• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta Tag Controller Support

BlueYon

About to uploading my meta tag controller. This contribution does the same sort of thing as header tag controller, but I feel the way I have done it is better more optimized method.

I have always used it on my site www.itchi-tech.co.uk, so I'm now releaing it because of all the requests for having getting header tag controller to work with my search engine friendly contribution.

Download here.

Edited by Johnson

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had just finished installing Header Tags Controller when I found this one.

Does one need to have Header Tags Controller to use your contribution?

I'm unclear how to use Header Tags Controller. If I add a product to one of my categories, where do I get the page name from.?????

I wanted to add other meta tags just besides the 3 or 4 in the controller program.

What kind of Tags does your contribution support. Can I just incorporate your into the Header Controller one?

I can't answer your questions regarding the subject of this post. However, I can answer your Header Tags questions. When you add a product, the tags are set in the admin->catalog section for that product. You need to edit the product to change the tags. Once set, they are loaded automatically.

If wou want to add more meta tags, then just edit the includes/header_tags.php file (at the bottom). Any changes you include there will be seen on all of your pages.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Very cool contrib so far! Quite simple but it seems to do the job!

I am seeing one problem though, when I load it in a given php file I see the name of that php file at teh top of the page above my logo, for example

index.php

Main Logo

Rest of Site...etc

Gotta look at the code, maybe something obvious is being missed?

The way you are doing this... instead of puttin on every php page in the main html folder. Could it be just put into one file? Say on the includes/store_header.php?

If there were defaults assigned then this would cover the entire store.

What about languages?

Kelly

About to uploading my meta tag controller. This contribution does the same sort of thing as header tag controller, but I feel the way I have done it is better more optimized method.

I have always used it on my site www.itchi-tech.co.uk, so I'm now releaing it because of all the requests for having getting header tag controller to work with my search engine friendly contribution.

I had just finished installing Header Tags Controller when I found this one.

Does one need to have Header Tags Controller to use your contribution?

I'm unclear how to use Header Tags Controller. If I add a product to one of my categories, where do I get the page name from.?????

I wanted to add other meta tags just besides the 3 or 4 in the controller program.

What kind of Tags does your contribution support. Can I just incorporate your into the Header Controller one?

This is not compatible with the header tags controller, its a completly new stand alone contribution which automatically creates meta tags.

Ie. With header tags you add the meta information when you add products...

With Meta Tag Controller Support, you do not add any meta information manually when you add products...the meta tags are generated automatically from the exisiting product information .

ToyIce, have you installed this contrib? If so did you notice the problem with the filename being displayed at the top of the page as well?

I'm still looking at the code but I'm not a programmer by trade so its proably something obvious I'm just not seeing.

ToyIce, have you installed this contrib?  If so did you notice the problem with the filename being displayed at the top of the page as well?

I'm still looking at the code but I'm not a programmer by trade so its proably something obvious I'm just not seeing.

I have not installed this one, i have just looked at the code, i might install it though....i have setup one web site for a client who uses the Search Engine Friendly Urls contrib, today its using a modifyed version of c-dynamic meta tags....but i might replace it with this one to try it out....

Cool, let us know if you figure out how to change that filename showing in the top left....i cant figure it out!

Quick fix....

In meta_tags.php change this in line 41

echo basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']);

To

//echo basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']);

i've installed header tags controller and am now using meta tags because of the incompatibility with ultimate SEO URLs

i'm thinking of taking the products_head_title_tag, products_head_desc_tag, and products_head_keywords_tag fields from products_description from header tags controller and adding them to the meta tags description. maybe also add an override check box to the admin section so you can turn off meta tag's default behavior and replace it with the customized header info.

just wanted to know if anyone is doing this, could use it?

The way you are doing this... instead of puttin on every php page in the main html folder. Could it be just put into one file? Say on the includes/store_header.php?

If there were defaults assigned then this would cover the entire store.

What about languages?

Kelly

i believe you can move

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_tags.php');

from the top of each file to the bottom of catalog/includes/application_top.php

this seems to work so far.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a newbie to php

I've installed this contrib.

Is there something that should be changed to the meta_tags.php file?

when I look to my tags, I get following info:

Title: NAVBAR_TITLE : QuadZone

Description: 41 QuadZone NAVBAR_TITLE Banden, Accessoires

Keywords: 43 Banden, Accessoires, NAVBAR_TITLE, QuadZone

What's the NAVBAR_TITLE doing there? Is this something that should be replaced in the code?

