• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STS Live Examples

Kev,

DONT DO IT.

Save yourself the headache and hassle of that useless tool. Or any other template system.

Mess with the original code and be MUCH better off!!!

Or not. Care to elaborate on "useless tool", "headache", "hassle" and "be much better off" individually? Cause that's not my experience with STS.

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Or not. Care to elaborate on "useless tool", "headache", "hassle" and "be much better off" individually? Cause that's not my experience with STS.

Iggy

STS adds uneccessary complications to the osc structure, adds complications for adding contributions later on and adds to the tottal query count for your site....

I have to agree with AfterDark/Kevin, dont do it...make the changes in the original files and you will be much happier in the long run....

For design tips, click on the link basics for osc design in my signature.

Edited by toyicebear

STS adds uneccessary complications to the osc structure, adds complications for adding contributions later on and adds to the tottal query count for your site....

I have to agree with AfterDark/Kevin, dont do it...make the changes in the original files and you will be much happier in the long run....

For design tips, click on the link basics for osc design in my signature.

I think the only one of those that's legitimate is the extra query count and not by much. In truth, I haven't seen any extra load or problems on sites serving moderately busy stores (12000+ uniques, 700000-800000 page views monthly).

I haven't run into a contrib that I needed yet that was affected by STS including attributes, shipping, product display, and payment mods.

The others sound like opinion, which you're certainly entitled to, but are you sure you're not commenting on BTS which IS a hassle, a headache and adds increased complexity? Again, what you describe is not my experience with STS.

Iggy

I agree with everyone on the whole STS issue. However, it only depends on your needs. What matters is sales, and mixing it up with STS and a little elbow grease with the stock code is a good mixture.

http://www.i-muffs.com/

yes, STS has caused me certain problems when it comes to contribs. But my god, go through the listing of live stores and you'll see a couple hours into your search that most of the stores look the same. STS at least gives you the abilty to change it up a little.

my biggest problem is that my client only sells 1 item.....I initially created a custom shopping cart from scratch but they wanted all the pretty bells and whistles of the backend system in OSC (shipping quotes, etc).

modifying the code of OSC is hard.......it's actually easier for me to change a major function then it is to remove a <table> call or format the way it looks.

yes, STS has caused me certain problems when it comes to contribs.

Which contribs just for my own info? I'm guessing things that required creating an entry for a box?

Iggy

Which contribs just for my own info? I'm guessing things that required creating an entry for a box?

Iggy

'

Well, for one, the ever important Credit Vouchers/Gift contrib. I know it dosn't work right out of the box normally anyways, but it wreaks havoc with STS.

For instance, alot of the calls to the language files come out exactly like there variable names...

i.e. something like "HEADER_TITLE_CREATE_ACCOUNT" literally comes out exactly like its written, instead of the actual text that is defined by the statement.......I don't know if thats the right example, but it's pretty much across the board. I know that it can be fixed though...it's just such a major contribution that its hard to really pinpoint problems.

'

Well, for one, the ever important Credit Vouchers/Gift contrib. I know it dosn't work right out of the box normally anyways, but it wreaks havoc with STS.?

For instance, alot of the calls to the language files come out exactly like there variable names...

i.e. something like "HEADER_TITLE_CREATE_ACCOUNT" literally comes out exactly like its written, instead of the actual text that is defined by the statement.......I don't know if thats the right example, but it's pretty much across the board.? I know that it can be fixed though...it's just such a major contribution that its hard to really pinpoint problems.

I've gotten CCGV working with STS. CCGV is a mess currently and I wouldn't assume STS is the problem. I'm not really super interested in defending STS too vigourously (more like unsubstantiated claims put a bug in my ass) but STS is just a wrapper for osC functions and doesn't really plop ANY code into the main files. In fact it does it's thing with surprsingly few changes and I haven't had to step around it anywhere except for mods that add boxes. Don't use the STS product_info unless you want to. I don't see the need really. Maybe that's where you guys are encountering problems.

Here's a list of mods that will all run together without hassle under STS (well, there's hassle but it's not a problem with STS)

AddBulletImages_1.0.zip

Admin_Access-2.1.zip

Authorizenet Consolidated v1.7b.zip

categories_description_MS2_1.9.zip

ccgv-513d

Column Product Listing (for Separate Pricing Per Customer v4.0) v1.0 Folder

CreditCardMask.txt

define_mainpage_v1.3.3_MS2

DropDownButtonInShoppingcart Folder

easy_populate_v2_76

EmailConfirmationField.txt

featured_products_v1.5.4

GoogleXMLSitemapv1.3.zip

Header Tags Controller v2.5.0.zip

Linkpoint_v1.5 Folder

MonthlySales-Tax_2.1.1.zip

order_editor_16a_1.zip

osCommerce-PayPal_IPN-v1.1.zip

OSCProductListingSelect.zip

product-tabsv1-1.zip

produts_name_in_nav.zip

qbi_v2_10.zip

qtpro4.2.zip

Review Approval System v1.2 Final.zip

Reviews_in_Product_Display_v2.2.zip

Searchbox_1.3B.zip

SEO_Assistant V_1.3.3.zip

separate_price_411.zip

SimpleTemplateSystem_2.01.zip

SpidersSessionKiller.zip

ultra_pics_updated

xsell_1_2_3.zip

NewAttributes_4B

OptionTypeFeature_1.6

Iggy

Edited by Iggy