• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Registry Contribution (Support Thread)

Baby Boy

I love the way the registry is put together. It is a great add-on.

I installed it on my website and most of it works great. I do need help with some items if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I do not know php at all and so I am stuck without the help of others.

1. There is an email that goes to the registry owner when someone buys something. I would like to disable this feature or fix it so that the purchaser can choose whether or not to include the registry owner when emailing.

2. If I click on continue shopping after placing items in the cart and choose more items to purchase from the registry, the items that were originally in the cart disappear and only the most recent items show in the shopping cart.

3. The item is supposed to be removed from the registry once added to the cart. Remove product from registry, once added to the cart in my admin configuration is set to true but the items remain on the registry unless they are purchased.

4. The registry is not supposed to allow higher quantities to be purchased than what is on the registry. In my admin configuration for the choice "Allow higher quantity or additional items to be purchased than in registry" it says false but the items still remain on the registry when in cart.

5. I cannot edit the quantities in the cart or remove an item from the cart.

6. When an order is cancelled that was from a registry purchase, the item still shows as purchased on the registry. Is there a fix for this?

7. I would like the purchaser to have the option to ship to the registry owner or to the purchaser's billing address. Currently, it only allows the items to be shipped to the registry owner.

I have edited my pages since the registry was installed and cannot try someone else's. Can you tell me how to fix any of these items.

Everything else is fabulous.

Thanks to anyone for any help provided.

Like a lot of you, I researched and loaded this mod at my client's request. I quoted (and received) $330 for this install and it was fairly straightforward. My client's site (http://kelseysbaby.com) has other mods so I can't perform a straight install and overwrite files. The mod worked as designed but there are things to know about it.

1- The design is centered this one process of adding from the registry. If you want to continue shopping or re-visit the registry, cart contents are not carried over. Each time you add from the registry, the cart zeros out.

2- Adding from registry forces visitors to log-in or create an account before going to the cart. A big turn-off! Normally, the only time a visitor faces the choice of creating an account or logging in, is when they have decided to check-out. Not with this mod; the choice comes way too early.

3- Need a way to print out registries for in-store use. Both online visitors and in-store help would like the ability to print out customer registries.

Number one rule about online commerce: do not confuse the customer. Customers WILL NOT trust their credit cards to anything that seems unusual. Disappearing cart contents and being forced to create an account JUST to add something to your cart are not the norm.

I uninstalled this mod until these issues can be resolved.

I contacted Marc Hauge who proposed a $120 to $140 range to install it for me. However, he didn’t install it (or even attempt to) during the time period set aside for him. Luckily, I didn’t pay in advance. I installed it myself.

I spoke with Gunter and his response is:

“You can't move one item at a time. You need to add all items at once and then immediately proceed to checkout. When I programmed this modification I looked at several registries and discussed the features in the OSCommerce forum. That's what we came up with at that time. You can either do a regular purchase or a registry purchase. A registry purchase clears the shopping cart.”

Regarding the issue where the visitor is required to open an account or log-in just to add an item to the cart, his response:

“That's intended as well.”

Hope all this information saves you time and effort. Atleast you know what to expect. This is an excellent mod but has issues that need to be resolved to be used in mainstream commerce.

Again I will state that this is a great add-on with a few exceptions.

And...after a little work I was able to resolve a couple of my issues on my own - so I decided to update my post with my outstanding issues.

I was able to get the quantity update and delete in the shopping cart to work to function for this module (don't know what I did but something worked) and I was also able to figure out how to move an item back to the registry when a registry order is cancelled by going into my database.

However, I still have these critical issues to resolve.

1. There is an email that goes to the registry owner when someone buys something. At the very least, I would like to disable this feature (or fix it so that the purchaser can choose whether or not to include the registry owner when emailing). People who are ordering and bringing the item to an event as a gift don't want the registry owner knowing that they purchased the item until they open the gift!!

2. The purchaser needs to have the option to ship to the registry owner or to the purchaser's billing address. If a purchaser is attending an event related to the registry, they want to bring the item with them. Currently, the registry only allows the items to be shipped to the registry owner. I have a note for people to let me know in the comments field to ship to the billing address, but the function of changing the shipping address really needs to be available to the purchaser at the time of check out.

3. If I click on continue shopping after placing items in the cart and choose more items to purchase from the registry, the items that were originally in the cart disappear and only the most recent items show in the shopping cart.

4. The item is supposed to be removed from the registry once added to the cart. Remove product from registry, once added to the cart in my admin configuration is set to true but the items remain on the registry unless they are purchased.

5. The registry is not supposed to allow higher quantities to be purchased than what is on the registry. In my admin configuration for the choice "Allow higher quantity or additional items to be purchased than in registry" it says false but the items still remain on the registry when in cart.

There is one more new issue that came up in testing the registry:

6. When you delete all items from the cart and then click on continue, it brings you back to the home page and you have to search for the registry again. There should really be a button that says "Back to Registry" and it should bring the customer back to the registry they were viewing.

I have edited my pages since the registry was installed and cannot overwrite them using someone else's. I have to manually go in and change existing code. Can anyone tell me how to fix any of these items.

Thanks to anyone for any help provided

Edited by Saniphelia

Okay, here is an update...I managed to find the code that sends the email to the registry owner in the checkout_process.php using WinMerge and restored it to the original code from osCommerce - so the registry owner no longer gets an email when someone buys something. I guess I will have to manually monitor items that come off the registry and ensure that they are not being delivered to the registry owner. If so, I will have to manually add the email.