I had this contrib installed and working, along with the SEO contrib.... and now for some reason, it's no longer working. As far as I can remember, I haven't changed anything. I uploaded the file again, checked all of the php files in the catalog directory.... everything looks the same, it's just not working anymore. ACK! I think this one is going to drive me crazy. Any ideas? ;)

• 4 weeks later...
i believe you can move
require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_tags.php');

from the top of each file to the bottom of catalog/includes/application_top.php

this seems to work so far.

I tried that, and you get the NAVBAR_TITLE bug pointed out by Ieng.

The order of the includes is very important, so that the NAVBAR_TITLE is correctly defined. If you include meta_tags.php in application_top, NAVBAR_TITLE is not yet defined. Hence it shows up in your title bar.

Installed as documented, this works as advertised... so far for us anyway!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also just installed and am missing something basic here I just know it!!

uploaded meta_tags.php to /catalog/includes/

This line was no where in my pages, so I could not proceed..

<title><?php echo META_TAG_TITLE; ?></title>

what I did find was:

Repleace

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

so I replaced all instances of this with the suggested code:

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_tags.php'); ?>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo META_TAG_KEYWORDS; ?>">

The title does change but it's not right and the descriptions and keywords do not show at all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> 
<title>META_TAG_TITLE</title>

Where did I go wrong here??

Debbie D
Franklin County, VA "Moonshine Capitol of the World"
osCmax Mobile Template oscmaxtemplates.com

I also just installed and am missing something basic here I just know it!!

uploaded meta_tags.php to /catalog/includes/

This line was no where in my pages, so I could not proceed..

what I did find was:

Repleace

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

so I replaced all instances of this with the suggested code:

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'meta_tags.php'); ?>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo META_TAG_DESCRIPTION; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo META_TAG_KEYWORDS; ?>">

The title does change but it's not right and the descriptions and keywords do not show at all

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> 
<title>META_TAG_TITLE</title>

Where did I go wrong here??

Yeah, I didnt see <title><?php echo META_TAG_TITLE; ?></title> in the file mentioned either.

I thought of adding the code where you mentioned but since it didnt work for you I think I will leave mine as is.

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm a victim of circumstance

Yeah, I didnt see <title><?php echo META_TAG_TITLE; ?></title> in the file mentioned either.

I thought of adding the code where you mentioned but since it didnt work for you I think I will leave mine as is.

Thanks for sharing that.

Actually this has bugged me all day.. I just poked at it again and took it out.. replaced it all with another suggestion I found on the forum, but that didnt work.. so I went back and just tried this again and bingo.. I have meta tags and title descriptions.. not fabulous but they ARE there.. why it worled now and not earlier?? I dunno maybe the cookies??? maybe becuase it;s been hours since I was browsing??

I'm just poking now in the meta_tags.pho to see where I can tweak it to make any improvements.. however.. I am NOT a coder.. I consider myself more on the hacker side.. I can take someones code and decipher it.. but can;t write it for my life..

I'll post again if I make any real progress in refining this..

Oh.. the post above somewhere about commenting out a line.. you need to do that or it throws off the entire page by echo;ing the page file name to the very top left of the viewed page.. it actually is written to the page in a BAD place and I am sure some SE's and maybe even some browsers may not be happy about that

Debbie D

OK here's what I found but not sure yet where to go with it..

some pages show the page name AND the site name.. I want that..

most of the defines in meta_tags.php have :

. ' : ' . TITLE

at the end of the string..

lines: 174, 196, 204, 210, 214, 237, 267 all do not have it there.. I suppose I can just add it in there following the proper syntax.. but the pages it is not showing are not crtical except for the product pages.. I'd like it to show there..

so searching for where it's dumping in the price in the title.. I belive that would be line 196:

define('META_TAG_TITLE', meta_tag('title', $mt_product_info['products_name'] . ' - ' . $mt_products_price));

so I'm thinking to replace this with:

define('META_TAG_TITLE', meta_tag('title', $mt_product_info['products_name'] . ' - ' . $mt_products_price . ' : ' . TITLE));

the price is also referenced on line 237 with identical syntax.. so I can duplicate it there..

Looking at a few sample headers from the pages now.. they keywords and descriptions ain't that bad.. it is giving the top categories, store name and the item name if you are on a product page.. I think I'll leave well enough alone except for fooling with getting the store name on the product pages

Debbie

Debbie D