable to connect to database server!

I have it linked correctly

www.mysite.com/catalog/admin/

Archived