The registry for some reason no longer lets someone purchase more than what is on it. Couldn't tell you how that managed to get fixed. I just started testing it for the email issue and after changing the file for the email code, this feature started working.

However, I still have these critical issues to resolve (the list is getting smaller - but it is the really critical issues that remain).

1. The purchaser needs to have the option to ship to the registry owner or to the purchaser's billing address. If a purchaser is attending an event related to the registry, they want to bring the item with them. Currently, the registry only allows the items to be shipped to the registry owner. I have a note for people to let me know in the comments field to ship to the billing address, but the function of changing the shipping address really needs to be available to the purchaser at the time of check out.

2. If I click on continue shopping after placing items in the cart and choose more items to purchase from the registry, the items that were originally in the cart disappear and only the most recent items show in the shopping cart.

3. The item is supposed to be removed from the registry once added to the cart. Remove product from registry, once added to the cart in my admin configuration is set to true but the items remain on the registry unless they are purchased.

4. When you delete all items from the cart and then click on continue, it brings you back to the home page and you have to search for the registry again. There should really be a button that says "Back to Registry" and it should bring the customer back to the registry they were viewing.

5. Something I would like to see - but it isn't critical is to have the invoice and packing slip state registry purchase - not critical but can be extremely useful and save a lot of time.

I have edited my pages since the registry was installed and cannot overwrite them using someone else's. I have to manually go in and change existing code. Can anyone tell me how to fix any of these items. Is anyone still trying?

Thanks to anyone for any help provided! If I come up with something I will certainly post it.

Edited by Saniphelia

• 2 months later...

After installing the Registry contribution I'm getting errors on the login and logoff pages.

Has anyone run in to this before?

----------------------------------------

When accessing: login.php?action=process

I get the following: Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /html/store/login.php on line 65

Line 65:		$registry->restore_contents();

When accessing: logoff.php

I get the following: Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /html/store/logoff.php on line 33

Line 33:		$registry->reset();

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I installed this add-on with the registry redux files and the only problem I have is that whenever I leave registry mode every item I have added to the registry gets added to the shopping cart. This only happens for items I add to the registry in the current session. It does not add the entire registry to the shopping cart.

I think the problem has to do with application_top. I also have QT Pro installed and there is a conflict between the two add-ons about 2/3 of the way down.

Can anyone help me understand how to use both of these add-ons together?

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I have had a big problem installing this add-on. Once I have made all of the changes the page comes up with no errors but nothing comes in the main (products section) of the page. If I click on any links I get an HTTP 500 error and the address bar looks like this

(not a live link, this is my internal development server)

http://drizzt/links.php?osCsid=l0plgg2b3f1atud015hetkr9g1.

I am not sure what the oscsid=... is but it comes up on every link I click on, if I take the oscsid information off of the address bar the page loads but without the page content in it.

I think this is a great add on and I really need this to work, so any input and help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by wileycoyote76

http://drizzt/links.php?osCsid=l0plgg2b3f1atud015hetkr9g1.

I am not sure what the oscsid=... is but it comes up on every link I click on, if I take the oscsid information off of the address bar the page loads but without the page content in it.

I found that the sessions was causing problems. I changed some settings in the admin config and resolved the bad links but I am still not able to get the content to show in the main page when I click on a link. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

has anyone work on the registry system base on one registry per account ? because I found out that most customer only need one registry, and also the "Click here" to Switch on function make a the system a little bit confused. Does anyone has any idea how to turn that turn on button off?

ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think that I need someone to help me finish some customizing to the registry plugin.

I was wondering if someone could tell me where would be a good source (company/person) to make some customizing to the registry plugin?

I need it to work like this site http://lewisgifts.com/

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should go check on the babyearth.com, I think their developer can make it happen. Here is their website.

http://www.katiebushdesign.com

• 3 weeks later...

Saniphelia - did you ever get your issues fixed?

1. The purchaser needs to have the option to ship to the registry owner or to the purchaser's billing address. If a purchaser is attending an event related to the registry, they want to bring the item with them. Currently, the registry only allows the items to be shipped to the registry owner. I have a note for people to let me know in the comments field to ship to the billing address, but the function of changing the shipping address really needs to be available to the purchaser at the time of check out.

4. When you delete all items from the cart and then click on continue, it brings you back to the home page and you have to search for the registry again. There should really be a button that says "Back to Registry" and it should bring the customer back to the registry they were viewing.

• 2 years later...

if you want to remove the notification function, you can change the

$email_order .= EMAIL_TEXT_PRODUCTS . "\n" .
			  EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n" .
			  $products_ordered .
			  EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n";
 $email_order_registry .= EMAIL_TEXT_PRODUCTS . "\n" .
					  EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n" .
					   $products_ordered .
					   EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n\n";

to

$email_order .= EMAIL_TEXT_PRODUCTS . "\n" .
			  EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n" .
			  $products_ordered .
			  EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n";
// $email_order_registry .= EMAIL_TEXT_PRODUCTS . "\n" .
			   //	    EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n" .
			 //		  $products_ordered .
			   //	    EMAIL_SEPARATOR . "\n\n";

under checkout_process.php

Edited by ken0306