• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Quick Install Guide

Vger

i've tried that again, deleted all users and databases.

server: localhost

username: admin

password: ######

database name: natorg

There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.

Just to clarify, i'm using the database username and password (not my web hosting username and password)

ignore that, i tried one more time and this time it went in, same details as above. very bizzarre

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi,

I was install Oscommerce again in my host, but after installation this massage has shown:

Warning: session_save_path() [function.session-save-path]: SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 32050 is not allowed to access /tmp owned by uid 0 in /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 118

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php:118) in /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php on line 1174

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php:118) in /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php:118) in /home/tgf/public_html/shop/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Session Save Path and Safe Mode

-------------------------------

The error is a by-product of using PHP in Safe Mode.

To get around the problem go to your osCommerce Admin Panel -->

Configuration --> Sessions and set Session Save Path to just tmp

with no forward slash before or after tmp. You get this error even if you

have elected to store sessions in the database.

If the error prevents you from accessing your admin panel then

access the database via phpMyAdmin, go to the 'configuration' table,

find the Session Save Directory entry (there are several pages of

entries for this table), open it for editing and change /tmp to

just tmp with no slash before (or after) it.

Vger

Session Save Path and Safe Mode

-------------------------------

The error is a by-product of using PHP in Safe Mode.

To get around the problem go to your osCommerce Admin Panel -->

Configuration --> Sessions and set Session Save Path to just tmp

with no forward slash before or after tmp. You get this error even if you

have elected to store sessions in the database.

If the error prevents you from accessing your admin panel then

access the database via phpMyAdmin, go to the 'configuration' table,

find the Session Save Directory entry (there are several pages of

entries for this table), open it for editing and change /tmp to

just tmp with no slash before (or after) it.

Vger

Thanks alot :rolleyes:

Hello again!

I did what you suggested - dropped the tables and ran the install again, but I just get the same result each time - a white screen saying 'Unable to connect to database server!'

Any ideas? :s

Could it be something to do with the fact I'm using yahoo for the hosting? or perhaps I'm filling in something wrong? :/

anything you could suggest I'd appreciate!

If you do a search of this forum for Yahoo then you'll find that you've made one of the worst choices for hosting osCommerce sites. Other bad choices include GoDaddy and Fasthosts.

Vger

If you do a search of this forum for Yahoo then you'll find that you've made one of the worst choices for hosting osCommerce sites. Other bad choices include GoDaddy and Fasthosts.

Vger

oh dear - it was not actually me that chose Yahoo, I'm just trying to install oscommerce for a friend - does this mean I cant install oscommerce at all? :(

I am still having problems. I'm installing the mall version of OSCommerce (OSC-Mall) and can't even get to install. I've created the php.ini file for register_globals but continue to get the "FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!" page when going to the install path.

Any other permissions that need changing?

Andrea

www.pampermeplace.net

Server Requirement Error: register_globals is disabled in your PHP configuration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get this message when Register Globals is set to 'off' in a file called php.ini.

On a shared server you may have access to a 'local' copy of php.ini, but it's most

likely that you won't. If you do then you can edit your local copy to set

Register Globals to 'on'. On a shared server you certainly won't have access to

the main php.ini file which is for all sites on the server.

What can you do if you don't have access to a php.ini file?

1. You can create a file called php.ini and put this inside the file: Register Globals = On

2. You then put this file in the catalog folder (if you use one), and again inside the

admin folder, and yet again inside the install folder.

3. If your site is hosted on an Apache server with a Unix or Linux Operating System then

you can try turning on Register Globals by the use of a .htaccess file in the folder level

where your osCommerce website will be located, with this code in it: php_flag register_globals on

and you can also try: php_value register_globals on or you can try using 1 instead of on

4. You cannot use .htaccess files on a Windows server and the use of .htaccess to turn

on Register Globals may not even work on an Apache server, because your host may have

disallowed it.

5. If all else fails you can install the Register Globals Patch by Richard Bentley which

is available from the Contributions section of the osCommerce Forums. This enables the

default osCommerce to work with Register Globals set to off in php.ini.

6. Be aware that if you use the Register Globals Patch most Contributions (add-ons)

available for osCommerce won't work on your website without modification, because

most are not written to work with Register Globals set to off in php.ini

Vger

Hi Vger

I have installed an oscommerce template and everything was ok and the website was great until i installed a contribution of another language , i got that error

Warning: require(includes/languages/.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /misc/38/000/002/686/4/user/web/mysite.com/includes/application_top.php on line 284

Warning: require(includes/languages/.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /misc/38/000/002/686/4/user/web/mysite.com/includes/application_top.php on line 284

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /misc/38/000/002/686/4/user/web/mysite.com/includes/application_top.php on line 284

The language contribution i used to install it with other templates and everything was ok and never got that error

I have searched the forum but i didnot know how to fix it

Thanks

This forum thread is only for people who are having problems with the basic install of osCommerce. Please open a thread of your own elsewhere on the forums.

Vger

This forum thread is only for people who are having problems with the basic install of osCommerce. Please open a thread of your own elsewhere on the forums.

Vger

I will

Thanks

Good Day to everyone!

I am new and I have no understanding whatsoever with the jargon. Is there a more "barney" terms area I can go to? I am barely new to HTML and I definately have no clue on PHP. I had no clue on setting permissions or changing I am actually loading the catalog file to the public file on host. It is taking for ever,lol Is this normal?

Thanks for your support.

rideacowboy

If you want your website to be seen by people at http://www.yourdomain.com then upload the contents of the catalog folder to the root of your web hosting - but not the folder itself.

If you want your website to be viewed by people at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then just upload the catalog folder and all of its contents to the root of your web.

By "the root of your web" I mean the folder provided by your hosting company where all of your website folders and files go e.g. htdocs, httpdocs, public_html, html etc.

You can change permissions on files using the "File Manager" link in your web hosting control panel.

As for anything else - sorry, it doesn't get any simpler - you will need to learn.

Vger

Thanks so much. Now to make the changes is that also inside the cp of my host or well, when it loads up does it load as it shows in the demonstartion? I guess that will be my next question. Thanks so much

I'm posting this here so that people who need to can find a quick Installation Guide for osCommerce. It goes a bit further than the Installation Guide in the Knowledge Base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the quick install guide.

1. Create a blank database via your web hosting control panel.

2. Download the osCommerce 2.2 MS2 zip file from the downloads section of www.oscommerce.com, unzip it and extract the 'catalog' folder.

3. If you want your shop to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then upload the whole of the catalog folder to the root directory of your website via FTP. If you want the site to be available at http://www.yourdomain.com then just upload all of the contents of the catalog folder, but not the folder itself.

4. Make sure that the permissions on all of the folders are set to 755, and if that does not work then set them to 777. Make sure that the includes/configure.php file and the admin/includes/configure.php file are set to 777 for the duration of the install. Once the install is complete reset to 644, 444, or 400 depending on your server setup.

5. Then go to http://www.yourdomain.com/install and begin the install procedure. Your DB Server will probably be 'localhost', your db user name and password (for mysql access) will have been provided to you by your web hosting company. The name of the database you already know - because you just set it up. Do not enable SSL, elect to store sessions in the database and not files (untick the box), and do not enable persistent connections.

6. After the install create a folder called 'backups' inside the 'admin' folder (via FTP), and delete the install folder. Reset permissions on the two configure.php files.

7. Password Protect your 'admin' folder using the Password Protect feature in your web hosting control panel.

Away you go!

Vger

Can U do a 'line-by-line' example of the following: >>>>>>>>>

efine('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', ''); // your MySQL username that you use to log into your database

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', ''); // your MySQL password that you use to log into your database

define('DB_DATABASE', ''); // your MySQL database name

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/username/public_html/installdir/'); // replace username with your web server username and installdir with your installation directory name on each line

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.yourdomain.com/installdir'); // replace yourdomain with your own website domain on each line

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.yourdomain.com/installdir'); // do not include the www

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');

-----THX & God Bless in advance

You've already provided a line by line example yourself.

The database name, MySQL User Name and Password only you would know.

The DIR_FS_CATALOG pathway is the one provided by your host, and they are different on every server.

The DB_SERVER is usually 'localhost' but can be '127.0.0.1' which is the IP address of 'localhost' or it could be a specific address used by your hosts (especially when MySQL is on a different server to your website).

HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN would be just 'www.yourdomain.com' and the directory you install in would be covered by HTTP_COOKIE_PATH e.g. '/install_dir/'

Vger

Vger

Besides this.........godaddy are a bunch of THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can U do a 'line-by-line' example of the following: >>>>>>>>>

efine('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', ''); // your MySQL username that you use to log into your database

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', ''); // your MySQL password that you use to log into your database

define('DB_DATABASE', ''); // your MySQL database name

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/username/public_html/installdir/'); // replace username with your web server username and installdir with your installation directory name on each line

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.yourdomain.com/installdir'); // replace yourdomain with your own website domain on each line

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.yourdomain.com/installdir'); // do not include the www

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');

-----THX & God Bless in advance

I 'gave up' on this hours ago: If U have a paypal account AND give me 'a reasonable' fee quote, it's YOUR baby:-)

......it's a third party oscommerce ebook website I bought.

THX & awaiting UR reply.

-marc

Hi Vger,

Thanks so much for all the previous postings, they have helped.

I am stuck at the installation process, when i go to www.mysite.com/catalog/install I get this message:

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require('includes/application.php');

$page_contents = 'index.php';

require('templates/main_page.php');

?>

Sorry if you already covered this but I am not sure what to do now, looks like a missing file or moved file issue but not sure, any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced,

~Kyle

when going to www.mysite.com/admin i get this error can anyone help me??

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_redirect() in /homepages/40/d244533896/htdocs/admin/includes/application_top.php on line 150

It means that you have one or more 'admin' files which are missing or incomplete. Reload all 'admin' files except for the admin/includes/configure.php file.

Vger

Hi there,

I am installing on as server that keeps telling me this:

There was a problem connecting to the database server. The following error had occured:

Access denied for user 'abc'@'localhost' to database 'xyz'

Please verify the connection parameters and try again.

the database server is localhost and the user name is the only user name in the database and the name of the database matches with one I created before.

Should I look elsewere to find what else is missing.

Thanks Gon

Archived